Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Crafters getting the shaft

mr1sho
mr1sho
✭✭✭✭✭
What's the point being a 9 trait Crafter when every BIS sets are drop sets ? Spend all your time leveling your blacksmith etc just to be put to the side I feel like one those angry guys from South Park right now yelling THEY TOOK OUR JOBS
Gold Company Commander
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    For crafting to be important in an MMO, the best items have to be crafted.

If you want to have a gear grind, then let bosses, etc, drop mats that crafters can use to make the best items. DO NOT DROP THE ITEMS DIRECTLY.

Sad how few MMO's get this right.
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    billp_ESO wrote: »
    For crafting to be important in an MMO, the best items have to be crafted.

If you want to have a gear grind, then let bosses, etc, drop mats that crafters can use to make the best items. DO NOT DROP THE ITEMS DIRECTLY.

Sad how few MMO's get this right.
    Indeed...
    lumbergh.jpg
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mr1sho wrote: »
    What's the point being a 9 trait Crafter when every BIS sets are drop sets ? Spend all your time leveling your blacksmith etc just to be put to the side I feel like one those angry guys from South Park right now yelling THEY TOOK OUR JOBS

Agree, why did i bother leveling crafting, thats how it feels like. @ZOS_RichLambert

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about you but I still get plenty of work, crafting Julianos, TBS, training gear, Seducer, Magnus, Torugs Pact, Kags....
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Blackers
    Blackers
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, i say we start to flood the forums over this in till we hear something back about changes regarding this
    MagBlade / Templar Healer (PC/EU/DC)
  • nikigwil
    nikigwil
    ✭✭✭
    Im getting plenty of requests for crafting.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i used to be a crafter like you.... till i took a chisel to the elbow....
  • shadow071179
    shadow071179
    ✭✭✭
    In time we wil get new crafting sets.

In the mean time stock up on materials.
    In Feb. you can craft your hart out on all the new stuf for Housing.
  • Metal10957
    Metal10957
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why, but this happens in every MMO I have played. Eventually there is something better than a crafter can make.
    For the Horde!
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Metal10957 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why, but this happens in every MMO I have played. Eventually there is something better than a crafter can make.

Yeah, way back in DAOC times, crafters made the best possible stuff. That's until ToA came out, with raids and lots of drops. That was the end of real crafting. Hard to believe that was almost 15 years ago, and they still haven't learned.

Ryzom is still the only game I know of where crafters make everything of real value.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    End game PVPer here, and wearing 100% drop/loot items.
  • Metal10957
    Metal10957
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot DOAC, possibly Ultima. It's been a long road since then...2D graphics and all.
    For the Horde!
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    mr1sho wrote: »

Agree, why did i bother leveling crafting, thats how it feels like. @ZOS_RichLambert

because without leveling you cannot unlock the passives that allow you to upgrade the drop sets quality for fewer tempers... duh!

The purpose of equipment crafting in 1T is mostly to upgrade the drop sets and on occasion scratch a niche with actual crafted. (At least until they get around to finishing the 1T transition with the crafter-side improvements in line with what they did for drop sets. See my sig)

Higher level crafting = better drops sets quality cheaper.

Simple.

Unlike say consumable crafting which takes as many skills but a lot less time to level and which turns out the solid, no question about it BiS over drops gear in their respective fields.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    End game PVPer here, and wearing 100% drop/loot items.

My active top chars have moved to either all drops or are eyeing that move. certainly my mag sorc on dungeon soling pledge kicks is that way now. So is a stam sorc iirc. a few others. others will follow suit when time comes.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's strange that Skyrim and ESO are polar opposites in this respect. Each game could do with the others crafting spectrum or even somewhere in the middle.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was close to dropping the crowns for the exclusive motif up now but realised that as I rarely craft gear any more it was pointless since now you just grind out the latest drop set rather than crafting anyway... what's the motif-ation to get motifs if the game is designed to make them pretty pointless?
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only end game toon I have that benefits from crafted gear is the Stam sorc (TBS)

Otherwise my crafting gear has been for leveling alts or under leveled people only

I find that sad

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tavore1138 wrote: »
    I was close to dropping the crowns for the exclusive motif up now but realised that as I rarely craft gear any more it was pointless since now you just grind out the latest drop set rather than crafting anyway... what's the motif-ation to get motifs if the game is designed to make them pretty pointless?

i did it anyway because well i have optimism that they will give us the 1T crafting uptick we need.

but the internal dialog of "i never craft anymore" esp for a mimic stone motif played out for a while before i said what the heck just do it.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• burningcrow
    burningcrow
    ✭✭✭
    Should have been a system where you can roll stats while crafting. There also should have been more buffs for provisioning. Maybe something like gem slots for armor/weapons. Even making it where you can dye clothes and sell them would have opened up a lot. Something that makes crafted items desired is needed for sure.
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been better if they had made sets craftable, with the crafting stations hidden behind the final boss of the relevant zones dungeon.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should have been a system where you can roll stats while crafting. There also should have been more buffs for provisioning. Maybe something like gem slots for armor/weapons. Even making it where you can dye clothes and sell them would have opened up a lot. Something that makes crafted items desired is needed for sure.

