The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tips for a New Magblade?

• thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    thedude33 wrote: »
    I've been playing resto staff front bar with swallow soul, and 2hand back bar for burst and mobility. It feels really strong open world with the combination of ranged pressure and escapabilty. It has the same attack patterns of dual weild back bar but i actually think it's a tad stronger because you will always be in control of the fight and 2hand burst is actually equal to dual weild. It's strong 1v1 but it really shines for solo PvP. Being successful on magblade will depend on how much you are willing to put in. Its not a pick up and play class. Pretty much any build you can think of will be viable though so you can build how you want

How does 2h help burst for magblade ?

2h sword passive worrks also on spells

i tested the bow skill on pts, it feels awesomly unclunky now.. i like it alot!

Follow Up passive? Works for magicka abilities?

They have done work on Merciless Resolve on PTS ?
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thedude33 2 hand had the same burst damage as duel wield. So if you put your offensive ultimate and merciless on your 2hand bar you can one-shot Squishies. 2hand magblade also has the best mobility in the game. You can get in any spot you want while also being able to get away from any fight you don't want. If you never tried it I would give it a shot
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to use the XP bonus period to get my magblade from 34 to 50.

I lean towards the hit and run style. Picking off stragglers ... hitting someone in the backlines ...or someone running seige. Don't really enjoy the long drawn out 1v1, especially since I'm not very good.

That said I am leaning towards Elegant, Knight Slayer, War Maiden. Could also fit Stygian in there by using jewelry, staff and 1 piece Medium armor.

I should really get the PTS going. I spend too much cash on live servers testing different armors out, only to find my 'theory crafting' fail miserably

• Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing resto staff front bar with swallow soul, and 2hand back bar for burst and mobility. It feels really strong open world with the combination of ranged pressure and escapabilty. It has the same attack patterns of dual weild back bar but i actually think it's a tad stronger because you will always be in control of the fight and 2hand burst is actually equal to dual weild. It's strong 1v1 but it really shines for solo PvP. Being successful on magblade will depend on how much you are willing to put in. Its not a pick up and play class. Pretty much any build you can think of will be viable though so you can build how you want

How does 2h help burst for magblade ?

2h sword passive worrks also on spells

i tested the bow skill on pts, it feels awesomly unclunky now.. i like it alot!

Follow Up passive? Works for magicka abilities?

They have done work on Merciless Resolve on PTS ?

merciless resolve is now instant cast u can cancel the animation now and it feels great

the pro on 2 hander is simply u can use forward momentum for snare imunity (what is great) and the "heavy weapons" passive gives with 2h swords 5% more dmg. same like dw passive

/e follow up dont works imho because it says clearly attaks
    Edited by Trashs1 on October 19, 2017 1:20PM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

I lean towards the hit and run style. Picking off stragglers ... hitting someone in the backlines ...or someone running seige. Don't really enjoy the long drawn out 1v1, especially since I'm not very good.

That said I am leaning towards Elegant, Knight Slayer, War Maiden. Could also fit Stygian in there by using jewelry, staff and 1 piece Medium armor.

I should really get the PTS going. I spend too much cash on live servers testing different armors out, only to find my 'theory crafting' fail miserably

go to uesp build creator; invest a half an hour ant test your build

there is a line what says something like "real spell/weapon dmg" thats a good indicator even for pvp
  • Vovik
    Vovik
    ✭✭✭
    CavalryPK wrote: »
    Magblade is the only class I play (destroy / resto). the only major weakness it the mobility. if you get snared or rooted its pretty much over.

You tactics against roots and snares can not be reactive like most of stambuilds... (if rooted = dodge, if snared = cast shuffle) or like sorcs ( if rooted/snared = streak) or like magplas ( if rooted/snared = cast cleanse ).

Your tactics against roots/snares has to be proactive. for example.. before engaging the fight you have to anticipate you gonna get snared/rooted so you cast shade before you start the fight.

You cannot be on defensive as a magblade it is a death sentence. if you to attack in order to be healed. all of your class healing abilities require you to do dmg to your enemy (funnel health, leeching strikes, degeneration).

Currently I run War maiden (front) Lich (back) and skoria (zendran's build). I think best race is argonian.

my kill combo is (harvest + will +impale)...

Good luck

ps: thanks @Lexxypwns for honorable mention. much love

^
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭

there is a line what says something like "real spell/weapon dmg" thats a good indicator even for pvp

I use that. It gives an idea of the damage. The things it doesn't help with is how well some of the 5th piece bonuses work ..in real time, not theory. For instance I really like the sound of the 20% bonus damage from Stygians. Does it really work? Too clunky to use in a chaotic pvp environment?

• budrow
    budrow
    ✭✭✭
    Spooby
    Edited by budrow on October 20, 2017 3:16PM
    l PaleAle l
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-roll
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

I use that. It gives an idea of the damage. The things it doesn't help with is how well some of the 5th piece bonuses work ..in real time, not theory. For instance I really like the sound of the 20% bonus damage from Stygians. Does it really work? Too clunky to use in a chaotic pvp environment?

well since a magblade can cloack so much it could be funny, does this also count on heavy attacks?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

well since a magblade can cloack so much it could be funny, does this also count on heavy attacks?

Stygian, afaik, doesn't work at all and when it did work it took ~1.5 seconds after entering stealth to give your bonuses, making it supremely mediocre imo
  • StayAlfresco
    StayAlfresco
    ✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Stygian, afaik, doesn't work at all and when it did work it took ~1.5 seconds after entering stealth to give your bonuses, making it supremely mediocre imo

Wasn't that just a UI bug?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No, it was not just a UI bug, you didn't reliably get the damage in my testing, but that was way back upon 1T release so it may have changed again before it stopped working all together.

Besides, destro heavies pull you out of stealth and make you lose the stygian bonus anyway so its no good for burst since you can only light attack+skill and not charge a full destro heavy.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 23, 2017 3:16PM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm the only magicka NB using 5 pcs Way of Fire? xD

Surpisingly I have had decent results
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished leveling my very first Mag Nightblade to max AND I have been here since launch, crazy I know! So I was going to run a Spinner, Shackle, Valkyn combo. But would I be better off with Wizards or War Maiden instead of Spinners?
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished leveling my very first Mag Nightblade to max AND I have been here since launch, crazy I know! So I was going to run a Spinner, Shackle, Valkyn combo. But would I be better off with Wizards or War Maiden instead of Spinners?

You should use Wizard riposte if you want to play with healing ward only, and you should choose Necropotence if you want to play with Dampen.

You don't need 22 offensive set for making damage, NB is about pressure, so a defensive set like Necro or Wizard riposte make you tankier and more able to be on the offensive side instead of being in the dark defensive style.
  • StayAlfresco
    StayAlfresco
    ✭✭

No, it was not just a UI bug, you didn't reliably get the damage in my testing, but that was way back upon 1T release so it may have changed again before it stopped working all together.

Besides, destro heavies pull you out of stealth and make you lose the stygian bonus anyway so its no good for burst since you can only light attack+skill and not charge a full destro heavy.

I used it a couple of patches ago in a DW set up. I noticed to get the stats to show up on your character sheet you would have to bar swap. I can't specifically remember testing whether it was UI based or not, but I can't imagine I'd use it if it weren't. Hopefully I wasn't screwing myself running it and not knowing it lmao.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aedaryl wrote: »

You should use Wizard riposte if you want to play with healing ward only, and you should choose Necropotence if you want to play with Dampen.

You don't need 22 offensive set for making damage, NB is about pressure, so a defensive set like Necro or Wizard riposte make you tankier and more able to be on the offensive side instead of being in the dark defensive style.

Necro is not a defensive set, it is more a utility set because of its flexibility. Transmutation is a defensive set (for example)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two years ago I rolled a mDK because folks said they were the worst pvp class and I enjoy the challenge and reward of doing well on a class no one else believes in. Now that MDKs have been somewhat buffed and are all over the place, looking for a new challenge. Folks say mNB is the new hardest to play and worst pvp class, so rolling a new mNB.

What would you recommend for a first time magblade as far as build? Was thinking lich+wizards riposte+some monster 2pc. Thoughts? Any other tips for a first timer?

Magblade is as good as it’s been in a long time. We also just got buffed in CwC so will be even better. I will say the ceiling for magblade is high though so you still get that challenge.

Riposte, trans/warmaiden and skoria / bloodspawn has been extremely successful since day 1 morrowind. Highly recommend. Gives extreme tankiness and will help you practice timing burst up effectively.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just posted this in the bug forum. Not sure if its new or I just now found it

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/377858/shadow-image-out-of-range-locks-character-out-of-all-actions/p1?new=1

Anyway; I am testing a light armor, melee magblade, melee because I want to be in their face but I am using swallow soul as my spammable, along with refreshing paths, and sword and board spinners front bar and I just want to be there weaving to get my mercilous resolve to proc. Backbard spinners is not needed as its just resto heal and utility with cloak and shades, etc. Running Kags as my other 5 piece and bloodspawn, which also causes me to want to be in melee with a lot of uptime on soul harvest. I can still do damage at range with swallow soul and impale ( I suppose refreshing path if they stay put lol)

The HOTs seem to keep me alive ok and if pressure comes, I have healing ward and cloak.

Should this be a decent build? Anything I should change?
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tried out this @Alcast `s build (thank you Alcast :) ) and it was really great.

I even did not have the full set setup (there is either 5 Julianos, 5 Moondancer (from Maw of Lorkhaj), or 5 Julianos, 5 Infallible Mage (From trials Hel Ra, Aetherina Archive, Sanctum Ophidia).
    I used 5 Julianos, 5 Burning Spellweave and I did not use fire destro and ice destro, but fire and lightning ones and it was still really strong dps and very good resource sustainability too, I recommend!
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-nightblade-build-pve/
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    I tried out this @Alcast `s build (thank you Alcast :) ) and it was really great.

I even did not have the full set setup (there is either 5 Julianos, 5 Moondancer (from Maw of Lorkhaj), or 5 Julianos, 5 Infallible Mage (From trials Hel Ra, Aetherina Archive, Sanctum Ophidia).
    I used 5 Julianos, 5 Burning Spellweave and I did not use fire destro and ice destro, but fire and lightning ones and it was still really strong dps and very good resource sustainability too, I recommend!

u know this is the pvp forum?!
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

u know this is the pvp forum?!

aha, oops, I forgot :smiley:

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/377858/shadow-image-out-of-range-locks-character-out-of-all-actions/p1?new=1

Anyway; I am testing a light armor, melee magblade, melee because I want to be in their face but I am using swallow soul as my spammable, along with refreshing paths, and sword and board spinners front bar and I just want to be there weaving to get my mercilous resolve to proc. Backbard spinners is not needed as its just resto heal and utility with cloak and shades, etc. Running Kags as my other 5 piece and bloodspawn, which also causes me to want to be in melee with a lot of uptime on soul harvest. I can still do damage at range with swallow soul and impale ( I suppose refreshing path if they stay put lol)

The HOTs seem to keep me alive ok and if pressure comes, I have healing ward and cloak.

Sounds like i'm in the same boat. Decided to use the xp bonus from the event and new content with CWC to finally get around to levelling up my old magblade.. Finally hit 50 last night and stepped out into cyro for the first time.

I'm going the same way, ie light-armour, melee - but I've kid of been sitting on the fence on going light or heavy thinking I may need the extra survivability from heavy while still getting used to the class. But I went light, as it meant I could use some of my magsorc gear first to experiment with (without breaking the oh so empty bank). It's a bit light on impen tho.
    So was using 5 shackle, 5 war maiden, one chokethorn. Witchmothers drink and serpent mundus(!!). Nirnhoned 2-hander, infused resto. Sustain seems great - even using rapids as I havn't unlocked fwd momentum yet (but costs 8k stam - ouch!!).. But the mobility in stealth is unreal!

So skills are (2h) concealed weapon, merciless resolve, dark cloak (maybe should have went for other morph), siphoning, Lotus fan, soul harvest
    (resto) Funnel, Debilatate, healing ward, shadow image , retreating manoever, tether

Using the resto bar for range, 2-h for melee burst, relying on the stun from a stealthed concealed weapon to land soul-harvest.
    What I've learned so far:
    • I have a long way to go to get used to using shadow image.
    • I'm struggling to tell when merciless has procced - as I'm mostly doing those la's to get it to prog from the resto bar so can't see the icon change. Feels like I'm often doing a LOT more than 5 to get it to proc too.. starting to think i'm weaving too quick sometimes and losing the light attack..
    • dying very very quickly when getting out of position.. (git gud with shadow image?)

Any tips for this playstyle/suggestions for build tweaking (feels like I need more spelldmg, but not sue where to get it from - perhaps could drop serpent fwd momentum is unlocked..?) Thoughts on the cloak morph? My crit chance is in the high 40's, but it typically feels like only 10% of my attacks from stealth are critting..
    Is it worth crafting a heavy set of shacklebreaker?
    I was looking for wizards reposte rather than war-maiden initially, but couldn't find any for sale! (and already had a few bits of war-maiden in my bank)

It kind of feels *too* reliant on cloak for surviving at the mo.

Edited by Biro123 on October 27, 2017 9:39AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    technohic wrote: »

Sounds like i'm in the same boat. Decided to use the xp bonus from the event and new content with CWC to finally get around to levelling up my old magblade.. Finally hit 50 last night and stepped out into cyro for the first time.

I'm going the same way, ie light-armour, melee - but I've kid of been sitting on the fence on going light or heavy thinking I may need the extra survivability from heavy while still getting used to the class. But I went light, as it meant I could use some of my magsorc gear first to experiment with (without breaking the oh so empty bank). It's a bit light on impen tho.
    So was using 5 shackle, 5 war maiden, one chokethorn. Witchmothers drink and serpent mundus(!!). Nirnhoned 2-hander, infused resto. Sustain seems great - even using rapids as I havn't unlocked fwd momentum yet (but costs 8k stam - ouch!!).. But the mobility in stealth is unreal!

So skills are (2h) concealed weapon, merciless resolve, dark cloak (maybe should have went for other morph), siphoning, Lotus fan, soul harvest
    (resto) Funnel, Debilatate, healing ward, shadow image , retreating manoever, tether

Using the resto bar for range, 2-h for melee burst, relying on the stun from a stealthed concealed weapon to land soul-harvest.
    What I've learned so far:
    • I have a long way to go to get used to using shadow image.
    • I'm struggling to tell when merciless has procced - as I'm mostly doing those la's to get it to prog from the resto bar so can't see the icon change. Feels like I'm often doing a LOT more than 5 to get it to proc too.. starting to think i'm weaving too quick sometimes and losing the light attack..
    • dying very very quickly when getting out of position.. (git gud with shadow image?)

Any tips for this playstyle/suggestions for build tweaking (feels like I need more spelldmg, but not sue where to get it from - perhaps could drop serpent fwd momentum is unlocked..?) Thoughts on the cloak morph? My crit chance is in the high 40's, but it typically feels like only 10% of my attacks from stealth are critting..
    Is it worth crafting a heavy set of shacklebreaker?
    I was looking for wizards reposte rather than war-maiden initially, but couldn't find any for sale! (and already had a few bits of war-maiden in my bank)

It kind of feels *too* reliant on cloak for surviving at the mo.

Been working with mine at 50 for a few weeks just trying to figure out what best suits me.

I started off in heavy going melee and I found I could not be killed so long as I was not surprised by bigger numbers coming into the fight but kills took a while and the Calvary seemed to come often enough. And if it’s a more than 2 v 2 or more; I felt it took me too long to be exposed from stealth in melee range.

So; I went ranged heavy. It worked in group fights to where I could pop in and out of stealth and pick off people on the edge of Zergs here and there so long as a healer didn’t pick them up, and I definitely wasn’t getting killed outside of getting cornered somewhere in a keep or something. But the killing power still felt weak to me. Like a weak sorc. I have my magic bow which is sorta like Frags, but I don’t have curse to time with it and the execute is active rather than a passive.

So now I’m light armor. Traded 1 piece Kena and 5 piece on both bars with a destro/resto to just 5 piece on SnB where all my offense is with Bloodspawn trying to keep a little survival. Especially now that my offense is melee and I need to weave to get my big hitter. HOTs also really do go a long way at helping this and funnel health is close to hidden blade and cheaper. Hidden blade is pretty much just for speed for me and I can cloak and use it for a stun, but I use funnel health for spam even in melees

Same boat with you on learning shadow image still. Now; I do know to use it before teleporting in to pull me back out when I need to. That’s where I saw that bug.

I had issues with weave of staves getting my merciless resolve proc. I can see the damage numbers of the LA but it seemed like a lot more than 5 before proc. Hoping the melee weapon gives more consistency.
    Edited by technohic on October 27, 2017 10:48AM