Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Why Call Your Characters 'Toon's?

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 80 notifications, and it's all because of this thread. :|
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use toon because it is shorter and faster to write than character, all the same to me.
  • Khajiit_Ri
    Khajiit_Ri
    ✭✭✭
    Alts and mains originated in forums and IRCP. That and pen and paper Rpg.
    Edited by Khajiit_Ri on May 27, 2016 1:49PM
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why call your toons "characters" :kiss:
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if there were cartoon-ish graphics they'd still be characters which you can shorten as well.

"Toon" just sounds silly and inaccurate.
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause it shorter than "character".

char?

Yep, I still type out char from my MUD days where character was usually abbreviated to char. When I speak it, I'll say character but when I type it, it's shortened to char.
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Lumenn wrote: »
    Back when EQ1 launched the characters looked like cartoons(at least, we thought they did, up until WOW launched.......

I played EQ from beta and don't recall the word "toon" ever being used, although I'm from the UK and I suppose it could have been a US thing like that constant reference to Chuck Norris that threw me for ages until I decided to google it and then wished I hadn't bothered.

Much like the other favoured term "rouge". I have always assumed these terms really date from the WoWification of the MMO playerbase. I certainly regard anyone using those terms as being of a certain level of age and maturity, doubtless wholly unfairly but such is the impression they give.

Rouge? Like french for red? Never heard that one. Or is that a typo that was supposed to be rogue? Not trying to be a smart a**. Genuinely curious

It's commonly (mis-)used for rogue.
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an old gaming term that has roots in the phrase "cartoon character" and was shortened to just "toon". Old games had no realism so your avatar looked like a cartoon character. I never used that term because I agree that it sounds stupid. I prefer char or character
    Edited by Asherons_Call on May 27, 2016 3:21PM
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    I use alt.

As in "alternate character".

Shorter than everything that has been previously mentioned.

Lazy FTW :mrgreen:

(side note ^ Suzie works too... from now on calling my Nord 2H giant with a beard Suzie)

Alt is an entirely different meaning than toon/char/avatar. Alt literally means a secondary character that you don't put as much time into as your main character

• GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    Back when EQ1 launched the characters looked like cartoons(at least, we thought they did, up until WOW launched.......

I played EQ from beta and don't recall the word "toon" ever being used, although I'm from the UK and I suppose it could have been a US thing like that constant reference to Chuck Norris that threw me for ages until I decided to google it and then wished I hadn't bothered.

Much like the other favoured term "rouge". I have always assumed these terms really date from the WoWification of the MMO playerbase. I certainly regard anyone using those terms as being of a certain level of age and maturity, doubtless wholly unfairly but such is the impression they give.

Rouge? Like french for red? Never heard that one. Or is that a typo that was supposed to be rogue? Not trying to be a smart a**. Genuinely curious

It's commonly (mis-)used for rogue.

Ah ok, so, same situation as the pwn, own typo. At least rouge is a word, not like pwn
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • XANTITHESISX
    XANTITHESISX
    ✭✭✭
    A term from WoW that means cartoon character.
    Cheers!

even further back for me in EQ.. we said ALT as well since it 1 syllable as well.
    Edited by XANTITHESISX on May 27, 2016 5:04PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I don't use it, I always like the term "Avatar"... I think James Cameron ruined that for me. :lol:
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »
    When the term started to being used MMOs used really cartoony graphics that's why toon was used, but that is only known by people who have been playing MMOs for a very long time.
    This is true.

Myself; I still call my characters "Characters", "Avatars", "Main", "Alt", or something such as that. I don't really enjoy the term "Toon", and never really have.

Edited by Uriel_Nocturne on May 27, 2016 6:52PM

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »
    When the term started to being used MMOs used really cartoony graphics that's why toon was used, but that is only known by people who have been playing MMOs for a very long time.
    This is true.

Myself; I still call my characters "Characters", "Avatars", "Main", "Alt", or something such as that. I don't really enjoy the term "Toon", and never really have.

Me neither @Uriel_Nocturne ... it makes me think of Roger Rabbit...

Not that I dislike Roger Rabbit, it's just a bit more goofy than I like to think my characters are.
    giphy.gif
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• TortUred_mAlice
    Assault rifles use clips not magazines.

*runs as fast as this one can to grab popcorn*
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In MMO's they are supposed to be referred to as char's not toon's...
    Edited by nimander99 on May 27, 2016 10:07PM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slang is slang. Cope.
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 8 toons. My mDK is meh main. I couldn't give 2 turtle heads if people like the term or not. Been playing since leisure suit Larry on Commodore 64. Pfft "let's all be politically correct so we don't offend people" :neutral:

Go find your safe place.
  • Mordiez
    Mordiez
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it came from UK gamers, i used to hear it on diablo1 back in '99
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    I call them chars as a group, individually I call them by name. My guildies mostly do the same.
    Edited by Jakhajay on May 28, 2016 5:23AM
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
    Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
    For Elsweyr and her people!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jakhajay wrote: »
    I call them chars as a group, individually I call them by name. My guildies mostly do the same.

Do you pronounce that as "Cars", like "Charred", or maybe like "Care"... @Jakhajay?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

Do you pronounce that as "Cars", like "Charred", or maybe like "Care"... @Jakhajay?

Charred :)
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
    Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
    For Elsweyr and her people!
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First time I ever heard toon was that lame toon town game... I use character
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't we all be calling them "Vestiges" though?

I think I'm gong to start using Vestige.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I call them "chars" (short for characters). As for "toons", personally I hate that particular slang...sounds like it's short for "cartoon" characters, I like to think it's probably because back in the day the people calling them "toons" played horrible games with horrible graphics that made their chars look like cartoons.
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got 8 toons. My mDK is meh main. I couldn't give 2 turtle heads if people like the term or not. Been playing since leisure suit Larry on Commodore 64. Pfft "let's all be politically correct so we don't offend people" :neutral:

Go find your safe place.

Aren't you just the coolest? No need to get all defensive over other peoples opinions.
  • milkbox
    milkbox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear "chars" in my head the way someone would say "cars" with a heavy Bostonian accent.
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

English not being my native language, I hear it in my head with a "sh" sound (equivalent to "ch" in Portuguese), "shars", rhyming with "cars".

In voice chat, I just say "characters" to avoid sounding too much like an idiot by mispronouncing "chars".
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    milkbox wrote: »

I hear "chars" in my head the way someone would say "cars" with a heavy Bostonian accent.

... Why would you even think of saying it any other way than the complete word shortened?
  • milkbox
    milkbox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyx2 wrote: »
    milkbox wrote: »

... Why would you even think of saying it any other way than the complete word shortened?

Because Gidorick suggested "Charred" or "Care"- neither of which have the right vowel sound. I agree with you, but his question made me think that maybe people pronounce it differently.

This discussion has been closed.