The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PvE Magicka Sorc Rotation (Asylum)

dpencil1
dpencil1
✭✭✭✭✭
So I hopped onto PTS and spent some time working with the new Asylum weapon to see if I could figure out a rotation that would be able to take advantage of the 4 second Elemental status effect refresh rate. This is what I came up with:

Potion, Ele Drain, Ulti
[LA, Liquid Lightning, LA Blockade of Storms, LA, Volatile Familiar,
Barswap,
LA, Force Pulse, LA, Daedric Prey, HA, Force Pulse,
Barswap,
LA, Ele Drain (every other rotation, if not provided for you)]

I thought I'd share it in case others want to play around with it. Best parse so far: 42.9k
3 MIL DUMMY - USING MAW OF THE INFERNAL
42.9k_parse_maw.jpg

3 MIL DUMMY - USING ILAMBRIS
42k_parse_pet-serc.jpg

6 MIL DUMMY - USING ILAMBRIS
40k_6mil_parse.jpg

Ilambris is in a much better place now for lightning focused Sorcs with this rotation, since you have Burning constantly ticking.

So far Shock/Fire with double infused looks good. 3 Skills on the backbar means you get 2 Fire procs every rotation.

I welcome anyone else's thoughts and experiences from your own testing.
Edited by dpencil1 on September 26, 2017 9:02PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if it's worth to adjust your rota to suit the exact 4s cd on force pulse.

Also I'm convinced double bar infused with shock and fire enchant is the best.

Parse of my own testing earlier:
    PcZ2k2w.png
    Edited by Dymence on September 19, 2017 7:29PM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence
    Nice! Wasn't sure if we'd ever see 40k again after Morrowind/HotR. Would you mind sharing your own build/rotation info from the parse? I'd like to compare it to what I've been doing. You always seem to parse higher than me even when we are using the exact same setup :p
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was using 2 Ilambris, 5 Julianos, 3 Master Architect, Asylum infused mainbar and vMA infused offbar. Both lightning.

Swapped to Lover mundus, and blue CP are the following:

56 Elfborn, 64 Elemental Expert, 3 Spell Erosion, 26 Master-at-Arms, 81 Thaumaturge.

Bar setup:
    1. Force pulse - Frags - Curse - Pet - Inner light - Shooting star
    2. Ele drain - Blockade - Liquid - Pet - Endless Fury - Destro

As for rotation, I just started off with elemental drain and destro ult, then apply all dots with weaves in between (liquid, blockade, curse, pet) and weaved force pulse with frags to fill it up. Sometimes skipping a heavy attack per rotation depending on how sustain is going. Always swapping backbar on the last 1-2 sec of blockade to get the enchant proc and keep the dots as close to 100% uptime as possible. Should get 2 enchant procs per backbar rotation this way. Drop Shooting Star when ready and at 20% I keep up all dots and weave execute.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence
    Cool. So you're using Haunting Curse instead of Daedric Prey. Are you casting it every other rotation?

Also, interesting CP choices. I guess you don't use Asayre's CP calculator? I'm quite surprised at how little Spell Erosion you have.

I'll try to play around with this when I get the chance. Thanks!
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd assume that using the typical rotation would work well enough. You should be able to get off two Asylum procs before reapplying DoTs this way.

• Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    @Dymence
    Cool. So you're using Haunting Curse instead of Daedric Prey. Are you casting it every other rotation?

Also, interesting CP choices. I guess you don't use Asayre's CP calculator? I'm quite surprised at how little Spell Erosion you have.

I'll try to play around with this when I get the chance. Thanks!

No no, I still use Daedric Prey. I simply called it curse out of laziness.

I don't use Asayre's CP calc no. With just this much in erosion you get to pen cap with raid buffs. That's also why I swapped to lover, to get more value out of master at arms.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Dymence
    Nice! Wasn't sure if we'd ever see 40k again after Morrowind/HotR. Would you mind sharing your own build/rotation info from the parse? I'd like to compare it to what I've been doing. You always seem to parse higher than me even when we are using the exact same setup :p

Quite a lot of people hitting over 40k since Morrowind to be honest...

