Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.2.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

lighting in houses needs to be fixed before Homestead goes live!

Elara_Northwind
Elara_Northwind
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Before the last patch, lighting was fine (well, ok... Maybe not fine, in some houses it took up 1/3 of the item slots, but it was better than it is now!) now, it is so bad, that I would even consider not buying a house as it is now, its THAT BAD. When I say that it is almost like being in CoS, I am not kidding! Skip to 4:24 of this video, and you will see exactly what I mean, its ridiculous! And it was bright daylight outside here too! I have SO MANY lights in this house, and yet unless I am within a couple of steps from them, they might as well not even be there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2aMQkWtS3c

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make these changes to lighting, well... It wasn't! Please don't let lighting in its current state on pts go live, its dreadful, really really bad, and it really needs fixing.
Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    yeah-it's horrible. i made the request for it to be fixed in the patch notes where they said they did it to improve performance. they need to let us choose this or not for ourselves because it makes the houses so gloomy they look like caves. the lights just look like little dots in the dark. On another thread it was pointed out that the breton chandelier is helpful but when placed on the lower floors-their chains go through the top floor living area. Plus i doubt we all want to be obligated to use those. it's a no win as it currently stands :/
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has to be the most consistently requested fix that I've yet to hear even acknowledged. :-(
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It makes absolutely zero sense for this NOT to be of utmost importance on their list of priorities of things to fix, seeing as this is the HOUSING update, and lighting is one of, if not THE, most important aspect in setting any sort of 'mood' inside a space. Some might be into the whole dark and gloomy look, but I highly doubt the majority are. Most people want a nice cosy home, and that is pretty much impossible to achieve with the way lighting is in its current state.

Many people, including myself, are concerned about whats going to happen with the lighting when this update goes live, and with so many threads regarding this and no response to any of them from Zenimax, I wonder whether its even being looked into...

• ixie
    ixie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is they're testing things to see if they can improve performance with a view to perhaps increasing the amount of visitors allowed, maybe even furnishings allowed. They will likely change it back as the results are undesirable.
    PC EU

Ixie - Breton Nightblade
    Paints-With-Frogs - Argonian Nightblade
    Swee Troll - Crafter Dragonknight
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they change it back. I wont buy a house if its going to be dark like that.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is wierd! If the house is going to be dark like that, I have to change my plans for smallest inn room possible, so it can fit in the light circle.

Why is this a problem in player houses, but not in other buildings o_O

Were they hoping to increase the visitor cap, which is also greatly asked? But still, no point inviting guildies to check your house, when they cannot see to other end of the room.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That is wierd! If the house is going to be dark like that, I have to change my plans for smallest inn room possible, so it can fit in the light circle.

Why is this a problem in player houses, but not in other buildings o_O

Were they hoping to increase the visitor cap, which is also greatly asked? But still, no point inviting guildies to check your house, when they cannot see to other end of the room.

It's horrendous :neutral: And like you said, its not like this in other buildings around the world, so I don't understand why, whatever the visitor cap, the lighting can't be normal in houses... It's not like the lighting suddenly goes all mental in Belkarth bank when there are 50 people crammed in there at one time :lol:

Even before the patch that added this odd effect to the lighting, houses were too dark, some requiring 100 lights for a house with a 400 item limit just to stop being so dark, and again, comparing this to the rest of Tamriel, other buildings don't need this many lights in them! I just don't understand what zenimax are doing when it comes to lights in these houses at all...

• Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, please fix the lighting before live. This new effect with lights only coming on when you stand right next to them is awful
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah that is bad
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, its really weird because I just noticed that new lighting bug doesn't happen in every location.
    I put an imperial torch in 'Cyrodiil Jungle House' garden and it only illuminates when I walk right up to it. But, when I put the same torch into 'The Gardiners House' it stayed light no matter where I was?!?! weird... c'mon ZOS, what gives??
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    Actually, its really weird because I just noticed that new lighting bug doesn't happen in every location.
    I put an imperial torch in 'Cyrodiil Jungle House' garden and it only illuminates when I walk right up to it. But, when I put the same torch into 'The Gardiners House' it stayed light no matter where I was?!?! weird... c'mon ZOS, what gives??

I also noticed that it seems far worse in some houses than others too... The large Redguard house wasn't too bad really, compared to the medium Breton house in Rivenspire which I am pretty sure is the worst...

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whoo boy, that's not great...

@SadieJoan, since I know you've been in all/most of the housing, how bad is the lighting (considering all the available natural light) in the AD manor house?
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Yes. Please ask them to make lighting work properly. A well lit home should not appear dark.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If ZOS do not undo this recent 'fix' that ruined lighting by making lights in certain houses only illuminate when you are practically sitting on top of them, then we will all very seriously need to reconsider what houses we go for !!
    I for one will be picking my house based on lighting if this is the case.
    There is less than 2 weeks to go, please give us some feedback that this issue is being addressed ZOS
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@SadieJoan, since I know you've been in all/most of the housing, how bad is the lighting (considering all the available natural light) in the AD manor house?

