Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So.. What's the general feeling on the Morrowind Announcement?

• Jimbullbee85
    Jimbullbee85
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a subscriber and I'm on the fence
    Less happy after reading the road ahead. Yearly paid expansions sound... excessive, but I'll probably end up buying them anyway (probably in the collectors edition too).

My thought is that if I drop ESO Plus, the Collector's Edition sounds like a good deal. So, while I am happy for Morrowind, it is pretty close to the only thing coming in 2017 that I am interested in.

I am looking for any change in direction from them between now and when my subscription runs out to see if there is any reason at all to keep it going. If they stay the course, like I expect them to do, I really can't see any reason to subscribe for the entire year. The first 9 months are an ESO Plus dead zone: Homestead, Morrowind, Dungeon Pack.

Exactly! The crafting bag (apart from being able to dye costumes)is the only relevant incentive to sub. The crafting bag... allows me to store mats to craft for other players. Not me because I can find room for my own needs with ingame gold. It's more of a status thing which unfortunately for subs is decreasing every patch. How many players that have played for 2-4 -years need 10% xp or gold or anything but more content?
    Edited by Jimbullbee85 on February 1, 2017 9:38PM
    Jimbullbee, Templar healer battlemage
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a subscriber and I'm happy
    I and my wife both subscribe on our ESO accounts, and we've already pre-ordered our digital copies/upgrades for ESO: Morrowind.

Now, I'm not going to delve into the huge argument about whether subscriber should get this Expansion for free or not. It's pretty clear from the amount of content that's going to be in Morrowind, that this is far more than the DLC we've received so far.

Indeed, if Firor and Pete were serious when they claimed that they pretty much took ES3 Morrowind base-game, scaled it to ESO dimensions, then stuck it into the ESO game world; then this will truly be an Expansion as it will be like buying an entirely new game within another game.That in itself is worth $40 for me.

But it seems pretty damn clear, by looking at the amount of content in say... Orsinuim/Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood, then comparing that to what they claim is going to be in Morrowind; it should be obvious what the difference is between a DLC and an Expansion.

Why all of the sudden are we NOW questioning and splitting hairs about the (very obvious) differences between a DLC and an Expansion? Oh, I know why; because people want every damn thing for free.

***... I got dragged into the argument... I digress.

As I said at the top of this post, my wife and I both sub on our accounts. We get all of the DLC for free, but we still spend our Crowns to actually purchase the DLC, because who knows what minor calamity might cause us to have to cancel our subs, and we'd still love to be able to play that DLC content.

But we've also been playing MMO's for decades. We're used to getting free DLC, but having to pay for Expansions, even in subscription-model MMORPG's. It's the nature of the beast. Companies don't mind giving out free smaller DLC packs, but the more content there is, the more it costs to create.

So getting the smaller DLC for free, but having to pay for (what is obviously) a much larger, content-rich Expansion, that strikes us as quite reasonable.

So yeah; I sub two accounts, I still buy every DLC "just in case" for two accounts, and I have no problem buying two digital upgrades for Morrowind.

It's well worth it, and normal, IMO.

The difference between a dlc and an expansion is based on their track record IMO. If you add thieves guild to dark Brotherhood theres not much difference in size to Orsinium when you combine the two. Then there is the petty excuse of shadows of the hist after that. Is there no justification to be worried about how much content we'll recieve from the Morrowind expantion when you consider ZOS's track record on recent dlc content and their complete disregardence to subs since the crafting bag?
    Or, you could re-read what I wrote, and realize that the amount of content they claim is in Morrowind would roughly equal Orsinium + TG + DB, and still have more content after that.

That's a good definition of an Expansion to me vs. what a regular DLC would be.

Sorry mate I do understand your perspetive and I respect it. I love the game, you love the game and despite our differences we are both trying to keep the game alive :)
    Hey, there's some common ground we agree on! :D

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    Chadak wrote: »
    I can understand why some aren't impressed at all by this DLC being called an expansion and thus put behind an additional paywall, but I also have perspective.

They gotta make money. I'd much prefer them charge for a proper expansion's array of content rather than push harder on the cash shop but give the expansion away at no extra charge.

They have to make money somewhere.

If only 10% of users sub, zos is making around $10 million/month. Do you really think only 10% sub for the crafting bad? It seems higher than that based on forum polls and group chat. How much does it cost to run this game? I have no experience here. Maybe it does cost more than 120 million a year, but I find that unlikely. Would you change your answer if you knew that zos was laughing all the way to the bank?

One developer alone can make around $75K a year.

PMs make around 100K a year.

Management makes over 100K a year.

Than you have shareholder who want their investment returned to them in the form of cash each quarter.

You also have all other departments like HR, technology (those who support the apps), hardware to maintain the game, etc...

If Zos makes say $200 million a year just in sub, I bet about 99% of that is not profit, it is what keeps the lights on for the game.

