Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Why Call Your Characters 'Toon's?

• TheSpin
    TheSpin
    ✭✭✭
    TheSpin wrote: »
    From my experience, a lot of MMO lingo came from EQ1 or before (calling enemies mobs predates eq1). I know the term toons was used in EQ1... One of the games before EQ1 was called 'The Realm' made by Sierra and similar to old king's quest games. Characters in The Realm were very much cartoony but I'm not sure it had a big enough population to be the origin of the phrase.

Mats (materials or crafting ingredients) is one exception to this rule. That one came from WoW I think.

Mobs, that one bugs me lately. More and more people referring to a single enemy as a mob. Mob by definition refers to a group. I get 2 or three enemies, that's a group. My kids watch YouTube vids and they'll say stuff like "ok, take out this mob, then..." mob? It's one dude! Idk, guess I'm just old.

Mobs by definition in gaming actually refer to computer coding that was used to design text based RPG games (MUDs)

It is a term for a single generic NPC. It is not a term for an npc with a name or backstory, nor is it a term for a group of npcs, though I agree that a group of MOBs could be called a mob (a mob of MOBs)
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the term either, I just call my characters "characters". If I am talking about a character that isn't my main character, then I call them "alts" in addition to "characters". Doesn't seem to fit a MMO that doesn't have particularly cartoony graphics.

I'm not telling people how to call their characters, though. On the same way that I use "DD" (Damage Dealer) instead of "DPS" (Damage Per Second) when I am talking about my character's role (like, "my main character is a DD, she has high DPS").
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭
    who is to say what is acceptable when labeling your different characters to play. I will be using "toon" alot more often now. just to bother the weak minds.
    Da'Hui DC imperial mage dragonknight(retired but retained)
    Hand Saryn Valor EP dunmer templar(mage/healer)
    Pergan Asuul AD dunmer dragonknight(dps firemage)
    Mi'Mosa EP imperial nightblade(stamina)
    Limu'Kai EP Sahxleel dragonknight(vampire mage)
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot if things were done "shorthand" in EQ. You already had walls of txt with 30+ (minimum) on raids. It still continues to today(one of these posts I read just yesterday had to explain what everyone meant by cp.
  • TheSpin
    TheSpin
    ✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    Trayzard wrote: »
    toon? Never heard of that. Only know "twink" and "alt"

Huh? A "twink"? Isnt that a term for a certain part of this generation?

Twink also comes from Everquest and refers to a new character that is given superior gear by your high level. Alts may or may not be twinks depending on their gear.

Oh yeah, and uber is a good one from everquest as well.
    Edited by TheSpin on May 26, 2016 4:45PM
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Twink also comes from Everquest and refers to a new character that is given superior gear by your high level. Alts may or may not be twinks depending on their gear.

I have Everquest on my PC and I never heard of the term.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, I remember lol. Everyone hated them at first as cheaters, then it became the norm...
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I literally never use this word and I cringe every time I read or hear it, it sounds stupid and I can't stand it. But yeah, people will call things by whatever they want.
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience, a lot of MMO lingo came from EQ1 or before (calling enemies mobs predates eq1). I know the term toons was used in EQ1... One of the games before EQ1 was called 'The Realm' made by Sierra and similar to old king's quest games. Characters in The Realm were very much cartoony but I'm not sure it had a big enough population to be the origin of the phrase.

Mats (materials or crafting ingredients) is one exception to this rule. That one came from WoW I think.

Mobs, that one bugs me lately. More and more people referring to a single enemy as a mob. Mob by definition refers to a group. I get 2 or three enemies, that's a group. My kids watch YouTube vids and they'll say stuff like "ok, take out this mob, then..." mob? It's one dude! Idk, guess I'm just old.

A mob, mobile or monster is a computer-controlled non-player character (NPC) in a computer game such as an MMORPG or MUD. Depending on context, every and any such characters in a game may be considered to be a "mob", or usage of the term may be limited to hostile NPCs and/or NPCs vulnerable to attack.
    Mob (video gaming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't say group only. Pretty sure it is short for mobile.

Understandable, but the word mob existed before video games (angry mobs, slang for the Mafia) and possibly, to people who were alive before online gaming, the word may seem misappropriated.

To people like me at 50 years old? I don't find it inappropriate.
    Edited by clayandaudrey_ESO on May 26, 2016 4:47PM
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭

twink is a common term in eq, if you dont know that then you are not qualified to speak on eq regardless if you have it on your pc or not
    Edited by TieFighter on May 26, 2016 4:48PM
  • OnThaLoose
    OnThaLoose
    ✭✭✭
    I call my main character my "main", and my alternate characters my "alts"
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TieFighter wrote: »

twink is a common term in eq, if you dont know that then you are not qualified to speak on eq rtegardless if you have it on your pc or not

Twink came from UO before it got to EQ, so I've been knowing about that term for a long, long time.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

twink is a common term in eq, if you dont know that then you are not qualified to speak on eq regardless if you have it on your pc or not

Who the he-ll are you?
    I'll speak about whatever I wish to speak about. Any attempt to order me around will get you ignored.
    I didnt say it didnt exist,I just said I hadnt heard of it.Perhaps it was because I didnt pay attention to chat.I dont in ESO either.
    They can name whatever they want to.I dont care.
    Edited by Volkodav on May 26, 2016 4:51PM
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »

Ah, I remember lol. Everyone hated them at first as cheaters, then it became the norm...

not everyone, only the weak players, it became the norm when the petty complainers finally grasped the simple idea of getting a main before you dabble in other classes. rerolling classes and playing them to the best of your ability is part of learning the mechanics of a game.
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭

A mob, mobile or monster is a computer-controlled non-player character (NPC) in a computer game such as an MMORPG or MUD. Depending on context, every and any such characters in a game may be considered to be a "mob", or usage of the term may be limited to hostile NPCs and/or NPCs vulnerable to attack.
    Mob (video gaming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't say group only. Pretty sure it is short for mobile.

Understandable, but the word mob existed before video games (angry mobs, slang for the Mafia) and possibly, to people who were alive before online gaming, the word may seem misappropriated.

To people like me at 50 years old? I don't find it inappropriate.

I didn't say it was inappropriate, I said misappropriated. Meaning used in the wrong context. Not inappropriate, just strange to me.
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭

Who the he-ll are you?
    I'll speak about whatever I wish to speak about. Any attempt to order me around will get you ignored.
    I didnt say it didnt exist,I just said I hadnt heard of it.Perhaps it was because I didnt pay attention to chat.I dont in ESO either.

haha, no one said you weren't allowed to speak on anything. im just telling you what you have to say about the convo is useless because you have no idea what youre talking about.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

not everyone, only the weak players, it became the norm when the petty complainers finally grasped the simple idea of getting a main before you dabble in other classes. rerolling classes and playing them to the best of your ability is part of learning the mechanics of a game.

I'll have to disagree with ya on that one. A lot of people(with maxed out mains) thought you should start the character and earn it separately rather than have GOD armor and weapons handed down by a "benevolent uncle" making things trivial. Personally I wasn't a fan of suffering through the early stages over and over purely for rp reasons.
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭

I'll have to disagree with ya on that one. A lot of people(with maxed out mains) thought you should start the character and earn it separately rather than have GOD armor and weapons handed down by a "benevolent uncle" making things trivial. Personally I wasn't a fan of suffering through the early stages over and over purely for rp reasons.

well then, it almost sounds like you never played in firiona vie server where raid drops are not no trade or bound and can be sold or been in a good guild where people throw upgrades at you. my main was a warrior in the year 2000 and after establishing him i rolled a sk and twinked him and every other class i rolled after that. its what people did since 99. what sucked was the twinked toons who had all the good gear but didnt know their class or role. twinks in general werent the problem they were a solution to low level groups.
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    i always call the "other char" or "alts"

even tho i know "toons" term long time ago, i never really use it since its sound unfit for describe another character
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Who the he-ll are you?

haha, no one said you weren't allowed to speak on anything. im just telling you what you have to say about the convo is useless because you have no idea what youre talking about.

You actually did tell me that I had no right to speak about EQ.
    As to not knowing what I am talking about,I didnt talk about Twink in any context.I simply said I hadnt heard of it.
    I'm sure there are others who dont know the term.
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He said you weren't qualified to speak on it, not that you didn't have any right to speak on it. Two completely different meanings, there.
  • TieFighter
    TieFighter
    ✭✭✭

Who the he-ll are you?

As to not knowing what I am talking about,I didnt talk about Twink in any context.I simply said I hadnt heard of it.

i said you arent qualified, not you dont have a right to speak. #justsaying
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Who the he-ll are you?

i said you arent qualified, not you dont have a right to speak. #justsaying

While I may not know about something as you do,.I still can comment on the fact that I dont.
    I have that right.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toon is iften used to refer to ones character because they are often cartoonish in many games. Even in ESO they still somewhat resemble a cartoon.

Not s big deal but some people get upset over little things.
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, he said nothing about your rights, just your qualifications.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well then, it almost sounds like you never played in firiona vie server where raid drops are not no trade or bound and can be sold or been in a good guild where people throw upgrades at you. my main was a warrior in the year 2000 and after establishing him i rolled a sk and twinked him and every other class i rolled after that. its what people did since 99. what sucked was the twinked toons who had all the good gear but didnt know their class or role. twinks in general werent the problem they were a solution to low level groups.

Nope. My (ex) wife and I had created a couple on fv but never went far. And yes, I agree the twinks that plowed through and didn't learn their class drove me nuts(also had a warrior until hybrids got our defense. Rolled an ikky monk and never looked back.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

He actually did tell me I have no rights to comment on something.
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He actually did tell me I have no rights to comment on something.

Show me exactly what quote he said that shows this, otherwise no he didn't.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rr
    Edited by Volkodav on May 26, 2016 5:17PM
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, just drop it and speak about whatever you want ~.~

On topic, I remembered now that I saw people using the term "toon" a lot in GW2. It is much more cartoony than ESO, though. I don't see it as often on ESO.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
This discussion has been closed.