Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Maintenance Every Night

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darcwolf wrote: »
    Gotta love the mindless sheep defending ZOS over this, have any of you every tried Guild Wars 2? Tell me how often their servers go down for maintenance, then also tell me how much money they have compared to ZOS to keep those servers up. This is like defending companies that take days to refund you when companies like Amazon has proven it is possible to provide you a refund and have it hit your bank instantly.

So because some people disagree with the clearly and absolutely inaccurate statements OP makes we are mindless sheep. LMAO. I guess since OP has completely mischaracterized things we can expect others to follow along.

• AdreannaDrea
    AdreannaDrea
    Soul Shriven
    Gotta love the mindless sheep defending ZOS over this, have any of you every tried Guild Wars 2? Tell me how often their servers go down for maintenance, then also tell me how much money they have compared to ZOS to keep those servers up. This is like defending companies that take days to refund you when companies like Amazon has proven it is possible to provide you a refund and have it hit your bank instantly.

I- what?

Look. I love GW2, I do. It's great. It was the first MMO I ever picked up, and I'm the kind of player that heavily dislikes multiplayer. I like grinding quests, selling stuff, and being left alone (for the most part.) I like the type of mmorpg that is basically a single player rpg, but if you want to you can play it with friends without difficulties.

Your analogy is akin to saying "Well, Android can provide great devices for less money than Apple. Why would anyone ever go with Apple?" And the answer is the same - it's a different flavour. Apple devices do things differently to Androids. All the fundamentals are the same - yes, they're still phones/devices/whatever but the coding is different. What the companies place their investments in are different.

GW2 is a great game, nobody's saying it ain't. But it isn't ESO, and to compare them is a slap in the face to both companies, who have different visions, and different methodologies.
  • krismissee82
    krismissee82
    ✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »

That's fine. And I feel it's best to take action.

Making your voice heard is the only way that you can ever have any influence.

This thread is to spread awareness about what's happening

1180804.jpg

I guess I just like the game to work. It's a lot more fun that way.
    Kaelindi - Stamblade
    Maelindi - Magblade
    Lindi - Magblade healer
    Lindi the Builder - Stamblade
    Lindi Stardust - Magplar
    PC NA
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is there maintenance seemingly every night now?

It's unbelievable.

What about the people who play at night time I think there are a lot of us?

Why don't you do it during the day when people are at work or better yet, roll out content that is tested so we don't have to be in this constant state of maintenance.

I barely have any playtime because there is so much maintenance practically every day. And if it isn't maintenance it's a DDoS, or * add in excuse here why the servers are down this time*.

It's just unbelievable. What's the point of spending all this money on a game and expansions if the servers are always down.

@Blanco, every single person on this thread who is scolding you about your question is flat out wrong. I have worked in the information systems field most of my career, going back to the late 1980's. There has always been a difference between production (live) systems and test or mirror systems. Production systems rarely, if ever go down. Updates (maintenance) and changes are coded into the test/mirror systems, then the current production system is seamlessly replaced by the mirror system with zero downtime to the customer or user.

Can you imagine what the modern world we take for granted would be like if production systems for all manner of things had to be taken down once a week or more? Emergency services, police, fire, hospitals, banking, manufacturing, food and product delivery, education, governments, and many, many more enterprises cannot and do not have their live systems go down for maintenance. So why should customers of a game tolerate loss of use for many hours a week, sometimes not just once a week but several times a week.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

hmm is this the 2nd logical person to respond to this thread?

Too many sheep and pacifists more than willing to let ZOS have servers down for as long as they wish. As if the frequency of maintenance in general and especially this week isn't ridiculous. Oh, silly people...

What are you going to do then? If those of us who think "hmm, it's just a game" are happy to leave it at that and are sheep and pacifists, are you raising some sort of army to descend on Zenimax HQ? I think not, you're just some pratt sitting in front of his monitor the same as the rest of us :D
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • GnarlyMcGnasty
    DeadRune wrote: »
    I am at liberty of largely being able to choose my own work hours, but that aside- the percentage of people working "graveyard" must be less than 5% of the work force.

It's not a sizeable demographic.

Dude working 'the graveyard' at 7/11 is not representative of the majority of people.

If you come home at noon, then fine. I guess you've earned some playtime but I can't imagine a sizeable population of ESO are '3rd shift' workers.

You know who else isn't part of a sizeable demographic?

1 ) People who can choose their own work hours
    2 ) People who're playing at 1AM Pacific

You are literally not representative of the majority.

