The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A question from an occasional healer to you DPS guys

Lumsdenml
Lumsdenml
✭✭✭✭✭
In your typical 4 person dungeon, what percentage of the overall group's damage do you expect the healer to do?
Edited by Lumsdenml on December 22, 2016 6:50AM
In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
Obituary:
RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP

A question from an occasional healer to you DPS guys 64 votes

25% Everyone needs to pull their weight
9%
lolo_01b16_ESOGilGaladUranamorCîanaiSkinzzNativeJoe 6 votes
12% Not their main job, but expect them to do some damage
29%
JkahrrRadnarDschiPeuntStillianEdziuAuricleApheriusRebornV3xTheHeroQueenpod88kkDankstakylewwefanEsoReconakl77mad0ni0nUphzbjlaxEmothicSkylarkXSpacehead 19 votes
0% That's what I'm here for, just heal me!
46%
Lightspeedflashb14_ESOanitajoneb17_ESOCronopolyczarUranamorhondelinkAshtarisRawstbantad87SunfireKnight86MissBizzDracindoTyrion87MattT1988RoninDerRoteBandit1215xRichh94PuzzlenutsjeedrzejLluanda 30 votes
Other (comment below)
14%
Elara_Northwindfailkiwib16_ESOfioskalLumischroed360ListerJMCbebynnagGlaiceanaNidro 9 votes
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you even measure that? Monsters die, players alive: Job done! It's as easy as that.
  • schroed360
    schroed360
    ✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    I want ( not want but like it) them to make indirect damage ie buff group dps ( combat prayer+ aether debuff + Spc+ Horn represent à lot of damge if the 2 DD are good) . Why because doing that let the healer time to heal and provide ressources .
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roles:
    • DPS: Deal tons of damage. Kill everything ASAP.
    • Tank: Take all damage and simply staying alive to keep taking the damage.
    • Healer: Ensure the above roles stay alive, just chill in the back and don't get focused.

I don't get why this question is being asked, I mean, I don't expect a healer to deal as much damage as a DPS. You choose healer? Okay, make sure we don't die. You choose tank? Okay, go in first and don't die. You choose DPS? Okay, get rid of these pests before the tank dies.
  • Nidro
    Nidro
    ✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    Honestly, you CAN Play Setups where you do good damage while having super nice Regeneration to heal every damage that Comes in.

For example you Play Lich resto - 4x Body Lich
    2x Kag's Hope sword sharpened, 3x Body,
    + willpower Jewellry

This Setup i recommend for People that wanna be a good healer but not have Access to good support sets (see below)

best way to Play a healer:

5 Piece Spell power Cure, 5 Piece Infallible Aether, Dragonstar Arena master Resto Staff, and either a Maelstrom Arena Resto Staff or a Destro Staff(any)

with this Setup you really NOT NEED to do any damage, as you will buff your DD's damage for up to 50% while using warhorn + aether + spc + combat prayer.

So it depends which sets you have and which not.

i did good damage that time with my healer with that first Setup, but its less dmg than increasing my DD's damage by using the second setup's sets and skills ;-P

- Champion Rank 1080 -

Argonian Warden Tank - Never-Fights-Alone
    Highelf Sorcereress - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Highelf Templar - Magicka DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Imperial Dragonknight - Tank - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Khajiit Nightblade - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Redguard Templar - Stamina DD - Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Darkelf Nightblade - Magicka DD - Voice of Reason
    Imperial Sorcerer - Stamina DD - The Flawless Conquerer
    Redguard Dragonknight - Stamina DD
    Argonian Templar - Healer - Heals-all-Allies -
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not mad at healers who "just" heal, that can be hard enough, depending on the fight and group behavior. However, to make me happy, a healer should cause at least 25% of the group dps.
    But reaching that isn't as hard as you may think:
    8% combat prayer + 8% aether + 3-5% SPC + ~5% Warhorn + ~2% PotL / Crushing enchant
    This will add ~25% to the group dps without even supporting anyone with ressources or casting a damage skill.
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on December 22, 2016 10:17AM
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't expect a healer to deal dmg at all. Well, if they can while keeping everyone alive, sure that's great. But remember that if someone dies because you want to dps instead of healing that is your fault as a healer. Everyone should do their job and do it right. There is a reason why there are two DDs in a group - it's more than enough in every 4-man content.

The only contribution of a healer to DPS of the group should be when he needs to do some heavy attacks to regain his magicka. But healer's job is more complex - it's not only healing, it's also buffing other players (SPC, combat prayer etc) and debuffing bosses (elemental drain, aether etc.).
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imo the healer needs to keep up with the tank. And the tank needs to be keeping up with the healers dps.

To put a number to it. I'd say 10-25k is about what you should be doing. that a wide range, but if your doing below 10k, your holding the group back severely.

650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a healer, I only put down caltrops, purifying ritual, and shards, those are all aoe damages to mobs, easily kills mobs.
    When at boss, there usually nothing much to heal, as boss attacks are obvious and usually single target, so when nothing to heal, I attack with resto or radiation oppression, that's good damage per second.

But if the group dps are bad, then don't bother attack, cos every second is for breath of life, otherwise they are going to die, and the healer role becomes unfulfilled.
    Pc na
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sometimes dung is just to easy, you use your HOTs, mutagen, ritual etc and this is enough to keep your dps, tank alive if they know what to do and then you can help some with dps to down boss faster to faster go dung instead of slack if you want go fast this dung.

but at all also if this dung is easy and you doesnt care about done this fast you dont need to dps as healer and just chill :D
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my honest answer... I expect nothing from anyone except myself. If players aren't pulling their weight, well then we fail, someone quits, group disbands, whatever. As far as I'm concerned, every dungeon is solo.
  • fioskal
    fioskal
    ✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    I say other, because if a healer is throwing orbs, shards, etc they are gonna do some damage - more than 0% but probably less than 12%.

I would not expect them to put DPS on their bars though, or pull more than 5-10k DPS (outside of maybe some groups where the healer ends up carrying the group due to low DPS, but that's not ideal). In a decent group, a healer will be more effective buffing the DD's DPS than trying to throw out some DPS of their own outside of the usual shards and other buffs.
    -Fiona-
    PC - NA
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracindo wrote: »
    Roles:
    • DPS: Deal tons of damage. Kill everything ASAP.
    • Tank: Take all damage and simply staying alive to keep taking the damage.
    • Healer: Ensure the above roles stay alive, just chill in the back and don't get focused.

I don't get why this question is being asked, I mean, I don't expect a healer to deal as much damage as a DPS. You choose healer? Okay, make sure we don't die. You choose tank? Okay, go in first and don't die. You choose DPS? Okay, get rid of these pests before the tank dies.

Thanks for the info. It is being asked because I want to improve my roll as healer as I do more dungeons and I'm not always sure what is the "normal expectations" are of a group. I've been in some where I have not DPSed at all and was criticized for it. Then other times where I've overextended myself trying to DPS as well as heal (do my 25%) and people died. Just looking, really, for average expectations so I can adjust my strategy. :)
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you even measure that? Monsters die, players alive: Job done! It's as easy as that.

Some people like to set goals and strive to do their best, I see nothing wrong with that.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of this obviously depends on how good your DDs are. For example one of the last dungeons I did was via the group finder and we got stuck with a 3-man group. Luckily one of the DDs was very good and the other was outstanding (don't find many flawless conquerors using the group finder). I deviated from my normal pug strategy, which is DPS as much as possible without letting people die to keep combat prayer up as much as possible on the DPS. Even though we 3-manned this dungeon I did far less DPS than I normally would in a 4-man group because of outstanding DPS.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Some people like to set goals and strive to do their best, I see nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that. However the question here was what you expect of others, and then we get into things that are wrong.
    As a healer, I will as a first priority keep everyone alive, secondly buff their damage/armor, thirdly give them resources and only then when all this is taken care of will I start doing damage. (well some of those abilities do damage anyway) Most of the time everything already died by that point though. I would not change those priorities, no matter what some person with a dps meter tells me. These things are poison for team work.
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You won't reach 25% in a group with two top DDs, but at least 20% should be possible. It's easier to measure in absolute numbers, since they don't depend on your group.
    Wearing SPC and Aether you can easily pull 20-25k DPS while keeping all the buffs and debuffs up. Depending on how much support skills you have to put on your bar (e.g. If you have a tank running orbs) you have more slots for dmg. The difference between a smooth and a fast dungeon run is usually how much DPS your healer adds by both, supporting and direct DPS. A healer with good DPS can easily carry a bad DPS.
    The problem is that most healer don't realize that it is possible to heal 90% of the dungeon content with rapid regen/mutagen + purifying light + repentance. It might need a bit more attention but it definitely helps the group more than spamming healing springs 24/7.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that. However the question here was what you expect of others, and then we get into things that are wrong.
    As a healer, I will as a first priority keep everyone alive, secondly buff their damage/armor, thirdly give them resources and only then when all this is taken care of will I start doing damage. (well some of those abilities do damage anyway) Most of the time everything already died by that point though. I would not change those priorities, no matter what some person with a dps meter tells me. These things are poison for team work.

If DPS meters are poison for your group then you had a bad group. They should be there to measure individual progress and maybe for some friendly competition. Besides, this has nothing to do with DPS meters, this is about the OP getting a feel for what general standards are for healers doing DPS.

I do very much agree with your priorities though and that's really what it should be about and not aiming for a certain percentage of the group's DPS. All that is going to do is cause you to make mistakes trying to meet your DPS goal when it's not your main priority. The amount of DPS you should do as a healer is what ever you can get done while still preforming your other, more important duties.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    Personally I wouldn't mind. If you can heal, that's all that matters, if you can also do a hell load of damage and still heal the group effectively, why would I complain? :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    I think it depends on the situation and who you are playing with... If I am with friends, generally we will all dps equally, and will heal ourselves or eachother if and when it is needed, but if I am with a group I don't play with as often I will pay far more attention to healing them and only dps when I feel it is safe to do so, which obviously varies depending on who I am with and where we are :blush:

Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I should have picked other, but I think a healer should be first - to heal and ensure your team stays alives, secondly support them. Whether this be with their terrible resource management, or to help buff their DPS. THEN if you're still sitting around with everyone healed and fully buffed, do some DPS.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Vahx
    Vahx
    Healers heal, if the healer has a easy time to heal, its not bad to throw in some DoTs or buff/debuffs or a heavy attack with a wand (regens some mana too) but this should not be expected from a healer
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    << DD & Healer reporting in.
    As a support role, I change my playstyle and skills depending on what group I am with.