Just my two cents on this whole topic when players assume things that are far from the reality.

• lordhakai
    lordhakai
    ✭✭✭
    I am so happy I have been around since and I feel it was needed to allow eso to grow and thrive.
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a subscriber and I'm not happy
    lordhakao wrote: »
    I am so happy I have been around since and I feel it was needed to allow eso to grow and thrive.

Edited by ol_BANK_lo on February 1, 2017 10:14PM
  • ol_BANK_lo
    ol_BANK_lo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand why some aren't impressed at all by this DLC being called an expansion and thus put behind an additional paywall, but I also have perspective.

They gotta make money. I'd much prefer them charge for a proper expansion's array of content rather than push harder on the cash shop but give the expansion away at no extra charge.

If only 10% of users sub, zos is making around $10 million/month. Do you really think only 10% sub for the crafting bad? It seems higher than that based on forum polls and group chat. How much does it cost to run this game? I have no experience here. Maybe it does cost more than 120 million a year, but I find that unlikely. Would you change your answer if you knew that zos was laughing all the way to the bank?

Than you have shareholder who want their investment returned to them in the form of cash each quarter.

You also have all other departments like HR, technology (those who support the apps), hardware to maintain the game, etc...

If Zos makes say $200 million a year just in sub, I bet about 99% of that is not profit, it is what keeps the lights on for the game.

Just my two cents on this whole topic when players assume things that are far from the reality.

How much they make is irrelevant to the end user. The user wants value for their money. And there is understandable debate as to the value of Morrowind to sub and non-subs. That said, you are pulling numbers out of your ass, and not sure why. You have no idea what people there make, nor should it matter. On top of that, if they were running at a 1% net operating profit margin, they would be doing terribly. But again, I don't care if they make $1M or $500M a year. I just want my value. If they net $100M a year and have a 20% profit margin. Good for them.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am subscriber and I do not care. I've already bought the expansion and braced myself in waiting for it.
    Am I happy? No. I would be happy if we will have Morrowind instead of Homestead next week.
    6th June... too long.
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a subscriber and I'm happy
    small.gif
  • Aaru
    Aaru
    ✭✭
    The expansion is meant to be bigger than Wrothgar, and as a player that first cut her teeth in Elder Scrolls in Morrowind, I am happy to pay for it if it has a good amount of new content.
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    need more people to vote lol
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't mind paying for a huge update if it's worth it...Which it seems it will be. Besides, that figure's gonna look sick on my DVD shelf
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Phatmattfu
    Phatmattfu
    ✭✭✭
    I might unsubscribe when I get all the dlc bought, but I am freaking pumped for the expansion! Warden Wut Wut!
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Your numbers work out to 666,000 subscritions per month at $15 / month in order to get the $10,000,000 you stated. If that is only 10% of the population in the game, then you believe the game has 6.6 million players?

I think you need to rethink your numbers.
    @danno8
    Frior has said 7 million players. If the math is wrong, it's because he misinformed us. Redo your calculations with this new info. I actually used monthly sub of $14 since there is a range of sub options. Satisfied?

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/12/22/thats-a-wrap-on-2016
    We also had a great E3 where the world sat up and took notice of our success, especially our announcement of over 7 million players as well as the exuberance of our fans. In addition, we attended many other shows and events over the course of the year to talk to the community, listen, and let everyone know about ESO's accomplishments. It's only going to get better.
    Edited by Ourorboros on February 2, 2017 8:40PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a subscriber and I'm on the fence
    Not sure I agree with any of the options:

I'm absolutely blown away by the content announcement.

As for the changes to the value of subscriptions (retroactive, since there was no Q4 2016 paid DLC), I'm feeling like ZOS thinks I'm a complete sucker.

I don't really feel like any of your options really capture that for me.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • ookami007
    ookami007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I'm going to give you all the free green jelly beans you want for $1 a month. Then, a year later, I start making some of my green jelly beans with red flecks and insist that no, those are really green jelly beans, those are green jelly artichokes and you must pay for them.

I know they are green beans. You know they are green jelly beans. But you still charge me for them.

That's basically the way I feel about this "expansion". Unless this "expansion" is 4x the size of Orsinium, it's not worth basically the price of a full version of the game. ESO Gold - with all expansions except the lame one - $59.99, Morrowind (1 zone, 1 class, hardly anything else) - $59.99

A new class? That's TOTALLY DLC material. Whether Subs get it or not, it should be a DLC option to purchase.

Will I buy it, probably. Will I EVER call it an "expansion"? No. I like to call things what they are ... Morrowind is a DLC. And Chapters is B.S.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭

tell me precious...... what is a crafting bad?

