Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Why Call Your Characters 'Toon's?

• Chaquinho89
    Chaquinho89
    ✭✭✭
    The characters are mine, I can call them Donald Trump if I want to... xD
    PC / NA.

"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. but without the Hero, there is no Event." -- Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    Once again, he said nothing about your rights, just your qualifications.

He actually did tell me I have no rights to comment on something.

No he didn't. He said you aren't qualified. He has as much right to make that satement as you have to make any other.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Show me exactly what quote he said that shows this, otherwise no he didn't.

*** you said,he didnt say I had no right.However,

Show me exactly what quote he said that shows this, otherwise no he didn't.

Naah.You're right.I took it wrong.
    It's my fault.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the term "characters" because I associate "toon" with a more World of Warcraft-y silliness that doesn't quite fit ESO.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    TieFighter wrote: »
    TieFighter wrote: »
    TheSpin wrote: »
    Trayzard wrote: »
    toon? Never heard of that. Only know "twink" and "alt"

Huh? A "twink"? Isnt that a term for a certain part of this generation?

Twink also comes from Everquest and refers to a new character that is given superior gear by your high level. Alts may or may not be twinks depending on their gear.

Ah, I remember lol. Everyone hated them at first as cheaters, then it became the norm...

not everyone, only the weak players, it became the norm when the petty complainers finally grasped the simple idea of getting a main before you dabble in other classes. rerolling classes and playing them to the best of your ability is part of learning the mechanics of a game.

I'll have to disagree with ya on that one. A lot of people(with maxed out mains) thought you should start the character and earn it separately rather than have GOD armor and weapons handed down by a "benevolent uncle" making things trivial. Personally I wasn't a fan of suffering through the early stages over and over purely for rp reasons.

well then, it almost sounds like you never played in firiona vie server where raid drops are not no trade or bound and can be sold or been in a good guild where people throw upgrades at you. my main was a warrior in the year 2000 and after establishing him i rolled a sk and twinked him and every other class i rolled after that. its what people did since 99. what sucked was the twinked toons who had all the good gear but didnt know their class or role. twinks in general werent the problem they were a solution to low level groups.

Nope. My (ex) wife and I had created a couple on fv but never went far. And yes, I agree the twinks that plowed through and didn't learn their class drove me nuts(also had a warrior until hybrids got our defense. Rolled an ikky monk and never looked back.

gotta love them ikkys, ikky sk ftw... although i always felt more secure with a warrior in the grp over a sk or pally
    Da'Hui DC imperial mage dragonknight(retired but retained)
    Hand Saryn Valor EP dunmer templar(mage/healer)
    Pergan Asuul AD dunmer dragonknight(dps firemage)
    Mi'Mosa EP imperial nightblade(stamina)
    Limu'Kai EP Sahxleel dragonknight(vampire mage)
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The term goes back to WoW because that game models looked like a cartoon character, so that term stuck. I prefer the term Char, instead of toon.
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    The term goes back to WoW because that game models looked like a cartoon character, so that term stuck. I prefer the term Char, instead of toon.

It's older than that
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • Hamrb
    Hamrb
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe there was a free to play game called "Toon Town" I'm not gonna claim the use of the word toon was invented there, but I'm guessing it was a regular way to speak about your own character.
    Anyways, does the word toon bother you that much? haha. I for one am lazy, I want less buttons to press haha, so imo toon>character
    Founder of Sheogorath's Mortals NA PC

Exiled Lannister EP Sorc dps
    Hamrb EP Temp healer or dps
    l mufasa l EP Stamblade
    Fat Tyrion EP DK dps
    Mia Stone AD DK tank or dps
    Finn the Altmer AD Nightmage
    Launch Pad McQuack DC DK DPS
    Sterk Stonecrusher EP Stamplar
    -Wabba Jack DC Stam Sorc
    Sheo's Sweeper DC Magicka Temp
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I saw the term in an old movie.That one with Jessica Rabbit.Brad Pitt called the town Toontown,and everyone in it was called Toons.
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah it's way older than WoW, sorry.
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭

I saw the term in an old movie.That one with Jessica Rabbit.Brad Pitt called the town Toontown,and everyone in it was called Toons.

Oops think you got Cool World mixed up with Roger Rabbit. Brad Pitt wasn't in the latter.
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I occasionally may refer to any one of my many characters an alt but even when I am playing them concurrently I usually write character and always say character when referring to one. Toon always sounded very Roger Rabbit to me. I think maybe the answer referring to the appearance of early game characters looking very cartoon-like is probably close to the truth.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭

Oops think you got Cool World mixed up with Roger Rabbit. Brad Pitt wasn't in the latter.

bwahaha, sorry... yeah what he said.
    Da'Hui DC imperial mage dragonknight(retired but retained)
    Hand Saryn Valor EP dunmer templar(mage/healer)
    Pergan Asuul AD dunmer dragonknight(dps firemage)
    Mi'Mosa EP imperial nightblade(stamina)
    Limu'Kai EP Sahxleel dragonknight(vampire mage)
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I played MUDs (multi-user dungeons) for ten years starting from my second semester in college ('95). We didn't call them toons back then, just characters. But I think those referencing EQ1 are correct, being an earlier MMO which gave a lot of people the first graphical representation of their character in a low quality, animated fashion.

