The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why Can't Anyone Let A Person 1v1?

• Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have wondered several times why it is that I will be in a 1v1 situation and an teammate will just sit there and watch (both others usually very high in PvP rank). Then after I loose the fight my teammate will rez me and I'll be on my way.

No big deal but I would think my teammate would help me out as I am pretty low rank, but that's just me.

Edit: Now that have given it more thought I imagine it is a code some PvPer's go by. Granted I did attack first on each occasion so I brought the 1v1 on myself. I can imagine that these two new each other and were just doing what comes natural and respectful to them and that is let the 1v1 play out. I can respect that. I should take a look at myself when it comes to just jumping in on a 1v1. It may not always be the "right" thing to do.
    Edited by Darkestnght on September 18, 2017 7:29PM
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't psychically know that someone doesn't want the help. It's a war zone, and I tend to play it like a war zone. Most people would welcome the help, I suspect. Your team isn't going to be making huge strides in the battlefield if players are too busy in 1v1 duels to take keeps or resources. I'm busy trying to help win the war, not do duels.
    That's just me, I guess.

Edited by SydneyGrey on September 20, 2017 6:49AM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I can't psychically know that someone doesn't want the help. It's a war zone, and I tend to play it like a war zone. Most people would welcome the help, I suspect. Your team isn't going to be making huge strides in the battlefield if players are too busy in 1v1 duels to take keeps or resources. I'm busy trying to help win the war, not do duels.
    That's just me, I guess.

me too.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't tell if a player wants to duel or 1 vs 1, or if he actually wants help. Since it is all out war and PvP I always help.

If they spot me in time and notify me they are dueling I walk away or watch. Else I choose the other and help.

Had warning whispers on both accounts.
    Don't help: "why didn't you help meeeee"
    Help: "GTFO we are dueling"

Damned if you don't, damned if you do.

Offline mode does wonders though.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anything at all thats "noble"? How often do vet players who 1v 1 or 1v x look for other people of the same ability? I think generally its a scan for low health, low cp, shields not up or addons to know armor sets. Hey, theres a scrub magsorc with no shields, let me gank them to put it on my stream.

Its probably less "noble" to leave some casual person who just started playing to be ganked by an nb or experienced player because its 1 v 1. Thats like watching Mike Tyson box a newborn. I go by the rule if its another faction kill it or get away if I cant win.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there anything at all thats "noble"? How often do vet players who 1v 1 or 1v x look for other people of the same ability? I think generally its a scan for low health, low cp, shields not up or addons to know armor sets. Hey, theres a scrub magsorc with no shields, let me gank them to put it on my stream.

Its probably less "noble" to leave some casual person who just started playing to be ganked by an nb or experienced player because its 1 v 1. Thats like watching Mike Tyson box a newborn. I go by the rule if its another faction kill it or get away if I cant win.

You're silly. Everyone knows magsorcs are indestructible. :tongue:
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time if I see a 1v1 fight I will leave them alone or stop and watch because they are so rare to see in Cyrodiil xD
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's open world pvp no one imo should really be expected to follow any sort of etiquette rules even if you, me or anyone else follows them.

Just to add sometimes I get caught up in a 1 v 1 (I don't like running away from these) and I rather just go on with my objective. In that case I don't mind someone coming by to help against a more difficult opponent and save some time.
    Edited by Mazbt on September 21, 2017 9:41PM
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    This is the most baffling thing. If you see a member of your faction 1v1 against a member of another faction, why do you run in with your group of ten and zerg them down?

1) It proves nothing. It doesn't prove the person you killed got "rekt" or sucks, it doesn't prove you and the 5+ people with you are good.
    2) Those two people aren't going to change the course of the battle so just leave them alone, why bother? You're not getting any exp or ap really.
    3) Maybe they wanted to test their skill 1v1 and no they don't want to leave Cyro, 1v1 battles should be a part of war. And honestly, if it looks like a good fight chances are the person on your team doesn't want your "help," because they prob would have been fine without you. Honestly they probably shook their heads and sighed at the crumbling state of good pvp and then went and apologized to their opponent for you.
    4) Dying in cyro means nothing. If youre wearing mostly impen your gear doesnt break down, you dont lose money or ap or anything. The only consequence is likely a short ride back to where you were.
    5) It isn't at all cool to soul assault gank someone in the middle of a 1v1.

