Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Promoting Constructive Discussion on the Forums, and Adjusting Moderation

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlanG I understand what you've been saying. I work in communications/client support myself, so I understand that there is often a lot going on behind the scenes that the customers don't know about. But it's clear that there is still a serious PR problem here on the forums.
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    Everyone on the moderation team is well-versed with ESO.

One problem, as a user, is that you do not get this impression by reading the moderators' posts.

The most friendly, supportive forums I've been on were the ones where the moderators played an active role in the community--not just posting to note disciplinary actions or a carefully-worded customer service statement... they respond to the fluff community threads like "What's your favorite XX" or "What boss did you find the hardest?" Threads that need no interaction in a moderator capacity, but nonetheless help promote a sense of community.

From my work in client support, I can tell you why: it makes the moderators people. Customers respond best when they feel they have a personal connection with you... a face, a personality. Yes, you're still representing your company and so you need to maintain a certain amount of decorum and specify when something stated is your personal opinion rather than the company's... but if you do this regularly, the community comes to understand the difference, because you are a person, not just a faceless drone of the organization you represent.

I imagine this goes doubly in your field than it does in mine. This is an entertainment forum, which means a little less decorum and officiality is excusable and, in some cases, expected. I've been a regular in entertainment-related forums where the moderators were well-respected members of the community, to the point where they had running gags based off of them (e.g., "Kita's ban-hammer makes a squeak sound when she bonks someone with it!" or "Oooh, careful what you say about *in-game race"... "Mod who plays that race" might hear you, lol!").

This is most likely a matter of changing your moderation policy, which, yeah, is no small feat. It would also be tricky to implement in the current forum environment, where your moderators are still generally seen as faceless extensions of the company. They'd have to walk on eggshells to make sure they did not misrepresent ZOS or ESO in the early days of making a change like this.

But I really think it would help your PR if the moderators were more personal on the forum. It both helps the community feel like a community, and helps the users understand where the moderators are coming from. When moderators are more personal, people know these moderators and understand what they are and are not capable of. This leads to less cries of "@Moderator, FIX THIS!" to "Hey @Moderator, have you heard about any progress on this issue?" because, when a client feels they have a personal connection with you, they tend to give you the benefit of the doubt.
    The primary purpose of the Moderators is to help maintain a safe and welcoming environment for the community to discuss the games. We aren't involved in communicating deeper game discussion, and leave those conversations to the Community Managers and Developers. We do work closely with the CMs, and we're also more involved in the support sections.

Again, there is a communication gap here, because the moderators know what and how much information is getting passed on to the people who can actually change anything, but the users do not. We occasionally see acknowledgements of problems (e.g., "We have escalated this ticket" or "We can confirm that the team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix") but these are rare considering the sheer volume of threads with genuine problems. I do understand that you cannot catch all repeat threads about an issue, nor can you say that something is being worked on when it's not, nor is it reasonable to expect the team to respond individually to hundreds of threads a day...

But it is particularly problematic when there is a "deeper discussion" of the game hot on the forum, and, when someone representing ZOS finally responds a few pages in, it's a moderator posting about how they cleaned up the thread without addressing the issue. Yes, you guys understand that the moderators are unable to comment on that sort of thing, but the general user does not. This reflects terribly on ZOS, because this very common scenario looks like ZOS is trying to censor discussion about the issue without addressing it directly, all because a moderator is doing their job.

Again, the mods who take an active part in the community are able to say things like, "Sorry guys, I don't personally know anything about this issue, but I've cleaned up a couple posts. Let's keep discussion constructive!" Because that little touch of being able to insert your person into the post makes it clear that it isn't ZOS not acknowledging the problem... it's just the mod doing what they can do.

One thing that helps is letting moderators pick their own avatars. While using the ZOS avatar as a standard staff icon helps people identify when someone is representing the company... it has the effect of people thinking that this is the company's reaction, not the moderator's. When a company avatar comes into a busy thread just to say "cleaned up the thread" that is interpreted as ZOS coming in and "cleaning up the thread"... e.g., censorship of open discussion of an issue. PR-wise, this is Very Bad. Again, personal avatars show that the moderators have personality and are people of their own.

