The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Decorating Hints, Tips & Ideas

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    we need fireplaces, in one piece!! not crown storeish
    Edited by altemriel on November 21, 2017 7:36PM
  • cbdfarm
    cbdfarm
    ✭✭✭
    Looking for some tips on some items I havent seen or that may come up on the gold trader every so often, but I am running a Daedric, Elf, and Nord style house mostly, I dont mind using other styles, but those are the main ones im interested in. I also like lights... And statues. My house isnt complete by any means and I still have around 150-200 slots to go and am looking for others opinions. I plan to turn this into a guild house eventually. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaGCbRMLv3A
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have morrowind there’s a shrine outside vivec city where there’s 6 guild vendors, that’s where I buy all my goodies. They have a lot good items, bps for sale there including luxury vendor items. They have a lot of daedric bps and items as well.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was trying to decorate that slaughterfish area in my Daggerfall castle and made this.
    7CZJ4YM.jpg
    4TCBpMq.jpg
    7StkjwX.jpg
    Walls and floor are made of Orcish platforms and "Orsinium Relief, Malacath" + some random Ayleid thingies and other stuff.
    Btw, does anyone know if theres a way to move/rotate items more precisely? Its very difficult to align them. :(
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on November 22, 2017 2:41AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was trying to decorate that slaughterfish area in my Daggerfall castle and made this.
    7CZJ4YM.jpg
    4TCBpMq.jpg
    7StkjwX.jpg
    Walls and floor are made of Orcish platforms and "Orsinium Relief, Malacath" + some random Ayleid thingies and other stuff.
    Btw, does anyone know if theres a way to move/rotate items more precisely? Its very difficult to align them. :(

Homestead ocd addon. If your on console you are outta luck
  • patrick_smyth
    patrick_smyth
    ✭✭✭

I prefer "Homestead item mover". This and "Furniture Grouper" have been time savers for me.
    @patrick_smyth PC EU Server
    Character: Richard Greymane - Breton Assassin (Stamina Nightblade) - Daggerfall Covenant
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    7CZJ4YM.jpg
    4TCBpMq.jpg
    7StkjwX.jpg

I prefer "Homestead item mover". This and "Furniture Grouper" have been time savers for me.

Thanks! :)
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm on console and can't get some of the great add-ons out there, so I've just placed things as best I can. I'm kind of a perfectionist, though, and take my time moving things from different angles to get it right. If I have to place or move something out of reach, I'll put up planks for scaffolding. For close up things, like those fricken frackin books, I use first person and crouch (sneak) if it's lower to the ground. It's frustrating sometimes, lol, but with a lot of patience, I've pretty much been able to place everything right where I want it. What I'd like to see implemented on console is a grouping tool so I can move several pieces together.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *Flipped a Khajiit fireplace upside down, sank it into the ground and placed my blacksmith station on top so it looks like it's lit up.

@Pink_E_808 I did that with a provisioning station in Ald Velothi. The way the walls/ceilings are in that place, there really wasn't a good place for me to create a fireplace in my kitchen area. So, I flipped a Kahjiit fireplace upside down to create a nice foundation for it and it adds some additional glow to the fire.
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Jayne_Doe I didn't even expect that to happen, lol. I just wanted a nice stone base for my station and was pleasantly surprised when I saw I could still turn the fire pit on and the result when I tried it.
    Your idea sounds awesome, too! I was thinking of getting that home eventually, so that's a great tip.
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can make a sunken fireplace in the floor with stone blocks or I did one with aleyid benches. Pic on page 8.
    Edited by Krainor1974 on November 28, 2017 11:09PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can make a sunken fireplace in the floor with stone blocks or I did one with aleyid benches. Pic on page 8.

I saw your pics and that's a great idea for adding some warmth to a room. But, it doesn't work well for using the provisioning station. You need a flat surface and nothing around it. Perhaps, though, it could work if the central base was large enough so the benches/blocks were not interfering with the station.

What's odd is that I tried to place a cauldron next to my provisioning station, which was sitting on a statue base, but it rendered the station unusable since it was too close. However, I can sink a nord torch or indoril brazier into the station so that just the flames are showing, and it still works.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used stone slabs under my provisioning station in Gardner House with no problems, but the station was sitting on top of them and not surrounded by them.

You can also put a provisioning station in a large stone fireplace you have built yourself, providing it's wide enough and the station is not sitting near the back wall.
    Edited by Aurie on December 4, 2017 10:36PM
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would love opinions/advice on the inside of my alchemy shop I created out of the Sleek Creek house. The other half of the inside is the personal quarters (since the shop owner works out of her house). I'll probably add more potions/bottles. I included things like the pheasant bird/fish since feathers/scales can be ingredients. Any relevant achievement items besides the alchemy and Deshaan (plague cure) ones?
    a8f7c6b7069806bd4ea00c0422fb6ca0.png

4df3613813402b12adc11b0090a8ad42.png

0f152e8ed9c0cb043c6fbb0969c290b8.png

53c9a2c74409f9084fca6f43be60db86.png
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @emilyhyoyeon - I like it, but it's a little dark. Maybe add some of those vvard or coldharbor glowy plants? As for other ideas, perhaps the DB poison vials? Those look cool.
    Edited by Jaeysa on December 8, 2017 2:41PM
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love opinions/advice on the inside of my alchemy shop I created out of the Sleek Creek house. The other half of the inside is the personal quarters (since the shop owner works out of her house). I'll probably add more potions/bottles. I included things like the pheasant bird/fish since feathers/scales can be ingredients. Any relevant achievement items besides the alchemy and Deshaan (plague cure) ones?

I love it! Perhaps you could consider filling your desks - stack of books, inkwell, quill.

Great ambience.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, long time no see!
    Both the game and RL kept me away from decorating lately but today I managed to make something I was planning on doing the first day they released those items:
    a frozen waterfall
    9lixr40mc9hh.png
    5ipwjus4cim7.png
    ked5yz1jzzks.png
    Since I had no house that it would really fit, I decided that my Hunding's has been struck with an Ice Comet on its highest point: the result is my little winter corner (still a work in project, waiting to see what the new life festival will bring as furnishings)
    6t2u8txs4ukv.png
    I partucularly enjoy blowing the horn from atop my home :p
    spqtim8cc2hk.png
    7btrpyt3psc2.png

edit to add a night screenshot
    k1f8mt4p0b8a.png
    Edited by Arciris on December 10, 2017 11:43PM
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arciris wrote: »
    Hello everyone, long time no see!
    Both the game and RL kept me away from decorating lately but today I managed to make something I was planning on doing the first day they released those items:
    a frozen waterfall
    9lixr40mc9hh.png
    5ipwjus4cim7.png
    ked5yz1jzzks.png
    Since I had no house that it would really fit, I decided that my Hunding's has been struck with an Ice Comet on its highest point: the result is my little winter corner (still a work in project, waiting to see what the new life festival will bring as furnishings)
    6t2u8txs4ukv.png
    I partucularly enjoy blowing the horn from atop my home :p
    spqtim8cc2hk.png
    7btrpyt3psc2.png

edit to add a night screenshot
    k1f8mt4p0b8a.png

Looks great , if that was a huge diamond node you set for life , lol
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Okay I don’t have pics but if you need a tree topper in Vivec the achievement vender sells these thin yellow crystals. If you use five of them they make a perfect star for smaller to medium size Christmas trees.

You can also use them to put in ur horses head to have a unicorn lol try it out looks great
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay I don’t have pics but if you need a tree topper in Vivec the achievement vender sells these thin yellow crystals. If you use five of them they make a perfect star for smaller to medium size Christmas trees.

You can also use them to put in ur horses head to have a unicorn lol try it out looks great

Unfortunately, I live on the ragged edge of 700/700 furniture slots, so unless ZoS cave in and provide a pre-lit, no-drop Christmas tree (I don’t want to have to clean up pine needles, I just had my rugs steam cleaned) then I’m done. I KNOW it’s not lore......but I don’t care. I want one anyway!
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Krainor1974
    Thank you and lol! I hope this will bring me good fortune :p
  • Yvarhna
    Yvarhna
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to pop into this thread to say how much I enjoyed going through this thread and seeing all your pics of your houses and the creative ideas you have all shared. Some of the details are amazing! I've just got the one house for now (Gardiner House) and slowly adding piece by piece as I go. Will eventually post a pic once I created something awesome to share too.
  • Whiphid
    Whiphid
    ✭✭✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)

I made a couple of minor changes, but I think they make all the difference so I'm sharing. The Provisioning Station itself doesn't offer much light and the fire doesn't animate much, so I buried a Nord triple torch beneath the ground with just the tip of the tallest torch showing. The collision is such that it just about works, so you get increased light and the added effect of animated sparks and small flames coming up through the cooking fire from the torches below.

I have also placed a brass plate, available from the Clockwork City vendor and via the Crown Store, as a back-plate for the hearth. It's a pretty decent fit, and it glows nicely with the added light from the torches. So please I went back to the original provisioning station!

I expanded a bit upon your fireplace idea in my own houses. Not using the actual cooking station, all deco, but figured it was worth sharing.

First one is in Daggerfall Overlook, making a large kitchen on the 2nd floor. I've used the small CWC plates on the side to make the brass plate in the back less obvious.

SddCAHu.jpg

Second is in Strident Springs. Smaller kitchen, so I used the circular statue base for the top part. An upside down Clockwork Barrel Wide is used to as an exhaust hood, since it has the nice grating. Shown in the 3rd picture, this kitchen actually has pipes on the ceiling to simulate a ventilation system. Since this is in one of the small upstairs rooms, the other side has a similar setup, but with firelogs.

0cpbopE.jpg

8d9foDF.jpg

One land! One Emperor! Who among you will stand with me?

PS4/EU - Breton Sorcerer / Breton Healplar / Khajiit Stamblade / Khajiit Stamplar / Altmer SorcTank
    Grand Master Crafter and Guild Master of the Aetherium Alliance.
  • Whiphid
    Whiphid
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also modernised the bathroom plumbing a bit with Dwemer items. Got a fire heating the boiler (and the room), with a faucet coming out of the pipework to fill the bathtub with warm water.

FaFeKSl.jpg

Faucet uses a Dark Elf Decanter with a Tiered Dwarven Gear as the knob. Pipe Cap to make it less obvious the decanter is just sticking from the pipe.

YxErUkM.jpg
    One land! One Emperor! Who among you will stand with me?

PS4/EU - Breton Sorcerer / Breton Healplar / Khajiit Stamblade / Khajiit Stamplar / Altmer SorcTank
    Grand Master Crafter and Guild Master of the Aetherium Alliance.
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Whiphid Wow! Stunningly creative! The fireplaces look so warm & inviting and the bathroom is amazing! Thankyou for sharing!
    I may end up pinching a few of your ideas if you don't mind! :)
    Edited by kip_silverwolf on December 15, 2017 5:35AM
    "I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena

• agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Loving that bathroom - the tap (faucet) is very creative! Awesome job @Whiphid B)
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A decent looking heating source, I have 4 fans and each once has two insence in it.
    708tzkchjrtd.jpeg
    Water being pumped up into boilers to create steam
    g28lsfh57098.jpeg
    Edited by Krainor1974 on December 22, 2017 6:46PM
  • pimvh44b16_ESO
    Some great creations here! Definitely stealing some of them, but here's one I came up with myself:
    After waiting forever for some decent planter/jardinière-furniture to be added (love the ones in Vvardenfell), I decided to make my own.
    They'r made by sinking a 'Redguard Bench, Arc' into the floor, and partly into the wall (so yeah, this method doesn't work for any rooms on higher floors, or when there's a room on the other side of the wall. Unless you don't mind a portion of the bench sticking out from the wall or ceiling), and then covering up/hiding the floor to make it look like soil. Since I was going for a Vvarndefell/Morrowind theme, I used the huge volcanic boulders from the Vivec furnishing vendor, sunken into the ground, to make it seem like ashy soil, but other rocks/boulders could work for different colours and textures. As you can see, I also made an example using the vines from the Vulkwasten furnishing vendor. I also really like how the Dwemer fountain fits with the improvised planter.

LMmHHxT.png
    m3qD4rR.png
    JYouaef.png
    Edited by pimvh44b16_ESO on January 22, 2018 8:54AM