Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Why Call Your Characters 'Toon's?

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always say character.

Toon makes me think of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Tiny Toon Adventures. Both brilliant, but not at all what I want to associate with my characters. Also I'm not sure why but I just don't like the sound of the word.

I quite like avatar, which is what Ultima Online used following the main Ultima series where the main character was known as The Avatar through most of the games. But to me that implies that the character is a representation of me - my way of putting myself into the game world - and that doesn't fit at all for me.

Character feels completely appropriate to me. Although I don't really role-play I always like to make up backstory for them and think about how they look and act, and then play in a way which matches it. So they are a character I've created to fit into the story.

I used to say char (which I'd pronounce as the first half of charred, as in burned) but I stopped doing that when I got into Guild Wars 1 and 2, because one of their races are called the charr and I found it too confusing (I'm slightly dyslexic, it doesn't take much for words to confuse me). Besides I can type quickly enough that writing out the full word isn't a problem.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it was short for attunable. Like the attunable crafting stations. Something that can be molded to your liking. Just turned it into a noun. : )
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its easy to spell
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cause it shorter than "character".

One syllable vs 3. Pure laziness.

when you type on the xbox that saves you a significant amount of time.
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same reason I hate altmer bosmer dunmer, I just do
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t mind the use of “toons”.

Just don’t call dreugh wax, “drew wax”.

:)
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Zalicius
    Zalicius
    ✭✭✭
    dhrew whax
  • WakeYourGhost
    WakeYourGhost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The use of the term “toon” makes my flesh crawl.. it tries to escape.. I won’t let it, but it still tries.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »
    When the term started to being used MMOs used really cartoony graphics that's why toon was used, but that is only known by people who have been playing MMOs for a very long time.

^this... and why i do it.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 'toon' makes sense to some people because to them virtual environments are like virtual cartoons. They didn't see WoW as being derived from a lineage that includes Dungeons and Dragons. They saw WoW as being derived from Saturday morning cartoons -- which, its art style was consistent with.
  • CaiWenji
    CaiWenji
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like this term either. Doesn't fit the game and reminds me of this:

Pegasus-maximillion-pegasus-yu-gi-oh-32725747-498-382.jpg

tumblr_ma0iy4NWZB1rem1amo1_400.jpg
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rise, thread, RISE!

IT’S ALIVE! IT’S ALIVE!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always called them "Chars" "heroes" or "alts". Always hated "toon" lol
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    Rise, thread, RISE!

IT’S ALIVE! IT’S ALIVE!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!!

May 2016 - that must be one of the oldest ones I've seen so far!
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    Hey there everyone! Since this thread dates all the way back to 2016, we have decided to close it down. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.