This is all just my personal experience though, and I'm sure there are reasons for this moderation policy that I, as a user, am just not aware of. This would also not fix all the PR problems here (the trickle of developer confirmation regarding known bugs and issues is pretty thin, and improved moderation is just going to move where that communication gap is, not remove it).

I just suspect that maintaining a "safe and welcoming environment" might be easier if the moderators had more of a positive presence themselves. Let them be akin to small-town police officers... they keep the peace and maintain order, but are still willing to chit-chat about how your kids are doing over coffee at the local cafe.

Thanks for reading, anyway, if you got through all that. :)
    Edited by BlackSparrow on July 13, 2016 5:26PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to propose filtering stereotypical slang on these forums. The following words and pair of words would be censored if this happens:
    Blocking a term can create its own problems. These are often used in an inflammatory or trollish manner, but this isn't always the case, and out of the context of MMO discussion they're unproblematic.

Sorry but I must disagree. While there are some that pay no mind to terms like those it does cause more problems than anything. All 3 of those terms are used in a derogatory manner with not one single positive use. Only way Care Bear could be used positively is to talk about the old cartoon and who here is gonna discuss that lol plus that would be off topic anyway.

Stereotyping is one of the biggest social problems on this forum and it always leads to problems, which is why I proposed the filter. I mean using cuss words can oft times be less offensive depending on the word but they are filtered... so why not filter words used as demeaning slang?

I suppose carebear can be overlooked if anything because depending on how it is used can either refer to people that don't care about competition or outright call someone a pansy, the latter of which could trigger an argument where mods would need to step in. The other 2 though... Nothing but stereotyping.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on July 13, 2016 5:51PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would take it as a compliment if someone called me an elitist! Why ban a positive stereotype?
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    KramUzibra wrote: »
    I would take it as a compliment if someone called me an elitist! Why ban a positive stereotype?

Stereotyping is never positive. Ever. Also the term elitist was made for those that condescend others they consider beneath them. It is in no way used to tell someone they are a metagamer or hardcore gamer.

If knowing that you still consider being called an elitist a compliment then I pity you...
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on July 15, 2016 7:54PM
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭

Stereotyping is never positive. Ever. Also the term elitist was made for those that condescend others they consider beneath them. It is in no way used to tell someone they are a metagamer or hardcore gamer.

If knowing that you still consider being called an elitist a compliment then I pity you...

This is precisely why we shouldn't ban these words. Your personal understanding of stereotypes is not universally understood or accepted by everyone. I myself believe there can be positive and negative stereotypes. I would be proud and fully accept the term elitist. clearly you would not and that's ok.
  • Niastissa
    Niastissa
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with this forum is the mods are biased. They hand out moderations arbitrarily. They close threads rather then foster a community.

If they behaved more as community builders rather then wardens they wouldn't be resented nearly as much. As it is right now the customer service here will be the death of the company.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is precisely why we shouldn't ban these words. Your personal understanding of stereotypes is not universally understood or accepted by everyone. I myself believe there can be positive and negative stereotypes. I would be proud and fully accept the term elitist. clearly you would not and that's ok.

@ bolded letters: And that is the sad truth. Then again, some do understand it and do it anyway. Of course, it isn't just MY understanding, it's how it really is. Stereotyping is, was, and always will be controversial.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on July 15, 2016 9:07PM
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    The most friendly, supportive forums I've been on were the ones where the moderators played an active role in the community--not just posting to note disciplinary actions or a carefully-worded customer service statement... they respond to the fluff community threads like "What's your favorite XX" or "What boss did you find the hardest?" Threads that need no interaction in a moderator capacity, but nonetheless help promote a sense of community.
    I agree. Increased interaction outside of moderation is important, but also carries a risk that we'll be misinterpreted as the game developers themselves, which can cause problems. We do post in some "fluff" threads, and you'll likely see this become more common in the future.
    Niastissa wrote: »
    The problem with this forum is the mods are biased. They hand out moderations arbitrarily. They close threads rather then foster a community.
    Moderation is not done arbitrarily. If you feel there's a discrepancy in our moderation, please submit a ticket to highlight this so we can review the issue.

Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems to me that "L2P," "Git Gud," and similar comments should land a warning when not accompanied by any concrete advice on how to do so. The only reason these terms are used is to demean and lower perceptions of self-worth.

I am as thick skinned as they get and don't like the use of the terms because if directed at me, my response would surely invite a warning...

Out of curiosity, is there a method to work off warnings? For example, in most states you can have criminal offenses expunged from your record after so many years. I think it might be wise to drop a warning every 3-6 months for good behaviour.

• UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that "L2P," "Git Gud," and similar comments should land a warning when not accompanied by any concrete advice on how to do so. The only reason these terms are used is to demean and lower perceptions of self-worth.

I am as thick skinned as they get and don't like the use of the terms because if directed at me, my response would surely invite a warning...

Out of curiosity, is there a method to work off warnings? For example, in most states you can have criminal offenses expunged from your record after so many years. I think it might be wise to drop a warning every 3-6 months for good behaviour.

I hardly see those terms used seriously on these forums honestly. The only term actually thrown around seriously that actually serves as baiting is fanboy, which really needs to be dealt with honestly. Getting ridiculous quite frankly... Of course there is also still controversy between casuals and hardcore gamers with the terms "filthy casual" and "elitist" but not as bad as that whole fanboy crap.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on August 1, 2016 5:17PM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlanG, how do I or we do editing on the first main post of a discussion/thread? I know with editing of follow-on posts/comments on any discussion/thread, there's that setting icon on the upper right of the box that you click on to get edit, but no such icon or edit showing for the first or main box that starts off a discussion or topic.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlanG, how do I or we do editing on the first main post of a discussion/thread? I know with editing of follow-on posts/comments on any discussion/thread, there's that setting icon on the upper right of the box that you click on to get edit, but no such icon or edit showing for the first or main box that starts off a discussion or topic.

The icon to edit your thread's OP is next to the thread's title. You can also edit the title itself.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on August 5, 2016 10:28PM
  • Olyboi
    Olyboi
    I think they do a good job considering. We cannot have a ZOS employee on tap 24/7 at our slightest whim. They remain professional at all times despite chronic and reasonably insulting borderline abuse on here. Imagine it from their perspective for a second! I think they could give more concise updates and detail on known issues and what is being done etc. but again I can understand how business constraints and other factors affecting the work and outcome of said issue leave no avenue for them to reasonably alleviate the community from a community perspective and bias so they stay silent.

Everyone should just think before they type.

What would I think if I received this?

Everyone is human.
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    We've removed several posts from this thread. The intention of this thread is to discuss constructive discussion from the community, and some recent changes to moderation.

If you have complaints about forum moderation, please submit a support ticket, as discussed in the opening post.

If you have complaints about the game or developer interaction, please post this in a more appropriate thread. Additionally, as outlined in the opening post, it is important to keep any criticism civil and constructive.
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Removing posts because simply ESO didn't agree with them? That's censorship , plain and simple. And I am talking about an actual discussion and not trolling, flaming etc.. There needs to be a place to discuss off topic thing's , because not everyone lives or plays ESO 24/7. And I have noticed how this forum hates anyone to have an actual dialogue. People are going to be people , no matter what. And they're going to disagree and argue with each other. Because that's human nature.
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    This my response to "stereotyping" it's a part of all gaming , and if you don't like the stereotyping then you perhaps you should find a new hobby and quick? It's like that episode of South Park ,"In My safe space" [link removed do to inappropriate languge]

IF you can't stand the site of "blood" then don't swim with the sharks. And besides try playing DCUO , now that's 1,000 times more toxic then anything this game could dish out.
    Edited by ZOS_DaryaK on September 10, 2016 1:52PM
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This my response to "stereotyping" it's a part of all gaming , and if you don't like the stereotyping then you perhaps you should find a new hobby and quick? It's like that episode of South Park ,"In My safe space" [link removed do to inappropriate languge]

IF you can't stand the site of "blood" then don't swim with the sharks. And besides try playing DCUO , now that's 1,000 times more toxic then anything this game could dish out.

You could NOT be more wrong. Stereotyping is an issue both online AND in real life and nothing will ever justify it. If you condone stereotyping then it is you who needs a reality check.

On that note the whole "PC Master Race" crap is also a stereotype. I say we start having ALL stereotyping moderated here so it does not result in arguments and, of course, people getting offended. There is no such thing as a master race, be it PC or Console, because stereotyping is ******** and not cool.

#CleanUpTheToxicCancer
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on September 10, 2016 11:21PM
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Removing posts because simply ESO didn't agree with them? That's censorship , plain and simple. And I am talking about an actual discussion and not trolling, flaming etc.. There needs to be a place to discuss off topic thing's , because not everyone lives or plays ESO 24/7. And I have noticed how this forum hates anyone to have an actual dialogue. People are going to be people , no matter what. And they're going to disagree and argue with each other. Because that's human nature.
    This my response to "stereotyping" it's a part of all gaming , and if you don't like the stereotyping then you perhaps you should find a new hobby and quick?
    We don't remove content simply because it disagrees with us, or is critical - and if you look around the forums, there's a lot of disagreement out there. Critical comments are valued, but it is important that criticism be kept civil and constructive, which is why this thread was originally created. The same is true for debate, disagreement, or arguing.

Everyone is expected to abide by the forum rules. Stereotyping isn't inherently against the rules, but it's often used in a baiting or uncomplimentary fashion, and that isn't acceptable. If someone wants to over-generalize in a positive manner that's likely fine, it's when this is done negatively that there's a problem. There's a bit more wiggle room with competitive play. For example, some jokes about the various alliances in PvP may be acceptable banter, providing it's kept lighthearted.

At this point there are no plans to open an Off Topic section here. These forums are specifically dedicated to ESO discussion.

Staff Post
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alen, can we talk about necroing threads?

Recently, I have noticed that several very populare threads were comented on and locked by a mod for being necroed. One of which was the "what do you look like thread."

What I dont unerstand is, why is it a necroed thread? To me a necro is a thread that is no longer relevant. That thread in particular will never be irrelevant. Therfore, it should be just fine for a thread like that to go a month without a comment and not be considered "necroed" or "irrelevant."

On to the personal side of this. My wife and I started a thread called "Postcards from tamriel" a long time ago. The thought behind this thread was to post screenshots and a small letter about our adventures.

We are now scared to post inthis thread we have made for fear of it being locked and lost forever. If I were to post a new "postcard" it would surely get locked even though I consider the thread to still be realavant do to the fact we are still here, still playing and wanting to start posting our adventures again.

Is the amount of time between posts the only thing mods look at before locking a thread due to necro? If so, that should be changed. Why have a search bar in the forums if you dont want old threads comented on. If someone searches and finds a thread from a year ago that fits his or her issue, there should be no reason they cant go ahead and comment.

Tldr lol
    Regaurdless of time between posts, if a thread is still relevant, it should be left alone by mods. I dont think its right for mods to decide if something is relevant to the player base.

There maybe typos...I'm on my phone hah
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to think that screenshot threads aren't treated or moderated in quite the same way as those discussing topics that can and do become out of date, @Valen_Byte. I have a couple of story threads in Fiction and Roleplaying that I intend to add to as I play through the game, one of which is more established but hasn't had a new post for a while (because new puppy, sleepless nights, etc.) There's a third in the pipeline, all connected to the characters I have created and play.

I know the thread you refer to, and it would be a real shame if that couldn't be continued or added to in the way you intend.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    Recently, I have noticed that several very populare threads were comented on and locked by a mod for being necroed. One of which was the "what do you look like thread."

What I dont unerstand is, why is it a necroed thread? To me a necro is a thread that is no longer relevant. That thread in particular will never be irrelevant. Therfore, it should be just fine for a thread like that to go a month without a comment and not be considered "necroed" or "irrelevant."
    While it is perfectly fine to discuss moderation in general, if you have questions about specific situations please keep this to PM. In this case I can clarify matters: while that thread had been locked for necromancy, it was reversed shortly thereafter and is currently open.