But either way, that new staff is going to be so good in group play that its definitely worth making a rotation around it!
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the share
  • Concret
    Concret
    ✭✭✭
    @Dymence

59aaa121877da.png

And I have seen higher number on YouTube :smile:
  • Concret
    Concret
    ✭✭✭
    @Dymence

But either way, that new staff is going to be so good in group play that its definitely worth making a rotation around it!

Not so sure about that. With the new weapons the gap between Stamina and magicka seems to be increased again (the new one hand weapons are really strong) and magicka seem to be "only" usefull for minor vulnerability (and we already reach huge uptime without the new staff) and off balance (maybe the new staff help to increase off balance within a trial setting, i still didnt tested buff group uptime with this weapon)
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concret wrote: »
    @Dymence

Not so sure about that. With the new weapons the gap between Stamina and magicka seems to be increased again (the new one hand weapons are really strong) and magicka seem to be "only" usefull for minor vulnerability (and we already reach huge uptime without the new staff) and off balance (maybe the new staff help to increase off balance within a trial setting, i still didnt tested buff group uptime with this weapon)

Those were my thoughts initially aswell. But the new staff gives you a lot of burning DPS aswell.

It's not as great as stamina, but it's something.
    Edited by Dymence on September 20, 2017 2:27PM
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Dymence

In my tests using this staff with Lightning Blockade pretty much guarantees Off Balance.
    Playing since beta...
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dymence wrote: »
    @Dymence

Those were my thoughts initially aswell. But the new staff gives you a lot of burning DPS aswell.

It's not as great as stamina, but it's something.

Burning increases the damage of Fire Blockade for my DK. :smile: My Magicka DK wants all Sorcs to run this and Lightning Blockade so she can have all the Flame Lashes she wants.
    Edited by kojou on September 20, 2017 3:14PM
    Playing since beta...
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Dymence

Nah the Asylum Daggers aren't worth losing a whole 5piece bonus for. Remember that stamina setups rely a lot on group synergy: support sets.

Plus, no one has the space in their bars to have Steel Tornado. Usually during trash packs, people take off Rending Slashes to put it on. A NB doesn't have the space, a DK or Sorc don't either. The only ones who do are Templars and Wardens. But since you need at 5 Support sets on different toons (NMG, Sunder, Morag Tong, Alkosh, War Machine), in most groups consisting of 4 stamina DPS, each one of those 4 will have to wear at least 1 support set. This is without even mentioning the difficulty of the rotation. And just the fact of using Steel Tornado instead of your spammable in a single target fight is a huge loss as well.

The Asylum daggers double the duration of Rending Slashes (your weakest DoT), Deadly Cloak (your 2nd weakest DoT) and Rend (an ultimate no one uses because Flawless Dawnbreaker gives you almost 300 weapon damage thus benefitting you more overall). These Daggers are not going to be used, aside from some very niche builds. I've tested these weapons on 3 classes so far, and none of the results were promising.

If anything, Master Daggers are the real deal this patch. But like I said before, to be able to use them, you need to have all the support sets. But currently, 3 VO + 2 Master Daggers + 5 Hunding's > 5 VO + 5 Hunding's in a situation where full penetration has been achieved. You'd need 5 stamina DPS to make that work, which is kinda almost common, but not possible in some raids. The vMA Daggers still aren't possible since the sustain doesn't permit an intense rotation like that.

Stamina DPS doesn't move this patch, aside from the slight increase due to CP. If anything it actually decreases since Infused doesn't affect the vMA Bow anymore.
    Edited by Izaki on September 20, 2017 3:35PM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, I think that Magblades are better suited to using this staff than Sorcs. Magblade sustain isn't an issue at all and they can sustain a LA rotation even with Force Pulse as the spammable. Sorcs on the other hand... Well lets just say that heavy attacking is a must and that you won't be able to reach the same uptimes on the buff as Magblades.