They are all pretty bad tbh, as they all have this effect with the lighting, but I don't think the AD manor is the worst of the... But saying that, all large spaces look a bit strange, because when you are at one end of the room, the other end, and all other rooms/corridors leading away from the room are just completely dark...

• DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SadieJoan wrote: »

They are all pretty bad tbh, as they all have this effect with the lighting, but I don't think the AD manor is the worst of the... But saying that, all large spaces look a bit strange, because when you are at one end of the room, the other end, and all other rooms/corridors leading away from the room are just completely dark...

Ewww...

Thanks for the info though!
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, the lighting you showed in that video was just horrible. I can't see how or why ZOS would allow this to go live. All the homesteads we have available will be more like dungeons than homes. @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_RichLambert, this really needs to be addressed.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If ZOS do not undo this recent 'fix' that ruined lighting by making lights in certain houses only illuminate when you are practically sitting on top of them, then we will all very seriously need to reconsider what houses we go for !!
    There is less than 2 weeks to go, please give us some feedback that this issue is being addressed ZOS

If it isn't fixed soon, and we don't receive any sort of feedback about this, I am going to have to buy Earthtear Cavern (not that I particularly wanted to...) because its pretty much outside, and the only home where lighting doesn't seem to be an issue :lol:

• Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought I would just add some screenshots of what I believe to be the worst home for this lighting problem, as far as I have found, the medium Breton house in Rivenspire is much, much worse than anywhere else (goodness knows why...) Its so bad that I cannot even decorate it, because either I cannot see properly because it is so dark, or I am blinded by standing pretty much on top of a light... Its such a shame because I loved this house! :neutral:

In one of these pictures, you can clearly see that I am just a meter or two away from a brazier, and it is not giving off any light... This one room has a total of 64 lights inside it, including wall sconces, floor braziers, chandeliers and candles...

This is not acceptable. The lighting cannot be left like this for live, this house is literally uninhabitable at the moment!

[img][/img]31727778973_dc5b0454a5_h.jpgScreenshot_20170126_185226

[img][/img]32160691290_b68838229b_h.jpgScreenshot_20170126_185242

[img][/img]32498760616_8465e74fd4_h.jpgScreenshot_20170126_185138

On the plus side, if you like Nord houses, this one in Riften seems completely unaffected by this lighting issue... This screenshot was taken at night, with just 9 lights in the room :confused: Strange!

[img][/img]31728091183_d885975656_h.jpgScreenshot_20170126_192250
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on January 26, 2017 7:27PM

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it isn't fixed soon, and we don't receive any sort of feedback about this, I am going to have to buy Earthtear Cavern (not that I particularly wanted to...) because its pretty much outside, and the only home where lighting doesn't seem to be an issue :lol:

Please don't say that or they'll never fix rhe issue. :tongue:
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 26, 2017 8:38PM
  • ExcaliburESO
    ExcaliburESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also made a post about it and put some examples there also. Hope it gets fixed very soon!
    Pls @ZOS_GinaBruno

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/316413/house-lights-bug#latest
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side, if you like Nord houses, this one in Riften seems completely unaffected by this lighting issue... This screenshot was taken at night, with just 9 lights in the room :confused: Strange!

So that's why I wasn't experiencing it - the house I was decorating wasn't affected by the bug. Just checked some of the other houses, and they definitely suffer from it.

I noticed that even lighting from windows doesn't appear until you get close to the window (look where the crosshair is pointing):

window_1.png

window_2.png

I checked window lighting in Strident Springs (which isn't affected by the bug) and you can always see the light from the windows regardless of your distance from the source.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 27, 2017 1:08AM
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh no, not another lighting patch D:

rip decibel
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just went to every single house on the pts and tested out the lighting in them :lol:

I found that in 14 of the regular houses (not including the Manors) the lighting was broken, and strangely, in another 14 the lighting was fine... Two of the three Manors don't seem to have this lighting problem (although they do have other lighting problems) and the third Manor, I couldn't decide whether the lighting was acting strangely or not...

The houses that do not seem to be affected are;

-Old Mistveil Manor
    -Grymharth's Woe
    -Kragenhome
    -Mathiisen Manor
    -Cliffshade
    -Dawnshadow
    -Strident Springs Demesne
    -Domus Phrasticus (Although, this house is very very dark, and upstairs has a strange blue hue to the natural ight during the day...)
    -Captain Margaux's Place
    -Hammerdeck End
    -Gardner House
    -Mournoth Keep (This house is VERY dark though)
    -Twin Arches
    -House of the Silent Magnifico

-Daggerfall Overlook seems to have escaped this weird lighting problem, but, a bit like the medium Imperial house, it has a strange colouring to the natural light, so the room on the main floor, and upstairs seem to glow a blueish colour.