Regarding our policies concerning necromancy, we generally lock older threads if they're outdated, or there are other active threads on the topic. This is particularly true when the person who brings the thread up doesn't add something constructive to the discussion. With some topics (like lore or community topics) the age of the thread doesn't really matter, although if there are more recent threads it may be locked and redirected. There is a lot of wiggle room here, and if you think we made a bad call please reach out to the moderator who locked the thread to make your case.

In terms of timeframe, that depends a lot on location. For an active forum, this usually means a thread that is more than 2-3 months old. With quieter sections, bumping an old thread is more acceptable, and time frame may not be considered at all, assuming it isn't outdated.

I'll also add that necromancy is not a rules violation. Rarely, people use necromancy to spam or troll, but most often no action is taken other than locking the thread and leaving an explanation.

Staff Post
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    This thread has been left open to discuss means of promoting constructive discussion, and forum moderation. Please do not use this thread to discuss the game or provide feedback. Several posts have been removed.

Additionally, if you have questions about specific moderation decisions, we ask that you PM a moderator or submit a support ticket. Please do not post such questions on this thread.

Staff Post
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Promoting hardcore fanboys ?
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭

Words have a meaning, you don't get to choose their definition and he explained the word correctly. People on this forum are far too fond of ignorance and "opinions" rather than using facts to conduct real discussions which is what I thought this thread is addressing.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    Sure would like a better explanation of the difference between constructive criticism and bashing of the game and company. Am I bashing if I offer the opinion that crown store items are a bad value? Can I say it's unethical for game changes to make it very difficult to find crown store items that are also in game, regardless of whether it's a legitimate business practice? What's the line that makes it bashing when complaining about how the customer base is treated by the company?

Adjectives, overly dramatic escalating adjectives are the line.
    :tired_face:

& if that's not your style, complain away!
    we need all the feedbacks!
    :)

& I agree that more communication & transparency from the Mod Team is always to the good.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A provoking suggestion for sure,
    but nevertheless hereby:

If a new thread has been made in the General Forum,
    but does not belong there and should have been put in another forum,
    and is moved to it.

If so,
    could you guys also remove the "insightfuls", "agrees" and "awesomes" given during the time it was in the wrong category forum.
    Simply reset all the counters of all the posts so far at zero at the moment of the movement.

In that way we will see much less forum farmers keeping such threads going on the first page of the general forum.

"I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    ... If a particular person frequently annoys you, you should also consider adding them to your ignore list.

Is it possible to place the ignore button near to their name/icon? This way a viewer can click the ignore button without having to go to the souls page and without leaving the thread they are reading.
    Taking Better Advantage of the Forums Available

We have a wide variety of forums here to help keep discussion organized, and make it easier to find topics relevant to your interest or question. However, many of these spaces are neglected in favor of simply posting in General Discussion. Before posting a thread, we ask that you take a moment to review the forums available, to see which is the best place to post it.

Some topics can fit in various forums – choose the one you feel fits it best. For example, discussion of skills and balance generally belong in Combat & Character Mechanics or PvP Combat & Skills forums. Although if you’re talking about changes on PTS, then the Public Test Server Forum would be preferable.

As part of this, moderators will now be actively moving misplaced threads they come across, in any of the forums. We’re also happy to hear any feedback on ways we can further increase organization on the forums.

Do we have a general game Feedback page. I was sent to the Bug Report page to record my feed back regarding something that resulted in a delay in progress for me. I was bullied there by viewers that claimed I had no right posting where I did...or what I did for that matter.
    Continued Discussion

We are leaving this thread open for any questions or feedback about moderation and forum organization. We’re happy to hear your thoughts on how we can keep this forum a great place to visit and participate.

However, please do not post any questions related to specific moderation actions. These will be removed. If you have questions, they should be submitted via PM, or as a support ticket.

I feel disconnected from the developers and production teams. I appreciate the opportunity to provide my opinions where I feel those thoughts will be noticed.
  • Sou_rou
    Sou_rou
    ✭✭
    Maybe just create a "Flames of Hell" section--or "Nonconstructive Criticism, Bashing, Clickbait and Flaming" section if you prefer something more staid. If a thread starts out as, or quickly descends into, whining, move it there and lock it.

That approach lets people see examples of what isn't considered constructive while keeping it out of the space where people are trying to ask questions or constructively propose solutions to problems in the game. (I'm not pretending they don't exist.)

I see some good candidates in General every time I check.
    It's easy to win forgiveness for being wrong; being right is what gets you into real trouble -- Bjarne Stroustrup

• Rockndude
    Rockndude
    Since these forums opened, we’ve worked to foster a welcoming place for the community to discuss the game, and provide feedback. We wanted to take a moment to discuss this goal in greater depth and we can maintain this. Additionally, while the Community Rules are not changing, we are making a few adjustments to how we moderate the forums.

A big part of making this community great is to remember to be constructive and respectful. We recommend reading our guide on How to be an ESO Community Hero to achieve this end. We also have an awesome group of Community Ambassadors here that help maintain the welcoming atmosphere. They do a great job helping people out and participating in discussions, and they’re worth keeping an eye on if you want to help too.

Avoiding Problems, and Keeping Criticism and Disagreements Constructive

Most problems on forums stem from a disagreement, but disagreement and debate also results in some of the most productive and engaging discussion a forum can have. To keep these on track, please keep your comments civil, constructive, and on topic.

Feedback for the game is another area that is extremely important, but can also attract problems – sometimes because it results in disagreement and debate. It is perfectly fine to critique the game, criticism is quite valuable, but as above this needs to be civil and constructive. The moderatos are here to help promote this; we have no interest in quieting any particular topic. You are welcome to post your suggestions, complaints, and frustrations – but to keep this productive it shouldn’t resort to bashing the game, devs, or members of the community.

It is important to always remain respectful when posting on the forums. You don’t have to treat everyone like a dear friend, but everyone is allowed their opinion, and it is not acceptable to attack or demean someone you disagree with. If you see someone breaking the rules, please report them rather than responding. Responding risks escalating the situation. Being provoked also doesn’t excuse breaking the rules yourself. If a particular person frequently annoys you, you should also consider adding them to your ignore list.

Changes to Moderation

We are expanding our forum’s strike system, and we will now issue three formal warnings rather than two before considering a permanent ban. Any warning may also carry with it a temporary suspension. This increase gives us more flexibility, and bring us into alignment with the BethSoft and Bethesda.net forums.

Especially egregious offences may result in one’s account being immediately banned.

If someone is banned, they are not allowed to come back with another account. If we identify an account as such, it will be closed.

If you have questions about any moderation action, or wish to appeal an action, you can PM a moderator to discuss the matter, or submit a ticket. If you're submitting a ticket, be sure to state at the beginning that your message is in regards to the forums, so it can be properly escalated.

Taking Better Advantage of the Forums Available

We have a wide variety of forums here to help keep discussion organized, and make it easier to find topics relevant to your interest or question. However, many of these spaces are neglected in favor of simply posting in General Discussion. Before posting a thread, we ask that you take a moment to review the forums available, to see which is the best place to post it.

Some topics can fit in various forums – choose the one you feel fits it best. For example, discussion of skills and balance generally belong in Combat & Character Mechanics or PvP Combat & Skills forums. Although if you’re talking about changes on PTS, then the Public Test Server Forum would be preferable.

As part of this, moderators will now be actively moving misplaced threads they come across, in any of the forums. We’re also happy to hear any feedback on ways we can further increase organization on the forums.

Continued Discussion

We are leaving this thread open for any questions or feedback about moderation and forum organization. We’re happy to hear your thoughts on how we can keep this forum a great place to visit and participate.

However, please do not post any questions related to specific moderation actions. These will be removed. If you have questions, they should be submitted via PM, or as a support ticket.

Other forums I have been a part of have had members of high esteem that are recognized become moderators under those who run the site. They organize forums better because the members regulate each other telling each other if a thread has already been created and suggesting posting there instead of creating new threads. Just a suggestion.
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    Rockndude wrote: »
    Other forums I have been a part of have had members of high esteem that are recognized become moderators under those who run the site. They organize forums better because the members regulate each other telling each other if a thread has already been created and suggesting posting there instead of creating new threads. Just a suggestion.

I have seen community moderation in other sites. As long as someone keeps the CMs or ambassadors in check to prevent them from become power happy, it does seem to work.