Do they need healing and buffing and resource management?
    Do they need healing and damage?
    Do they need damage and minimum healing?

As a DD role, I prefer dedicated healers who don't bother much with damage but prioritize buff & resource management. I wouldn't turn a healer down if they prefer to do dmg though... my only requirement is that they cast heals on the group.

I've met too many "tanks" and "healers" who thought legitimately that group content tanking and healing is having a high hp and self heals only.
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this , but 5/10 % is ok . ( only for experienced healers )
    Edited by Apherius on December 27, 2016 12:53PM
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go into dungeons with a magic templar speced for dps but I still keep everyone alive no problem.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If the healer gets 25% of the group's damage, the DDs are really, really bad.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    Healers job is not to DD,
    but if the group is all on full health, my HoT are out, my warhorn or barrier is out, my SpC is procced, all the adds have been repented, my ele drain is up, theres shards down for the tank, the orbs are out, the boss is at execute and the team is comfortable with the content then yes i will RD
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (comment below)
    As a dps I don't expect the healer to add any damage, but it's a nice bonus if they can while doing their job effectively.

When I heal, I prioritise healing because that's my job while sustaining and buffing the group. I will add dps if the group is doing fine and having no issues staying alive, so that we can get through the content quicker and I'm not standing around needlessly over-healing.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For dungeons, my (dragonknight) healer's main bar is 100% healing plus igneous shield l while my back bar is buffs/debuffs/AoEs. Warhorn on healing bar for strong dps groups, destruction ultimate on back bar for lower dps groups.

All fights, I keep rapid regeneration and igneous weapons ticking. Spell Power Cure is usually procced as well.

For trash mobs, I tend to do a lot of AoE damage while also healing.
    I keep healing springs under the bulk of the mob, elemental drain on the tankier adds if they will live long enough, pulsar up as debuff with wall of elements ticking underfoot, and position myself amid the archers to keep them interrupted with deep breath. I proc Infallible Aether on the bigger targets as well, if the fight lasts long enough, but this only happens in the very large or very tanky mob fights.

Boss fights are more about healing and buffing.
    I keep healing springs under the boss for the tank and melee dps, elemental drain on boss and anything else worthwhile, Warhorn when appropriate, and Infallible Aether always procced on everything that lives long enough. For some of my guild groups I pull out the healing orbs, other times just wall of elements underfoot. My biggest dps contributions during the low-add boss fights though are restoration heavy attacks, to keep my magicka topped off and keep Infallible Aether's proc running.

Trials are of course very different. But for dungeons, this is how I do well regardless of the dps power of the group. (If we have two high dps, the dungeon is pretty much just short boss fights,everything else just dissolves.)
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, it annoys me when the healer just stands there and waits to heal someone. Most dungeons don't even require a healer if you have a solid group. I would always dps as healer until I see someones hp dip below 75% then I'll heal. Even as a tank i would also taunt and throw attacks instead of just holding block.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Emothic
    Emothic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The healers primary focus should be healing. That's what they should always focus on, but in events where no one needs healed, or the boss is down and it's the time to dump all DPS onto the boss, then the healer should be doing damage. Everyone has a primary job to focus on, but it is also good that they have the ability to do other things. What I mean is that my character is a Nord Stamina DK tank. So I should focus on tanking, but if the boss is down or some ads are becoming too much I can switch to a DPS to help make the dungeon go a bit faster and easier. My tank also has Vigor of which I can heal allied players for 11k health over 5 seconds. So I can always throw out some... weak heals to in those moments where everyone is close to dieing to give us that few seconds so the healer can do a strong heal, as well as take some pressure off of the healer aswell and assisting them with some healing as well.

It's also good to have a character who again focuses on their main role but is capable of making up for some of the weaknesses another player will have. What I mean by this: I was playing Vet City of Ash II. We had a DPS in our group that lets say had their character completely messed up and could not DPS at all. Luckly we had a very powerfuld healer in our group. So in order to make up for that players weakness, I as the tank had to DPS in order to kill the final boss faster or we would lose all platforms. I still focused on my main role of tanking by aggroing the boss and keeping my defense buff abilities activated, but as soon as I ran through those skill cycles I immediately switch to my offensive bar and DPS as much as I could before cycling though my defensive abilities again. Even though my character does weak DPS compaired to a main role DPS character, I was still doing more damage then that player who could not.
    Lord Emothic Von Hellsing of ze Hellsing Family.
    Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact. Xbox One - NA