Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

PC Now Has a Global Auction House

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    Using Kaspersky Internet Security here, and it blocked the program from downloading due a virus. And Kaspersky is right about that stuff 99.9% of the time.
    I've met Kaspersky several times during business meetings. I would not let anything with his name on it get within 10 feet of any of my computers.

That guy is the epitome of dodgy ...
    icon8.gif
    Options
  • Arthur_Spoonfondle
    Arthur_Spoonfondle
    ✭✭✭✭
    A bit concerned about the potential, er, dodgyness of this addon but, hope Zos take the hint and do something about an official global AH.
    Options
  • AoDD33pfri3d
    AoDD33pfri3d
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably turn out like neverwinter people will be posting trash
    Options
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think current trade system is perfect, but to say that it is a fail? Well you are definitely exaggerating.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kneighbors wrote: »
    I don't think current trade system is perfect, but to say that it is a fail? Well you are definitely exaggerating.

Hardly - it's a complete mess.

People are paying to sell their goods on top of listing fees (what game has ever done this to people) - with rapidly rising costs, and some weeks people don't even have a place to sell their stuff (what game has ever done this to people).

I would say these two things alone, not even taking into consideration how buyers need to run all over the map to find what they want plus the ridiculous guild pvp and trader exploits, put this ESO trade system firmly into fail territory.
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »

People are paying to sell their goods on top of listing fees (what game has ever done this to people) - with rapidly rising costs, and some weeks people don't even have a place to sell their stuff (what game has ever done this to people).

I would say these two things alone, not even taking into consideration how buyers need to run all over the map to find what they want plus the ridiculous guild pvp and trader exploits, put this ESO trade system firmly into fail territory.

They'res always been games with listing fee's no matter what they are WoW even has a listing fee and sale fee, in Swtor you get the fee back if you don't cancel the item but that's a diff story.

Also yes I believe they should add centralized marketers as well and use those marketers for people without guilds to list like 10 items total that last for 7d instead of 30d. Also to allow the marketers to pool all item information from that zone to them instead so therefore we still have the guild traders and a smaller type of AH system.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They'res always been games with listing fee's.

Listing fees are normal - the problem I was pointing out is having to pay for the right to sell your goods ON TOP OF LISTING FEES, and also some weeks not even having access to a selling market at all.

And the extra people are being asked to pay is rapidly increasing.
    Edited by Betheny on July 22, 2017 8:52PM
    Options
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing fees are normal - the problem I was pointing out is having to pay for the right to sell your goods ON TOP OF LISTING FEES, and also some weeks not even having access to a selling market at all.

I hear ya, but there are many guilds without mandatory fees. Some simply kick inactive people, others only charge if you don't meet their sales minimums. If you're bumping that second criteria, maybe you aren't who they're looking for? That's not a failure, not everyone plays the game for the economy.

I wonder how Zeni's going to take this existing on Monday. Players have created addons to add features in the past, and it hasn't always been allowed. GroupDamage comes to mind.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erraln wrote: »

...not everyone plays the game for the economy.

The point in there is that all players have a need to sell their stuff - people playing games need to be able to sell excess loot and buy what they need.

If the system only supports "people who play the game for the economy" then the system is broken for most of the players.
    I wonder how Zeni's going to take this existing on Monday. Players have created addons to add features in the past, and it hasn't always been allowed. GroupDamage comes to mind.

I see this addon as sorely needed, it brings the economy back to regular people who don't have time to play the economy. Hope it works out.
    Edited by Betheny on July 22, 2017 9:08PM
    Options
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The point in there is that all players have a need to sell their stuff - people playing games need to be able to sell excess loot and buy what they need.

If the system only supports "people who play the game for the economy" then the system is broken for most of the players.

Yeah I always try to suggest this to every post possible that talks about the economy

Also yes I believe they should add centralized marketers as well and use those marketers for people without guilds to list like 10 items total that last for 7d instead of 30d. Also to allow the marketers to pool all item information from that zone to them instead so therefore we still have the guild traders and a smaller type of AH system.

Options
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, with over 200 total downloads, I do wonder: Is anyone here actually using the mod? The updater's been removed, apparently, but I don't see any more comments from people who know what to make of that.
    Options
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this addon as sorely needed, it brings the economy back to regular people who don't have time to play the economy. Hope it works out.

Have you done the math on just how many people have access to the guild traders? I mean, there's like 130+ without counting the Thieves Dens, so 66k traders assuming no overlap, 40k more realistically, per server. I know there's hundreds of thousands of people online daily, but aren't most of those playing the game for its questing content? What do they generate for the economy besides a trickle of materials that the botter firms would far surpass with global AH access? Meanwhile, you see the trade guilds recruiting in zone every day. Where's the disconnect for people who want to sell?

I agree that the interface sucks. I'd never use it without AGS and other addons, and it's terrible that it's left in that state on Console. Bid wars suck for everyone involved. But I've seen this 'it's so exclusive' argument in the past, and it doesn't really hold water once you look at the sheer numbers that can access the system as it stands.

I'm neutral towards the AH concept, I'll play the market either way. I don't think this is the way for it to be done, though, not if it requires people to trust a third party server to handle the workings. There's too much room for abuse by the host.
    Edited by Erraln on July 22, 2017 9:38PM
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm neutral towards the AH concept, I'll play the market either way. I don't think this is the way for it to be done, though, not if it requires people to trust a third party server to handle the workings. There's too much room for abuse by the host.

It's awkward, but the community has been asking for help on the trading system from ZOS for years now, and they've done nothing to fix it...once again it's been left to the addon authors to find a solution.

At this point maybe we should be asking for changes to the LUA code so this addon wouldn't have to reach an outside server to complete the trading info.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esotoon wrote: »
    silvereyes wrote: »
    If ZOS wanted to crack down on third-party auction house services like TTC and this new Nirn auction house, all they would need to do is reference the above TOS clause. But the fact that the clause exists isn't really enough to tell us how ZOS feels about these services. It's such a broad clause that it's effectively a blank check for ZOS to do whatever they want to censor people.

My guess is that while ZOS might not actively endorse such services, it would be too much hassle to send out cease and desist letters to shut them down.

I would imagine that they would view this add-on differently to TTC and MM. In this case players would be bypassing the guild trader system. Part of that system is the 'tax' that gets deducted from the sale. This is a gold sink, and is designed to keep inflation under control. In other words, a pretty vital part of the in game economy.

I do not think Zos will care. Even if the security issues are fixed I doubt it will be heavily used due to issues and such with CoD.. The security issue is to your own PC and @DRXHarbinger discovered it after he had colleagues at the computer security company he works for analyze it. It had been detected by some antivirus programs so he had it tested. The author is also an unknown in addon creation for ESO which is another red flag.

Granted, the author has updated the add-on and made it available for download but the red flags presented already are enough of a concern for me to avoid it. To each their own.
    Options
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's awkward, but the community has been asking for help on the trading system from ZOS for years now, and they've done nothing to fix it...once again it's been left to the addon authors to find a solution.

At this point maybe we should be asking for changes to the LUA code so this addon wouldn't have to reach an outside server to complete the trading info.

I think I'd be fine with that LUA change. Why are you fine with espousing a security risk to other people in your free time?
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think I'd be fine with that LUA change. Why are you fine with espousing a security risk to other people in your free time?

I'm not espousing anything, I'm discussing an addon.
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are the primary proponent of this addon, including the original post, through 8 pages of this thread. You are ignoring all the posts saying this exe file contains a virus and contains numerous security risks to its users.

YES, you ARE espousing its use.
    Edited by Darlgon on July 22, 2017 9:48PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »

You are the primary proponent of this addon, including the original post, through 8 pages of this thread. You are ignoring all the posts saying this exe file contains a virus.

No I'm not, I'm discussing an addon that I happened to stumble across, and the terrible trade system that spawned its need to be created.

I know you're really really into your trade guild system, but for most people it doesn't work for them. Trying to cast aspersions on basically everything that isn't what you want about the trade system won't work here.

And I did not ignore the claims about the .exe - I even edited the title and told people not to install this when people started saying their app returned bad things...then the addon author returned, changed the files and made it 100% okay (no malware app detects anything in it now and Minion okayed it). You're still in yesterday.

It's clear you're trying to make people not want to use the thing, because you're a supporter of the current trading system, probably you make loads of gold off the little people by charging stupid fees overpricing your wares and cornering the market, and generally giving the trading experience bad feels. Right back at you.
    Edited by Betheny on July 22, 2017 9:56PM
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are the primary proponent of this addon, including the original post, through 8 pages of this thread. You are ignoring all the posts saying this exe file contains a virus.

No I'm not, I'm discussing an addon that I happened to stumble across, and the terrible trade system that spawned its need to be created.

I know you're really really into your trade guild system, but for most people it doesn't work for them. Trying to cast aspersions on basically everything that isn't what you want about the trade system won't work here.

And I did not ignore the claims about the .exe - I even edited the title and told people not to install this when people started saying their app returned bad things...then the addon author returned, changed the files and made it 100% okay (no malware appp detects anything in it now and Minion okayed it). You're still in yesterday.

Actually, I am NOT into my trade guild system. I told ZoS it was not working a year after it was rolled out. I could make massively more money controlling the market in a global auction hall.

This spyware program is designed to go around a core system that Zenimax has said they will not allow in thier game, since it was discussed during beta. They do not want a global auction house and designed their game to not use one..

The fact that you can edit the exe makes it even more dangerous. That is one way spyware morphs beyond detection by security software, as noted by a poster earlier in the thread.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And I did not ignore the claims about the .exe - I even edited the title and told people not to install this when people started saying their app returned bad things...then the addon author returned, changed the files and made it 100% okay (no malware appp detects anything in it now and Minion okayed it). You're still in yesterday.

This spyware program is designed to go around a core system that Zenimax has said they will not allow in thier game, since it was discussed during beta. They do not want a global auction house and designed their game to not use one..

The fact that you can edit the exe makes it even more dangerous. That is one way spyware morphs beyond detection by security software, as noted by a poster earlier in the thread.

Look, I don't know how this is going to turn out, but calling a new addon author a maker of spyware is going a bit far don't you think, considering he hasn't done anything yet. So far all he's done is try to make an addon that people would actually love.

You're actively trying to put people off this addon, and slandering the addon author. If I was you I'd start going quiet.
    Edited by Betheny on July 22, 2017 10:10PM
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People are paying to sell their goods on top of listing fees (what game has ever done this to people)

Eve.
    with rapidly rising costs, and some weeks people don't even have a place to sell their stuff (what game has ever done this to people).

Usually, you want to end an inquiry, rhetorical or not, with a question mark. Like this, "?"

Also, who's rent is going up rapidly? I mean, I get it, someone's guild started turning the screws. Hell, I had one that had a sales quota which wasn't enforced, where they're now saying the do need that, or the donation. So, yeah, 500g a week is really going to break the bank.

There's always going to be a few horror stories out there. Doesn't matter what the context is. And, yes, that includes guild traders. Hey, remember the story about the guy who was kicked from their guild because they didn't get an invite to the closed beta, and how Morrowind was going to destroy the community, because of the divide between the haves and the have nots.

I think I know who's guild suddenly had to crank up their bidding, and, I've got a pretty good idea why. It doesn't mean the bidding averages are spiking, just that we're in a population lull between releases. So, people are slacking off a bit.

Also, you can always sell crap in your guild, if there's at least 50 members. Always. People forget, back at launch, the only way to buy and sell with one another were inside of guilds. You may not have access to a preferred market on any given week, but you will have access to one. Beyond that, things like TTC mean it's a hell of a lot easier to find items if they've been listed than people seem to think, and even those kiosks in the outlaw dens may have something you want, if you're willing to search their website.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

People are paying to sell their goods on top of listing fees (what game has ever done this to people)
    with rapidly rising costs, and some weeks people don't even have a place to sell their stuff (what game has ever done this to people).
    There's always going to be a few horror stories out there.

The guild leaders are battling hard to keep spots they used to be able to hold. If you don't know this then you haven't been paying attention.

This all trickles down to member stress - some weeks = no market, some guilds start increasing charges to deal with their own rising costs.
    Edited by Betheny on July 22, 2017 10:15PM
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [

/snip

Look, I don't know how this is going to turn out, but calling a new addon author a maker of spyware is going a bit far don't you think, considering he hasn't done anything yet. So far all he's done is try to make an addon that people would actually love.

You're actively trying to put people off this addon, and slandering the addon author. If I was you I'd start going quiet.

Warning people against a program that can attack their computers and accounts is a reason to NOT be quiet on this issue, possibly leading to their accounts being stolen or banned for violation of the TOS IS reason to not be quiet.. You are basically saying that, if Iknew who wrote the "ILoveYou" worm, I should keep quiet for fear of slandering the "absent in these forums author" a hacker.

So, lets just ignore that the security community has already sounded off, that this program should be deleted as malware, as noted earlier and quoted below.
    Beware: My virus scan is detecting a virus in this addon: Gen:Variant.Zusy.245090

"Gen:Variant.Zusy is a malicious software that once it is executed has the capability of replicating itself and infect other files and programs. These type of malware, called Viruses, can steal hard disk space and memory that slows down or completely halts your PC. It can also corrupt or delete data, erase your hard drive, steal personal information, hijack your screen and spam your contacts to spread itself to other users. Usually, a Virus is received as an attachment on an email or instant message. Gen:Variant.Zusy carries out damaging actions on the affected computer. It captures certain information entered or saved by the user, with the corresponding threat to privacy. It causes the loss of information stored on the computer, either specific files or data in general.

This threat can collect information about your PC and send it to a malicious hacker. The malicious hacker can then tell the worm to do a number of things, including downloading and installing other malware onto your PC. It spreads through removable storage devices, such as floppy disks or USB flash drives, by pretending to be one of your own files that you have put on there."
    well, it seems like the addon currently is on hold and it isn't possible to download it anymore.

Running some weird executables downloaded from some fancy sites is mostly a pretty stupid idea.

The author should provide the source code and everything that is need to compile it yourself as even having the source code won't tell you what the actual binary is doing.