In MUDs we did have the term 'alt', alternative character, I'm pretty sure that's where it developed. We also used mob for NPCs (mobiles)and Tank for high armor guys absorbing all the damage. DPS didn't come about till MMO games started measuring damage output per second and it was indicated as such.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lyranais, EP Magsorc, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    At first when I was hearing this word used everywhere, I thought it was weird. It wasn't hard to figure out you all meant Character when saying Toon, but still the two words have nothing in common so it's always felt a little awkward to use as a substitute. Then I finally look up the Definition and Urban Dictionary gives a delightful one.
    toon

The term **** use to describe that they have an alt or a character on a mmorpg. You know how STUPID TOON sounds? Jesus...

Sounds like a pretty credible and professional definition to me. Gotta hand it to them, they've really done their research.
    I don't comment here often but when I do, I get [snip]
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea we had so many toonists in this forum. SMH ...
    huh.gif
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I might have done.lol..But,I can remember he was crazy about this one female toon.
    I just checked it and Pitt was in Cool World. Its that female toon,and she was named Holli Would(kim Basinger).
    You're so right.Got the two mixed up.
    Edited by Volkodav on May 26, 2016 6:50PM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My personal theory is that a large segment of players see MMORPGs as virtual cartoons rather than role playing games. This would explain a lot.
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭

I might have done.lol..But,I can remember he was crazy about this one female toon.
    I just checked it and Pitt was in Cool World. Its that female toon,and she was named Holli Would(kim Basinger).

"Holly Would if she could"
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"Holly Would if she could"

I bet she did. XD
    (in the film)
    Edited by Volkodav on May 26, 2016 6:57PM
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I say my "guy" or "girl" when speaking about them.

Friend: "Do you wanna play eso?"
    Me: "Ok I'll load my AD guy up"
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually use the names of my characters, because they are just that, characters whom I've imparted a personality and history and what not. So I treat them as (virtual) people in a (virtual) world.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually use the names of my characters, because they are just that, characters whom I've imparted a personality and history and what not. So I treat them as (virtual) people in a (virtual) world.

That is how I feel about it as well.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That is how I feel about it as well.

Me too. I know each one
    's name by heart.And I have 8 of them in the NA server.They are ported over for the PTS. The only oens I cant keep track of are the oens I have in the EU Server.I know there are three there.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when EQ1 launched the characters looked like cartoons(at least, we thought they did, up until WOW launched.......

I played EQ from beta and don't recall the word "toon" ever being used, although I'm from the UK and I suppose it could have been a US thing like that constant reference to Chuck Norris that threw me for ages until I decided to google it and then wished I hadn't bothered.

Much like the other favoured term "rouge". I have always assumed these terms really date from the WoWification of the MMO playerbase. I certainly regard anyone using those terms as being of a certain level of age and maturity, doubtless wholly unfairly but such is the impression they give.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by Shunravi on May 26, 2016 9:31PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭
    A term from WoW that means cartoon character.
    Cheers!

I was using "TOON" way before WOW was around. As a matter of fact I started using toon back in Ascherons Call 2. To me I am not really an RPer so calling them a character when I am not trying to be that character sounds stupid. So I call them toon because I am not trying to act like my toon.
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Back when EQ1 launched the characters looked like cartoons(at least, we thought they did, up until WOW launched.......

I played EQ from beta and don't recall the word "toon" ever being used, although I'm from the UK and I suppose it could have been a US thing like that constant reference to Chuck Norris that threw me for ages until I decided to google it and then wished I hadn't bothered.

Much like the other favoured term "rouge". I have always assumed these terms really date from the WoWification of the MMO playerbase. I certainly regard anyone using those terms as being of a certain level of age and maturity, doubtless wholly unfairly but such is the impression they give.

Rouge? Like french for red? Never heard that one. Or is that a typo that was supposed to be rogue? Not trying to be a smart a**. Genuinely curious
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SeñorCinco, would you be willing to briefly give your opinion regarding this topic, please, when you have a free moment? :)

• Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its not lazy to abbreviate, its just how things develop.

we try to transmit and express as much data as we can in as efficient a way as possible, that's why barcodes and the like were created. but humans can not yet speak in space bar space space bar space bar bar efficiently :P

you don't say: " want a sweetened, carbonated, flavored drink"
    you say: "want a soda" (or "pop", or brand name or whatever)

Edited by Wing on May 27, 2016 7:54AM
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
This discussion has been closed.