-Ebonheart Chateau is 'fine' too, but something weird is going on in this place :lol: for some reason, its really misty inside... When at one end of the room, the other end is just covered in thick fog :neutral: This is not to do with the size of the place, as I am pretty sure Daggerfall Overlook is bigger, and this wasn't a problem there. This also happens in some of the smaller rooms in the basement too...

I couldn't decide whether the AD Manor, Serenity Falls Estate, and Quandam Indorilla, the large Dunmer house, had a problem or not... In both of these houses, sometimes lights at the other side of the room, not within a meter or two like the others but further away, would appear to be off (weirdly this was worse during the day, rather than at night) so if they do have a problem, it is mild and not as severe as the 14 houses which DEFINITELY have a problem.

I have no idea why some seem to have this problem and others don't, as the ones which are affected have nothing in common... Some are large, some are small, they are of different styles etc. The only exception being that ALL of the Bosmer and Argonian houses are really badly affected by this.
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on January 27, 2017 9:52AM

• Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just went to every single house on the pts and tested out the lighting in them :lol:

I found that in 14 of the regular houses (not including the Manors) the lighting was broken, and strangely, in another 14 the lighting was fine... Two of the three Manors don't seem to have this lighting problem (although they do have other lighting problems) and the third Manor, I couldn't decide whether the lighting was acting strangely or not...

The houses that do not seem to be affected are;

-Old Mistveil Manor
    -Grymharth's Woe
    -Kragenhome
    -Mathiisen Manor
    -Cliffshade
    -Dawnshadow
    -Strident Springs Demesne
    -Domus Phrasticus (Although, this house is very very dark, and upstairs has a strange blue hue to the natural ight during the day...)
    -Captain Margaux's Place
    -Hammerdeck End
    -Gardner House
    -Mournoth Keep (This house is VERY dark though)
    -Twin Arches
    -House of the Silent Magnifico

-Daggerfall Overlook seems to have escaped this weird lighting problem, but, a bit like the medium Imperial house, it has a strange colouring to the natural light, so the room on the main floor, and upstairs seem to glow a blueish colour.

-Ebonheart Chateau is 'fine' too, but something weird is going on in this place :lol: for some reason, its really misty inside... When at one end of the room, the other end is just covered in thick fog :neutral: This is not to do with the size of the place, as I am pretty sure Daggerfall Overlook is bigger, and this wasn't a problem there. This also happens in some of the smaller rooms in the basement too...

I couldn't decide whether the AD Manor, Serenity Falls Estate, and Quandam Indorilla, the large Dunmer house, had a problem or not... In both of these houses, sometimes lights at the other side of the room, not within a meter or two like the others but further away, would appear to be off (weirdly this was worse during the day, rather than at night) so if they do have a problem, it is mild and not as severe as the 14 houses which DEFINITELY have a problem.

I have no idea why some seem to have this problem and others don't, as the ones which are affected have nothing in common... Some are large, some are small, they are of different styles etc. The only exception being that ALL of the Bosmer and Argonian houses are really badly affected by this.

I am decorating the Large Nord house, Old Mistveil Manor, right now, and I was wrong, it is not fine, it seems that the Nord chandelier (just like some of the other lights/chandeliers that produce a whitish light as opposed to a warmer coloured light) was making it appear to be fine. I removed these temporarily whilst decorating the house, and with them gone, the problem is in this house too.

I then put the chandeliers back up and the problem is STILL here, despite it being fine before I took them down... What the heck is going on with this?! :lol:
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on January 27, 2017 10:58AM

• ExcaliburESO
    ExcaliburESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Any updates on this?
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Any updates on this?

Was thinking the same thing... Didn't hear anythign about this problem on ESO live, I was hoping that they would say something about it :disappointed:

• manavortex
    manavortex
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't decide whether the AD Manor, Serenity Falls Estate, and Quandam Indorilla, the large Dunmer house, had a problem or not...
    As for Quandam Indorilia, I just was there - when I stand at the entrance, any light source I put up around where the two doors oppose each other isn't activated. :|
    Stop Zanil Theran's sinister plot to exterminate bank space! Give ESO+ subscribers a virtual Furniture Bag!
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    i keep logging in to pts JUST to see if the lighting is fixed. I LOVE the potential with housing and am keeping an open mind for improvements/more sane mat requirements but this destroys the ambience of all the possibilities-present and future. No more crowns for you guys if this isn't fixed! :grin: