Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Why Call Your Characters 'Toon's?

• Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to play Neverwinter Nights when it was released in 2002 which, as you may or may not know, was an AD&D game set in the Forgotten Realms. It had a lot of serious roleplayers that had come from the pen and paper game and who were now able to finally see their 'characters'.
    A couple of years later in 2004, another game came along. Seeing the success of NWN but wanting to appeal to a younger audience, alonmg came World of Warcraft with it's cartoon-like graphics. Players were essentially making their own 'cartoon' - a 'toon - to play in this world.
    A lot of NWN players (including myself) HATED the cartoony-ness of World of Warcraft back then, to the point were it was almost offensive - how could anyone take the game seriously or roleplay in such a childish, cartoon-like environment? Well it didn't matter because the younger player base loved the game and it went on to have incredible success.

I still prefer my 'character' and Neverwinter Nights though.... :);)
    Edited by Bam_Bam on May 26, 2016 9:15AM
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    14snnc.jpg
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Toon.

Toontoontoontauntauntoon...
    Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
    "Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I first heard it back on everquest. I use the term toon from time to time though i try to use character or char. Honestly though why does it bother people, this is the internet. You know where proper spelling is replaced with text speak.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause it shorter than "character".

One syllable vs 3. Pure laziness.

its why i use it sometimes, 4 keyboard clicks compared to the 9 in the word 'character' or the 6 in 'avatar'

for me, its just simpler to say toon when typing

when talking however, i use any of a plethora of words that are longer, just so i can seem smart
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheSpin wrote: »
    From my experience, a lot of MMO lingo came from EQ1 or before (calling enemies mobs predates eq1). I know the term toons was used in EQ1... One of the games before EQ1 was called 'The Realm' made by Sierra and similar to old king's quest games. Characters in The Realm were very much cartoony but I'm not sure it had a big enough population to be the origin of the phrase.

Mats (materials or crafting ingredients) is one exception to this rule. That one came from WoW I think.

Mobs, that one bugs me lately. More and more people referring to a single enemy as a mob. Mob by definition refers to a group. I get 2 or three enemies, that's a group. My kids watch YouTube vids and they'll say stuff like "ok, take out this mob, then..." mob? It's one dude! Idk, guess I'm just old.
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

its why i use it sometimes, 4 keyboard clicks compared to the 9 in the word 'character' or the 6 in 'avatar'

when talking however, i use any of a plethora of words that are longer, just so i can seem smart
    "Ooh oh, yes, I am the great... pretender..." XD
    Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
    "Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Ooh oh, yes, I am the great... pretender..." XD

cheezus, thats an old show, i feel like an old fart now
  • CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Becoz lazy
  • dwtdwtdwt
    dwtdwtdwt
    ✭✭✭
    Toon has been around a long time. It was used in Ultima Online, players said it in Star Wars: Galaxies, and it was uttered from the start of WoW. So, that's at least 15 years it's been said by the online gaming community to describe their avatar. It's likely to be said by the older gamers now, I suppose. But it is not going away.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience, a lot of MMO lingo came from EQ1 or before (calling enemies mobs predates eq1). I know the term toons was used in EQ1... One of the games before EQ1 was called 'The Realm' made by Sierra and similar to old king's quest games. Characters in The Realm were very much cartoony but I'm not sure it had a big enough population to be the origin of the phrase.

Mats (materials or crafting ingredients) is one exception to this rule. That one came from WoW I think.

Mobs, that one bugs me lately. More and more people referring to a single enemy as a mob. Mob by definition refers to a group. I get 2 or three enemies, that's a group. My kids watch YouTube vids and they'll say stuff like "ok, take out this mob, then..." mob? It's one dude! Idk, guess I'm just old.

A mob, mobile or monster is a computer-controlled non-player character (NPC) in a computer game such as an MMORPG or MUD. Depending on context, every and any such characters in a game may be considered to be a "mob", or usage of the term may be limited to hostile NPCs and/or NPCs vulnerable to attack.
    Mob (video gaming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doesn't say group only. Pretty sure it is short for mobile.
    Edited by clayandaudrey_ESO on May 26, 2016 10:42AM
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Karthos wrote: »
    It's been around for years. I know I still stubbornly cal them 'characters,' even though the alternative is quicker to type.

me too. I hear "toon" and I like of Buggs bunny and the Road Runner, not characters in a fantasy MMORPG
  • milkbox
    milkbox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, where all the Toons lived in Toontown.
  • Draghorn
    Draghorn
    Karthos wrote: »
    It's been around for years. I know I still stubbornly cal them 'characters,' even though the alternative is quicker to type.

