The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Potential Guild Trader Exploit! Please Investigate and Fix ASAP!

• Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Artmetis wrote: »
    nooblybear wrote: »
    Kivisild wrote: »
    The issue is the fact that people are using an unfair exploit to gain a guild trader and do nothing with it.

You obviously haven't even read this post. There was no unfair exploit used to gain the trader in the first place. The trader was gained legitimately, and then disbanded. Another trading guild then hired the spot for 10,000g, as is standard when there's an empty trader.

The "exploit" here was that the guild which hired in the first place was empty, was then disbanded, and was put in place by the second trading guild as they had, due to a bug, been locked into bidding in another place.

That's the point, an exploit was used, intentionally, to ensure one guild could bid in many spots at once. This is expressly against Zos's design. We have a unique system of trading in ESO, this was intentionally created by the Devs. With this exploit, we now can create an 'Auction House' and drive most of the traffic to specific large guilds. AkA Sceana's Cartel. Hey Sceana, ya still hiring? :)

How? How can one group create AH conditions from an empty guild outbidding everyone on the server? They have to install a client guild afterwards without guarantee of success, remember? Why not just bid with the intended guild in the first place?

The amount of sockpuppetting in this thread is amazing, look at all the accounts with no posts before today.
    Erasure wrote: »
    As many people replied in this forum, this will cause problems down the road. Especially over the fact that some guilds possibly intended for nobody to find out they were doing it. My opinion on the exploit stands that you can create a monopoly and as Scaena said "charge guilds a protection tax" if they wanted to keep the trader. Also speaking you can sell these Traders for real life currency which is outrageous! Now that the community is aware of the issue who knows what could happen in the future.

Come on, who has the time for that? Don't forget, you actually have to *win* the bid, as well as be willing to sacrifice the guild roster and build it again each time. Millions of gold deleted and at least 50 people sacrificing a guild slot? And for all of that, you're not even guaranteed to install your chosen group.

Whole thread full of allied gm's trying to get people scared this could be used offensively... it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics, not to mess with anyone. Chill.

This is purely opinion based yet you are calling out GM's for trying to use this offensively? It is clearly an exploit that was used and shouldn't be in the game. However your opinion stands with you. I said it can cause future problems which it likely may considering the effect you can go with an exploit like this.

And I am sure people would go through the trouble to do this, as witnessed today. You also stated the "poorly coded guild trader" so wouldn't that mean you think it shouldn't be implemented in the game?

People in this topic trying to scare others into believing in offensive uses != guilds ingame trying to use offensively, don't misquote me.
    Thinking the bidding system is a patch job that needs an overhaul != supporting an AH, don't misconstrue my words. See here.
    A guild bought a trader, paying more than anyone else, and did what they wanted with it.

What's the issue? That you guys didn't manage to hire it?

The issue is the fact that people are using an unfair exploit to gain a guild trader and do nothing with it. What's the point? Also you said I "misquoted" you, so I will proceed to copy and paste it so I don't get it wrong, " it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics." (Erasure, 2017, Pg.2). You noticed that the trader is poorly coded which means it should be fixed.

I appreciate your opinion however, and see where you're coming from, even if nobody here agrees with it.

People in this topic are also not "using this to scare others" the people are using this to get the exploit out in the open and let the entire community know what the issue at hand is. So what is wrong with that?

The issue is false, then, the guild trader isn't being left bare. The trader hiring behavior which needs fixing is the glitch where Hire=Bid for next week. The current behavior of Hiring_Guild_Disbands=Open trader is better for the community than Hiring_Guild_Disbands= Dead trader until next week. Both situations can be gamed to benefit players, but one results in a useable store, and one results in a middle finger to players who want to buy items in town.
    " it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics." (Erasure, 2017, Pg.2).

Oh didn't realize that "prime" trading guilds didn't have to play by the same rules and suffer the same consequences. Win a bid, lose a bid. No guild is entitled to a certain spot, whether they are a "prime" guild or not. So, creating a dummy guild to bid on 2 stalls is exploiting the system. Congratulating them for their cleverness and berating those who question it doesn't change that. If a player is only allowed to do "x", but figures out a way to do "x, y and z" to bypass or overcome some coding, it's an exploit, is it not?