Egads. No. Hell no. Hell the *** no. Crafting doesn't need hard core miserable RNG like the rest of this game does.

Crafting needs end game competitive sets that are worth making. Half of these new overworld drop sets should have been new crafting locations instead of loot drops. Spinner. Spriggan. Night Mother.

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dhukath wrote: »
    It would have been better if they had made sets craftable, with the crafting stations hidden behind the final boss of the relevant zones dungeon.

We already have lots of requirements for crafting certain sets. You have to complete the Fighters Guild quest line to make Orgnum's Scales and Kagnerac's Hope, you have to complete the Mages Guild quest line for access to the stations at Eyevea (or however you spell that place), you have to pay money to be able to craft the sets in Hews Bane and Wrothgar and Imperial City and the Gold Coast. If your idea were to come to fruition it would be another example of a dungeon you would just scale down to the lowest party member to complete to get to the end to craft. That wouldn't be any fun :(
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with OP.

I loathe the farming and grinding involved with dropped sets. For the benefit of those who like that and don't want to craft, I guess it would be fine if dropped could be as good at crafted. Just don't penalize me because I prefer the crafting route for lots of good reasons.

I do farm for jewely and that is tedious enough. My char spent 3 very boring days camped at a dolman to get a proper leveled set of rings and necklace. Ugh. The only upside was that she is a healer and it provided plenty of practice and an opportunity to experiment with differing combos of healing/support skills.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Nutshotz
    Nutshotz
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH there have been a lot of games that have crafted gear for end game pve/pvp that is best, but this is game a** backwards.

pvp players should need a crafter for there gear or do it themselves or do end game pve to get the gear. not run a certain dungeon multiple times for lets say viper or a region for viper. talk about /facepalm

crafted gear should be looked at and revamped. dropped items shouldn't be 5x stronger than crafted items. hell half of the crafted gear is garbage in my opinion at least.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your idea were to come to fruition it would be another example of a dungeon you would just scale down to the lowest party member to complete to get to the end to craft.

Since One Tamriel, dungeons cannot be scaled down anymore. Everything is CP160 scaled now all the time.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    If your idea were to come to fruition it would be another example of a dungeon you would just scale down to the lowest party member to complete to get to the end to craft.

Since One Tamriel, dungeons cannot be scaled down anymore. Everything is CP160 scaled now all the time.

Ah. Ok thank you for clarifying :) I still think it would be a bad idea though :/
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I still say the best solution is to let crafters learn how to craft dropped sets by deconstructing their pieces or some other high crafting level skill similar to deconstructing.

Crafters would then have the upper hand again by being able to control the style and trait of the set pieces they craft. Maybe even 5% better stats than the drops.

It's a "if you can't beat them, join them" kind of solution. Although there would still be that pesky jewelry thing.
    Edited by Iselin on December 18, 2016 3:24AM
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has been brought up so many times and I feel ZoS has no plans to fix crafters any time soon. I mean, isn't the next balance update in like 3 months or something like that?

The issue is also that the support to change these things is very minimal. We get forum posts like these every once in a while, but when I made a video about the same issue, the support turns to hate. Could be my video, but it is also representative of the attitude around crafting. All but a few care, even though crafting is a huge part of this game.
    Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
    Twitch: Pandalius
    Beam: Pandalius
    Twitter: Pandalius
  • mlstevens42_ESO
    mlstevens42_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    In UO unless it was a recipie item the stats on crafted gear varied. That meant that you were always looking for that piece that would give you that little edge you were looking for.

You could modify gear with different mats of same type (for example wanting luck stat on an item you could use a certain type of leather or wood or metal to gain said stat on items made of leather wood metal.)

In other words they needed the crafter to craft. There were some drops one could get that were really good items yes but unless there were artifact types they could be modified by a crafter to make it better. Thus between the random stats and the ability to mod the gear crafters were useful. They really are not that useful here.

Every set crafted item of same level and type has exactly the same stat as every other one of the same type. So I make a light set of julianos at 160 cp it is the same as not only my other crafted of the same type it is also the same that of any one else of that same type.

There is no hunting out that really good tailor or smith that just seemed to have that really good stuff. There are few if any return customers cause you were the one who outfitted their other toons or best buds toons. UO had this sort of patronage, because some always seemed to have the good stuff that everyone wanted. These people were crafters in fact for some it is quite literally all they did.

I know pvp and running round killing the biggest mobs is fun for a lot of peeps but not everyone enjoys it or should say at least they do not enjoy it all of the time. Having more options on how one can play is always a good thing.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, crafters. Like its a real job anyone cant do for themselves lol.

Oh dear, the entitlement is over 9000