Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Elk mount not an elk!

Cavedog
Cavedog
✭✭✭✭✭
What gives ZOS? There are accurate illustrations of elk roaming the countryside in Wrothgar and other areas of Tamriel. Why didn't ZOS use that illustration for their elk mount?

What ZOS gave us is a reindeer with elk antlers. The body, especially the head, is way out of proportion, and the rump and head on elk is much darker. The legs are longer on an elk, and the body is not as compact on an elk. Why ZOS? Why!?!

I'm still happy to have the new mount, but I'm wondering why ZOS went with a substandard animation when they already had it right with the elk they already had.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like an elk to me.

deer-differences.gif
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause then they'd be accused of laziness if they made it identical.

ZOS has standards, dammit!

Edited by Taylor_MB on December 22, 2016 4:02PM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a remodelled horse lmao, as if the horse wasn't ugly enough already
    And fyi elk antlers bend backwards, they don't curve like the mount's
    stam scrub
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are different species of elk that have different characteristics in their antlers, as well as extinct species that varied greatly.

Additionally Tamriel is a made up place, with made up things in it, and Tamrielian elk could be different than what we see in the real world...

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I know is they missed an opportunity to make a moose mount.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »

Id love to see a bunch of Moose running around. Mooses? Meece? Moosi?? Whatever!
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Id love to see a bunch of Moose running around. Mooses? Meece? Moosi?? Whatever!

syhnwug1k131c64.jpg
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    What gives ZOS? There are accurate illustrations of elk roaming the countryside in Wrothgar and other areas of Tamriel. Why didn't ZOS use that illustration for their elk mount?

What ZOS gave us is a reindeer with elk antlers. The body, especially the head, is way out of proportion, and the rump and head on elk is much darker. The legs are longer on an elk, and the body is not as compact on an elk. Why ZOS? Why!?!

I'm still happy to have the new mount, but I'm wondering why ZOS went with a substandard animation when they already had it right with the elk they already had.

It also has to look good when someone is sitting on it, and this mount delivers on that where the wolves do not.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks close enough to me. The horses, on the other hand... You wanna talk about leg proportions on those? :s
  • czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Looks close enough to me. The horses, on the other hand... You wanna talk about leg proportions on those? :s
    The elk has the same extremely angled legs
    stam scrub
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people will complain about anything. Yeah, that's the big problem in ESO, my elk has funny legs...
  • Nocturnalan
    Nocturnalan
    ✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    There are different species of elk that have different characteristics in their antlers, as well as extinct species that varied greatly.

Additionally Tamriel is a made up place, with made up things in it, and Tamrielian elk could be different than what we see in the real world...

My thoughts exactly.
    Templar Healer PVP/PVE
    Stam/Mag Warden PVP
    MagSorc PVP
    XB1 NA 1100+CP
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people will complain about anything. Yeah, that's the big problem in ESO, my elk has funny legs...

On the other hand, if this is the big problem for them in ESO, that is a good thing. :smile:
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It also has to look good when someone is sitting on it, and this mount delivers on that where the wolves do not.
    Haha, I don't get why people would buy the wolf mount. It's so out of proportions. But to be honest I couldn't care less about all these ridiculous mounts. The senche tiger is cool though, and has some background in the lore.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    Haha, I don't get why people would buy the wolf mount. It's so out of proportions.

Yeah, not sure what they were thinking with the wolves. Any of the other mounts are better than all the wolves combined.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On the other hand, if this is the big problem for them in ESO, that is a good thing. :smile:

Fair point. :smile:
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

On the other hand they did take the time to make the event buffs run when you log off, because someone might stack them.

Yeah that is a big problem in ESO, someone might get a buff, log off. Then months later log back on and get 200% experience for 2 hours.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on December 22, 2016 5:29PM
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whoa, just realized i actually want a moose not an elk.. hopefuly they'll release sometime similar to what they did with the lion mounts.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Bad_Company
    Bad_Company
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milvan wrote: »

deer-differences.gif

I now want a Moose mount. Inb4 7k crowns price-tag.
    My characters (EU PC):
    Leopardo Di-Caprio (Khajiit Templar) || Matthew Makehoney (Altmer Sorcerer) || Luck-Luster Burt (Redguard Dragonknight)
    Clint Histwood (Argonian Templar) || Martin Uber Ping (Redguard Sorcerer) || Louis Farmstrong (Imperial Nightblade)
    Anthony Hotskins (Altmer Nightblade)

• Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milvan wrote: »

deer-differences.gif

Not sure what the deer species is, but the antlers aren't correct for either whitetail or mule deer (the only species of deer in North America).

The main stem of the antlers go forward and out with the tines going up on the deer here.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The elves in this game don't look like IRL elves either.
    PC EU
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The elves in this game don't look like IRL elves either.

That's ok, they got the orcs spot on.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • czar
    czar
    ✭✭✭✭
    My point is that it's a very ugly mount for a very high price, and there's no point spending any amount of money on a purely cosmetic item if it doesn't even look nice
    stam scrub
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elk mount seems extremely low resolution to me, too.

For $35 bucks I expect a LOT more. Will not buy.
  • Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

MOOSEN! I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much, moosen. Out in the woods—in the woodes—in the woodsen. The meese wantin' the food. Food is to eatenesen! THE MEESE WANT THE FOOD IN THE WOODENESEN! THE FOOD IN THE WOODYENESEN!
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on December 22, 2016 9:22PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »

You ah...have a little something on your nose there.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Bumblebeelzebub
    Bumblebeelzebub
    ✭✭✭
    This looks more like a svelte caribou to me.

Incidentally, Svelte Caribou is my pron name.

Edit: Nope. It looks more like an elk than a caribou. My bad:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVL3MYasc-k
    Edited by Bumblebeelzebub on December 22, 2016 9:40PM
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MOOSE AND AN ELK?

In Alaska I lived on a moose path. Tourists very often said hilarious things when attempting to pluralize the word "moose."

In Yukon Territory, Canada, way way up north I challenged a herd of reindeer to a fight. They ignored me.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cause it's suppose to be a reindeer... but that's against lore.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Atro Elk, limited time only $50 coming soon.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK