Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Morrowind: A Massive Dissapointment

• Mitoice
    Mitoice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.. the Tel Galen tower got completely butchered... on morrowind (original) it was a structure of wood.. on this morrowind is a flesh atronach structure.. completely different from the original
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    SanTii.92 wrote: »
    Care being more specific? In which way "dunmers got completly butchered", what does that even mean.

Culturally, they are so mild! In TES 3 I had to work my butt off to not get shanked. They hated "outsiders", even mainland Dunmer. Dunmer of Vvardenfell should be dour, grim, aggressive and slightly psychotically religious.

Really? I must say that I have not played TES 3 but this is the opposite of the impression I got of Vvardenfell dunmer. They appear aggressive, hypocritical, extremely egocentristic(sp) and stuck up jerks(sorry if you do like dunmer, I genuinely mean no offence, it's just my impression :p ) who only barely tolerate outsiders only because they desperately need them for survival. If you read the lorebooks/letters on the way you'll see plenty of mentions of Dunmer grumbling about having to accept outsiders but either realizing it's necessary for survival(because war, Pact, supplies, stuff) or being convinced by their superiors who'd basically be like "well yeah they suck...but don't tell them this because we need them. We are superior but our superiority doesn't translate well into supplies you know".

So we agree then? Maybe you didn't read me right?
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This "dlc" added some prettier, updated textures (for the most part). That's it, that's the good. It completely butchered everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered.

Your opinion is just that...your opinion. It carries no more nor less weight than anyone else's opinion. I have been playing Morrowind the last couple of weeks and, despite the fact that the mushroom esthetic is not my thing, I have thoroughly enjoyed this zone. Yesterday I completed the quest line that gives a scale model of Vvardenfell as a reward. I love it and have already set it up in my Grand Topol island home. For me, it's the best quest reward yet.

In some respects, Morrowind is quite different from the base ESO game and previous DLCs. As such, it offers increased variety to the game's overall content. Also, it does not copy the previous solo-game version, but is set nearly 1000 years in the past. So it doesn't "butcher" anything, but adds to the lore of the series. I'm not a lore geek, but for those who are, this should open a whole new perspective on the lore.

Sorry if it doesn't meet your expectations, but for me it's been a delight.

I'm aware of that. If you read any of my replies I made that quite clear. But thank you for pointing out to me that my review is in fact my opinion, that was helpful.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitoice wrote: »
    Well.. the Tel Galen tower got completely butchered... on morrowind (original) it was a structure of wood.. on this morrowind is a flesh atronach structure.. completely different from the original

Great example, I rushed to see it and I was very dissapointed. I also was dissapointed to see that the iconic big round door was changed.
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came back to ESO for the Morrowind "dlc", and only because it was Morrowind. Morrowind has a special place in my heart; it was the first rpg of it's kind that I had ever played at the time of it's release. It really captivated me, it still does, and I would guess that's true for a lot of other, older folks as well. So the bar has already been set pretty high.

Now I knew that I would have to make some internal compromises to enjoy this "dlc", obviously they wouldn't recreate everything. However, at the end of the day I am paying the same price for this "dlc", that I paid for Morrowind back in 2002, so I was expecting quality. Wow was I wrong.

This "dlc" added some prettier, updated textures (for the most part). That's it, that's the good. It completely butchered everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered. This "dlc" needs to be treated like a Michael Bay movie to be enjoyed; you need to grit your teeth, and turn off that brain. Now if you've never played any TES game (especially Morrowind) and/or do not give any you know whats about the lore or the charm of TES 3: Morrowind, then this may be quite enjoyable- I wouldn't know.

I do not understand how Zenimax is okay selling this product. I wish I knew what Todd Howard does to dull the pain.

Actually Todd is very much behind and happy with the games direction. hate to burst your bubble .

Personally I like the Xpack, different strokes
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Care being more specific? In which way "dunmers got completly butchered", what does that even mean.

Isn't it obvious? Nayru butchered a few, Veya also butchered many. Lots of butchering! :)
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fodore wrote: »

Isn't it obvious? Nayru butchered a few, Veya also butchered many. Lots of butchering! :)

It's covered in previous replies. Please, read them at your leisure.
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fodore wrote: »

It's covered in previous replies. Please, read them at your leisure.

lol it's so funny how you don't take anything anyone says as a joke.

And btw I am really enjoying morrowind atm
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lore is the least critical thing for me to a point. I think after watching Lawrence and Zeb on ESO Live that there was more that should have made it into the game than did. Its all (story, lore, quests) a bit stunted to me. Nothing feels connected or it they could only happen here. Mushroom towers are treated as this amazing achievement but really look like some infectious growth. Telvanni wizards are great and powerful... because they say so. Still didn't see proof that joining them was any better than joining the Mage's Guild. Vivec is a total new argument but similar. So when people say they want that great Morrowind experience and I see this... stuff. I believe the previous Morrowind must have been a total pile of crap if this is how things are done.

Honestly, the original Morrowind sucked, didn't it? It must have had Arena style quests. And lore was whatever someone made up on a napkin then tore in half. And this Morrowind is before it all went into the crapper.
  • tepav
    tepav
    ✭✭
    OP makes some interesting points in his OpEd on this. Interesting to me, because I am not a super Lore freak, nor do I get radically upset if someone produces a game or expac for a game that does not stay "true" to the lore completely. If it is fun and provides some new content and new class (even if not everyone likes the new class) then I am rather happy.

However, the disdain toward the developer, the sarcasm toward other posters who comment, and the general arrogant tone of the follow-on posts have me thinking the most appropriate response to this whole thing is either:

a) thanks for your thoughts and opinions, interesting even though I disagree
    b) tough titties

I just am not sure. Probably I'll go with the diplomatic "a)"
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    This "dlc" added some prettier, updated textures (for the most part). That's it, that's the good. It completely butchered everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered.

Your opinion is just that...your opinion. It carries no more nor less weight than anyone else's opinion. I have been playing Morrowind the last couple of weeks and, despite the fact that the mushroom esthetic is not my thing, I have thoroughly enjoyed this zone. Yesterday I completed the quest line that gives a scale model of Vvardenfell as a reward. I love it and have already set it up in my Grand Topol island home. For me, it's the best quest reward yet.

In some respects, Morrowind is quite different from the base ESO game and previous DLCs. As such, it offers increased variety to the game's overall content. Also, it does not copy the previous solo-game version, but is set nearly 1000 years in the past. So it doesn't "butcher" anything, but adds to the lore of the series. I'm not a lore geek, but for those who are, this should open a whole new perspective on the lore.

RE the bold...

A number of khajit would disagree and suggest the ball of yarn from that Morrow quest is even better.

though, to be fair, my Dunmer wants to use clothing skill to craft the ball of yarn into a sweater for trips into Eastmarch. "Why have a mountain that large that gods blighted cold!!!"

I love the ball of yarn. In my Hundings Palatial Hall home I have a cloud leopard kitten hanging out on my bed. I plan to give that kitten the ball of yarn. :)
    Edited by Wolfenbelle on June 6, 2017 4:23PM
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tepav wrote: »
    OP makes some interesting points in his OpEd on this. Interesting to me, because I am not a super Lore freak, nor do I get radically upset if someone produces a game or expac for a game that does not stay "true" to the lore completely. If it is fun and provides some new content and new class (even if not everyone likes the new class) then I am rather happy.

However, the disdain toward the developer, the sarcasm toward other posters who comment, and the general arrogant tone of the follow-on posts have me thinking the most appropriate response to this whole thing is either:

a) thanks for your thoughts and opinions, interesting even though I disagree
    b) tough titties

I just am not sure. Probably I'll go with the diplomatic "a)"

We can agree to disagree as long as it's civil. Please don't be rude and assume my attitude, I've been nothing but respectful and civil towards various replies. If I'm a bit too literal that doesn't make me a bad person.
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm aware of that. If you read any of my replies I made that quite clear. But thank you for pointing out to me that my review is in fact my opinion, that was helpful.

Actually, your original post is most definitely not a review. It is pure complaint. But the continual snark in your responses to several people in this thread tells me one other thing...that you are either a troll or just want to "debate" and shoot down anyone who does not agree with you.
    Edited by Wolfenbelle on June 6, 2017 4:29PM
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, your original post is most definitely not a review. It is pure complaint. But the continual snark in your responses to several people in this thread tell me one other thing...that you are either a troll or just want to "debate" and shoot down anyone who does not agree with you.

