The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why Can't Anyone Let A Person 1v1?

Vapirko
Vapirko
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This is the most baffling thing. If you see a member of your faction 1v1 against a member of another faction, why do you run in with your group of ten and zerg them down?

1) It proves nothing. It doesn't prove the person you killed got "rekt" or sucks, it doesn't prove you and the 5+ people with you are good.
2) Those two people aren't going to change the course of the battle so just leave them alone, why bother? You're not getting any exp or ap really.
3) Maybe they wanted to test their skill 1v1 and no they don't want to leave Cyro, 1v1 battles should be a part of war. And honestly, if it looks like a good fight chances are the person on your team doesn't want your "help," because they prob would have been fine without you. Honestly they probably shook their heads and sighed at the crumbling state of good pvp and then went and apologized to their opponent for you.
4) Dying in cyro means nothing. If youre wearing mostly impen your gear doesnt break down, you dont lose money or ap or anything. The only consequence is likely a short ride back to where you were.
5) It isn't at all cool to soul assault gank someone in the middle of a 1v1.

Times when it MIGHT be ok to intervene is if your team member is getting sniped by some *** in the trees or theyre outnumbered. Or, one person is taking out an FC or capturing a critical resource, or youre a smaller group and need every person you can get to take a keep etc. Still I even let an outnumbered team member fight it out if it looks like they can handle it.

Look I get it, the heat of battle and getting zerged down is part of Cyro open world pvp. But, just pause for one second before you go and hit your ulti button when you see a small scale or 1v1 fight happening. Assess the situation for a moment. A lot of players out there really appreciate the change in pace of a good 1v1, 1v2 or 2v2-3 or whatever from the constant zerging without being restricted to BGs. 1v1 and small scale fights are different in open world pvp than they are in BGs or duels outside of Cyro and I'm just saying, try and keep things healthy and fun for everyone. Not everything has to be zerged down everywhere all the time.
  • Tr4gicDe4th
    Tr4gicDe4th
    ✭✭✭
    its war. anything goes
    Xbox One - NA
    Gamertag: Tr4gicDe4th

***Need unwanted motifs for my crafter***
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people insist on dueling right next to a keep or places where there has been recent combat? If you want to 1:1, do it in the great expanses of uninhabited Cyrodiil, outside of the path of war. If you fight where others can see, expect them to join in.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you wanna 1v1 in cyro stay out of the hot lanes. Otherwise don't be mad at people for playing the game exactly as intended.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and if you dont intervene you get salty messages from the team mate for not helping

since im not psychic i will continue to watch/intervene as and when i see fit
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭
    Zombienation bro. Anything and everything with a different color must die.
    - easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be glad this game doesn't have kill mails, it's even worse then. :sweat_smile:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    'cause you help your allies in war, duh.
    If people want to duel, they typically give you a sign, bashing the air, etc.
  • Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    I admit it is a bit absurd when a hoard of player swarm into to help one player but it is WAR. You will be attacked by as many that are willing to take you down be it 1v1 or if you are alone.

The weird part is getting TB by players after the fact.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chatted with a mate about this and we speculated that as your first experience of PvP is getting killed before you even saw them, about ten times, and everything was manic. And it took weeks to get one bonafide kill there's this part of most of us that's just desperate to get a kill before tables are turned.

You know. Like that franticness from the early days returns.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • anamenobodyelsehas
    anamenobodyelsehas
    ✭✭✭
    I think the answer to "why" is pretty straightforward. All of these issues follow a certain template:

Person: "Why do people do things that I think are bad/wrong/mean/unhelpful/rude/irritating?"

The Internet: "Because f-u, that's why."

Sad, really, but I am convinced that it is true.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give this game another two or three years before "adding" into a fight becomes a faux pas.

Right now, most 1vX players won't add on to another 1vX player's fight.

Once the casual players start to die off, and the population lowers so that we know our enemies more, adding onto fights will begin to get you blacklisted.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the answer to "why" is pretty straightforward. All of these issues follow a certain template:

Person: "Why do people do things that I think are bad/wrong/mean/unhelpful/rude/irritating?"

I'd have to agree with you. I'm just putting the word out and hoping at least a few people will open up to it.

@Reverb @Metemsycosis oh I agree with you both. I think it's silly when players set up dueling shop outside bleaks. I'm not even talking about planning duels more just when two players meet say on their way between Nikel and Ash and are fighting it out off to the side. Like just let them fight it out, the giant blue/yellow/red blob doesn't need to intervene. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I totally agree that if you want to have a legit duel then set it up in an out of the way spot.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Turelus exploding mail? I'm in.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot be randomly fighting someone in Cyro and be expected to be left alone. There are no rules in Cyro, no etiquette. There is smash the opposing teams by any means necessary. If you want a 1 V 1 fight please duel that person in a PVE area.

How is a random group of people who comes upon the fight supposed to know you two are in a special 1V1 fight and should be left alone. Maybe they came upon the fight and for all they know you two are the only ones left from a fight that had several people in it at one time. No one can read you minds. You can be upset of about it obviously but there is no reason to be upset at the players that was just playing in Cyro like the rest of us do. I am sure we could what if this to death on what another players thinks is going on when they come upon two people fighting.My first instinct it to help my side win..
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »

I'd have to agree with you. I'm just putting the word out and hoping at least a few people will open up to it.

@Reverb @Metemsycosis oh I agree with you both. I think it's silly when players set up dueling shop outside bleaks. I'm not even talking about planning duels more just when two players meet say on their way between Nikel and Ash and are fighting it out off to the side. Like just let them fight it out, the giant blue/yellow/red blob doesn't need to intervene. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I totally agree that if you want to have a legit duel then set it up in an out of the way spot.

It is bad strategy op.
    Fwiw if i see an enemy in cyro they are just that, an enemy. Engage first. Ask questions later. I get the mentality of let the 1v1 go, i do. But at the same time that 1v1 if left unchecked might turn into a disadvantageous situation for my team, if say the enemy is micing in for back up. Whereas if we just kill the guy even if back up is on the way that group is one less.

sanguinare vampiris

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Defilted it's really not that hard, I do it all the time albeit I'm not usually in a group larger than 2 people. But as I said killing that one person isn't "smashing" the apposing team in fact it's completely inconsequential to you but could mean something to them. It's not that hard to simply say hey look those guys look like they're having a decent fight, no need to three dragon leaps here. Hell if you really need to zerg something down see if the other guy wins and have at it when the fights over then you can have your kill. If he dies then you can rez. There's nothing "special " going on it's just simple decency to say hey maybe these dudes are good players and just want to do something else besides spam abilities. Not a difficult concept. I know that cyro has become a numbers game but you can have a lot more fun if you assess the situation you're in anyway. I get it that decent play isn't for everyone. If you feel the need to get that zerg kill then go for it. This post is for the people who might want to try for something a bit different.
    Edited by Vapirko on September 8, 2017 6:37PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The same players that jump into your 1v1 fight are usually the same players that stealth out and don't help when you're out numbered. Everyone has different skill levels and motivations and you will never get people to play the way you want. Expecting otherwise is just gonna ruin the experience for you so it's best to laugh it off and just move on.

It used to drive me crazy when people hide on walls watching keeps flag or hide upstairs instead of defending flags, but I've just learned to accept it and I enjoy the game much better now when I have no expectations from other players.

What used to anger me has now turned into an enjoyable experience where I now watch the wall dwellers die because they don't have enough sense to get inside when the wall comes down. Maybe try the same thing with your duels. When they jump in stop fighting and let them die and then just continue your duel while they sit dead on the ground thinking about what they did wrong.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Metemsycosis i understand that but there are very few players out there who could turn the tide of battle on their own. But again play how you play I'm just asking that people toss out a bone once in a while and maybe just sometimes be like those guys looking they're having a good fight, it doesn't mean anything to us.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP I have myself let two people battle it out and just watched on more than one occasion. I have been in a 1V1 where I got zerged while it was going on. What I am saying is you cannot impose rules into Cyro that are not enforced by the game mechanics. People go into Cyro to fight other players. There are no 1v1 rules or 2v4 rules.... All there is a AvAvA. This is the core mechanic. you are going to frustrate yourself to death trying to change what the majority of people are going to do in Cyro which is zerg you to death. Most people do not care if you are engaged in a fight and they certainly are not going to think about what they are doing before zerging both of you or one of you down.

Spelling
    Edited by Defilted on September 8, 2017 6:51PM
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Defilted I'm not frustrated at all. I'm not trying to change the game or impose rules I'm just tossing out an opinion and maybe it'll change a couple of minds. That's all. Thanks for being one of the good ones.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    @Metemsycosis i understand that but there are very few players out there who could turn the tide of battle on their own. But again play how you play I'm just asking that people toss out a bone once in a while and maybe just sometimes be like those guys looking they're having a good fight, it doesn't mean anything to us.

A good stam dk or magsorc or magtemplar or warden could potentially lock down a small group by turtling up, while the bombers are on their way. Ive let a fair share of 1v1s go, especially deep in the early hrs of the morning. Sometimes ill stop and watch. But if there is an objective at stake anywhere near these 1v1s are anything but inconsequential imo.

Btw i like to solo my way to zergfests so it is common to find a 1v1 in which further opposition is likely. It is just a reality of cyrodiil.

I feel you, at any rate. Just imo better safe than sorry.

sanguinare vampiris

• Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all keeps and scrolls are owned by my faction, I might consider letting people duel. But you don't actually have to be in Cyrodiil to 1v1 you know...
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a funny one...

I can't remember how many times I've come to someone's "rescue" - only to suddenly find myself engaged in a 1v1...

location, location, location...

as soon as I see my "ally" stop fighting i try to disengage...sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS built a entire system to solve this by adding merging all the factions together in one Tamriel and putting in a Dueling system that can keep all others out of the fight in regular zones and yet ... there's this guy . No wonder PVE players think we can never be happy .
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I jump in on those 1v1's near an objective. I don't know the skill level of the players involved. I'd rather kill the enemy players as a I see them than pass them by and risk the enemy winning that 1v1. The last thing a siege/battle needs is an unchecked enemy player hitting from behind or one more player defending a keep.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a group PvP area we now complain about group PvP?

For one, it's in our interest that the enemy dies, not a member of our alliance. There is this little not so friendly competition to win the campaign.

Yes, it's only a few hundred to maybe a thousand AP added in but it still adds up.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Everything is fair in Love and War. No hesitation kill the enemy no matter what. You are in a open world faction vs faction vs faction zone, no matter what, there is no complaining if you die. You never know what might strike, when, who or where. Kill anyone you see to eliminate the possibility of further danger from them, and if they respawn, then kill them again.

Also AP!
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If its red its dead...

Seriously, though.. As soon as people start avoiding other fights, its a short step to wondering around cyro wondering what you can join it to...

Nope, that enemy is taken... Nope, that one is... Oo, there's one... Bah - too late... You end up wondering around not finding a fight, not helping your team, then getting ran over by a fg who don't care..
    Or you find you get ganged up on by every enemy who was already 'taken' but won their fights, leaving you wishing you'd helped your teammates..

Nah. I don't want that game, so I will ALWAYS add on a fight, no matter what the numbers.
    Teammates SHOULD be helping each other in all instances.
    Edited by Biro123 on September 8, 2017 7:57PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On your end it might look like a nameplate, on my side its a big red "1500 AP" - sign.

Tho its usually the better choice to watch for a few secs to see if the AP-bag looks stronk or might even be a 1vX-hero trying to bait newbies.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually leave 1vXer's alone unless it's someone I know that I want to troll :trollface:

But if it's 1v1 I still leave them alone. If anyone expects me to help you in your duel in Cyro, lol nope. That 1v1 will help put some manly hairs on your chest.

If the fight is near an objective? All bets are off.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on September 8, 2017 8:04PM