Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Morrowind: A Massive Dissapointment

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanTii.92 wrote: »
    Care being more specific? In which way "dunmers got completly butchered", what does that even mean.
    Yes, the usual complains is that Morrowind has too little content, its too many blocked doors and battleground is broken.
    This is legitimate complains
    The quests and environment has generally gotten good reception.
    And should not the Dummers be the same in the rest of the game, yes other factions and not part of EP but basically the same.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit spent three years wandering around future Morrowind. Wandering from place to place selling home made marmalade.

This could never be that same experience again. Thus khajiit went in with open eyes and no expectations.

So far the journey has been most enjoyable and interesting yes and has actually been very good.

This one was never going to be able to take part in trails or battlefields though so those were off the radar from the start.

More of what we have would of course always have been good. More tombs, more NPC houses - generally more places to loot yes.

But overall khajiit is happy.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Care being more specific? In which way "dunmers got completly butchered", what does that even mean.
    Yes, the usual complains is that Morrowind has too little content, its too many blocked doors and battleground is broken.
    This is legitimate complains
    The quests and environment has generally gotten good reception.
    And should not the Dummers be the same in the rest of the game, yes other factions and not part of EP but basically the same.

I'm not really understanding what your point is in relation to my review.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked it :*
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit spent three years wandering around future Morrowind. Wandering from place to place selling home made marmalade.

This could never be that same experience again. Thus khajiit went in with open eyes and no expectations.

So far the journey has been most enjoyable and interesting yes and has actually been very good.

This one was never going to be able to take part in trails or battlefields though so those were off the radar from the start.

More of what we have would of course always have been good. More tombs, more NPC houses - generally more places to loot yes.

But overall khajiit is happy.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

This one respects your role-playing.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    I liked it :*

That's great! There's nothing wrong with that.
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sure some expansions in other games are bigger, there are some smaller.
    Now you made me curious - which one is smaller? Just don't start with pixel counting pretty please!
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • Krileon
    Krileon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty upset I spent so much on a crappy version of Orisinium, which IMO has better story and more content. The only reason this got labelled an "expansion" is because it included a new class. Morrowind feels empty. There's a lot of land mass, but it's like they forgot to put spawns in a lot of places and just feels empty. In addition to that you've tons and tons of seemingly accessible doors that you alas can not access. It's incomplete. They released it unfinished is the bottom line. With BGs being utterly broken you have an "expansion" that barely functions. It's a huge disappointment.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I feel your pain. It's good to voice your thoughts.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered.

None of which bothers me in the slightest. We're talking about a mere computer game, nothing important.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coggage wrote: »
    ...everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered.

None of which bothers me in the slightest. We're talking about a mere computer game, nothing important.

That's fair, that's your opinion after all. As I wrote before, I think this dlc will be most enjoyable for people who do not care about the lore.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an expansion of ESO. This is a mmorpg. The end.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karivaa wrote: »
    This is an expansion of ESO. This is a mmorpg. The end.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to contribute to the discussion of my review but it's nice to meet you.
  • ConeOfSilence
    ConeOfSilence
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rolling my second toon through it now and I am still bot bored of it.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolling my second toon through it now and I am still bot bored of it.

That's great, glad you're having fun. What's your point though?
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »
    It's worth noting that the events of TESO: Morrowind take place around 800 years before TES3: Morrowind and so there will be differences. Locations change, architecture changes and lore changes.

Sorry you aren't enjoying it, however most of the lore buffs I know have fallen in love with this Chapter and are very happy with it.

I agree the story was excellent I just wish it didn't and so fast....
  • Fleshreaper
    Fleshreaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came back to ESO for the Morrowind "dlc", and only because it was Morrowind. Morrowind has a special place in my heart; it was the first rpg of it's kind that I had ever played at the time of it's release. It really captivated me, it still does, and I would guess that's true for a lot of other, older folks as well. So the bar has already been set pretty high.

Now I knew that I would have to make some internal compromises to enjoy this "dlc", obviously they wouldn't recreate everything. However, at the end of the day I am paying the same price for this "dlc", that I paid for Morrowind back in 2002, so I was expecting quality. Wow was I wrong.

This "dlc" added some prettier, updated textures (for the most part). That's it, that's the good. It completely butchered everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered. This "dlc" needs to be treated like a Michael Bay movie to be enjoyed; you need to grit your teeth, and turn off that brain. Now if you've never played any TES game (especially Morrowind) and/or do not give any you know whats about the lore or the charm of TES 3: Morrowind, then this may be quite enjoyable- I wouldn't know.

I do not understand how Zenimax is okay selling this product. I wish I knew what Todd Howard does to dull the pain.

I guess you don't realize that this version of Morrowind is set like 300 years BEFORE TES III: Morrowind. Of course the structures are going to be different. Of course the landscape is going to be a little different, *** Vvardenfell is an active volcano, for snowflaking out loud. And armor styles, yeah like clothes styles don't change every two weeks.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I came back to ESO for the Morrowind "dlc", and only because it was Morrowind. Morrowind has a special place in my heart; it was the first rpg of it's kind that I had ever played at the time of it's release. It really captivated me, it still does, and I would guess that's true for a lot of other, older folks as well. So the bar has already been set pretty high.

Now I knew that I would have to make some internal compromises to enjoy this "dlc", obviously they wouldn't recreate everything. However, at the end of the day I am paying the same price for this "dlc", that I paid for Morrowind back in 2002, so I was expecting quality. Wow was I wrong.

