Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Morrowind: A Massive Dissapointment

asuitandtyb14_ESO
asuitandtyb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I came back to ESO for the Morrowind "dlc", and only because it was Morrowind. Morrowind has a special place in my heart; it was the first rpg of it's kind that I had ever played at the time of it's release. It really captivated me, it still does, and I would guess that's true for a lot of other, older folks as well. So the bar has already been set pretty high.

Now I knew that I would have to make some internal compromises to enjoy this "dlc", obviously they wouldn't recreate everything. However, at the end of the day I am paying the same price for this "dlc", that I paid for Morrowind back in 2002, so I was expecting quality. Wow was I wrong.

This "dlc" added some prettier, updated textures (for the most part). That's it, that's the good. It completely butchered everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered. This "dlc" needs to be treated like a Michael Bay movie to be enjoyed; you need to grit your teeth, and turn off that brain. Now if you've never played any TES game (especially Morrowind) and/or do not give any you know whats about the lore or the charm of TES 3: Morrowind, then this may be quite enjoyable- I wouldn't know.

I do not understand how Zenimax is okay selling this product. I wish I knew what Todd Howard does to dull the pain.
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok then thx for sharing ;)
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I have your stuff?

• drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a DLC, it not an expansion...it's a Chapter. Get your "lore" right! :open_mouth:
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heart of Thorns was an expansion. Legion was an expansion. They added substantial content. This is a dlc. Set some standards.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shining part of Morrowind is the exploration and story.

The new trial is content for those who enjoy trials and end game challenges, PvP battlegrounds for those who wanted small scale PvP.

The expansion has a lot of content for people, sure it probably could have been a DLC and priced better but overall the content is spot on what was needed.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qyrk wrote: »
    Can I have your stuff?

The classic joke for quitting threads, but this isn't one those is it. Get to reading.

[edit for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on June 9, 2017 6:48PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played every TES game since Arena, and am loving Morrowind. I've just unpacked the physical collector's edition too, and it's awesome. I just don't get all the negative moans and groans on the forum, but each to his own I guess.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I have your stuff?

It's getting old now...
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Care being more specific? In which way "dunmers got completly butchered", what does that even mean.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mcb123 wrote: »
    Can I have your stuff?

It's getting old now...

So are the neverending whiny complaint-threads ;)
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's worth noting that the events of TESO: Morrowind take place around 800 years before TES3: Morrowind and so there will be differences. Locations change, architecture changes and lore changes.

Sorry you aren't enjoying it, however most of the lore buffs I know have fallen in love with this Chapter and are very happy with it.
  • Delta1038
    Delta1038
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind was my first TES game, played it a ton. Plus I am a super lore nerd for it all. I was beyond excited for Morrowind in ESO and so far it has not disappointed. It is not exactly as I remember, nostalgia and me being a lot younger combined with new technology and in game it is way earlier but it still feels like Morrowind to me. The regions, the people, the whole thing. I am sorry that you are not having a similar experience, I can imagine with fond memories from the past the let down must be pretty crappy. Hopefully though you will find some enjoyment in it, I know I am loving it all.
    Xbox One NA
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I've played every TES game since Arena, and am loving Morrowind. I've just unpacked the physical collector's edition too, and it's awesome. I just don't get all the negative moans and groans on the forum, but each to his own I guess.

I bought it too, which I don't regret. The swag is nice!
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha ha ha.. and it begins.. or has it already begun. Ha ha ha. Sorry, guys, I'm sure Morrowind will still be enjoyable for a lot of folks.
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason they can make Morrowind look and behave so different in ESO compared to TES 3 is that its set some 1000 years before the first game.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanTii.92 wrote: »
    Care being more specific? In which way "dunmers got completly butchered", what does that even mean.

I would encourage you to play TES 3 when you have some time, it'll be a way better explanation than my words.

Physically, they are too pretty. Not many have the tattoos, scarring and grit in the voice that is a Dunmer standard. Also, they are cursed with red eyes and red eyes only. Anytime I see otherwise I want to turn the game off immediately.

Culturally, they are so mild! In TES 3 I had to work my butt off to not get shanked. They hated "outsiders", even mainland Dunmer. Dunmer of Vvardenfell should be dour, grim, aggressive and slightly psychotically religious.
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will people ever realize and accept that solo RPG is solo RPG and MMO is MMO and that we play in a total different time and history frame in ESO ?

I don't think Vvardefell delivers too less content. Actually I am pretty pleased that I don't need weeks for a quest through, if you want to do it with more than one character.

Edited by Flameheart on June 6, 2017 12:11PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a DLC, it not an expansion...it's a Chapter. Get your "lore" right! :open_mouth:

It's an Addon. The most expensive one as of now.
  • MrSaxon
    MrSaxon
    ✭✭✭
    The Warden alone has made this Chapter an instant win for me. It's quickly become my favorite class of the three I've tried (Sorcerer and DK being the other two) and I can't wait to set foot on Vvardenfell (as I'm just making sure I complete the main story first).
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agobi wrote: »
    mcb123 wrote: »
    Can I have your stuff?

It's getting old now...

So are the neverending whiny complaint-threads ;)

It's a review. Deal with it, it's how we make progress and improve.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Ha ha ha.. and it begins.. or has it already begun. Ha ha ha. Sorry, guys, I'm sure Morrowind will still be enjoyable for a lot of folks.

That's absolutely fine. This is just my opinion and my review. It's not right or wrong.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I came back to ESO for the Morrowind "dlc", and only because it was Morrowind. Morrowind has a special place in my heart; it was the first rpg of it's kind that I had ever played at the time of it's release. It really captivated me, it still does, and I would guess that's true for a lot of other, older folks as well. So the bar has already been set pretty high.