My point is that I believe a maintenance scheduling of 9:00 AM EDT would be better for everyone.

If you don't agree you're free to disagree.

But I just don't think having it at 1:00 AM so many days of the week is appropriate! why !

How does one day a week equate to "so many days a week?"

Normal maintenance is on Mondays, starting at 4 AM Eastern/1 AM Pacific. As far as I know, there's only one Monday per week. It may feel like there's more at times, but I can assure you there is only one.
    Edited by GnarlyMcGnasty on May 24, 2017 12:10PM
  • OverdriveA
    OverdriveA
    Soul Shriven
    Epona222 wrote: »
    You can disagree with it in principle as much as you like, it's the straight up reality that THEY CANNOT DO THEM SEPARATELY - LIVE WITH IT.

They could if they valued player experience more over their own corner cutting policy. Your point is as valid as if the world leaders said 75 years ago that Hit-ler is now going to rule the world, because it's too hard to fight him - live with it.

No, I'm not going to live it it. And others aren't going to live with it either. It's outrageous disregard for customer well being perpetuated by companies like Blizzard, Trion Worlds, Bethesda, and others over the years since large scale games were introduced to the market. Just because how shi**y this is being handled for years now, it doesn't mean it's ok to treat players like garbage all the time. This has to end at some point.
    Edited by OverdriveA on May 24, 2017 12:11PM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's unbelievable.

Why don't you do it during the day when people are at work or better yet, roll out content that is tested so we don't have to be in this constant state of maintenance.

I barely have any playtime because there is so much maintenance practically every day. And if it isn't maintenance it's a DDoS, or * add in excuse here why the servers are down this time*.

It's just unbelievable. What's the point of spending all this money on a game and expansions if the servers are always down.

@Blanco, every single person on this thread who is scolding you about your question is flat out wrong. I have worked in the information systems field most of my career, going back to the late 1980's. There has always been a difference between production (live) systems and test or mirror systems. Production systems rarely, if ever go down. Updates (maintenance) and changes are coded into the test/mirror systems, then the current production system is seamlessly replaced by the mirror system with zero downtime to the customer or user.

Can you imagine what the modern world we take for granted would be like if production systems for all manner of things had to be taken down once a week or more? Emergency services, police, fire, hospitals, banking, manufacturing, food and product delivery, education, governments, and many, many more enterprises cannot and do not have their live systems go down for maintenance. So why should customers of a game tolerate loss of use for many hours a week, sometimes not just once a week but several times a week.

I know they're wrong, but people can believe whatever they want- I will continue to believe the truth and they can continue to do whatever they want to do.

I am opposed to the frequency of server 'maintenance', content being rolled out functioning incorrectly, and various other issues in the game and I will continue doing so until the problems are addressed.

Your post is very enlightening. I had not thought about it from that angle and I must say, I agree with you 100%.
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭

It's unbelievable.

@Blanco, every single person on this thread who is scolding you about your question is flat out wrong.
    I disagree with that viewpoint. It is not wrong to point out that contrary to the original claim, maintenance is not every night. And it is not wrong to point out that 3-6am pacific is actually less populated than 6-9am pacific.

I would love if ZOS implemented seamless patching ala GW2, but it doesn't change the fact that having 3 periods of maintenance in a fortnight is not "every night".
    Edited by Seri on May 24, 2017 12:20PM
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

hmm is this the 2nd logical person to respond to this thread?

Too many sheep and pacifists more than willing to let ZOS have servers down for as long as they wish. As if the frequency of maintenance in general and especially this week isn't ridiculous. Oh, silly people...

I believe you're confusing the definition of word "logical" here.

Definition of logical
    a (1) : of, relating to, involving, or being in accordance with logic a logical conclusion (2) : skilled in logic
    b : formally true or valid : analytic, deductive a logical statement
    : capable of reasoning or of using reason in an orderly cogent fashion a logical thinker

Note that none of these definitions say "a person whose opinion is the same as yours". If anything, most of the people who opposed you in this thread fit under this definition of "logical"(see part 2 - "capable of reasoning") ...while you don't :p
    Edited by Magdalina on May 24, 2017 12:35PM
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Panomania wrote: »
    Reverb wrote: »
    I've decided that OP is a troll, here to entertain us all during the maintenance.

Damn! That makes a lot of sense. Ya got me, Blanco! I fell for it!

Well played, sir.

There's no troll here, just someone who opposes the frequency of server downtime for perfectly valid reasons.

For you. Nobody else cares about you and your preferences.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seri wrote: »

It's unbelievable.

@Blanco, every single person on this thread who is scolding you about your question is flat out wrong.
    I disagree with that viewpoint. It is not wrong to point out that contrary to the original claim, maintenance is not every night. And it is not wrong to point out that 3-6am pacific is actually less populated than 6-9am pacific.

I would love if ZOS implemented seamless patching ala GW2, but it doesn't change the fact that having 3 periods of maintenance in a week is not "every night".

3 days of maintenance a week is an outrage and completely unacceptable.

2 and frankly even 1 is still an outrage.

Hence this thread.

There was a little hyperbole used but hyperbole can be an effective tool in getting your point across.

2 days a week is far, far too much. I am glad that others are agreeing with me.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OverdriveA wrote: »
    You can disagree with it in principle as much as you like, it's the straight up reality that THEY CANNOT DO THEM SEPARATELY - LIVE WITH IT.

They could if they valued player experience more over their own corner cutting policy. Your point is as valid as if the world leaders said 75 years ago that Hit-ler is now going to rule the world, because it's too hard to fight him - live with it.

No, I'm not going to live it it. And others aren't going to live with it either. It's outrageous disregard for customer well being perpetuated by companies like Blizzard, Trion Worlds, Bethesda, and others over the years since large scale games were introduced to the market. Just because how shi**y this is being handled for years now, it doesn't mean it's ok to treat players like garbage all the time. This has to end at some point.

Zenimax used to do it - they used to do different maintenance times, up until about a year ago - so don't be bringing this it's been handled this way for years, because I can tell you that's a straight up lie. If you'd been here for years, you'd know that full well, you're just looking for an argument - complete fail, sorry. Because I played on 2 servers, I had to have 2 separate installs and patch each one individually, download each update individually. They merged them into one client, and now the patches have to be deployed at the same time, unless you really want the EU servers to not recognise the game version for 12 hours until they have maintenance - I am not sure how many more ways I can explain it to you.

Oh and by the way, likening this to the events that preceded WW2, and comparing me to a genocidal maniac is not going to win you any favours with me, I lost relatives, you are talking about a couple of hours of being bored without a game - what the serious you know what is wrong with you?
    Edited by Epona222 on May 24, 2017 12:20PM

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my point is please change it to during the day when people are at work

Judging by the number of AD and DC in Cyrodiil Scourge on PS4 during the day people don't work. ;)
  • GnarlyMcGnasty

There's no troll here, just someone who opposes the frequency of server downtime for perfectly valid reasons.

Maybe they can have server downtime for completely invalid reasons to compensate for some of those perfectly valid reasons.
  • malchior
    malchior
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course they should, he didn't say that. Main advertised content like battlegrounds should be fixed before releasing to a lot of people for early acess, that's what the PTS is for.
    Yes, of course they shouldn't fix battlegrounds so that stuff in the advertised content can be played as intended! They should keep everything online because it was your exact 3 hour slot that you had this week to play the game, everyone else struggling with a broken game can just do one while you skip through the ashlands.

It's not every night, it was Monday morning and Wednesday morning, there was no maintenance yesterday.

Edited by malchior on May 24, 2017 12:21PM
  • SamboJ
    SamboJ
    ✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    my point is please change it to during the day when people are at work

Sure, can you just show me on the map which place you are talking about where 'during the day' wouldn't effect another area's primetime.

Time_Zones_of_the_World_Large.JPG

I feel for everybody, especially the Aussies. The whole east coast of the country (~80% of its population) has eso maintenance usually starting between 6pm & 8pm, which for people who work all day means they may as well forget about playing at all on Monday..... & now Wednesday too.

If there's going to be more maintenance than usual, making the 2nd weekly maintenance at the opposite time of the day would be a lot fairer for everybody.
    "Chasing elder scrolls since 2002."
    Founder of Tamriel Fisheries (PC/NA/2015)
  • Sikthlight08xz
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I've decided that OP is a troll, here to entertain us all during the maintenance.

Not a "troll", more of an Orc of the old way - a very stubborn one I would say. :smiley:
  • AdreannaDrea
    AdreannaDrea
    Soul Shriven

This is an interesting point, and I'll answer it in two parts.

Part 1: You are equating business models of every single company, whether privately or publicly owned to be all worth the same. That is, the exact running of a hospital and it's staff should impact someone just as much as a server and a game going down. One for one, exact same circumstances. If a hospital stops running for a day, people may die. People may not get the treatment they need desperately. Let's go through all the rest of your examples, just because I'm somewhat bored.

If a fire station is down for a day: Peoples houses may burn down, lives may be lost.
    If a Police station is down for a day: Criminals may run riot, murder sprees, thievery, etc. Severe detriment to the living environment, I'm sure you'll agree.

Banks: Now - this is amusing, because over here in the UK, banks aren't open 24/7. In fact, banks have 'Bank Holidays' every so often, where they're not even open on a monday. We have one next Monday. They're great. Anyhow - Banks: if banks are down for a day, then cheques may not be cleared, money may not go through for bills, you may, in some really severe way potentially lose assets or business deals or whatever.

Manufacturing - I'm assuming you mean production factories here, like, making ... things. Food and stuff. If one of these goes down, then yes, you may have a shortage of food in the area, economy pricing may go up. I doubt it, but hey, we're looking at extremes here.

Education: Again, they're down for like, six weeks in the summer over here. It's no big deal.

Governments? Potential riots I suppose. Panic. Effects lots of people. Traffic might be diverted weirdly, or whatever the local governments do.

Now if a game goes down for a day, what happens? Widespread panic? Death? Riots and starvation?

Part 2: "many more enterprises cannot and do not have their live systems go down for maintenance"
    I assure you they do. Most of the systems you've described are things that can run without internet maintenance. Whilst really quite helpful - i.e: a police scanner being able to tell co-workers where a suspect is headed, or, a database in a hospital where patient records are stored - they are not the 'entire' premise of the product being sold.

That is to say; these 'products' or systems, are not wholly internet based, as this game is. Therefore, maintenance on police scanners for three hours is a bit annoying, but they can use mobiles. Whereas maintenance on an online game, is actually basically all it does. It doesn't offer offline play, it doesn't even offer real world things. It is an internet based product, not a real world based one.

• Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭

It's unbelievable.

I would love if ZOS implemented seamless patching ala GW2, but it doesn't change the fact that having 3 periods of maintenance in a week is not "every night".

Hence this thread.

There was a little hyperbole used but hyperbole can be an effective tool in getting your point across.

Sorry, I mistyped. That should have been 2-weeks since I didn't want to go back looking at Discord for maint announcements.

For May we have maintenance today (24th), last Monday (22nd), then also the 15th and 8th (no maint 1st). That makes 4 times in May. In April it was the 3rd, 19th and 24th only. That is _not_ 'every night'. A little hyperbole, maybe, but I think you would have had a LOT better response if you hadn't claimed every day or night as 4 times a month is nowhere near that.
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • GabiPavel
    GabiPavel

It's unbelievable.

Hence this thread.

I feel you man! What annoys me the most is how many HOURS/DAY they do it. I wouldn't mind if it was 1-2 hours/day honestly, but when you keep the server down for so long, it's just unacceptable. I'm a paying ESO+ since i started playing and I never got any compensation for the time they took out of my sub.
    For today, they said 3 hours. I wouldn't bet my money on that. Expect more, as usual.
  • OverdriveA
    OverdriveA
    Soul Shriven

Zenimax used to do it - they used to do different maintenance times, up until about a year ago - so don't be bringing this it's been handled this way for years, because I can tell you that's a straight up lie. If you'd been here for years, you'd know that full well, you're just looking for an argument - complete fail, sorry. Because I played on 2 servers, I had to have 2 separate installs and patch each one individually, download each update individually. They merged them into one client, and now the patches have to be deployed at the same time, unless you really want the EU servers to not recognise the game version for 12 hours until they have maintenance - I am not sure how many more ways I can explain it to you.

Oh and by the way, likening this to the events that preceded WW2 is not going to win you any favours with me, I lost relatives, you are talking about a couple of hours of being bored without a game - what the serious you know what is wrong with you?

First of all, I'm talking about MMO's in general. Using paying customers as testers became a rule for the industry not an exception. So no, that's not a lie. That's the reality.

I wasn't here a year ago, the game was unplayable for 2 years since the start. They've finally brought it to a point where it's passable, but the blew the maintenance part. Is it possible for you to realize that there is a 3rd option actually? That's not a choice between having to wait for 12 hours to play, or having a few maintenances a week. It's a choice between doing it in a way to does not interrupt paying customers from using the product they bought AT ALL, and doing it the way they do now.

Also, please be informed that I'm not trying to win favours with you. I don't care about you if you have to know. I think that it's hard to find anyone who didn't lose relatives during the IIWW. The point being even if it's hard, you have to do it, because it's right. In comparison to not doing it right, which is what we have right now. It's not a matter of few hours here and there. It's a matter of industry standards and client approach in general.
    Edited by OverdriveA on May 24, 2017 12:29PM
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, OP, but you're not the most important 'special snowflake' you seem to think you are, where everything revolves around you. What is an inconvenient time for some, is a great time for others. No matter when maintenance is done, it's going to cut into someone's gaming time.

Are you so devoid of imagination or other hobbies that you can't find something else to do while you wait?

Beyond your own nose is a whole planet out there.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's unbelievable.

I know they're wrong, but people can believe whatever they want- I will continue to believe the truth and they can continue to do whatever they want to do.

I am opposed to the frequency of server 'maintenance', content being rolled out functioning incorrectly, and various other issues in the game and I will continue doing so until the problems are addressed.

Your post is very enlightening. I had not thought about it from that angle and I must say, I agree with you 100%.

I am glad you see that information systems require attention. I too have worked in the IT industry for many years, my entire career, and it always boggles my mind that end-users see this stuff as "magic". They do not understand that these systems are much like an automobile - they require regular maintenance. If you don't change your car's oil, it will eventually seize up and the engine won't start.

Unfortunately, the schedule at which time these systems are updated may not align with your gaming time or preference. It has to happen sometime that will be inconvenient to someone. Even if they created servers for all of the time zones in the world...someone would be impacted - these games are played 24/7. It is just part of the online gaming experience.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's fine. And I feel it's best to take action.

Making your voice heard is the only way that you can ever have any influence.

This thread is to spread awareness about what's happening

1180804.jpg

I guess I just like the game to work. It's a lot more fun that way.

This. My guess is OP only gets upset with the occasional maintenance when it is not fixing something that impacts him directly. I do find humor in his extremely incorrect "maintenance every night" title since even he has to know it is not even close to that.
  • OverdriveA
    OverdriveA
    Soul Shriven
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    Sorry, OP, but you're not the most important 'special snowflake' you seem to think you are, where everything revolves around you. What is an inconvenient time for some, is a great time for others. No matter when maintenance is done, it's going to cut into someone's gaming time.

Are you so devoid of imagination or other hobbies that you can't find something else to do while you wait?

Beyond your own nose is a whole planet out there.

You do realize that every single person perception is flawed by the relativity of their own being? Which means that for every single person the world does in fact evolve around them and their own perception is the most important one. Just like for you, being the most important one is important. ;)
  • Ulfgarde
    Ulfgarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the community asks ZOS to fix their game and the bugs (BGs not working), but complains again when you try to fix them.

Clint-Eastwood-disgust.gif

Edited by Ulfgarde on May 24, 2017 12:35PM
    Very athletic eso player
    PC EU
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh and by the way, likening this to the events that preceded WW2 is not going to win you any favours with me, I lost relatives, you are talking about a couple of hours of being bored without a game - what the serious you know what is wrong with you?

First of all, I'm talking about MMO's in general. Using paying customers as testers became a rule for the industry not an exception. So no, that's not a lie. That's the reality.

I wasn't here a year ago, the game was unplayable for 2 years since the start. They've finally brought it to a point where it's passable, but the blew the maintenance part. Is it possible for you to realize that there is a 3rd option actually? That's not a choice between having to wait for 12 hours to play, or having a few maintenances a week. It's a choice between doing it in a way to does not interrupt paying customers from using the product they bought AT ALL, and doing it the way they do now.

Also, please be informed that I'm not trying to win favours with you. I don't care about you if you have to know. I think that it's hard to find anyone who didn't lose relatives during the IIWW. The point being even if it's hard, you have to do it, because it's right. In comparison to not doing it right, which is what we have right now. It's not a matter of few hours here and there. It's a matter of industry standards and client approach in general.

Sorry, I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now I know you are trolling. The game was not unplayable for 2 years, because I and many others have been playing it during that time. I can assure you I have not been wandering around Tamriel alone. For most of that 2 years I've been running a moderately successful trading guild and playing with friends and guildmates the entire time.

You say it has been unplayable, but that is not an absolute fact, and is contradicted by my own experience of the game.

If you have come back after these allegedly unplayable years (during which myself and many others have been enjoying ourselves) and then you start moaning how it isn't up to your standard yet... then I quite happily say to you, sling your incredibly critical hook, and go elsewhere. You don't seem to want to be here, and we don't need you. So go.

This discussion has been closed.