Furthermore, even if it is clean and not an issue, this might be a ToS violation.

Anyway, someone at esuoi posted the following links:
    https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/f0a0c211f9daccffde4a441a606f7ed02d4ce7b0953b5fe0514eb0335a39e8d6/analysis/

https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/5af028a97377609e58e88a1115dd8d76e3ac873c24ac66b558bd3a26cd28f485/analysis/1500628331/

So some virus scanners consider these files malicious. It might be a false positive. Anyway, at the current moment I personally wouldn't touch this addon.
    OK so how it works here. I pull it off from my laptop onto a USB stick. This then gets put into a test environment and gets scanned and the .exe files used.

Result before runtime even finished.

"Do not deploy in live environment"

Due to access restrictions I cannot physically go in the room where they perform this but is the feedback from the security team.

Delete it.

YOU need to stop promoting it, unless you are the author.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [

/snip

I'm not promoting it. You're just full of accusations aren't you. Maybe you think I am the addon author, haha.

There are pills for this level of paranoia.

I won't answer another of your posts, this is ridiculous.

I am not going to stop discussing this, I'm quite interested in how this all turns out.
    The trade system is broken, someone just came along with a potential lifesaver for us, and it's interesting times.
    Edited by Betheny on July 22, 2017 10:28PM
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't know this then you haven't been paying attention.

I have been paying attention actually. I'm just not seeing anything like what you're describing. What I am seeing is someone working really hard to defend an addon that sets off every marginally competent anti-virus and then screams, "but it's all fake news," whenever anyone says that, maybe, just maybe, this is a bad idea.
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know anything about the addon but I have many security concerns with it . A addon with auto access to your account mail system seems dangerous to your character possessions to me . This comes from a admitted ignorance to how it works and a large does of paranoia from people saying virus detected . Rumors like those need to be confirmed or squashed otherwise the addon will be DOA .
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you don't know this then you haven't been paying attention.

I have been paying attention actually. I'm just not seeing anything like what you're describing. What I am seeing is someone working really hard to defend an addon that sets off every marginally competent anti-virus and then screams, "but it's all fake news," whenever anyone says that, maybe, just maybe, this is a bad idea.

I don't think you've been paying attention to anything, not the game, and not this thread. Going to ignore you, also.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know anything about the addon but I have many security concerns with it . A addon with auto access to your account mail system seems dangerous to your character possessions to me . This comes from a admitted ignorance to how it works and a large does of paranoia from people saying virus detected . Rumors like those need to be confirmed or squashed otherwise the addon will be DOA .

Yeah, if there's some legitimate paranoia to be had here, it's this. Especially when you consider that this originally bundled with an autoupdater.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Will be watching how this all goes. Some people do seem to be testing it right now, I'm not one of them as I have my own concerns as well. Would rather watch it and see how it goes for a while.

Which means I'll continue to discuss it like a calm adult instead of running around screaming the thing is going to destroy the world.
    Edited by Betheny on July 22, 2017 10:55PM
    Options
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [

/snip

I'm not promoting it. You're just full of accusations aren't you. Maybe you think I am the addon author, haha.

There are pills for this level of paranoia.

Ad hominem, poor form.

You may not have said 'hey everyone, I, Betheny, want YOU, to download this executable and violate ToS by running it with ESO!', but by consistently bumping the thread and arguing for what benefits you believe it will provide, and downplaying the obvious risks, you're effectively acting as a shill. Maybe you're not being paid to promote it, I don't know. But, it's simply stupid to download this before Zenimax greenlights it. And guess what? They won't.

To be frank, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a CnD sent to the developer. And if they do anything to block NAH on the addon level, TTC will probably get taken down with it, as cyxui stated on ESOUI that the NAH is primarly running TTC code without permission. Judging by your posts, that's not something you want, right?

If you don't understand the basic problem people have: Addons are not self-contained programs, they're scripts that the game runs. They can do nothing that Zenimax hasn't intentionally allowed them to do. When the users find emergent command behavior and make an addon do something new or unintended, Zenimax at times has removed the capabilities to do so.

Once addons could send mails with attachments, but someone put a line in to mail everyone's gold to him: That got turned off, he got banned. Once addons could see who was responsible for what skill, and extrapolate to tell you everyone's name in the area and how much damage they dealt to the mob you're attacking. DPS meter in PvE, ally and enemy radar in PvP. That got changed within a couple weeks.

This is different for NAH because it's also a program outside the game. I'm not sure what Zeni will do if they decide to take action here, but we're talking about a company that bans first and asks questions never. I'm not going to test it.

I'm going to stop bumping your thread for you, at this point. I don't require a response, but I do hope you think about this for longer than is required to cherry pick a sentence and generate a pithy reply.
    Edited by Erraln on July 22, 2017 11:03PM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.