Yeah, I always used the word "character" to describe my "player character".
    Draghorn - The Business Dragon (Platform: NA-PC)
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people say 'toon' because they are either too lazy to type 'character' or don't know how to spell it. :*

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2320+
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A term from WoW that means cartoon character.
    Cheers!

Yup, this ^
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    At first when I was hearing this word used everywhere, I thought it was weird. It wasn't hard to figure out you all meant Character when saying Toon, but still the two words have nothing in common so it's always felt a little awkward to use as a substitute. Then I finally look up the Definition and Urban Dictionary gives a delightful one.
    toon

The term **** use to describe that they have an alt or a character on a mmorpg. You know how STUPID TOON sounds? Jesus...

Toon is short for "cartoon".
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    At first when I was hearing this word used everywhere, I thought it was weird. It wasn't hard to figure out you all meant Character when saying Toon, but still the two words have nothing in common so it's always felt a little awkward to use as a substitute. Then I finally look up the Definition and Urban Dictionary gives a delightful one.
    toon

The term **** use to describe that they have an alt or a character on a mmorpg. You know how STUPID TOON sounds? Jesus...

Toon is short for "cartoon".

Exactly - that is it's origin.
  • LiquidSchwartz
    LiquidSchwartz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay first, toon is an older term a lot of people used to describe a character. It isn't specific just the thing they are playing not just for an alt.
    Second, it is shorter to type out and if you're messaging someone it is convenient to type something shorter.
    Third, who cares if it sounds bad.. it's a term. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    I'm pretty sure that quote you pulled was off a thread I made or that guy literally posted the same exact quote.
    May the Schwartz be with you.
    EP/XB1/NA

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay first, toon is an older term a lot of people used to describe a character. It isn't specific just the thing they are playing not just for an alt.
    Second, it is shorter to type out and if you're messaging someone it is convenient to type something shorter.
    Third, who cares if it sounds bad.. it's a term. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    I'm pretty sure that quote you pulled was off a thread I made or that guy literally posted the same exact quote.

Does it matter where the OP got that quote?
  • Bone_Demon
    Bone_Demon
    ✭✭✭
    GideonPDX wrote: »
    I can say that since Ultima Online and the first Everquest we have used the terms toon, alt, and main to describe the various characters we had available.

I can say for UO when i played it nobody called their character -> toon. Alt has always been a short term for alternative character and main -> short for main character.
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some people call them toons because it is part of a cartoon world inside a video game. so toon makes sense if you look at it that way. I say Chars because toon sounds too much like a child's game char.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    some people call them toons because it is part of a cartoon world inside a video game. so toon makes sense if you look at it that way. I say Chars because toon sounds too much like a child's game char.

Right.As I mentioned,.."toon" is short f or "cartoon". :)
    Edited by Volkodav on May 26, 2016 4:32PM
  • Trayzard
    Trayzard
    ✭✭✭
    toon? Never heard of that. Only know "twink" and "alt"
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trayzard wrote: »
    toon? Never heard of that. Only know "twink" and "alt"

Huh? A "twink"? Isnt that a term for a certain part of this generation?
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL I had a moment didn't even see that post of yours @Volkodav :joy:
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

LOL I had a moment didn't even see that post of yours @Volkodav :joy:

:)
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »
    When the term started to being used MMOs used really cartoony graphics that's why toon was used, but that is only known by people who have been playing MMOs for a very long time.

This. ^^ Characters in video games, for MANY YEARS, looked like CARTOON characters. Like... LOONEY TOONS! In WoW they still do!
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭

A mob, mobile or monster is a computer-controlled non-player character (NPC) in a computer game such as an MMORPG or MUD. Depending on context, every and any such characters in a game may be considered to be a "mob", or usage of the term may be limited to hostile NPCs and/or NPCs vulnerable to attack.

Understandable, but the word mob existed before video games (angry mobs, slang for the Mafia) and possibly, to people who were alive before online gaming, the word may seem misappropriated.
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Understandable, but the word mob existed before video games (angry mobs, slang for the Mafia) and possibly, to people who were alive before online gaming, the word may seem misappropriated.

In Australia,the word mob is said about a band of horses.
    "A mob of Brumbies".
This discussion has been closed.