This "dlc" added some prettier, updated textures (for the most part). That's it, that's the good. It completely butchered everything else. Lore, culture, locations, architecture, outfits and armor, the Dunmer themselves. Absolutely butchered. This "dlc" needs to be treated like a Michael Bay movie to be enjoyed; you need to grit your teeth, and turn off that brain. Now if you've never played any TES game (especially Morrowind) and/or do not give any you know whats about the lore or the charm of TES 3: Morrowind, then this may be quite enjoyable- I wouldn't know.

I do not understand how Zenimax is okay selling this product. I wish I knew what Todd Howard does to dull the pain.

So, you expected a landmass of Vardenfell to be as big as it was in TES III Morrowind. How naive.
  • BleuZephyr
    It's worth noting that the events of TESO: Morrowind take place around 800 years before TES3: Morrowind and so there will be differences. Locations change, architecture changes and lore changes.

Sorry you aren't enjoying it, however most of the lore buffs I know have fallen in love with this Chapter and are very happy with it.

Totally agree with this.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a lore buff, but I am a lore enthusiast who first fell in love with the TES series with TES III. And yeah, overall, I'm enjoying it.

True, there are some things I'm bummed about... the way they handled Telvanni towers, for example, and the fact that you can go into so few of the ruins and houses. But there are other changes I think were positive and added to the lore--e.g., Vivec's personality and the current state of Ald'Ruhn. It's been an interesting dive to see Morrowind realized through more modern gaming, which allow for more complex NPC AI and some actual view distance (I never realized Vivec's palace directly faced Red Mountain!). Just yesterday in the game, I found the platform with the Azura statue on the SE coast, which was a great little treat I'd forgotten about.

It's not perfect, and given that's it's an expansion instead of its own standalone game, it was never going to have as much content as the original. But what's there is generally of good quality, in all the ways that matter (writing, design, overall adherence to the source material, etc.)

Sorry you don't feel the same.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on June 6, 2017 1:27PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you don't realize that this version of Morrowind is set like 300 years BEFORE TES III: Morrowind. Of course the structures are going to be different. Of course the landscape is going to be a little different, *** Vvardenfell is an active volcano, for snowflaking out loud. And armor styles, yeah like clothes styles don't change every two weeks.

You haven't read many of the replies. I have already responded to the points you make, so I'll just leave it to read them at you leisure.

However you wrote some things I have not responded to so I will do so now.

The volcano in question is called "Red Mountain". It is not active, and will not be active from this game's year until TES 3. It is however dormant volcano. Therefore the landscape will not be changing from magma.

Clothing does change over time. I'm not arguing that. However the clothing and armor in this dlc that are direct copies from their origins in TES 3 are done very poorly in this dlc, and do not do them justice. I hope you can understand this difference.

Oh, and let's keep this civil shall we?
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »

So, you expected a landmass of Vardenfell to be as big as it was in TES III Morrowind. How naive.

No, I don't think I said that.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it stunning that you would expect a total 360 from the existing base game (aka ESO) to humour the old game. Of course this would not be grittier, darker in atmosphere nor would the character models be a lot different.

What kind of a break would that be for this product? Call it DLC/Chapter/Expansion - call it what you like, it's still a part of this product. To expect anything else seems unrealistic to me. Not saying that I can't understand the comparison to the original for anyone that feels strongly about it.

I see a lot of love for the original in this product. We might disagree more or less strongly about different aspects (mushroom towers for example), but to say it's not a good product from a quality standpoint (missing arms aside ... lol) is not correct in my opinion.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Keep_Door
    Keep_Door
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can i have your stuff ?
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because Zenimax isn't Bethesda or Todd Howard. Todd has Nothing to do with this project and for good reason. The elder scrolls franchise is Bethesda's baby, ZOS is like step parents that exploit their children for youtube views.

The entire reason Zenimax Media created Zenimax Online Studios was to exploit all the Juicy intellectual property Zenimax owns. Zenimax is just another soul-less Game- Studio-buying conglomerate like EA. They own id software, Arkane studios, BattleCry studios, etc. All they do is sit on IP, and figure out when to exploit it for mass cash or sue other companies to exploit them for max cash like they did with oculus.

If you feel that ZOS is incapable of capturing the heart and soul of Morrowind with this so called "chapter" that is really a DLC, then you are right. It was never designed for that, it was only designed to capture wallets.
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on June 6, 2017 1:57PM
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep_Door wrote: »
    Can i have your stuff ?

So, basically, if you say that you don't really like something in this game it counts as leaving? There is no other option, just love it and play it or gtfo?
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So let me get this straight: you expected it to be the same as Morrowind. I'm pretty sure that its much much earlier than when Morrowind is set. I think that says enough about your "lore" and other stuff. Lore-wise, its mostly very accurate by the way, but you wouldn't want to admit that, would you?
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS is like step parents that exploit their children for youtube views.

I love this!

Edited by The_Lex on June 6, 2017 2:19PM
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭

I would encourage you to play TES 3 when you have some time, it'll be a way better explanation than my words.

Physically, they are too pretty. Not many have the tattoos, scarring and grit in the voice that is a Dunmer standard. Also, they are cursed with red eyes and red eyes only. Anytime I see otherwise I want to turn the game off immediately.

Culturally, they are so mild! In TES 3 I had to work my butt off to not get shanked. They hated "outsiders", even mainland Dunmer. Dunmer of Vvardenfell should be dour, grim, aggressive and slightly psychotically religious.

I feel your pain bro. Orc's got beautified too. A real shame and a far cry from the Skyrim ORCS!
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am totally loving Morrowind. I keep turning off the UI as I'm riding along to enjoy the scenery. Then end up getting completely lost as I have no mini-map.

Love the textures, the sounds, the happenings...

Well worth the money of you ask me. Now if they could just do something like this for Cyrodiil I would be in heaven. Well, nearly.

Edited by Nermy on June 6, 2017 1:43PM
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton