The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

PvE Magicka Sorc Rotation (Asylum)

• Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Derra wrote: »
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    @Alcast
    Regarding "Deep Freeze, " after trying to reproduce it on a number of different targets, the only ones I've been consistently able to do it on are Wasps. I wonder if it is a bugged hold-over from the old version of the Frost status effect. It applies immediately to them every time, dropping them to the ground and stunning them. Other ground-based mobs and even other flying mobs don't seem to be effected by it.

Deep_Freeze_1.jpg

@ZOS_GinaBruno Any insight would be awesome.

I think it´s a comparable mechanic to explosion with fire dmg on zombies. Atleast i always thought it was...

Very good point, i completely forgot about this thanks for mentioning it. So that stuff is even stronger then I first thought lol.

So we have:
    Burning > EXPLOISION
    Chilled > DEEP FREEZE
    Concussion > ?

@dpencil1 Do you know if only ONE Player can apply those status effects on a boss? Or can several players apply those effects on the boss?

I guess this would also allow us to use Spelldamage and a Magicka Damage/return Glyph on the weapons instead of Shock/Fire.

This effects is not applying to bosses and certain groups of mobs can only get hit from 1 of this effects reserved for them. It's also very possible that it have cooldown.
    Edited by Juhasow on October 9, 2017 8:46PM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Juhasow
    Yeah we figured it out after some investigation. Some mobs are weak to certain elements, so get hit by these additional effects. Most bosses are not "weak" to any elements, so won't be effected by this stuff. In general, it's just something that gives you a little bonus against mobs that were already going to die in 2 seconds anyway, so...kinda meh.
    Edited by dpencil1 on October 9, 2017 9:12PM
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since I loathe pet Sorc with a passion because I was forced into playing that for the whole of Homestead, I decided to try some non-pet parses with the Asylum Destro. I know I know, I said plenty of times I wouldn't touch Sorc again as long as stamina builds are still viable, but whatever :D

I was pleasantly surprised to see that with Witchmother's Brew and the Absorb Magicka glyph, I was able to sustain a full light attack rotation. Now obviously, in raids, heavy attacking from time to time is still a necessity. But still, it felt good going back to Mag Sorc with the good old Frag's and the Inferno/Shock playstyle.

XULX3YL.png?1

69% Minor Vulnerability uptime... Which is okay, I guess for a solo user. I've been able to get it as high as 90% on some parses, so I take back what I said about Magblades being better suited for using this staff. Magblades would still have better sustain though and they won't have to rely on the Absorb Magicka glyph (which gives almost 150 magicka per second). I reckon that having 2 people using this staff in raids is a necessity.

After checking out your CP @dpencil1 I kinda see that I've totally messed up mine lol.
    Edited by Izaki on October 12, 2017 11:19AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    Not really sure how to link peoples forum name on here but I also detest pets, but as far as Izakis 40k parse besides the perfect asylum destro what other gear were you using? Also if the imperfect and perfect stay as they are, would I still see a gain in dps with imperfect or should I not even bother with it?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Camb0Sl1ce IMO the imperfect asylum Destro is useless as of PTS 3.2.2. Very much hoping they bring this closer to the perfect version, like all of the other asylum weapons. In its current state, a charged trait non-set staff is more likely to proc status effects from force pulse/crushing shock than a imperfect Asylum (42% vs 33%).

As for gear, I can't speak for what Izaki is using, but I believe Julianos is the best 5 piece set for this build. The weapon slots are taken by a VMA and an asylum staff. And the other 5 gear slots can be a monster set (Ilambris/Slimecraw/nerieneth) and jewelry set (willpower, IA, Moondancer, or architect). If you don't want to use a monster helm, 5 piece IA, Moondancer, or Mother's Sorrow also works well with Julianos.
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    Currently in using dpencil1s no pet set up he mentioned on another thread, 5 juli 5 IA 1 ilambris and vma back bar. Currently hitting 37k with it. Gotta a little excited about the 40k parse lol.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep I can confirm 40k is relatively easy to hit, and there's not much RNG with known status effect timing so it is repeatable.

CWC_40_K_No_Pets_or_Mines.png

CWC_40_K_No_Pets_or_Mines_2.png

@Camb0Sl1ce that gear setup sounds like it lacks an Asylum staff.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that setup didn't include Asylum, but all you have to do is drop the 1 monster piece.
    Edited by dpencil1 on October 12, 2017 8:25PM
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    Well hopefully ill be able to get my hands on a perfect staff then. Is your rotation from your other thread for no pet still viable as far as the asylum destro goes? @dpencil1
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Camb0Sl1ce
    Yeah, it should be fine. All you need to make Asylum work is multiple Force Pulses in the rotation, which will happen naturally in any non pet rotation.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep I can confirm 40k is relatively easy to hit, and there's not much RNG with known status effect timing so it is repeatable.

CWC_40_K_No_Pets_or_Mines.png

CWC_40_K_No_Pets_or_Mines_2.png

@Camb0Sl1ce that gear setup sounds like it lacks an Asylum staff.

Why you not using Frags??????? Its literally the only reason I went back to Sorc for a few hours lol
    @Camb0Sl1ce IMO the imperfect asylum Destro is useless as of PTS 3.2.2. Very much hoping they bring this closer to the perfect version, like all of the other asylum weapons. In its current state, a charged trait non-set staff is more likely to proc status effects from force pulse/crushing shock than a imperfect Asylum (42% vs 33%).

As for gear, I can't speak for what Izaki is using, but I believe Julianos is the best 5 piece set for this build. The weapon slots are taken by a VMA and an asylum staff. And the other 5 gear slots can be a monster set (Ilambris/Slimecraw/nerieneth) and jewelry set (willpower, IA, Moondancer, or architect). If you don't want to use a monster helm, 5 piece IA, Moondancer, or Mother's Sorrow also works well with Julianos.

Julianos and Moondancer was what I used, but Aether gives literally the exact same results.

I'd say that the ultimate BiS would be Burning Spellweave however, if you can play with an Inferno Blockade. Since the Asylum procs Burning and Spellweave procs from Burning, it has 60-62% uptime for me on average on my Magblade, so I'm going to try that on Sorc.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Izaki Yeah, it made me sad to take frags off my bar. I was using it and loving it in 3.2.0 and 3.2.1, but with having to cast twice as many crushing shocks in 3.2.2 there just isn't any room in the rotation. This is by far the biggest disappointment with the asylum Destro nerf.

I tested the possibility of using frags instead of curse, but there is only room to use it once every 12s, and if you don't have a proc at that moment it becomes a DPS loss. Could maybe get 2 frags out if using blockade instead of unstable, but I'm getting much better results with unstable wall on PTS, since it allows me to proc a berserker glyph every 6 seconds when on my back bar. Frags might still be worth it in a group if no other sorcs are putting out minor prophecy, but even casting frags in a rigid rotation is not fun. The reactive gameplay of frag procs and flexible rotations was effectively removed when the status effects became every other (or every 3rd) cast. Really hoping they revert this change.

At least the pet is no longer mandatory, I can't stand that stupid scamp. It likes to hide in walls, disappears for no reason, goes braindead every time I enter vMoL first boss, cannot get behind pillars, dies on every explosion on Lunar twins, dies to every world shaper on serpent, chain lightnings everyone on Mage, and manages to stun everything everywhere right before my tanks tries to chain it in. Good riddance to pet builds. I want to play a sorcerer, not a Daedra babysitter.

Now if only we could get a decent health pool while petless. And I also wish mag warden had the option of dropping pets without crippling their DPS.

As for spellweave, that sounds interesting, I have not tried it. I did try scathing and nerieneth with good results. An asylum crushing shock can do many direct damage hits at once (3 beams, 2-3 status effect procs, enchant proc, simultaneous light attack weave). So it is pretty much a guaranteed proc for both these sets every 4s. Still prefer Julianos though, since no RNG involved.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »
    I'd say that the ultimate BiS would be Burning Spellweave however, if you can play with an Inferno Blockade. Since the Asylum procs Burning and Spellweave procs from Burning, it has 60-62% uptime for me on average on my Magblade, so I'm going to try that on Sorc.

It proccs from any fire dmg - but has a distinct 2nd burning effect. But i could have misunderstood you.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Izaki Yeah, it made me sad to take frags off my bar. I was using it and loving it in 3.2.0 and 3.2.1, but with having to cast twice as many crushing shocks in 3.2.2 there just isn't any room in the rotation. This is by far the biggest disappointment with the asylum Destro nerf.

I tested the possibility of using frags instead of curse, but there is only room to use it once every 12s, and if you don't have a proc at that moment it becomes a DPS loss. Could maybe get 2 frags out if using blockade instead of unstable, but I'm getting much better results with unstable wall on PTS, since it allows me to proc a berserker glyph every 6 seconds when on my back bar. Frags might still be worth it in a group if no other sorcs are putting out minor prophecy, but even casting frags in a rigid rotation is not fun. The reactive gameplay of frag procs and flexible rotations was effectively removed when the status effects became every other (or every 3rd) cast. Really hoping they revert this change.

At least the pet is no longer mandatory, I can't stand that stupid scamp. It likes to hide in walls, disappears for no reason, goes braindead every time I enter vMoL first boss, cannot get behind pillars, dies on every explosion on Lunar twins, dies to every world shaper on serpent, chain lightnings everyone on Mage, and manages to stun everything everywhere right before my tanks tries to chain it in. Good riddance to pet builds. I want to play a sorcerer, not a Daedra babysitter.

Now if only we could get a decent health pool while petless. And I also wish mag warden had the option of dropping pets without crippling their DPS.

As for spellweave, that sounds interesting, I have not tried it. I did try scathing and nerieneth with good results. An asylum crushing shock can do many direct damage hits at once (3 beams, 2-3 status effect procs, enchant proc, simultaneous light attack weave). So it is pretty much a guaranteed proc for both these sets every 4s. Still prefer Julianos though, since no RNG involved.

Hmm, I was able to just do literally the same rotation as the non-pet Sorc in Homestead, with Frags and the execute. The status effect uptimes are at about 60%, which is fine since most groups who'll be able to pass this content will probably have at least 2 people using this staff. And the kinda low uptime is due to me not using Force Pulse at all during the execute phase. With my build (Witchmother and Absorb Magic glyph), you don't have to heavy attack at all which leaves enough room for Frags. Plus this also means that the 40k DPS doesn't come solely from having abnormally high status effect uptimes, which is also good. I didn't really have a fixed rotation aside from the rough idea of:
    Curse > DoTs > 6 weaves
    DoTs > Curse > 5 weaves
    DoTs > 5 weaves > Curse
    Repeat. I was using Frags on cooldown, priorities were: Liquid > Blockade > Ultimate > Curse > Frags > Endless Fury > Force Pulse.
    I guess if I held on to my Frags for slighly longer and did 2 Force Pulses as soon as I swapped to the front bar, the DPS and status uptimes would be higher. So yeah, I didn't really put much though into it, I just played the way I wanted to play Sorc!

Also in the parse I posted earlier, although I did use a Shock staff on the back bar, I didn't put the 75 CP into Thaum since I figured that my Direct Damage % was roughly the same, or maybe even higher than the DoT %. So I just used roughly the same CP distribution as Magblades: 49 Elemental Expert, 42 Erosion, 48 Elfborn, 44 Master at Arms, 44 Thaum, 3 Staff Expert. I did do some tests later on with the Exploiter passive and the results were more or less the same, so I figured, what's the point of bothering with it and screwing up your whole CP distribution?

I've tested Scathing and was disappointed. Nerien'eth was pretty good however. Also tested BSW now, and its around 60-63% uptime which is pretty good, but you have to drop the execute for Flame Reach which is something I don't like at all (sustain instantly becomes terrible too), so I'll stick to Julianos. Tried all of the Staff combinations and the results were the same (still no Exploiter CP).

I think that pet builds will still be present in the game and most likely preferred to non-pet Sorcs, since they deal absolutely ridiculous AoE damage. Magblades will probably get to use the Asylum destro instead.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Izaki I should have mentioned that my intent was to provide 100% uptime on status effects. Agreed that frags is great in a situation with more like 60% uptime, but even with 2 Asylum staff users that only gives 84% uptime. 3 would get 94%. I prefer a good solid 100%
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 17, 2017 1:52PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post above got cut off.

My current rotation uses crushing shock, unstable wall, liquid lightning, haunting curse and one heavy attack. The asylum procs are shown in bold and occur every 4s.

CS, CS, HA, CS, Swap, UW, Swap, CS, HC, CS, CS, Swap, LL, UW, Swap

Only status effect downtime is when I need to refresh ele drain (solo) or when mechanics get in the way in trials.

I could probably get a little more DPS out of force pulse, but I prefer the interrupts for vMA, vDSA, vHRC, and vMoL. This bar setup is most realistic for what I would run in trials (with Mage stone instead of lover).

• Daila820
    Daila820
    @WrathOfInnos Why mage stone and not apprentice?

Also, just from reading all of this, I assume this is all just with perfect asylum staves and set staves like juli are better than the imperfect asylum staves?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Daila820

Edited to correct calculations, the 20% CP multiplier is not applied to the max magicka from the Mage Mundus

After reviewing the numbers, I think Mage and Apprentice are very similar in effectiveness. Apprentice excels slightly in DPS on most skills (~1%), and excels in heavy attack builds and mines builds. Mage is better for sorcerer pet builds and better for defense due to shield scaling.

Mage stone is base 2028 max magicka. This gets a multiplier of 30% from my 4 divines armor pieces. I'm an altmer (10%), with inner light (7%), bound aegis (8%), in a 5-1-1 setup with undaunted passives (6%). When warhorn is up it adds another 10%, so the second multiplier is 10+7+8+6+10=41%. Overall I get 2028 X 1.3 X 1.41 = 3717 max magicka. For every skill in this rotation except light and heavy attacks, the scaling is 10.5 magicka = 1 spell damage. Therefore 3717 magicka = 354 spell damage.

The Apprentice gives base 238 spell damage. This gets major and minor sorcery (if in a group with a Templar), for a total of 25%, and with 3 sorcerer skills slotted another 6%, for 31% total. The same 4 divines provides a 30% multiplier. So 238 X 1.3 X 1.31 = 405 Spell Damage.

For most skills in the game Apprentice will outperform Mage by 51 spell damage, or roughly 1% damage output. The Apprentice stone will also result in 5-6% more light/heavy attack damage than Mage, and ~4% more damage from mines (not used in this build, but included for completeness). Mage, on the other hand, increases strength of shields and sorcerer pet damage (not used in my build, but matters to many) by about 10%, while apprentice affects neither.

I usually use empowered ward instead of hardened for the minor intellect group buff. I also cannot use necropotence on this petless build, so my magicka pool is relatively low. Taking Mage stone results the noticeably larger damage shields (10%) at the expense of an small DPS loss.

TLDR: Use apprentice if you want to get absolute maximum DPS, like to heavy attack or use a lot of mines.
    Use Mage if you want larger shields or use pets to DPS.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 18, 2017 1:34AM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Daila820 This is all for perfect asylum. For imperfect asylum, the rotation would have to use 3 crushing shock every 4s to keep up status effects, which would be hard to sustain (no room for heavy attacks). If you are determined to do this to benefit your group, I would recommend the following rotation.

CS, CS, CS, Elemental Blockade, CS, CS, CS, Liquid Lightning, CS, CS, CS, Haunting Curse, Repeat

You wil need to build for sustain (infused absorb magicka weapon glyph, seducer or lich set, maybe cost reduction on jewelry). This will be an individual DPS loss, but could still benefit a trial group, probably not worth it in dungeons with only one other DPS.

Overall, I think the imperfect Destro got nerfed into uselessness, and I only plan to use it if I can get a perfect one. No other asylum weapon has such a large difference between the perfect and imperfect versions.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 17, 2017 3:51PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »
    With my build (Witchmother and Absorb Magic glyph), you don't have to heavy attack at all which leaves enough room for Frags.

Judging from your earlier parse screenshots, there's no way you will be able to sustain longer fights without any heavy attacks judging from the huge difference between your regen and drain.
    @Daila820

Good question, I can answer that :)

Mage stone is base 2028 max magicka. This gets a multiplier of 30% from my 4 divines armor pieces, then another 20% from Champion points. I'm an altmer (10%), with inner light (7%), bound aegis (8%), in a 5-1-1 setup with undaunted passives (6%). When warhorn is up it adds another 10%, so the third multiplier is 10+7+8+6+10=41%. Overall I get 2028 X 1.3 X 1.2 X 1.41 = 4461 max magicka. For every skill in this rotation except light and heavy attacks, the scaling is 10.5 magicka = 1 spell damage. Therefore 4461 magicka = 425 spell damage.

The Apprentice gives base 238 spell damage. This gets major and minor sorcery (if in a group with a Templar), for a total of 25%. The same 4 divines provides a 30% multiplier. So 238 X 1.3 X 1.25 = 387 Spell Damage.

For most skills in the game Mage will outperform Apprentice by 38 spell damage, or roughly 0.8% DPS (exceptions coming below). Mage also increases strength of shields and sorcerer pet damage (not used in my build, but matters to many) by about 10%, while apprentice affects neither.

This calculation relies on good Warhorn uptime, an is therefore most applicable to trials. It also does not take into account that light and heavy attacks scale more with spell damage than max magicka (40:1, or about 26% of the standard skill scaling).

To take it a step further, light and heavy attacks are about 19% of my DPS, while other skills are about 81%. So weighting these we can get:

(0.19 X 0.26 + 0.81) X 425 = 365 equivalent spell damage from Mage Stone. With the light and heavy adjustment (for rotation with one heavy attack every 12s), Apprentice will outperform Mage by 22 spell damage (about 0.5% DPS).

All this being considered, I am currently using empowered ward instead of hardened for the minor intellect group buff. I also cannot use necropotence on this petless build, so my magicka pool is low. I am taking Mage stone for the noticeably larger damage shields (10%) at the expense of an insignificant damage loss (0.5%).

Another factor to consider is that sorcerer mines scale more with spell damage (20:1) so I prefer apprentice when using Daedric Tomb.

TLDR: Use apprentice if you like to heavy attack or use a lot of mines, use Mage if you use shields, use pets, or do not use heavy attacks.

Not entirely sure the math works like that. You might want to go to a dummy and compare raw damage from skills (non-crit and crit) when using mage and apprentice mundus. From all testing I've done apprentice always came ahead.
    Edited by Dymence on October 17, 2017 4:47PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dymence wrote: »

Not entirely sure the math works like that. You might want to go to a dummy and compare raw damage from skills (non-crit and crit) when using mage and apprentice mundus. From all testing I've done apprentice always came ahead.

I'm pretty confident in these numbers, as I said they rely on Warhorn uptime. This is based on a good amount of testing, and building on the excellent work of @Asayre (who I would be very interested in hearing from on the topic). That being said, if anyone can point out any mistakes in the math I want to get them corrected, so open to being double checked (did most of the calculation and writing on my phone, so risk of fat finger typos). :D

Edit: Not saying you did this @Dymence, but many people I've heard testing the 2 stones on a dummy have used light and heavy attacks,m for comparison, which scale much better from spell damage than max magicka. I believe this is the source of the belief that apprentice is so much better. Will do some more testing next time I'm at my PC though.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 17, 2017 5:06PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dymence wrote: »

I'm pretty confident in these numbers, as I said they rely on Warhorn uptime. This is based on a good amount of testing, and building on the excellent work of @Asayre (who I would be very interested in hearing from on the topic). That being said, if anyone can point out any mistakes in the math I want to get them corrected, so open to being double checked (did most of the calculation and writing on my phone, so risk of fat finger typos). :D

Edit: Not saying you did this @Dymence, but many people I've heard testing the 2 stones on a dummy have used light and heavy attacks,m for comparison, which scale much better from spell damage than max magicka. I believe this is the source of the belief that apprentice is so much better. Will do some more testing next time I'm at my PC though.

I'm not 100% sure either with regards to your setup, but I just thought it's something you might want to doublecheck on an actual target rather than pure math.

I've compared apprentice with mage on my own setup, which only has inner light and no bound aegis, and apprentice beats mage on every single skill except of course the volatile familiar. This was all solo testing of course so no horns or anything like that.

EDIT: Didn't even test light and heavy attacks since they're obviously stronger with apprentice. I just tested literally every single skill you would/could use on a sorc rotation, so liquid lightning, blockade, curse, pet, clench, frags, mines.
    Edited by Dymence on October 17, 2017 5:33PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence Yep, that sounds like it makes sense. It's only the additional 18% from Warhorn and Bound Aegis that make Mage pull ahead for most skills. Were you getting the 6% from 5-1-1 armor undaunted passive as well?
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence Yep, that sounds like it makes sense. It's only the additional 18% from Warhorn and Bound Aegis that make Mage pull ahead for most skills. Were you getting the 6% from 5-1-1 armor undaunted passive as well?

Yep, everything aside from horn and aegis
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence Well, I found a flaw in my calculations. Just confirmed that the 20% multiplier from CP does not apply to the Mage Mundus (it also does not apply to Food buffs, Necropotence 5-piece, or Destruction Mastery 5-piece, but does apply to all other set bonuses, enchants, and attribute points).

This makes the Mage Stone weaker than I previously thought. Still worth using on a pet sorc, but questionable on other builds, even with Warhorn and building for max magicka it is ~1% lower DPS than Apprentice. It is probably still within the margin of error of a parse, but I cannot make the claim Mage is better. Redid all the numbers in the post above to avoid spreading misinformation.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 18, 2017 6:24AM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence Well, I found a flaw in my calculations. Just confirmed that the 20% multiplier from CP does not apply to the Mage Mundus (it also does not apply to Food buffs, Necropotence 5-piece, or Destruction Mastery 5-piece, but does apply to all other set bonuses, enchants, and attribute points).

This makes the Mage Stone weaker than I previously thought. Still worth using on a pet sorc, but questionable on other builds, even with Warhorn and building for max magicka it is ~1% lower DPS than Apprentice. It is probably still within the margin of error of a parse, but I cannot make the claim Mage is better. Redid all the numbers in the post above to avoid spreading misinformation.

Confirms my gut feeling on it, but good to know the reasoning behind it.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's strange, I wonder if ZoS realizes this. The last rebalance patch did a good job of balancing various bonuses depending on whether or not they get the CPi multiplier, but apparently failed at Mage Stone. Let me elaborate:

Necro 5-Piece = 3150 MM / 10.5 = 300 SD = Julianos 5-Piece

Typical 2-4 Piece = 1096 MM X 1.2 / 10.5 = 125 SD ~ 129 SD = Typical 2-4 Piece

Mage Stone should work like this
    2028 MM X 1.2 / 10.5 = 232 SD ~ 238 SD = Apprentice Stone

But instead it is working like this
    2028 MM / 10.5 = 193 SD < 238 SD = Apprentice Stone

The other interesting consequence of this is that it puts infused large pieces even further ahead of divines. Any resources gained from infused have a hidden 20% multiplier from CP, but nothing gained from divines gets this bonus.
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other interesting consequence of this is that it puts infused large pieces even further ahead of divines. Any resources gained from infused have a hidden 20% multiplier from CP, but nothing gained from divines gets this bonus.

This would only be the case for resource mundus stones though, as divines will still net better results on everything else.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe infused large pieces are better (for magicka anyway). Now that we have established that Apprentice is the best DPS mundus for most builds, I will compare infused to the spell damage from divines with Apprentice.

238 X 7.5% = 17.8 SD from Divines

With Major Sorcery (20%) this becomes 21.4 SD, and if minor sorcery (5%) is added as well then it is 22.3 SD (best case for divines on most classes)

Best case for divines would be a sorcerer with 2% spell damage per ability slotted, assuming 3 sorc abilities for 6%, this becomes 23.3 SD (best case for divines on sorcerer).

For a gold infused large armor piece, assuming no magicka bonuses, the benefit is:

868 X 1.2 X 20% = 208 Magicka

208 Magicka / 10.5 = 20 SD

This is slightly lower than the benefit from divines if you have the sorcery buff, but this is worst case for infused.

Now for a character with magicka bonuses. An altmer (10%) with inner light (7%) and bound aegis (8%), wearing 5-1-1 (6%), under the effects of Warhorn (10%) gets a 41% Magicka boost. Therefore an infused large piece is effectively:

868 X 1.2 X 20% X 1.41 = 294 Magicka

294 Magicka / 10.5 = 28 SD

So for an optimized magicka character, each infused large piece is effectively adding about 5 spell damage over an equivalent divines piece. This is a very small DPS benefit (~0.1% per piece, 0.3% max), but will also provide slightly larger resource pools, shields, and pet damage.

And yes, I double checked that the 20% CPI multiplier DOES apply to these stats :D

Edit: Added some detail about spell damage bonuses, and a takeaway

Edit Again: This is based on an optimized group, so penetration is not needed. However if using the lover stone for solo content, then divines the will often be better than infused, depending on current penetration. This can also be extended to PVP, where some players have very high resistances. Against an opponent with shields, however, pen does nothing, apprentice outperforms Lover, and infused large pieces are once again better than divines.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on October 18, 2017 3:34PM
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    Post above got cut off.

My current rotation uses crushing shock, unstable wall, liquid lightning, haunting curse and one heavy attack. The asylum procs are shown in bold and occur every 4s.

CS, CS, HA, CS, Swap, UW, Swap, CS, HC, CS, CS, Swap, LL, UW, Swap

Only status effect downtime is when I need to refresh ele drain (solo) or when mechanics get in the way in trials.

I could probably get a little more DPS out of force pulse, but I prefer the interrupts for vMA, vDSA, vHRC, and vMoL. This bar setup is most realistic for what I would run in trials (with Mage stone instead of lover).

this rotation still working for you? do you block cancel the fp animation?