The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which gender do you choose to play in-game and why?

Naughty_Ryder
Naughty_Ryder
✭✭✭
Curiosity killed the cat! o:)
Edited by Naughty_Ryder on December 26, 2016 10:56AM
Fairies are invisible and inaudible like angels. But their magic sparkles in nature.

- I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Which gender do you choose to play in-game and why? 1410 votes

Male
28%
MorbashCavalryPKthesilverball_ESOwolfdoggie_ESOchuck-18_ESOSolarikenDeathStalkerVisigothStorm_knight22RiptideSunraljb2k5_ESOArtisCaligamy_ESOWhitePawPrintssParkSnareWicked_WolfBowserAlMcFlydaryl.rasmusenb14_ESO 401 votes
Female
31%
laurajfTabbycatConduit0MoiskormoimiLotkaCasterialsmilingmaybenexxus_ESOk9mouselordspyderAvidsparkNewBlacksmurfCheveyoVirtualElizabethKovaBeavisanCpt_TeemolygerseyeHanokihsBlackSparrow 449 votes
Both
39%
NestorGrunimSirAndydriosketchSorianaTsutewayfarerxFat_Cat45KikazaruElder_Martinvailjohn_ESODanaDarkElventKrucidjsarthur_ESOXexpoUriel_Nocturnea25aco_ESOKochDerDamonenAlchemical 560 votes
  • Naughty_Ryder
    Naughty_Ryder
    ✭✭✭
    Female
    I like to immerse myself in-game by trying to place my IRL self into the game. :)
    Fairies are invisible and inaudible like angels. But their magic sparkles in nature.

- I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    Female
    Because I am one and never felt comfortable playing a male character. Except when I can't help it, like in many single-player games.
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female
    Because I am one and never felt comfortable playing a male character. Except when I can't help it, like in many single-player games.

Pretty much the same for me, I just can't put myself into a male character, feels weird.
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both
    Both. Depending on the character concept i am creating.
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female
    Female because i am one.
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male
    Men can be sexy too, yo.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male
    I play male because I think armour looks better on him than a female and also manly battle cries!
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Wise_Will
    Wise_Will
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male
    Male, because i am a Male.
    XBOX EU/PC EU
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Both. Just depends more on the race and build I'm after. for example, if I'm making a Bosmer, I opt for female as I think the male templates are a bit meh, whereas I think the Altmer males look better than the female templates.
  • Shogunami
    Shogunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Male
    Male because man.
    -
    "I think Orcs first turned a bear head into food because it looks amazing." -Orzorga.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female
    Being a Male, Females are more interesting to me as i stand outside the window looking in. I get to experience visual scenarios of girls in various situations and scenery that in real life are otherwise restricted to my gender and manly perspective. In the game i get to immerse in the perspective of a female.

....also girls are nice to look at.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female
    cause I am one.... I can't get into games where I have to play a guy unfortunately....
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female
    Back in DAoC the Kobold female models were slightly slimmer than their male counterparts. Ever since i´ve stuck to playing my main as a female mage with the same name.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male
    Dude playing dudes. I am one.

Rare exceptions. One game when I couldn't cos the class I liked was female only. One game (LOTRO I think) when I couldn't make a male elf that didn't look piteously deformed. Though I think I gave up on my lady elf pretty quickly and played a boring old human instead.

It sucks that that's still so prevalent.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both
    Previously in stand-alone games I always played male as I am one, however, with all the alternate toons in the MMO, I went ahead & created chars both as male and female, and in various clases/races/alliances, for the variety

• Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Female
    Usually Female. It just feels strange to play male characters. Although I am thinking about making a male character for a Fallout 4 playthrough as I have heard the NPC's react differently.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male
    I have characters of both genders but since I only play my main I voted male.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Female
    I play my own gender in all games if the game lets me.
  • LadyHeloise
    LadyHeloise
    ✭✭✭
    Both
    Both, as it depends on the idea for the character. I am female and until recently had only played females, but then I wanted to create a character that just would not work well unless he is male (a big beefy biker type who heals), so that's what I made and he is fun to play. And he's nice to look at :smile:
    PC-EU.
  • kwisatz
    kwisatz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Female
    I like to immerse myself in-game by trying to place my IRL self into the game. :)

This. :)
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both
    My magicka characters are female.
    My stamina characters are male.

Pretty conservative, yeah I know... it's just that it's how I like them :D
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male
    Because I am
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Male
    Male , because Female walk and run oddly in this game.
    Edited by Apherius on December 26, 2016 11:58AM
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both
    As others have said, it depends on the character I want to play in game and what I want to achieve. Moreover, I don't pick one over the other because I want to play a stereotypical hyper masculine or sensitive feminine role (to each their own, but not my thing). My Breton male is old, bad tempered, sickly, yet deeply spiritual. My Orsimer female is a metalsmith, likes drinking and dishing it out to anyone who picks fight with her. As for my Bosmer, she's slightly eccentric and fond of books.

Looks do come into it, though they're not nearly as important; I don't care for buff males and i'm not interested in overly pretty females.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female
    I play whatever gender looks better for the race I want to play. In ESO I mainly play khajiit and they look better as female.

I also like to make my characters as good looking as possible and as a male I find it easier to make females good looking since I know what I find attractive.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both
    I play both. I don't make characters that look like me because to play the game they have to do things I would never do (like kill people), so therefore they can't be me and making them look like me seems pointless.

Instead I come up with a concept for a person who can fit the role in the story and match their race, appearance, gender etc. to it.

The interesting thing for me is that many different characters can fit the same role in the story.

One of mine is a young Breton woman who ran away from home to avoid being married off to some boring merchant lord and thought she could take on the Worm Cult alone and got herself killed then set out to try again. Another is an old semi-retired Imperial soldier who was grabbed while stumbling home drunk from the pub and now he's out for revenge. A third is a khajiit woman who left home when the Dominion showed up and is now set on fighting against pretty much anyone she sees as causing unwanted trouble for other people. And so on.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both
    Tabbycat wrote: »
    Usually Female. It just feels strange to play male characters. Although I am thinking about making a male character for a Fallout 4 playthrough as I have heard the NPC's react differently.

Ironically, (the original) Fallout was when I started playing female characters, because you would get different dialog interactions, and quest options.
  • Delta1038
    Delta1038
    ✭✭✭
    Male
    Pretty much the same as OP, I am a guy therefore I play as I guy. I like to RP what I would do in such a situation and that is the one thing I don't have to think about.
    Xbox One NA
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Both
    In this game I play both. In single player games I usually play males only, especially if it's a game I can mod. I like a nice man to look at! In this game I like the variety of both genders.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both
    I play both, creating and design are part of my interests in games like this. Even in solo games I will happy play either as long as the character is created well and intriguing, like the Lara Croft reboot or Geralt.
This discussion has been closed.