The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Potential Guild Trader Exploit! Please Investigate and Fix ASAP!

• PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erasure wrote: »
    Kivisild wrote: »
    As many people replied in this forum, this will cause problems down the road. Especially over the fact that some guilds possibly intended for nobody to find out they were doing it. My opinion on the exploit stands that you can create a monopoly and as Scaena said "charge guilds a protection tax" if they wanted to keep the trader. Also speaking you can sell these Traders for real life currency which is outrageous! Now that the community is aware of the issue who knows what could happen in the future.

Come on, who has the time for that? Don't forget, you actually have to *win* the bid, as well as be willing to sacrifice the guild roster and build it again each time. Millions of gold deleted and at least 50 people sacrificing a guild slot? And for all of that, you're not even guaranteed to install your chosen group.

Whole thread full of allied gm's trying to get people scared this could be used offensively... it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics, not to mess with anyone. Chill.

Why can't we all be friends?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=W5FfJ89rGPc
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scaena wrote: »
    nooblybear wrote: »
    PathwayM wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments, however I would like to address the elephant in the room.

The screen shots in my original post were from one guild, while another guild now owns the same spot in Rawl'Kha.

I don't care who may or may not have done this and I am in no way naive to the fact that this has likely been going on for some time. What this post was intended to do was make the community aware of what can in fact happen with a broken system like we currently have. There is no arguing that a single guild now has the potential to place multiple bids on various traders because if a guild disbands then their trader becomes available for hire once again.

Please keep in mind that my original post made no mention of making an example of any guild and I explicitly left names out for reasons related to resolving the issue and not punishing people.

This method is as easy as it seems, and has very little risk involved if the second guild wins their bid (which could be for an extremely cheap price).

I understand your original intent, and it's certainly something that it would be nice to have Zenimax address.

Let's talk about the other elephant in the room: the number of people who seem to be outraged in this thread that are leaders of, officers of, or high-ranking members of guilds that are closely interlinked, the majority of which seem to be associated with the Council of Nirn (if they still call themselves that). Just by signatures alone, I've spotted the GMs and former GMs of at least four trade guilds directly associated, plus a self-described officer, and other members. This group's history with the current occupant of this trader on PC NA is well known and well-documented.

Somehow I doubt they would be quite so outraged if it was one of their own who had done something similar.

And here I thought we were trying to see if Zenimax would crown me the King Pin of Tamriel...

Could you know take the personal politics elsewhere?

Let's get back to what really matters. Tamriel Domination!

<3
    You directly claimed that people that have posted in this forum are "at war" with another guild and called out some kind of organization to which they belong. I'm pretty sure this assumption was a direct shaming as you directly described their posts as negative.

If you need further explanation you can find the definition of shaming here:

lmgtfy.com/?q=shaming

Actually, I was just stating well-documented fact. If they find this something to be ashamed off, I'm sorry they feel that way. Maybe they should reconsider their actions in the future if they are so bothered by them?

Their feelings are unknown to me. Can we get back to the original topic at hand please? :)
    Edited by PathwayM on January 23, 2017 4:02AM
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    You directly claimed that people that have posted in this forum are "at war" with another guild and called out some kind of organization to which they belong. I'm pretty sure this assumption was a direct shaming as you directly described their posts as negative.

lmgtfy.com/?q=shaming

Actually, I was just stating well-documented fact. If they find this something to be ashamed off, I'm sorry they feel that way. Maybe they should reconsider their actions in the future if they are so bothered by them?

Hmm the sneaky conspiracy obsessed side of me feels like this is to distract from the topic of the exploit... I mean wonderful new method of Tamriel Domination!

If people want to bring up some personal drama do it elsewhere. Let's focus on where we are going to hold my coronation.
    FUTURE KINGPIN OF TAMRIEL
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭

lmgtfy.com/?q=shaming

Hmm the sneaky conspiracy obsessed side of me feels like this is to distract from the topic of the exploit... I mean wonderful new method of Tamriel Domination!

If people want to bring up some personal drama do it elsewhere. Let's focus on where we are going to hold my coronation.

o:) <- closest thing I could find to represent you with a crown 0.o
    Edited by PathwayM on January 23, 2017 4:03AM
  • Kivisild
    Kivisild
    Soul Shriven
    As many people replied in this forum, this will cause problems down the road. Especially over the fact that some guilds possibly intended for nobody to find out they were doing it. My opinion on the exploit stands that you can create a monopoly and as Scaena said "charge guilds a protection tax" if they wanted to keep the trader. Also speaking you can sell these Traders for real life currency which is outrageous! Now that the community is aware of the issue who knows what could happen in the future.