Times when it MIGHT be ok to intervene is if your team member is getting sniped by some *** in the trees or theyre outnumbered. Or, one person is taking out an FC or capturing a critical resource, or youre a smaller group and need every person you can get to take a keep etc. Still I even let an outnumbered team member fight it out if it looks like they can handle it.

Look I get it, the heat of battle and getting zerged down is part of Cyro open world pvp. But, just pause for one second before you go and hit your ulti button when you see a small scale or 1v1 fight happening. Assess the situation for a moment. A lot of players out there really appreciate the change in pace of a good 1v1, 1v2 or 2v2-3 or whatever from the constant zerging without being restricted to BGs. 1v1 and small scale fights are different in open world pvp than they are in BGs or duels outside of Cyro and I'm just saying, try and keep things healthy and fun for everyone. Not everything has to be zerged down everywhere all the time.

One word - Kids!
    FFFRRREEEDDDOOOMMM!!!
    - Be Anyone.
    - Do Anything.
    - Go Anywhere.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    • How are you to know your fellow alliance member couldn't use some assistance?
    • How to you know he hasn't been fending this guy off for 10 minutes, hoping said assistance would come along?
    • How do you know, with your group of 10, that his group of 20 is not cresting the hill in the next 4 seconds?
    There is little room for honor in war. It's right place/right time, wrong place/wrong time, with few exceptions.

Which of those do you want to be on?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Give this game another two or three years before "adding" into a fight becomes a faux pas.

Right now, most 1vX players won't add on to another 1vX player's fight.

Once the casual players start to die off, and the population lowers so that we know our enemies more, adding onto fights will begin to get you blacklisted.

Heaven no, not that!!

What exactly does that mean? That when i do into pvp someone might try and kill me?
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• nekura
    nekura
    ✭✭✭
    I solo'd for almost 10 years in DAoC. We cultivated a solo community, but it takes work. The game design (porting, forward camps), the casual PvPers, and lack of any real competitive group v group in this game does not create a community that really cares about respecting 1v1's.

I let 1v1's finish mostly just to get the salt tells from my realm: "why didn't you help?"

RED IS DEAD.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nekura wrote: »

I let 1v1's finish mostly just to get the salt tells from my realm: "why didn't you help?"

That, there is the real cancer in this game.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • smtdbplus
    smtdbplus
    ✭✭✭
    Sometime back then, I saw 5-6 players from other factions were RPing outside of the Ales farm... I politely stayed away and passed by. 2 seconds later i was dead. They were just pretending RPing and tried to get some easy cheap kills.

Now, whenever i see a red bar on your head, Ult on Sight. I dont care you are RPing, PVEing or dueling... I dont trust anyone in Cyro.

• techdog90
    techdog90
    I didn't even bother to read the other comments but my opinion don't 1v1 in Cyrodiil it won't happen the way you want it ever. that is what dueling in open world is for.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a person is dueling in Cyrodil I'll try to kill them. And then kill the other one too, if they are a different alliance. Orrrrrr, I'll try to kill them, get it wrong, and run away. But then I'll come back and keep coming back til one of us is dead :p
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm running solo and run into a 1v1, I make a judgement call.

If it looks like they are roughly evenly matched and won't take 2 hours, I'll usually chill out and watch.
    If it looks like my ally is clearly outmatched, I'll jump in and support a bit.
    If the enemy player attacks me, I give him/her about 3 seconds to change their mind and then unload on them.

Mostly, I find it inconvenient to allow an enemy to potentially win and then attack me from stealth at a bad time. It's a classic, "kill him while I have the advantage or he comes after me when he has the advantage 30 seconds later."
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's obviously 1v1, don't butt in. If someone else is deciding to be a jerk and try to get free kills, go ahead and smack 'em.
    Of course, the two duelers could use the actual Dueling feature to make it clear... Even if they're not, leave them alone. Jeebus.
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Its my party and i'll cry if i want too"
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kadochka wrote: »
    If it's obviously 1v1, don't butt in. If someone else is deciding to be a jerk and try to get free kills, go ahead and smack 'em.
    Of course, the two duelers could use the actual Dueling feature to make it clear... Even if they're not, leave them alone. Jeebus.

Not everyone that is 1v1ing in cyrodiil wants you to stay out of it, a lot of people just randomly encountered someone and wants immediate help. If you then stay to the side and just watch you are being an A hole. If you want to duel take it to the dueling system. In Cyrodiil its faction vs faction, help your faction, kill all enemy faction.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nekura wrote: »
    I solo'd for almost 10 years in DAoC. We cultivated a solo community, but it takes work. The game design (porting, forward camps), the casual PvPers, and lack of any real competitive group v group in this game does not create a community that really cares about respecting 1v1's.

RED IS DEAD.

As did I. Not at the beginning though because I wasn't good enough. I knew where I might find a solo fight and I knew where I wouldn't ( near a battle for a keep).

For a few reasons, I don't think the solo game will develop in ESO. Map is too large for one. Very difficult to figure out where to pick off single players heading to a larger battle....and because map is so large, it's very time consuming to get where you think stragglers will be, and if you die ,far too long to get back to where you want to go.

I still prefer a good duo setup. Way more fun than soling.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If players want to only 1v1 or play small scale PvP they created the arena just for that with the option to challenge anyone to a duel outside of Cyrodiil as well as adding Battlegrounds which they continue to add modes for and have now enabled CP. If you want to spend your time in a Campaign that is 100v100v100 and run around looking for 1v1's your ***.

And one good reason why you shouldn't just ignore a teammate that is in a 1v1 is you have no idea if they initiated that fight unless you recognize their name. If they got jumped by some Nightblade while they were trying to get somewhere to help defend and you let them just die that's on you. Also even if that teammate wins the 1v1 if it's a long dragged out encounter it's once again distracting from that players ability to get where they actually need to be which are attacking or defending keeps.

It's great that players find fun in playing Campaigns in different ways than they were designed but there are other avenues for that now. In Cyrodiil you're there to kill the opposing factions and stop them from winning and it doesn't need to be fairly or in a tryhard approved manner.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spoken like a true zergbad
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    spoken like a true zergbad

I go wherever I know the best players or hardest fights on the map are, I don't join big groups to PvDoor or small groups of tryhards to go 1vX randoms at a resource.

I see these so called small scale groups in Cyrodiil all the time to the point i know most of their names on PS4 and they don't avoid the big fights at keeps so that they don't get "zerged", it's so that they get easy fights against randoms by taking a resource or keep off away from everyone where the good players just ignore them.
    Edited by Twohothardware on October 2, 2017 2:32AM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    That's just me, I guess.

Play a healer even when solo roaming,
    if someone on my 'team' is low on health,
    they get heals and shields to keep them alive

whether it is 1v1 or helping a player who is facing three enemies leaving us both still outnumbered
    treat the situation the same on the battlefield

That said,
    if people are dueling in PvE zones
    will stand and watch and try to keep out of their area to minimize outside distractions

used to give 1v1s more space, back before dueling was implemented
    and would get complaints from people about not doing 'my job' as a healer
    so now that the dueling system is in game and people who genuinely want to 1v1 without outside interference have a place to go outside the old Cyrodiil duel groups
    no longer bother myself with trying to figure it out
    if my alliance indicator is above someone's head and they are in combat,
    do my best to help keep them alive and win that combat
    it is, effectively, my only real function as an individual playing in Cyrodiil
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Edd1eV3DD3R
    Edd1eV3DD3R
    ✭✭
    If you want to 1v1, duel. Stay out of an AvA zone. It is called that for a reason. No Av1v1vA
    One of the GM's of The Wayfarers of Tamriel, a ROLE PLAYING guild on PS4, NA.
  • lao
    lao
    ✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    i 'd like to think I've been in the game, specifically in cyrodiil, long enough to be able to control my strong "kill everything in sight" impulse/mentality...

very hard to tell the difference though between "friendly" dueling and an ally "fighting for their life" against an enemy...

some of the shoot first, ask questions later responses make me smile...very, very understandable...

the impulse to kill them all and let molag bal sort it out is really strong...

funny, but someone mentioned it earlier - the later at night it gets (US time), the more odd scenarios you start running into...

doesnt matter if its friendly duelling or "an ally fighting for his life" a 1v1 is a 1v1 and should not be interfered with. this "for the alliance" roleplay *** is simply an excuse of bad players to ruin a proper fight cos they cant ever win a fight themself on even footing.

however its an open world pvp zone and you cant prevent those scumbag zerglings from doing what they do. what you can do and should do however is take note of the zerglings names and grief them on every occasion you get to make their gaming experience as miserable as you possibly can. most likely most wont care as they dont have the cognitive ability to even comprehend the enjoyment of competitive fights but some you might *** off enough so they go back to pve carebearland where they belong and stay there for a long time till they feel brave enough to step back into pvp and ruin more fights for actual proper players.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lao wrote: »
    geonsocal wrote: »
    i 'd like to think I've been in the game, specifically in cyrodiil, long enough to be able to control my strong "kill everything in sight" impulse/mentality...

very hard to tell the difference though between "friendly" dueling and an ally "fighting for their life" against an enemy...

some of the shoot first, ask questions later responses make me smile...very, very understandable...

the impulse to kill them all and let molag bal sort it out is really strong...

funny, but someone mentioned it earlier - the later at night it gets (US time), the more odd scenarios you start running into...

doesnt matter if its friendly duelling or "an ally fighting for his life" a 1v1 is a 1v1 and should not be interfered with. this "for the alliance" roleplay *** is simply an excuse of bad players to ruin a proper fight cos they cant ever win a fight themself on even footing.

however its an open world pvp zone and you cant prevent those scumbag zerglings from doing what they do. what you can do and should do however is take note of the zerglings names and grief them on every occasion you get to make their gaming experience as miserable as you possibly can. most likely most wont care as they dont have the cognitive ability to even comprehend the enjoyment of competitive fights but some you might *** off enough so they go back to pve carebearland where they belong and stay there for a long time till they feel brave enough to step back into pvp and ruin more fights for actual proper players.

Wow. You are so far from the point of PvP, I don't know where to start..

'For the alliance roleplay'?? Do you play football and just blindly run around in circles with the ball with only one guy allowed to chase you, or do you, like try to play for the team?

Cyrodill is a team game with 3 teams. What you do is akin to taking a bribe to sabotage your own team.

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
  • gabriebe
    gabriebe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the duels in Cyrodiil, just don't do it in areas with heavy traffic. Got screamed at for interrupting a duel that was taking place on the side of Fort Ash while 20 more enemies were at the front door, thought it was ridiculous.
    Former Empresses: Saliva Bortschion (MagBlade), Janet From Finance (PvP MagSorc), Carla Swagan (Tank DK), Estelle Born (StamBlade), Enya Arsenal (MagPlar), Anita Nurse (Magplar Healer), Bearback Brigitte (Magden), Rachel Justice (MagDK), Nicole From Payroll (Stamden), Bailiff Belinda (PvE MagSorc), Féline Dion (StamDK), Septic Tank Tina (Necro Tank)

The runts: The Trolly Spirit (Tank Sorc), Floods-Your-Basement (Warden Healer) Dinah Asthma (Magcro), Total Top Tony (Stamcro)

The traitor
    s: Janis Javelin (Stamplar, EP), Barbecue Becky (Magblade Healer, AD)

PvE: Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Flawless Conqueror

GM: Animal Control

• StayAlfresco
    StayAlfresco
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone who goes to Cyrodil to duel, but on the occasion that you do see a 1v1, you should pull up a chair. I don't get people who struggle to interpret the situation and just blindly attack anything that moves. It's so hard to get a good fight in Cyrodil now and there's nothing worse than your own alliance storming through, ulting anything in sight.