I'm sorry you feel that way. As I said, as long as you're civil with me we can have a discussion.
  • Lizzrdd
    Lizzrdd
    ✭✭✭
    I think the points you have brought up OP are valid. Especially about Red Mountain. I mean, and Im not wanting this game to be EXACTLY like TES3 or TES5 just to be clear, even the Dunmer in TES5 are all suspicious and kinda offstanding. And they toned that attitude down several notches from TES3. This has been an inconsistency of this game since launch. The way I look at it is this: This MMO isnt really a TES game. Its an MMO set in the TES universe. This is a great game, dont get me wrong. But keeping that thought about MMO keeps me from getting too upset about the general homogenization that goes on here.
    Play how you want to, not how others tell you to! Live and let Play!
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lizzrdd wrote: »
    I think the points you have brought up OP are valid. Especially about Red Mountain. I mean, and Im not wanting this game to be EXACTLY like TES3 or TES5 just to be clear, even the Dunmer in TES5 are all suspicious and kinda offstanding. And they toned that attitude down several notches from TES3. This has been an inconsistency of this game since launch. The way I look at it is this: This MMO isnt really a TES game. Its an MMO set in the TES universe. This is a great game, dont get me wrong. But keeping that thought about MMO keeps me from getting too upset about the general homogenization that goes on here.

I really like that outlook!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balamoor wrote: »
    Actually Todd is very much behind and happy with the games direction. hate to burst your bubble .

Really. Anything else you would like to share on that subject?

Um. What Tel Galen in the original Morrowind?
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would encourage you to play TES 3 when you have some time, it'll be a way better explanation than my words.

Physically, they are too pretty. Not many have the tattoos, scarring and grit in the voice that is a Dunmer standard. Also, they are cursed with red eyes and red eyes only. Anytime I see otherwise I want to turn the game off immediately.

Culturally, they are so mild! In TES 3 I had to work my butt off to not get shanked. They hated "outsiders", even mainland Dunmer. Dunmer of Vvardenfell should be dour, grim, aggressive and slightly psychotically religious.

Dunmer have not changed at all since release over 3 years ago, and I don't think any of mine look particularly pretty. Certainly not considerably more so than many in TES3.
    1jR6bTY.png

I too regret the lack of more cultural tattoos, not only for Dunmer. But that is feedback from 3 years ago. Luckily, there are at least 2 face tattoos you can get in ESO:Morrowind as quest rewards.
    The Dunmeri voice has been changed ever since Oblivion over a decade ago, so while I miss that distinction as well (especially when Khajiit and Argonians have kept rather distinct voices), that is not new feedback nor anything particular to this DLC.
    Personally I have not noticed any Dunmer with anything but red eyes, but even that has precedent in Skyrim.

I also haven't noticed any substantial differences in their xenophobia, aside from the lack of a proper reputation system that also hasn't been in ESO since release, and was missing in Skyrim as well. NPCs react differently depending on your race in several circumstances, and outlanders are not treated favourably in any instance. Also keep in mind that this is 700 years before TES3, and several centuries before Vvardenfell was declared a temple preserve after the Treaty of the Armistice in 2E896. The population of Vvardenfell went through several centuries of isolation between ESO and TES3.

Being a Morrowind fanboy to an unhealthy degree, I can honestly say the only gripe I have in the visual and thematic representation of Vvardenfell and its lore in this era are grey bonemold armors of the house guards.
    Besides that, the DLC also adds a ton of interesting lore, which I don't want to spoil.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balamoor wrote: »

Really. Anything else you would like to share on that subject?

Um. What Tel Galen in the original Morrowind?

I'm not certain, but I assume he meant Tel Naga.
  • Lizzrdd
    Lizzrdd
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would also like to hear or see some more concrete information about Todd's stance on this game. As evasive that guy is I bet you won't find any.

Play how you want to, not how others tell you to! Live and let Play!
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

I would encourage you to play TES 3 when you have some time, it'll be a way better explanation than my words.

Physically, they are too pretty. Not many have the tattoos, scarring and grit in the voice that is a Dunmer standard. Also, they are cursed with red eyes and red eyes only. Anytime I see otherwise I want to turn the game off immediately.

Dunmer have not changed at all since release over 3 years ago, and I don't think any of mine look particularly pretty. Certainly not considerably more so than many in TES3.
    1jR6bTY.png

I too regret the lack of more cultural tattoos, not only for Dunmer. But that is feedback from 3 years ago. Luckily, there are at least 2 face tattoos you can get in ESO:Morrowind as quest rewards.
    The Dunmeri voice has been changed ever since Oblivion over a decade ago, so while I miss that distinction as well (especially when Khajiit and Argonians have kept rather distinct voices), that is not new feedback nor anything particular to this DLC.
    Personally I have not noticed any Dunmer with anything but red eyes, but even that has precedent in Skyrim.

I also haven't noticed any substantial differences in their xenophobia, aside from the lack of a proper reputation system that also hasn't been in ESO since release, and was missing in Skyrim as well. NPCs react differently depending on your race in several circumstances, and outlanders are not treated favourably in any instance. Also keep in mind that this is 700 years before TES3, and several centuries before Vvardenfell was declared a temple preserve after the Treaty of the Armistice in 2E896. The population of Vvardenfell went through several centuries of isolation between ESO and TES3.

Being a Morrowind fanboy to an unhealthy degree, I can honestly say the only gripe I have in the visual and thematic representation of Vvardenfell and its lore in this era are grey bonemold armors of the house guards.
    Besides that, the DLC also adds a ton of interesting lore, which I don't want to spoil.

Great reply from someone who is knowledgeable on the lore. I concede that your point about the Dunmer becoming more xenophobic after the treaty is quite sound, and I will take that to heart.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, have been following the discussion and like to throw in my thoughts as well. Just for the record: I never played TES Morrowind (I installed it, and started but my eyes just couldn't endure the graphics - sry, it might be amazing and all, but I just could not bear to look at it.). Well, to be fair, I din't play ESO Morrowind either, :D , I really think OT has left too many players in one spot, so I am going to wait before I go there where everyone is atm.

Nevertheless I can relate to OPs issues with "lore". When playing my Khajiit I miss that TES feeling of storekeepers glaring at you, because they know: if you want to ... relocate... their panties you can. And whilst knowing, there is nothing they can do about that. I am stumbled by what ESO made of bosmer... you know the race that has at least 8 different recepies for how to prepare your ham for breakfast (... and yes, literally: your ham). In eso they are these cute little fairy-fellows on a so-said-meat diet.

It feels tamed... smoothed ... meanstreamed to an extend that makes it hard to recognize as a TES inspired game. The "dark side" is a deadric price... the one you send to oblivion at latest when you start your first baby steps as a veteran (level 50). Yes, that is dissapointing, and I am sure not all of it was necessary to make ESO a game loved by the playerbase.

Sorry, if you can't relate to morrowind, yet, give it a try nevertheless... maybe avoid morrowing and travel to alik'r?

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

1jR6bTY.png

Great reply from someone who is knowledgeable on the lore. I concede that your point about the Dunmer becoming more xenophobic after the treaty is quite sound, and I will take that to heart.

Creating a prequel is really not that simple. You want to recreate certain aspects of the lore, atmosphere, aesthetics, etc to hit familiar tones, but it also has to make sense in the development of the history of the world you are (re)creating. Lawrence Schick talked about this several times, for example why they decided to keep Seyda Neen relatively unchanged, or what they did with the Telvanni towers.
    Sadly, this compromise always means someone will be unhappy, either because things changed too much or they didn't change at all. I think ESO has done a good job with this overall, while also making the new additions mostly interesting and enjoyable.

What I want to say is that Schick has earned my trust over the years, it's not merely given away. He's a very knowledgeable guy and I have just as much if not more faith in his dedication to the lore than Todd Howard's.
    Edited by Faulgor on June 6, 2017 5:05PM
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's really disappointing is how many times my game has crashed just standing in Vivec City today since launch.

XBox NA
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    Hmm, have been following the discussion and like to throw in my thoughts as well. Just for the record: I never played TES Morrowind (I installed it, and started but my eyes just couldn't endure the graphics - sry, it might be amazing and all, but I just could not bear to look at it.). Well, to be fair, I din't play ESO Morrowind either, :D , I really think OT has left too many players in one spot, so I am going to wait before I go there where everyone is atm.

Nevertheless I can relate to OPs issues with "lore". When playing my Khajiit I miss that TES feeling of storekeepers glaring at you, because they know: if you want to ... relocate... their panties you can. And whilst knowing, there is nothing they can do about that. I am stumbled by what ESO made of bosmer... you know the race that has at least 8 different recepies for how to prepare your ham for breakfast (... and yes, literally: your ham). In eso they are these cute little fairy-fellows on a so-said-meat diet.

It feels tamed... smoothed ... meanstreamed to an extend that makes it hard to recognize as a TES inspired game. The "dark side" is a deadric price... the one you send to oblivion at latest when you start your first baby steps as a veteran (level 50). Yes, that is dissapointing, and I am sure not all of it was necessary to make ESO a game loved by the playerbase.

Sorry, if you can't relate to morrowind, yet, give it a try nevertheless... maybe avoid morrowing and travel to alik'r?

I don't begrudge you for not being able to sit through TES 3. It is quite dated by now, and I wouldn't actually recommend playing it un-modded to anyone. It was an amazing game for it's time though. I would recommend checking out this graphic update mod http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36945/? it really gives it a modern polish that may make it playable for you. I also like to play it with a combat overhaul mod that transforms combat into something quite similiar to Skyrim.
  • tepav
    tepav
    ✭✭

We can agree to disagree as long as it's civil. Please don't be rude and assume my attitude, I've been nothing but respectful and civil towards various replies. If I'm a bit too literal that doesn't make me a bad person.

I disagree (politely) with this actually, which was my main point. You probably are unaware of how your condescending tone comes across, so you took some offense and consider me rude. I'm pointing out to you that at least for some (or maybe just me) you come across as not very respectful in your replies. Condescending to some, though never outright bold faced rude, sure. It's up to you whether you want to think about this any more, I certainly don't care enough about the topic to go back and cite your various replies. Just ignore me if you disagree, doesn't matter to me. :)
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Don't the races look different in every TES game?

They kinda have to make all the races look appealing in an MMO since the characters are the avatars people use to interact with others.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    morrowind is a bad game. i'm sick of hearing it be treated like some holy relic

you're talking like some precious legacy has been tarnished when there hasn't. it's just an old, outdated and overall awful early 2000's game

i can agree this expansion is dissapointing, but taking personal offence like you seem to be is just embarrassing.

Please, try to use cognitive functions and do tell what you compare TES 3 Morrowind to. If the answer is any later game, especially something younger a decade or more, you are clueless. Morrowind was a revolutionary game at its time, and it made the entire genre move on.
  • JR_Returns
    JR_Returns
    ✭✭✭
    As a DLC this would have been OK, but as a chapter that cost money it isn't.

I bought it because I played the original and I'm fine with that. However next time I won't buy until I know that there is a reasonable amount of content.

Also I'm now reviewing whether paying plus memberships I pay (3 of them) are worth it, as future DLC's are clearly going to have less content than a chapter i.e. Morrowind.

Finally I really dislike invisible walls in games, they destroy immersion. ZOS have excelled with invisible walls in Morrowind, It's almost as if they had an entire department of invisible wall programmers.
    Edited by JR_Returns on June 6, 2017 5:22PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The volcano in question is called "Red Mountain". It is not active, and will not be active from this game's year until TES 3. It is however dormant volcano. Therefore the landscape will not be changing from magma.

Actually, Red Mountain is an active volcano at the time of ESO, and the time of TES III, not a dormant one. I don't know if there is such a thing as a dormant volcano in Tamriel. At the time of ESO, it is actually erupting.
    Clothing does change over time. I'm not arguing that. However the clothing and armor in this dlc that are direct copies from their origins in TES 3 are done very poorly in this dlc, and do not do them justice. I hope you can understand this difference.

Well, textures and representations aside, one of the odd things about Elder Scrolls lore, is how little things change. Thousands of years pass and technology is stagnant. Swords and armor crafted hundreds of years in the past will be virtually indistinguishable, in terms of technological advancements, from stuff crafted later.

On a personal note, I have no love of the old textures that are found in the TES III that BGS released. For me, it is pretty much a mandatory mod to install graphics and texture packs.

It's odd, but probably not for the reason you think it's odd.

Our own history spans hundreds of thousands of years without much change due to various factors, chiefly religion and lack of mobility. The middle ages itself is demarcated by the invention of the stirrup. Yeah, that's right, the world had humans for over a million years and they only added a place to put your feet while on a horse around 2000 years ago...

Epochs in history, like those that occurred under the Mongols, Romans or the Argead, were significant not because of military conquest but because of tolerant rule leading to the proliferation of knowledge. The Silk Road alone is attributed to dissemination of most inventions of the late middle ages, largely products of China. Even the stirrup is a Chinese invention.

The reason the stagnation is odd is that in ESO, you can port across the continent instantly. Guilds like the fighters guild and the mages guild are faction independent and continent wide. Even the merchants are sometimes in common. Theoretically, there would be change and the various regions would be at least somewhat homogeneous as the best ideas became widely adopted. Which is how crafting is implemented.

However, you could attribute stagnation to the Dwemer. With no one knowing why the dwarves disappeared, it wouldn't be a stretch for someone to blame it on technology.