That's not what happened, that's the lie being told in this thread. It could be used that way, but it wasn't.
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    That's not what happened, that's the lie being told in this thread. It could be used that way, but it wasn't.[/quote]

I think you're confused. The issue is they held up the spot till after the regular trading time then, having lost their regular bid they disbanded the test guild and took that spot. It makes the bid time irrelevant, it let them bid on more than one location and it kept other guilds from bidding on a trader that might have been open. Its intent was to exploit.

@Redmoonga
    Edited by redmoonga on January 23, 2017 5:16AM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really fail to comprehend how this could be described as an exploit. This is working exactly how Zenimax intended it.

It seems fairly obvious that ZOS intended the guild trader to be freed up when a real guild genuinely disbanded. Not for bogus guilds to disband on purpose in collusion with other guilds to get multiple bids. Using existing game functionality in unintended ways to get an advantage the developers never wanted, is pretty much the definition of an exploit. This is not how ZOS intended the bidding process to work. It is like money laundering. All the individual steps of a money laundering operation are legal, but the combination of certain steps is illegal. Saying that the individual, particular steps of this exploit are valid game functionality is distracting people with trees so they do not see the forest.
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    redmoonga wrote: »
    I think your confused. The issue is they held up the spot till after the regular trading time then, having lost their regular bid they disbanded the test guild and took that spot. It makes the bid time irrelevant, it let them bid on more than one location and it kept other guilds from bidding on a trader that might have been open. It's intent was to exploit.

@Redmoonga

It's being repeatedly misconstrued to resemble: Oh they couldn't manage a normal trader, so they cheated to get this one!
    Actual was: Oh they almost got stuck in the boondocks because of glitched hiring rules, but they managed to wriggle free!
    Edited by Erasure on January 23, 2017 5:13AM
  • NerdyHayseed
    NerdyHayseed
    ✭✭

The amount of sockpuppetting in this thread is amazing, look at all the accounts with no posts before today.

WOW. Just keep digging. I resemble that remark. You're only reinforcing the idea that you have a dog in this race.

You've admitted the real guild didn't want to end up with a trader in less than a prime spot. Duh, who does. So the only reason to create the dummy guild was to overcome some bid lock in a less-than-prime place. [exploit]

A guild with crap-tons of gold can easily pull together a 2nd guild, win the bid in their stall of choice; then just hand it over to the real guild. Which is pretty much what you've asserted happened.

Who cares if a trader in a 'prime' spot is empty because the system was used as intended? Who cares if some prime guild sucks it up for a week or more outside of Rawl?? Keep posting because the truth of it becomes clearer with every post.
    Edited by NerdyHayseed on January 23, 2017 5:18AM
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    It's being repeatedly misconstrued to resemble: Oh they couldn't manage a normal trader, so they cheated to get this one!
    Actual was: Oh they almost got stuck in the boondocks because of glitched hiring rules, but they managed to wriggle free![/quote]

Well I'm glad you agree now that they manufactured this as an exploit. :)

@Redmoonga
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    Artmetis wrote: »
    The issue is the fact that people are using an unfair exploit to gain a guild trader and do nothing with it.

You obviously haven't even read this post. There was no unfair exploit used to gain the trader in the first place. The trader was gained legitimately, and then disbanded. Another trading guild then hired the spot for 10,000g, as is standard when there's an empty trader.

The "exploit" here was that the guild which hired in the first place was empty, was then disbanded, and was put in place by the second trading guild as they had, due to a bug, been locked into bidding in another place.

That's the point, an exploit was used, intentionally, to ensure one guild could bid in many spots at once. This is expressly against Zos's design. We have a unique system of trading in ESO, this was intentionally created by the Devs. With this exploit, we now can create an 'Auction House' and drive most of the traffic to specific large guilds. AkA Sceana's Cartel. Hey Sceana, ya still hiring? :)
    How? How can one group create AH conditions from an empty guild outbidding everyone on the server? They have to install a client guild afterwards without guarantee of success, remember? Why not just bid with the intended guild in the first place?

Well I know for my own Domination plans I intend to outbid all the smaller guilds in the outskirts forcing most people to the traders I want. This would be financied by selling trader stalls I won in prime locations. By descreasing the amount of zones and traders available I can in effect create a more centralized auction house where players only go to say 3-10 zones.

Also the guarantee of success is 99.99%. Nobody knows when the guild will be disbanded except for the guild owner. They can do it 5min after the trader flip or at 3AM when everyone is gone. Nobody can sit on that Trader 24/7 continuing to spam click hire.

They also are already bidding with the intended guild. This exploit is about providing backup spots in case the main trade guild loses. If they win with their main guild then they'll have that empty guild just sit there for the week taking up a spot.
    As many people replied in this forum, this will cause problems down the road. Especially over the fact that some guilds possibly intended for nobody to find out they were doing it. My opinion on the exploit stands that you can create a monopoly and as Scaena said "charge guilds a protection tax" if they wanted to keep the trader. Also speaking you can sell these Traders for real life currency which is outrageous! Now that the community is aware of the issue who knows what could happen in the future.

Come on, who has the time for that? Don't forget, you actually have to *win* the bid, as well as be willing to sacrifice the guild roster and build it again each time. Millions of gold deleted and at least 50 people sacrificing a guild slot? And for all of that, you're not even guaranteed to install your chosen group.

Whole thread full of allied gm's trying to get people scared this could be used offensively... it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics, not to mess with anyone. Chill.

This is purely opinion based yet you are calling out GM's for trying to use this offensively? It is clearly an exploit that was used and shouldn't be in the game. However your opinion stands with you. I said it can cause future problems which it likely may considering the effect you can go with an exploit like this.

And I am sure people would go through the trouble to do this, as witnessed today. You also stated the "poorly coded guild trader" so wouldn't that mean you think it shouldn't be implemented in the game?

People in this topic trying to scare others into believing in offensive uses != guilds ingame trying to use offensively, don't misquote me.
    Thinking the bidding system is a patch job that needs an overhaul != supporting an AH, don't misconstrue my words. See here.
    A guild bought a trader, paying more than anyone else, and did what they wanted with it.

What's the issue? That you guys didn't manage to hire it?

The issue is the fact that people are using an unfair exploit to gain a guild trader and do nothing with it. What's the point? Also you said I "misquoted" you, so I will proceed to copy and paste it so I don't get it wrong, " it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics." (Erasure, 2017, Pg.2). You noticed that the trader is poorly coded which means it should be fixed.

I appreciate your opinion however, and see where you're coming from, even if nobody here agrees with it.

People in this topic are also not "using this to scare others" the people are using this to get the exploit out in the open and let the entire community know what the issue at hand is. So what is wrong with that? [/quote]
    The issue is false, then, the guild trader isn't being left bare. The trader hiring behavior which needs fixing is the glitch where Hire=Bid for next week. The current behavior of Hiring_Guild_Disbands=Open trader is better for the community than Hiring_Guild_Disbands= Dead trader until next week. Both situations can be gamed to benefit players, but one results in a useable store, and one results in a middle finger to players who want to buy items in town.

The Hiring_Guild_Disbands=Open Trader nor Dead Trader are good for the game. It will be certainly be good for my plans of Tamriel Domination but it's a death sentence for small guilds. All the big guilds will start using alt guilds to bid on backup spots and most will just sit there unused. They would only be used for those rare times the main guild loses their bid.

It's either one guild, one bid or you should be ready for my conquest to start very soon. For you and all your guilds to swear allegiance to my cartel.
    " it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics." (Erasure, 2017, Pg.2).

Oh didn't realize that "prime" trading guilds didn't have to play by the same rules and suffer the same consequences. Win a bid, lose a bid. No guild is entitled to a certain spot, whether they are a "prime" guild or not. So, creating a dummy guild to bid on 2 stalls is exploiting the system. Congratulating them for their cleverness and berating those who question it doesn't change that. If a player is only allowed to do "x", but figures out a way to do "x, y and z" to bypass or overcome some coding, it's an exploit, is it not?
    That's not what happened, that's the lie being told in this thread. It could be used that way, but it wasn't.

It's an exploit and will be used that way. That's why it needs to be fixed.

Otherwise nobody can complain when I use it to start my empire and have you start singing my anthem...

"Oh Hail Scaena!
    The most beautiful trader that ever lived!
    The leader we never knew we wanted...
    *whip*
    ...But now we know better

Oh Hail Scaena!
    The one who dominated all of Tamriel!
    Who all bow before
    And give tribute to!

..."

It might need some work...
    Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 5:32AM
    FUTURE KINGPIN OF TAMRIEL
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    "Erasure wrote:
    Actual was: Oh they almost got stuck in the boondocks because of glitched hiring rules, but they managed to wriggle free!

I don't believe this is an exploit any more than animation cancelling is. The rules of the game were followed in an unusual way, and a team of players didn't like that so much, they made a bash thread about it. It happens from time to time in every section of these forums. If it were about how soloing a group boss was clearly cheating, or clearing vHRC with 4 people was ban worthy, I'd be fighting the stupidity just the same.
    WOW. Just keep digging. I resemble that remark.

Nah, you at least have some posts before today, if few. Speaking of fingers covered by fabric...
    Scaena wrote: »
    The Hiring_Guild_Disbands=Open Trader nor Dead Trader are good for the game. It will be certainly be good for my plans of Tamriel Domination but it's a death sentence for small guilds. All the big guilds will start using alt guilds to bid on backup spots and most will just sit there unused. They would only be used for those rare times the main guild loses their bid.

It's either one guild, one bid or you should be ready for my conquest to start very soon. For you and all your guilds to swear allegiance to my cartel.

It is one guild, one bid. "Hire", though, is free for all. If it decides to work o:)
    Edited by Erasure on January 23, 2017 5:38AM
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    "Erasure wrote:

I don't believe this is an exploit any more than animation cancelling is. The rules of the game were followed in an unusual way, and a team of players didn't like that so much, they made a bash thread about it. It happens from time to time in every section of these forums. If it were about how soloing a group boss was clearly cheating, or clearing vHRC with 4 people was ban worthy, I'd be fighting the stupidity just the same.

Aka exploiting. Zenimax never intended for the guild disband option to be used so that big trader guilds could reserve backup spots for themselves.

However... since you seem to be so for it... You won't mind when my alt guilds start taking up spots all over Tamriel and just so coincidently shut out other guilds, maybe even your own?

The blade swings both way...

It is one guild, one bid. "Hire", though, is free for all. If it decides to work o:)

Hire isn't free for all when only one guild knows when the guild will become hireable.

Computer 1 @ 2:34AM -> Disband Guild
    *Trader Hireable*
    Computer 2 @ 2:34AM 1( second later) -> Hire Trader

There is no chance of a second guild getting the trader before the cheating guild. None.

Which I guess will make it simpler when my Tamriel Domination plans begin... :)

Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 5:49AM
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    Erasure,

To break it down very simple for you... rule is, you can only bid on one trader

They bid on two.

hence, exploit.

Wish I could have done that in Haiku

@Redmoonga
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Aka exploiting. Zenimax never intended for the guild disband option to be used so that big trader guilds could reserve backup spots for themselves.

However... since you seem to be so for it... You won't mind when my alt guilds start taking up spots all over Tamriel and just so coincidently shut out other guilds, maybe even your own?

Hire isn't free for all when only one guild knows when the guild will become hireable.

*Trader Hireable*

There is no chance of a second guild getting the trader before the cheating guild. None.

You know it would take hundreds of accounts, and hundreds of millions of gold per week to make that a reality? I mean, you do you, but I can't imagine spending that much cash, irl or in-game, simply for the satisfaction of ruining other people's fun.

Or stop implying the ludicrous as the likely, either or.
  • Taternater
    Taternater
    ✭✭✭
    This creates a possible way to exploit the exploiters. Every week after bidding look for traders in popular areas owned by guilds with junk names, like "Guild for Testing", and park yourself by it and try to ninja it if it suddenly becomes unowned.
  • lee.m.brucepreub18_ESO
    lee.m.brucepreub18_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    still trying to come up with a word that rhymes with Scaena

All hail Scaena
    Although it may pain ya
    When your need is truly dire
    and you really need that hire

The King pin is your man,
    and with your gold he can
    Save the Day! Save the Day! Save the day!!!

hmmm yep still needs work and more *whip* maybe some grovelling...
    will have to think on this.
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    Taternater wrote: »
    This creates a possible way to exploit the exploiters. Every week after bidding look for traders in popular areas owned by guilds with junk names, like "Guild for Testing", and park yourself by it and try to ninja it if it suddenly becomes unowned.

I think trying to avoid that, is why we are all here.

@Redmoonga
    Edited by redmoonga on January 23, 2017 6:01AM
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Erasure,

They bid on two.

hence, exploit.

@Redmoonga

Redmoonga Struggles
    To argue enemies cheat
    Hoping for false ban

Erasure chuckles
    And purchases from Rawl'kha
    Neglecting Wayrest
  • SaRuZ
    SaRuZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have gathered, it has become a monopoly on Xbox NA. The top guilds get together and play politics to make sure they keep their spots every single week. Literally as little as ten guilds control the market and set the bids and prices in the stores. It's hard to secure a spot when the competition has ten GM's backing them all with 10+ mil to outbid you with.
    Edited by SaRuZ on January 23, 2017 6:01AM
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭

*Trader Hireable*

You know it would take hundreds of accounts, and hundreds of millions of gold per week to make that a reality? I mean, you do you, but I can't imagine spending that much cash, irl or in-game, simply for the satisfaction of ruining other people's fun.

Or stop implying the ludicrous as the likely, either or.

You've never played Eve have you? >.>

Also what's this about hundreds of accounts? I just need one account per guild or other players who want to join in. Most likely partners because hey I'm not made out of $$. Getting to 50 players is easy. There's loads of players in the game and it won't take much time to get 50 people to join a casual social trade guild. No need to mention the dual purpose of the guild.

Hundreds of millions of gold? Pshhh. Only the top trade spots go for millions of gold. Lots of spots go just for the hundreds of thousands.

I could easily get a dozen or so spots for a few million at most. If I wanted to take 3 spots in Elden root I bet I could get them for under 10M. A significant sum but still attainable. This is also where selling those trader stalls come into play and I start making a profit >:)

It's not about ruining people's fun.. it's about crushing their spirits and conquering Tamriel!

Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 6:07AM
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    still trying to come up with a word that rhymes with Scaena

All hail Scaena
    Although it may pain ya
    When your need is truly dire
    and you really need that hire

The King pin is your man,
    and with your gold he can
    Save the Day! Save the Day! Save the day!!!

hmmm yep still needs work and more *whip* maybe some grovelling...
    will have to think on this.

Sounds good!

Now back to work!

*whip*
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    Erasure,

They bid on two.

hence, exploit.

@Redmoonga

Redmoonga Struggles
    To argue enemies cheat
    Hoping for false ban

Erasure chuckles
    And purchases from Rawl'kha
    Neglecting Wayrest

dude, I don't know who you are. I don't care where you buy from. None of that has anything to do with this thread.

@Redmoonga
    Edited by redmoonga on January 23, 2017 6:28AM
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    Taternater wrote: »

Unfortunately it's not possible. You would have to literally sit there 24/7 spam clicking hire to just have a low chance of getting it. They can disband 5min after they get the trader or at 3AM.

They get to choose when to disband and they can always come up with better names than "Guild for Testing."

It does mean however that my plan of Tamriel Domination can go full steam ahead! Full proof indeed!
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    They get to choose when to disband and they can always come up with better names than "Guild for Testing."

They only forgot the word exploit on the end, other than that... it was the perfect name.

@Redmoonga
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh a centralized AH / Market would have been best for this game, alot less maintance and bugs around all these guild traders.
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh a centralized AH / Market would have been best for this game, alot less maintance and bugs around all these guild traders.

I'm not sure which is worse, buggy kiosks or 20k tempering alloy; but I'll stick with the devil I know.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure which is worse, buggy kiosks or 20k tempering alloy; but I'll stick with the devil I know.

True you'll get tons of inflated prices cause of the top end players having so much gold they don't even know what to do with, but then again its already happening every day would make no difference, IE: TTC Website.
  • chaserstorm16909
    chaserstorm16909
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The name "Guild for Testing" pretty much says it all.
  • The_Last_Titan
    The_Last_Titan
    ✭✭✭
    I believe i saw someone from Guild For Testing attempting to recruit people in zone for this, offering a kuta for membership. What ever the intent was it appears to expose problems with the current system, so would be nice if this was addressed.
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    I believe i saw someone from Guild For Testing attempting to recruit people in zone for this, offering a kuta for membership. What ever the intent was it appears to expose problems with the current system, so would be nice if this was addressed.

I heard this as well, and that they were not told the guild would be disbanded nor its true purpose. Nothing in the rules about having no morals though. Seems like guilds should follow the rules they make up for themselfs at least.

@Redmoonga
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭

Interesting. Got pics?
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭

Interesting. Got pics?

Posting pictures of chat would violate the naming and shaming rule. Are you trying to get him banned?

Pretty sneaky of you.
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭

Interesting. Got pics?

Posting pictures of chat would violate the naming and shaming rule. Are you trying to get him banned?

Pretty sneaky of you.

That's a rather convenient excuse for unsubstantiated rumor-mongering, but no, that's not how I roll. There are other avenues to share through.