Its the little known sequel to Breaking Bad...
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How much they make is irrelevant to the end user. The user wants value for their money. And there is understandable debate as to the value of Morrowind to sub and non-subs. That said, you are pulling numbers out of your ass, and not sure why. You have no idea what people there make, nor should it matter. On top of that, if they were running at a 1% net operating profit margin, they would be doing terribly. But again, I don't care if they make $1M or $500M a year. I just want my value. If they net $100M a year and have a 20% profit margin. Good for them.

Well... it is relevant to this end user... since if they don't make money, then there is no game...
  • GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to be cancelling my sub, mostly because I see no use for it anymore. But I'm excited for Morrowind.
  • Concenaros
    Concenaros
    ✭✭✭
    Hype. I'm so excited for this new experience.

I've seen no reason to sub as of now, but maybe that'll change once Morrowind comes around. I've just been purchasing content as I want it. So really the Morrowind announce was just the thing I needed to see to get me 100% invested in ESO and make me ignore all other MMOs on the market currently.
    "What is your purpose here, Arisen? If you sought to live you had naught but run and hide yourself away. But then, tell me, child of man... what does it mean to live in truth? To wage war against the passing days? To pray to the unseen for a few breaths more? To raise grand cities from stone, and spawn new life in turn? Mankind has done this, yes, and more. But is the tapestry you weave truly of your own design?"
    Rhylarr - Lvl 30 - XBOX ONE - Aldmeri Dominion
    Flowki Engarson - Lvl 22 - XBOX ONE - Daggerfall Convenant
    Concenaros - Lvl 24 - XBOX ONE - Ebonheart Pact
    Targoth Gro'Urgash - Lvl 8 - XBOX ONE - Dagerfall Covenant
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a subscriber and I'm on the fence
    The only surprise was ESO plus having to pay for it.

Reason I'm on the fence - happy about warden but it's less than we were promised (i.e. spellcrafting) and I went ahead and did my best to make nature themed characters with what was available.

Don't want to have to delete them. Don't want to start the horse grind from scratch. Don't want to pay a fortune to change their classes if they do add a crown store class change option.

Levelling to 50 is trivial but the damn BLEEP'ing horse grind is not. It's one of the most annoying features of any MMO I've ever played and that's most of them.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's Morrowind :smiley: and I get an awesome golem to put on my desk.. How can I not be happy :smiley:
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your numbers work out to 666,000 subscritions per month at $15 / month in order to get the $10,000,000 you stated. If that is only 10% of the population in the game, then you believe the game has 6.6 million players?

@danno8
    Frior has said 7 million players. If the math is wrong, it's because he misinformed us. Redo your calculations with this new info. I actually used monthly sub of $14 since there is a range of sub options. Satisfied?

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/12/22/thats-a-wrap-on-2016
    We also had a great E3 where the world sat up and took notice of our success, especially our announcement of over 7 million players as well as the exuberance of our fans. In addition, we attended many other shows and events over the course of the year to talk to the community, listen, and let everyone know about ESO's accomplishments. It's only going to get better.

Matt Firor also said this back BEFORE One Tamriel launched, and from what I've seen in-game, it has grown a LOT since OT. The announcement of 7M players was at E3 in June 2016, so yes, it is definitely possible millions more players were added aft OT was released, especially with all the hype and high approval after launch.
    Edited by ADarklore on February 2, 2017 9:56PM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • willlienellson
    willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The general feel is positive.

The general trend on the forums is, "The seven of us that are angry are going to post a million times!!!!"
  • jarydf
    jarydf
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could have avoided most of the grief by making it purchasable with crowns.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@danno8

@Ourorboros
    "...since launch...we have had seven million people acquire the game, create accounts and play." -Firor. That includes everyone who no longer plays the game also. Not current player base.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/06/12/matt-firors-message-from-be3
    Edited by danno8 on February 2, 2017 10:44PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

@danno8

Matt Firor also said this back BEFORE One Tamriel launched, and from what I've seen in-game, it has grown a LOT since OT. The announcement of 7M players was at E3 in June 2016, so yes, it is definitely possible millions more players were added aft OT was released, especially with all the hype and high approval after launch.

Does it seem like the population tripled or so after 1T launched? There is an obvious explanation for that.

Look, I love the game and am very happy it is doing well, but let's just agree the 7 million figure was a cherry picked number. Even if the number was currently 2 million active accounts (logged in the last 30 days), that would require them to admit that 72% of the players who have played the game have left.
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am happy to see an expantion.

But I am not going to pre order it.
    Edited by theher0not on February 3, 2017 12:10PM
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not unexpected. Uh...That's about the nicest thing I can say
    (is a firm hater of TES:3 cus its morroverrated af)

New stuff is nice though

Wait lmao it isn't even new stuff
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • GDOFWR420
    GDOFWR420
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind looks like it's gonna be one of the best expansions so far. Can't wait
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They have to fix base game which was already payed for