Of course, you could have 2 people running the Staff in the group for max uptime, in which case you could have 1 Magblade with Force Pulse and the other with Funnel Health for support healing and have 1 Sorc use the staff too, but I still think that Magblades are much better suited than Sorcs to using it to its fullest potential. Aether was the real thing on Sorcs, but since that's officially useless, I guess Sorcs are back to just being DPS without any sort of group support aside from the 3% extra Spell Crit :D
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40k DPS i have seen for example from Andy S. with his magicka Nightblade.
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • Concret
    Concret
    ✭✭✭
    @Dymence

In my tests using this staff with Lightning Blockade pretty much guarantees Off Balance.

Did you test it solo or within a trial group (with stamina/heavy attack rotation) ?
    Could you put the uptime you get on a boss with/without the staff (I am sorry I dont have enough guildmate using pts to make this test by myself ^^')
    Thank you :)
  • Concret
    Concret
    ✭✭✭
    Izaki wrote: »
    @Dymence

Nah the Asylum Daggers aren't worth losing a whole 5piece bonus for. Remember that stamina setups rely a lot on group synergy: support sets.

Plus, no one has the space in their bars to have Steel Tornado. Usually during trash packs, people take off Rending Slashes to put it on. A NB doesn't have the space, a DK or Sorc don't either. The only ones who do are Templars and Wardens. But since you need at 5 Support sets on different toons (NMG, Sunder, Morag Tong, Alkosh, War Machine), in most groups consisting of 4 stamina DPS, each one of those 4 will have to wear at least 1 support set. This is without even mentioning the difficulty of the rotation. And just the fact of using Steel Tornado instead of your spammable in a single target fight is a huge loss as well.

The Asylum daggers double the duration of Rending Slashes (your weakest DoT), Deadly Cloak (your 2nd weakest DoT) and Rend (an ultimate no one uses because Flawless Dawnbreaker gives you almost 300 weapon damage thus benefitting you more overall). These Daggers are not going to be used, aside from some very niche builds. I've tested these weapons on 3 classes so far, and none of the results were promising.

If anything, Master Daggers are the real deal this patch. But like I said before, to be able to use them, you need to have all the support sets. But currently, 3 VO + 2 Master Daggers + 5 Hunding's > 5 VO + 5 Hunding's in a situation where full penetration has been achieved. You'd need 5 stamina DPS to make that work, which is kinda almost common, but not possible in some raids. The vMA Daggers still aren't possible since the sustain doesn't permit an intense rotation like that.

Stamina DPS doesn't move this patch, aside from the slight increase due to CP. If anything it actually decreases since Infused doesn't affect the vMA Bow anymore.

Well, let's see, hope you re right
    (À lot of testing need to be done but I think you underestimate these weapon especialy for stamplar and Stamina nightblade)

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aether was the real thing on Sorcs, but since that's officially useless, I guess Sorcs are back to just being DPS without any sort of group support aside from the 3% extra Spell Crit :D

.... not cool.

I'm not switching to Mag NB.... ever. They are becoming so much better though it's crazy. Higher DPS, sustain, group support over my Sorc.

At least Sorcs deal the best AoE damage if allowed to use a pet still :smile:
  • Sargentwilko51
    Sargentwilko51
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I think that Magblades are better suited to using this staff than Sorcs. Magblade sustain isn't an issue at all and they can sustain a LA rotation even with Force Pulse as the spammable. Sorcs on the other hand... Well lets just say that heavy attacking is a must and that you won't be able to reach the same uptimes on the buff as Magblades.

Of course, you could have 2 people running the Staff in the group for max uptime, in which case you could have 1 Magblade with Force Pulse and the other with Funnel Health for support healing and have 1 Sorc use the staff too, but I still think that Magblades are much better suited than Sorcs to using it to its fullest potential. Aether was the real thing on Sorcs, but since that's officially useless, I guess Sorcs are back to just being DPS without any sort of group support aside from the 3% extra Spell Crit :D

@Izaki

I agree that this staff in 2 magblades hands is going to be lethal in trial groups.

However, I do think that the one sorc running lighting wall and giving 3% crit to the 2 magblades is still going to be there. And if that sorc is a bit stronger, thats good news.

I have been concerned about the 'fix' to infused main hand on stam and was keen to know if you looked at dropping infused and moved to nirn yet? I won't be on pts until this weekend to test myself...
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New personal best:

42k_parse_pet-serc.jpg

I also updated the OP.
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that burning DPS. 1.7k

I think there's some real potential here for sorcs to finally switch back to a Force Pulse rotation.

Still don't want to overhype myself on it before I can test it properly in the good old familiar raids back on live. It's going to take some time :)
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

I think there's some real potential here for sorcs to finally switch back to a Force Pulse rotation.

Still don't want to overhype myself on it before I can test it properly in the good old familiar raids back on live. It's going to take some time :)

Problem with all those parses I see here is again the difference between magicka regen and drain. Not sustainable at all, not even with raidbuffs. Can you guys pleeeease start testing on bigger dummies so we know what consistent dps you'd get...
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

Problem with all those parses I see here is again the difference between magicka regen and drain. Not sustainable at all, not even with raidbuffs. Can you guys pleeeease start testing on bigger dummies so we know what consistent dps you'd get...

On bigger dummies you're just gonna run out by yourself. No surprise there. It should be perfectly sustainable with orb and shard support.

EDIT: Did a few 6 mil dummy parses anyway out of curiousity, just need a bit more heavy attacks but not too much of an issue. I think the setup is pretty solid.
    1jrj29.jpg
    Edited by Dymence on September 21, 2017 11:00PM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Masel92
    Yeah, I worked a bit on the 6mil dummy too. Got 39k a few times with some mistakes, so I think 40k is possible. I can run the rotation identically to the 3mil dummy until the 6mil is about 30% health. Then I need to skip applying Force Pulse and do 2 heavy attacks after applying LL, Blockade, Familiar, Prey. What I've been trying to do is pepper these extra double heavy rotations once after each Shooting Star, and that's usually enough to get me to the end.
    Edited by dpencil1 on September 21, 2017 11:48PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dpencil1
    The only issue with your rotation is that you aren't providing Minor Prophecy at all. You'd still want to have it in there otherwise it defeats the purpose of having a sorc in the group.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence
    That's a fair point. There is space for Frags on the front bar, replacing Inner Light. I mainly didn't include it because it kinda messes up the smoothness of the rotation for me.
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence
    That's a fair point. There is space for Frags on the front bar, replacing Inner Light. I mainly didn't include it because it kinda messes up the smoothness of the rotation for me.

Yup that's the tricky part of making a proper rotation for the staff. It's hard to put the pulse at consistent places when you can't account for when frags is going to proc.

That said, you could make due with just throwing the frags every 20 seconds to refresh the buff close to 100% uptime.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dymence
    Yeah, it would be a solo dps loss, but a group dps gain to do it that way. You could replace the last Force Pulse of the rotation with Frags whenever it's up or whenever Minor Prophesy is getting close to expiring.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple new parses added to the OP, also linked here:

3 Mil with Maw of the Infernal

42.8k_parse_maw.jpg

6 Mil with Ilambris

40k_6mil_parse.jpg

I tried a number of parses with different combos of Wed Dmg enchants. All of them were worse than Shock-front, Fire-back.

I also tested Maw vs Ilambris a bit. Maw has a slightly higher dps potential but is much more volatile than Ilambris. Also, because I can only keep Daedric Prey up 60% of the time, there are some times when Maw attacks more when Prey is up and others when it attacks more when Prey is down, so this further adds to the volatility of its dps contribution.

These parses are my highest to-date. Other parses running the identical rotation were usually around 40-41k dps on the 3 mil dummy and around 38-39k dps on the 6 mil dummy.

The only adjustment made for the 6 mil dummy was removing Force Pulse from 1 rotation to do 2 heavy attacks: LL, Blockade, Familiar, Prey, HA, HA, then back to normal.
    Edited by dpencil1 on September 22, 2017 5:42PM