Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.2.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

lighting in houses needs to be fixed before Homestead goes live!

• Zariah
    Zariah
    ✭✭✭
    This -needs- to be fixed before live! I don't want to spend millions of gold on a house that I won't be able to see what I do in. It is seriously super dark in most of them. Please please change this :(
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    well-i was careful not to move any of the lights that were there originally in case osteos was right. But for me it just seems to happen due to logging out and back in. This is Domus Phrasticus prior to logging out and after
  • Zariah
    Zariah
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Will we have a comment on this?
    Edited by Zariah on February 1, 2017 2:25AM
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Myrrah wrote: »
    well-i was careful not to move any of the lights that were there originally in case osteos was right. But for me it just seems to happen due to logging out and back in. This is Domus Phrasticus prior to logging out and after

Wow, so it seems that even the houses that appear to mostly be fine can still get this bug... Was the second image during the day or night? I found the AD manor to be fine at night, and weirdly during the day, even though it wasn't exactly dark like many other houses tend to be, the lights were behaving oddly :neutral:

People have been complaining about this problem now since the start of the EU character transfer, and still not one word has been mentioned about it from absolutely anyone. You would think that housing being completely broken due to not being able to see inside them through the darkness would be taken far more seriously, especially when this update is so close to being released. If it isn't fixed before then, I hope ZOS is prepared to refund allot of angry customers :lol:
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on February 1, 2017 2:37AM
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I decided to go and redecorate the Gardner House, seeing as Ravenhurst is so broken, and before the last patch this house was always fine and I never encountered a problem with it, now it is almost as bad as Ravenhurst...

I have a terrible feeling that this 'bug' (if that is indeed what it is) has actually been added to homes that it wasn't affecting previously, before the last patch. I even noticed it in Earthtear Cavern and Grand Topal yesterday, and due to these being outside they were never affected before, but most certainly are now! :neutral:

• ixie
    ixie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SadieJoan regarding Strident Springs, I spent a huge amount of time in that house during the EU transfer time, I did notice the bug inside the house though rarely, there is one area of the garden though that was badly effected for me, the area to the side of the water, I've added a picture to clarify which area I mean though in the screenshot the bug isn't there

JQGhdKF.jpg
    PC EU

Ixie - Breton Nightblade
    Paints-With-Frogs - Argonian Nightblade
    Swee Troll - Crafter Dragonknight
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @SadieJoan regarding Strident Springs, I spent a huge amount of time in that house during the EU transfer time, I did notice the bug inside the house though rarely, there is one area of the garden though that was badly effected for me, the area to the side of the water, I've added a picture to clarify which area I mean though in the screenshot the bug isn't there

JQGhdKF.jpg

Oh no :disappointed: Why are ZOS not saying anything about this? Its such a game breaking thing which is part of a massive update. You would think they would have commented on it by now, just to put peoples minds at ease, and let us know if/when this is going to be fixed...

• Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    SadieJoan wrote: »

Wow, so it seems that even the houses that appear to mostly be fine can still get this bug... Was the second image during the day or night? I found the AD manor to be fine at night, and weirdly during the day, even though it wasn't exactly dark like many other houses tend to be, the lights were behaving oddly :neutral:

i believe the second picture was at either dusk or dawn. i came and went throughout the rest of the day/night cycle though and it didn't improve at any time of day or night. It seems like a bug rather than WAI because in the upstairs-it was extremely dark even with the chandeliers that have seemed to help before. You couldn't really even see the chandeliers they were so dark. i went out into the hallway and then went back in and it was lit up. But then went dark again while i was in there. i've tried messing with all the video and graphics settings (as i'm sure we all have) and nothing helps
  • willlienellson
    willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see what else they fix break before it goes live.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

JQGhdKF.jpg

Oh no :disappointed: Why are ZOS not saying anything about this? Its such a game breaking thing which is part of a massive update. You would think they would have commented on it by now, just to put peoples minds at ease, and let us know if/when this is going to be fixed...

Chill. It's not a priority (and I wouldn't want it to be) for ZoS developers to have to go tot he forum and update appropriate thread every time they fix a bug.
    If it gets fixed then it should be in the next lot of patch notes, though I have a feeling they don't put in most bug fixes in the patch notes cause otherwise the patch notes would be LOOOONG
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was decorating Domus Phrasticus, I had no lighting bug problems, until I started adding more and more light sources. At some point some of the lights started to not give light anymore on the other side of the room. When I started removing newly added light sources, one at the time, the old light sources started to give light again.

Exhibit A:
    Lighting is all good in the back end of the room
    Screenshot_20170201_224914.png

Exhibit B:
    I add a few chandeliers, and the lights go out in the back end
    Screenshot_20170201_224622.png

So my new hypothesis for this bug: there is capacity limit on the number of light sources we can add to a house (probably performance related). When we add more sources, some just won't give light anymore.

And the plus side, I'm loving this:
    Screenshot_20170201_214131.png

So much easier finding your light sources!

Edit: this hypothesis only seems to be valid for DP though. I was checking out Ravenhurst, and after removing all lightsources except one Breton wall sconce, this scone would still stop giving off light if I moved more than 2 meters from it. :(
    Edited by Incognitius on February 1, 2017 9:58PM
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    When I was decorating Domus Phrasticus, I had no lighting bug problems, until I started adding more and more light sources. At some point some of the lights started to not give light anymore on the other side of the room. When I started removing newly added light sources, one at the time, the old light sources started to give light again.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

So my new hypothesis for this bug: there is capacity limit on the number of light sources we can add to a house (probably performance related). When we add more sources, some just won't give light anymore.

And the plus side, I'm loving this:
    Screenshot_20170201_214131.png

So much easier finding your light sources!

Edit: this hypothesis only seems to be valid for DP though. I was checking out Ravenhurst, and after removing all lightsources except one Breton wall sconce, this scone would still stop giving off light if I moved more than 2 meters from it. :(

doh! This thought occurred to me actually and then i forgot it occurred to me-LOL! i was going to try it out to see. Thank you for retrieving the thought for me :# (it's a bummer it's only so for some houses though :/ )
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought Mournoth furnished and moved existing lights around added more and had no lighting issues. Ravenhurst however, I bought the furnished version and it was bugged immediately. It was actually bugged in the preview. It is night time in the game right now so i will try again there in a bit to see if day makes any difference. This bug was not present when the pts first released.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • willlienellson
    willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also not the case for Black Vine. I only ever placed a single light source from the very beginning and it failed right away.
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

It is day time in the game and the lights are working correctly in Ravenhurst. They are on at all times I don't not have to approach them for them to light up.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Kikki_Wintersong
    I decided to go and redecorate the Gardner House, seeing as Ravenhurst is so broken, and before the last patch this house was always fine and I never encountered a problem with it, now it is almost as bad as Ravenhurst...

I have a terrible feeling that this 'bug' (if that is indeed what it is) has actually been added to homes that it wasn't affecting previously, before the last patch. I even noticed it in Earthtear Cavern and Grand Topal yesterday, and due to these being outside they were never affected before, but most certainly are now! :neutral:

Yep, Gardner house is dark as hell too. It seems to me, that the lighting situation is a little better in small houses, Autumn's gate and Twin arches seem "fine" in comparison with other houses... But the fires (flaming fire) have a cold white light everywhere, the light of the fire shoud be warm and cozy :(
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just went to every single house on the pts and tested out the lighting in them :lol:

I found that in 14 of the regular houses (not including the Manors) the lighting was broken, and strangely, in another 14 the lighting was fine... Two of the three Manors don't seem to have this lighting problem (although they do have other lighting problems) and the third Manor, I couldn't decide whether the lighting was acting strangely or not...

The houses that do not seem to be affected are;

-Old Mistveil Manor
    -Grymharth's Woe
    -Kragenhome
    -Mathiisen Manor
    -Cliffshade
    -Dawnshadow
    -Strident Springs Demesne
    -Domus Phrasticus (Although, this house is very very dark, and upstairs has a strange blue hue to the natural ight during the day...)
    -Captain Margaux's Place
    -Hammerdeck End
    -Gardner House
    -Mournoth Keep (This house is VERY dark though)
    -Twin Arches
    -House of the Silent Magnifico

-Daggerfall Overlook seems to have escaped this weird lighting problem, but, a bit like the medium Imperial house, it has a strange colouring to the natural light, so the room on the main floor, and upstairs seem to glow a blueish colour.

-Ebonheart Chateau is 'fine' too, but something weird is going on in this place :lol: for some reason, its really misty inside... When at one end of the room, the other end is just covered in thick fog :neutral: This is not to do with the size of the place, as I am pretty sure Daggerfall Overlook is bigger, and this wasn't a problem there. This also happens in some of the smaller rooms in the basement too...

I couldn't decide whether the AD Manor, Serenity Falls Estate, and Quandam Indorilla, the large Dunmer house, had a problem or not... In both of these houses, sometimes lights at the other side of the room, not within a meter or two like the others but further away, would appear to be off (weirdly this was worse during the day, rather than at night) so if they do have a problem, it is mild and not as severe as the 14 houses which DEFINITELY have a problem.

I have no idea why some seem to have this problem and others don't, as the ones which are affected have nothing in common... Some are large, some are small, they are of different styles etc. The only exception being that ALL of the Bosmer and Argonian houses are really badly affected by this.

Super insightful, thanks! My top 2 small houses are not on the list :(

Hope it'll get changed.

• Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    eu8nuf7g14w3.png

i have been working on strident springs demesne and it appears to be fixed there :) i haven't made it to any of the others i noticed it in but that was one that was drearily effected and doesn't seem to be anymore. If this is indeed fixed-thank you!

based on the pic, i think it is still too dark.
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    Iarao wrote: »
    eu8nuf7g14w3.png

i have been working on strident springs demesne and it appears to be fixed there :) i haven't made it to any of the others i noticed it in but that was one that was drearily effected and doesn't seem to be anymore. If this is indeed fixed-thank you!

i didn't have many lights in it yet. i was just going by whether the lights had the "warm glow" all around them lighting up their immediate surroundings rather than just looking like little white dots in otherwise dark surroundings. so effectively not behaving like lights
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eu8nuf7g14w3.png

i didn't have many lights in it yet. i was just going by whether the lights had the "warm glow" all around them lighting up their immediate surroundings rather than just looking like little white dots in otherwise dark surroundings. so effectively not behaving like lights

I do the same thing. When I enter a house, the first thing I do now is put some lights in and stand on the other side of the room to see if they are 'glowing' :lol:

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eu8nuf7g14w3.png

You can see the lights on the back wall are emanating though, so it's working as intended. The gamma setting might just be set to very dark in this person's game.

The bug is when the lights don't actually give off any light.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on February 2, 2017 10:13PM
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭

I do the same thing. When I enter a house, the first thing I do now is put some lights in and stand on the other side of the room to see if they are 'glowing' :lol:

Yep-lol

You can see the lights on the back wall are emanating though, so it's working as intended. The gamma setting might just be set to very dark in this person's game.

The bug is when the lights don't actually give off any light.

It might be my computer settings too. The game is using default settings but i do photography and the frustration of editing photos on my computer so that they look the same on the computer as they do on peoples phones is significant so i adjust things accordingly. But yes-point being just that they are "glowing" correctly

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Well i tested out the "too much lighting" hypothesis. I removed all the chandeliers and several candles from the house. This was the result :(
    7dttg05b84he.png
    maybe once it happens-it's irrevocable
    Edited by Myrrah on February 2, 2017 10:44PM
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    wait-nope. I think Incognitius is right. I removed every light from the house and started over. Voila! (this is with 17 lights put back in)
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm the same as you, worked as an interior designer so photography was a part of that and lighting was important in both of these aspects, perhaps this is why we are both so passionate about this 'bug' being fixed :lol:

I don't know whats going on with this, sometimes a house appears fine, then it is bugged, and sometimes a bad house is suddenly ok! Some houses were not even affected, then after the last patch they were, and I am really starting to worry that perhaps this entire thing, that we call a bug, is actually intended on Zenimax's part, because if it weren't, why would they not have made a single comment about it for so long? It's not like this 'bug' is new... So is this a new feature? Is this how it will be on live? If so, count me out for a house, I am excited for this, but I won't spend money on a dark room that only allows me to see if I am on top of a light!

• Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭
    ok here is a suggestion. check your gamma adjustment under vid settings. for some reason, mine was way too dark. i thought i had set it, but maybe not. or setting got borked. much more general light. and the reason for the blue tinge may have to do with your monitor. some do a blue thing to be easier on your eyes. mine can be adjusted. just a thought.
  • Myrrah
    Myrrah
    ✭✭✭
    ok here is a suggestion. check your gamma adjustment under vid settings. for some reason, mine was way too dark. i thought i had set it, but maybe not. or setting got borked. much more general light. and the reason for the blue tinge may have to do with your monitor. some do a blue thing to be easier on your eyes. mine can be adjusted. just a thought.

it isn't the darkness in general. Yes that can be changed with gamma settings :) It's that the lights don't light up their surroundings suddenly. They don't function as lights. I don't want to change my gamma settings to give the illusion of light in my house because then it will be too bright outside and the point of lights is to have that nice "candle lit" look. If you look at the original screen shots we've posted-the lights light up their surroundings. Then suddenly stop and just become little white dots in the darkness. In the last screen shot i posted-the lights were again working as they should. It is generally dark because i didn't put many in yet as i was checking to see if it had anything to do with too many lights.
  • Iarao
    Iarao
    ✭✭✭✭

it isn't the darkness in general. Yes that can be changed with gamma settings :) It's that the lights don't light up their surroundings suddenly. They don't function as lights. I don't want to change my gamma settings to give the illusion of light in my house because then it will be too bright outside and the point of lights is to have that nice "candle lit" look. If you look at the original screen shots we've posted-the lights light up their surroundings. Then suddenly stop and just become little white dots in the darkness. In the last screen shot i posted-the lights were again working as they should. It is generally dark because i didn't put many in yet as i was checking to see if it had anything to do with too many lights.

i did see that and did notice that when i got near they got brighter. but the whole room is dark; mine were, as well. when i went to gamma, the middle icon coudl not be seen at all. i made it barely seen as you are supposed to have it and the whole room got lighter. more like a house and less like a cave :)
  • willlienellson
    willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a settings issue.

The situation didn't even exist until the 2nd or 3rd PTS patch.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the same as you, worked as an interior designer so photography was a part of that and lighting was important in both of these aspects, perhaps this is why we are both so passionate about this 'bug' being fixed :lol:

I don't know whats going on with this, sometimes a house appears fine, then it is bugged, and sometimes a bad house is suddenly ok! Some houses were not even affected, then after the last patch they were, and I am really starting to worry that perhaps this entire thing, that we call a bug, is actually intended on Zenimax's part, because if it weren't, why would they not have made a single comment about it for so long? It's not like this 'bug' is new... So is this a new feature? Is this how it will be on live? If so, count me out for a house, I am excited for this, but I won't spend money on a dark room that only allows me to see if I am on top of a light!

I'm not sure.

If it was an intended feature, it would happen consistently, and in all the houses. I'm still leaning towards bug.

But I wouldn't put it past ZOS to label this as a feature designed to "improve performance".

Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed/reverted because it's horrible.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Fam, why you ignoring our pleas? Is this a feature? Is it a bug? Is it getting fixed for Monday?
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think people would play this game for years and then suddenly find the interior of houses too dark. I checked NPC houses with the same structures as the ones we can buy and they are much brighter at the same day time even in rooms that have no light sources besides windows.

Ironically this NPC home has the windows barricaded...

RCFLRHK.jpg

And furnished Kragenhome:

Y4pbgtv.jpg