Come on, who has the time for that? Don't forget, you actually have to *win* the bid, as well as be willing to sacrifice the guild roster and build it again each time. Millions of gold deleted and at least 50 people sacrificing a guild slot? And for all of that, you're not even guaranteed to install your chosen group.

Whole thread full of allied gm's trying to get people scared this could be used offensively... it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics, not to mess with anyone. Chill.

This is purely opinion based yet you are calling out GM's for trying to use this offensively? It is clearly an exploit that was used and shouldn't be in the game. However your opinion stands with you. I said it can cause future problems which it likely may considering the effect you can go with an exploit like this.

And I am sure people would go through the trouble to do this, as witnessed today. You also stated the "poorly coded guild trader" so wouldn't that mean you think it shouldn't be implemented in the game?
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow this is really bad. Here I am trying my best to start a guild trader for my very very small guild at the outskirts. Then we have these things. What if they have alt guilds that out bids all these outpost traders, basically forcing the player population to go and find things in the main city? It's a monopoly of sorts but worse, this reeks of sheer capitalism at its worse.

Very very disheartening.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • nooblybear
    nooblybear
    ✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Wow this is really bad. Here I am trying my best to start a guild trader for my very very small guild at the outskirts. Then we have these things. What if they have alt guilds that out bids all these outpost traders, basically forcing the player population to go and find things in the main city? It's a monopoly of sorts but worse, this reeks of sheer capitalism at its worse.

Very very disheartening.

Excellent point, but here's the thing that makes it worse: what does this exploit have to do with it? There's nothing to stop large guilds from bidding everywhere with alt guilds and force people in to main cities right now and in the future, without an exploit. Even if ZoS change how guild disbanding works and prevent this in the future, it can still be done.
    AddOn Developer - RIP Akaviri Union (PC-NA)
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭

Very very disheartening.

Don't worry if Zenimax allows this I will invite you to join my cartel :) I'll give you a good weekly rate for the protection charge.

All the small guilds will fall under my banner... whether they want to or or not!
    Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 4:11AM
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭

Very very disheartening.

Excellent point, but here's the thing that makes it worse: what does this exploit have to do with it? There's nothing to stop large guilds from bidding everywhere with alt guilds and force people in to main cities right now and in the future, without an exploit. Even if ZoS change how guild disbanding works and prevent this in the future, it can still be done.

I imagine because having traders you can use as backups or even sell is a much bigger incentive then shutting down small time traders that don't really hurt the big guild traders sales anyways.

For myself, why would I waste my time building an empire of worthless stalls if I couldn't sell them to other guilds?
    Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 4:10AM
  • Dolgubon
    Dolgubon
    ✭✭✭✭

Very very disheartening.

What would be stopping them is the massive cost, and the 50 members minimum to bid. Even if a lot of guilds banded together, they'd have to get a lot of alt guilds, and they'd have to bid a respectable amount in all those places, including the cities. Trade guilds require a LOT of gold, and most guilds won't have enough income to do it.
    Relthion: CP810 DK Tank - vMOL HM, vHOF HM, vAS HM, vCR +2
    Malorson: CP810 Mag Sorc - vMOL HM, vHOF, vAS HM

Addons:
    Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter
    Dolgubon's Lazy Set Crafter
  • PathwayM
    PathwayM
    ✭✭✭✭

Very very disheartening.

That behavior would cost a single guild far more money because they would effectively have to win every single bid they make. The exploit described in this thread would only require them to win one location. What you described is not feasible because no single guild can afford to maintain n number of guild traders. Many guilds can afford to maintain one; especially when they get it deeply discounted because of an exploit.
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭

This is purely opinion based yet you are calling out GM's for trying to use this offensively? It is clearly an exploit that was used and shouldn't be in the game. However your opinion stands with you. I said it can cause future problems which it likely may considering the effect you can go with an exploit like this.

And I am sure people would go through the trouble to do this, as witnessed today. You also stated the "poorly coded guild trader" so wouldn't that mean you think it shouldn't be implemented in the game?

People in this topic trying to scare others into believing in offensive uses != guilds ingame trying to use offensively, don't misquote me.
    Thinking the bidding system is a patch job that needs an overhaul != supporting an AH, don't misconstrue my words. See here.
    A guild bought a trader, paying more than anyone else, and did what they wanted with it.

What's the issue? That you guys didn't manage to hire it?
    Edited by Erasure on January 23, 2017 4:17AM
  • Dolgubon
    Dolgubon
    ✭✭✭✭

Very very disheartening.

That behavior would cost a single guild far more money because they would effectively have to win every single bid they make. The exploit described in this thread would only require them to win one location. What you described is not feasible because no single guild can afford to maintain n number of guild traders. Many guilds can afford to maintain one; especially when they get it deeply discounted because of an exploit.

Technically they did get it discounted, but in reality they didn't, since they would have to bid a reasonable amount on the test guild to win.
    Relthion: CP810 DK Tank - vMOL HM, vHOF HM, vAS HM, vCR +2
    Malorson: CP810 Mag Sorc - vMOL HM, vHOF, vAS HM

Addons:
    Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter
    Dolgubon's Lazy Set Crafter
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    Dolgubon wrote: »

Very very disheartening.

Technically they did get it discounted, but in reality they didn't, since they would have to bid a reasonable amount on the test guild to win.

You hear that everyone! It's your fault that a big guild bid on multiple Trader Stalls! It's your fault for bidding too low and being too small!

If that makes you angry, good!

Come join my cartel and be part of the winning side! We'll take over Tamriel and kick out all the large guilds with our sheer numbers!

Join now!

P.S. You must refer to me as the King Pin!
    Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 4:23AM
  • Kivisild
    Kivisild
    Soul Shriven

People in this topic trying to scare others into believing in offensive uses != guilds ingame trying to use offensively, don't misquote me.
    Thinking the bidding system is a patch job that needs an overhaul != supporting an AH, don't misconstrue my words. See here.
    A guild bought a trader, paying more than anyone else, and did what they wanted with it.

What's the issue? That you guys didn't manage to hire it?

The issue is the fact that people are using an unfair exploit to gain a guild trader and do nothing with it. What's the point? Also you said I "misquoted" you, so I will proceed to copy and paste it so I don't get it wrong, " it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics." (Erasure, 2017, Pg.2). You noticed that the trader is poorly coded which means it should be fixed.

I appreciate your opinion however, and see where you're coming from, even if nobody here agrees with it.

People in this topic are also not "using this to scare others" the people are using this to get the exploit out in the open and let the entire community know what the issue at hand is. So what is wrong with that?
  • J2JMC
    J2JMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldnt need a trade guild to have convenient access to consumers in the first place...

Honeslty trade guild system is just designed to screw the consumer anyway. Especially on console where there is no master merchant add-on.
    Edited by J2JMC on January 23, 2017 4:27AM
    Knee Jerk, L2P, Obtuse, Casual, Entitled, All The Best, unnecessary mention of CoD

Battle leveling for pve content defeats the idea of progression. Remove CP

"Apparently the players are more informed than we are"-Richard Lambert

• nooblybear
    nooblybear
    ✭✭✭
    The issue is the fact that people are using an unfair exploit to gain a guild trader and do nothing with it.

You obviously haven't even read this post. There was no unfair exploit used to gain the trader in the first place. The trader was gained legitimately, and then disbanded. Another trading guild then hired the spot for 10,000g, as is standard when there's an empty trader.

The "exploit" here was that the guild which hired in the first place was empty, was then disbanded, and was put in place by the second trading guild as they had, due to a bug, been locked into bidding in another place.

• calia1120
    calia1120
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to comment on what @nooblybear said about the Council of Nirn, since I'm a part of it, and I welcome discussions about it, but it's not the cartel that's being implied.

Council of Nirn is a group of over 70 members from 50+ guilds, addon developers, content streamers and community contributors, from both the North American and European servers. Our primary purpose is contributing feedback to ZOS for the improvement of the game.

councilofnirn.com/
    councilofnirn.com/about-us/
    councilofnirn.com/about-us/history-of-council-of-nirn/

Feel free to message me if you'd like any more information.

GM, Iron Bank of Bravos | The Psijic Order | Mara's Tester/Mara's Moxie | Dominion Imperial Guard
    Council of Nirn | elderscrollsalliance.com | Addon Dev - part of the Wykkyd code team
  • Kivisild
    Kivisild
    Soul Shriven
    The issue is the fact that people are using an unfair exploit to gain a guild trader and do nothing with it.

You obviously haven't even read this post. There was no unfair exploit used to gain the trader in the first place. The trader was gained legitimately, and then disbanded. Another trading guild then hired the spot for 10,000g, as is standard when there's an empty trader.

The "exploit" here was that the guild which hired in the first place was empty, was then disbanded, and was put in place by the second trading guild as they had, due to a bug, been locked into bidding in another place.

"Due to a bug."
  • nooblybear
    nooblybear
    ✭✭✭
    calia1120 wrote: »
    I'd like to comment on what @nooblybear said about the Council of Nirn, since I'm a part of it, and I welcome discussions about it, but it's not the cartel that's being implied.

The comments about cartels were coming from someone else. I merely pointed out that the majority of posters on the first page of this thread were the GMs, former GMs, or officers of trade guilds associated with the Council of Nirn. Considering the original split in this group (when it was Direnni Dynasty) was surrounding the guild currently on Ronuril, there certainly seemed to be a conflict of interest.

• Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭

That's up for debate noob. We'll have to wait on zenimax to see whether they consider it an exploit of The Trader System or not.

You should however be able to admit that Zenimax never intended for large guilds to be able to bid on multiple spots each week and reserve backups for themselves. That just undermines the system though it does open the possibility of Tamriel Domination!

Also let's be honest, nobody believes for a second the old "it's a bug" excuse. You report it to Zenimax and at worse you bid on that one trader for a week. However I don't care care about them. If they really want to push it was a one time thing then nobody should have a problem with fixing the exploit.

Unfortunately that would ruin my plans for taking over all the traders and making the trade community kneel to my rule.

Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 4:35AM
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭
    What Exploit?
    Edited by redmoonga on January 23, 2017 4:40AM
  • nooblybear
    nooblybear
    ✭✭✭
    Also let's be honest, nobody believes for a second the old "it's a bug" excuse. You report it to Zenimax and at worse you bid on that one trader for a week.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Every trade guild GM, former, current, etc, and officer, either has been affected by this bug or knows someone who has been affected by it. This is not up for debate. It has been reported to Zenimax many, many times, including by myself, directly to ZoS staff members during a voice Feedback meeting.

So far they have done nothing about it.

• Artmetis
    Artmetis
    ✭✭✭

That's the point, an exploit was used, intentionally, to ensure one guild could bid in many spots at once. This is expressly against Zos's design. We have a unique system of trading in ESO, this was intentionally created by the Devs. With this exploit, we now can create an 'Auction House' and drive most of the traffic to specific large guilds. AkA Sceana's Cartel. Hey Sceana, ya still hiring? :)
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    Also let's be honest, nobody believes for a second the old "it's a bug" excuse. You report it to Zenimax and at worse you bid on that one trader for a week.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Every trade guild GM, former, current, etc, and officer, either has been affected by this bug or knows someone who has been affected by it. This is not up for debate. It has been reported to Zenimax many, many times, including by myself, directly to ZoS staff members during a voice Feedback meeting.

So far they have done nothing about it.

Sigh... you really want to push that they were somehow being forced to bid on a bugged trader for weeks? Or admit that once they did that bid it would have hurt them for only one week until bids reset on a Sunday night.

That their only choice was an exploit?
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    Artmetis wrote: »

That's the point, an exploit was used, intentionally, to ensure one guild could bid in many spots at once. This is expressly against Zos's design. We have a unique system of trading in ESO, this was intentionally created by the Devs. With this exploit, we now can create an 'Auction House' and drive most of the traffic to specific large guilds. AkA Sceana's Cartel. Hey Sceana, ya still hiring? :)

Depends... all who work for me must refer to me as "The King Pin"

• Artmetis
    Artmetis
    ✭✭✭
    So i was thinking Scaena, what if I take the EP territory, you take the AD, and we get another partner to control the west side? Err i mean DC? Anyone else wants in? Psssttt... I may, or may not, have Skooma and Moonsugar, just whisper the password.
  • redmoonga
    redmoonga
    ✭✭✭

They created the guild for the sole purpose of exploiting the system. They have said so.

@Redmoonga
    Edited by redmoonga on January 23, 2017 5:39AM
  • NerdyHayseed
    NerdyHayseed
    ✭✭
    " it seems it was used to avoid a prime trade guild being screwed for a week in a bad spot due to poorly coded trader mechanics." (Erasure, 2017, Pg.2).

Oh didn't realize that "prime" trading guilds didn't have to play by the same rules and suffer the same consequences. Win a bid, lose a bid. No guild is entitled to a certain spot, whether they are a "prime" guild or not. So, creating a dummy guild to bid on 2 stalls is exploiting the system. Congratulating them for their cleverness and berating those who question it doesn't change that. If a player is only allowed to do "x", but figures out a way to do "x, y and z" to bypass or overcome some coding, it's an exploit, is it not?
    Edited by NerdyHayseed on January 23, 2017 4:51AM
  • Scaena
    Scaena
    ✭✭✭
    Artmetis wrote: »
    So i was thinking Scaena, what if I take the EP territory, you take the AD, and we get another partner to control the west side? Err i mean DC? Anyone else wants in? Psssttt... I may, or may not, have Skooma and Moonsugar, just whisper the password.

Sounds interesting... just remember nobody leaves the family. Once you are in, you are in for life!

We are going to re-shape Tamriel and nobody can stand in the way of our coming Domination.

All gold shall flow to us. We will become the unstoppable spear striking down all who get in our way. Our alt guilds will be the great wave that sweeps aside all that came before.

All guilds will bow to us or forever be banished to the moon sugar mines!

P.S. You must refer to me as the "King Pin"
    Edited by Scaena on January 23, 2017 4:58AM