Now I knew that I would have to make some internal compromises to enjoy this "dlc", obviously they wouldn't recreate everything. However, at the end of the day I am paying the same price for this "dlc", that I paid for Morrowind back in 2002, so I was expecting quality. Wow was I wrong.

This "dlc" added some prettier, updated textures (for the most part). That's it, that's the good. It completely butchered everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered. This "dlc" needs to be treated like a Michael Bay movie to be enjoyed; you need to grit your teeth, and turn off that brain. Now if you've never played any TES game (especially Morrowind) and/or do not give any you know whats about the lore or the charm of TES 3: Morrowind, then this may be quite enjoyable- I wouldn't know.

I do not understand how Zenimax is okay selling this product. I wish I knew what Todd Howard does to dull the pain.

When you go out of your way to keep doing "dlc" you never should have bought it. With everything that comes with it it's not a "dlc" it's an expansion. Sure some expansions in other games are bigger, there are some smaller. Stop whining about it. It's a good amount of extra content and it was designed well. I enjoy the new delves a lot I hope that is how they go forward instead of just making them essentially a flat circle with some stairs.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrSaxon wrote: »
    The Warden alone has made this Chapter an instant win for me. It's quickly become my favorite class of the three I've tried (Sorcerer and DK being the other two) and I can't wait to set foot on Vvardenfell (as I'm just making sure I complete the main story first).

The warden is very enjoyable.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonzodog01 wrote: »
    The reason they can make Morrowind look and behave so different in ESO compared to TES 3 is that its set some 1000 years before the first game.

I'm sick of that excuse. It's an excuse, that's all. You don't get to use that when they re-created Seyda Neen down to the f'n blades of grass (as if this third Empire town somehow existed in a preserving time bubble). Some things do change over time, others do not. I'm aware of this. I considered this. It is not an excuse unless this Morrowind is part of a vast multiverse.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

Of that, there is absolutely no doubt.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you go out of your way to keep doing "dlc" you never should have bought it. With everything that comes with it it's not a "dlc" it's an expansion. Sure some expansions in other games are bigger, there are some smaller. Stop whining about it. It's a good amount of extra content and it was designed well. I enjoy the new delves a lot I hope that is how they go forward instead of just making them essentially a flat circle with some stairs.

My issue with it is the authenticity to its source, not the value of cash to content. But I'm not going to call a tomato an orange either. To be called an expansion it needs to be an expansion. Bloodmoon was an expansion.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered.

Vague much?

I admit to have not having seen the whole of Morrow yet.

but so far i have not seen butchered Dunmer.

Were they being filleted for a nice thin sliced Dunmer snitzel?
    Were they being ground up for a tasty Dunmer meatloaf?
    Were they being chunked for a hearty Dunmer Chili Con Shroom?

Got recipes?

So far I am enjoying Morrow quite a bit.

The criticism i would give it is that it feels and plays more like Orsinium, Hews, Gold than Auridon, Stonefalls or Glenumbra. The quests are long and involved and often take quite a bit more playtime than say the "early zone" quests do. They often rely on skills noty normally unlocked and developed for starting characters.

The feel is more "advanced content" than "opener content" in almost every way.

Now, for me, that is a good thing. long time player, many advanced characters, full opportunity to take new wardens over to mainland starter zones for leveling.

but for those who are starting new, starting out in this zone is a less "starter friendly" situation than the mainland was.

So, IMO as a starter zone someone plays a new character, perhaps their first one, i do not think this will provide as good a sense of gameplay as it should.

On the other hand, for longer term folks like me, its great.

So, while i feel it lived up to its expectations for me (so far) i do not think it has shown itself to be a good starter zone for new players.

Now, if i do find Dunmer-based recipes... that will be even better.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always thought TES 3 as a game sucked hardcore. Just an alien mess of stupidity and dice roll combat. Morrowind expansion for eso is pretty good though.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered.

Vague much?

I admit to have not having seen the whole of Morrow yet.

but so far i have not seen butchered Dunmer.

Were they being filleted for a nice thin sliced Dunmer snitzel?
    Were they being ground up for a tasty Dunmer meatloaf?
    Were they being chunked for a hearty Dunmer Chili Con Shroom?

Got recipes?

So far I am enjoying Morrow quite a bit.

The criticism i would give it is that it feels and plays more like Orsinium, Hews, Gold than Auridon, Stonefalls or Glenumbra. The quests are long and involved and often take quite a bit more playtime than say the "early zone" quests do. They often rely on skills noty normally unlocked and developed for starting characters.

The feel is more "advanced content" than "opener content" in almost every way.

Now, for me, that is a good thing. long time player, many advanced characters, full opportunity to take new wardens over to mainland starter zones for leveling.

but for those who are starting new, starting out in this zone is a less "starter friendly" situation than the mainland was.

So, IMO as a starter zone someone plays a new character, perhaps their first one, i do not think this will provide as good a sense of gameplay as it should.

On the other hand, for longer term folks like me, its great.

So, while i feel it lived up to its expectations for me (so far) i do not think it has shown itself to be a good starter zone for new players.

Now, if i do find Dunmer-based recipes... that will be even better.

I'm sorry that you could differentiate a figurative verb from a literal one. What it means is that Zenimax did do a good job of respecting the source material.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought TES 3 as a game sucked hardcore. Just an alien mess of stupidity and dice roll combat. Morrowind expansion for eso is pretty good though.

That's fair, that is after all your opinion.