The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Tanking Feedback Thread

ZOS_Finn
ZOS_Finn
Dungeon, Encounter
& Monster Lead
Calling all Tanks!

The Dungeon and Gameplay teams would love to get some feedback from all of you damage sponge, block mastering, mitigation kings out there. This thread is going to mainly cover PvE encounters specifically in group dungeons or Trials. If you like to play a tank in ESO and want to have your voice heard, or you don't and want us to know why, please answer the following questions. Please make sure you mention if you primarily play on console or PC.

1. What do you like best about tanking in ESO?
2. What do you like least about tanking in ESO?
3. What is your favorite encounter to tank?
4. What is your least favorite encounter to tank?
5. Of the tools you have for tanking, which is your favorite?
6. Of the tools you have for tanking, which would you like to see improved the most?

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Lead Encounter Designer (Dungeons, Monsters, Encounters)
Staff Post
  • Alanar
    Alanar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tank with an imperial DK on PC.

1. I love feeling powerful when tanking hard content. For example, in veteran banished cells on the giant daedroth, I love standing in one place in the flame and just taking it all. Feels awesome. I also feel like tanking in ESO requires more situational awareness than in other games (no aoe taunts), which is fun.
    2. I don't like that it feels like I can't kill anything when I'm in heavy armor. I know a tank isn't supposed to be clearing enemies like a dps, but the difference right now feels extreme.
    3. I mentioned banished cells above, which is probably my favorite. The last boss of banished cells can also be a lot of fun, in a different, more mobile tanking style.
    4. The flame atronach boss in WGT is my least favorite to tank, enough so that I usually swap to a dps build for just that fight. Almost feels untankable.
    5. I enjoy the sword and board line, though I really wish the Master Sword dropped at V16. I love being able to make good use of both stamina and magicka pools, especially with prismatic glyphs. I love battle roar, I feel like I have great tools for managing resources.
    6. My biggest frustration is with the armor master set. I love the set, feels really rewarding in combat, which is why I still use it even though I take a 5k hit to health every time I swap bars. Would be much better without the bug though.

I also wish there were more abilities that scaled off of health. I have dragon blood, but that's basically it, which makes it hard to make a competitive build using health as my primary attribute. It would be really cool to have a damage return ability that scaled off health, like if volatile armor damaged people who hit me 2% of my Max Heath per hit or something. It could also be really interesting to have armor sets based on this type of thorns damage, similar to the Crusader builds in Diablo 3.

I'm also sad that my Grievous Ward shield can't be enchanted. It looks amazing, and I'd love to use it in my build if I could just put a good enchantment on it.
  • agabahmeatshieldb14_ESO

I like the way that having only a single target taunt forces us to prioritize our targets, picking and choosing the mobs that are a serious threat to the other members of the group and leaving free the ones that aren't. This is more fun for me as a tank and also as a damage dealer than the other games I've played that allow/force you as a tank to pick up every single monster in trash packs and boss fights. I think it's also great the way tanks can act as mobility and placement control with Chains, roots, snares, and other crowd control abilities, rather than having those segregated to separate classes like other games have done, and I like the way that every class can tank. Disclosure: I have a Veteran Rank 16 of each class and have tanked serious content successfully on each.

Resource management, specifically Stamina. Now, I know all of the reasons that were given for the nerf to Stamina Regeneration while Blocking (please, please, please don't reiterate them, we all know); even if I don't agree with them, I understand the reasoning. But that change in itself moved tanking from an enjoyable tactical exercise of monster control into a long session of staring at blue and green bars. It forced us into using very homogeneous gear, and very predictable sets of skills across different tanks. This change also forced Templars into an even more unfortunate pigeonhole of constantly being on Stamina support, pushing them deeper into the exclusive-healer niche.

A second point that I'm not keen on, and this relates as much to content design as to tanking, is how for a large amount of the game's content tanks are completely unnecessary. There are a few dungeons where a tank is useful--Veteran White Gold Tower, Imperial City Prison, Dragonstar Arena, and Trials--but for most group content it's faster and cleaner to use three (or even four) damage dealers. I like to tank, I like to play tanks, and while I'm glad to do damage sometimes, it would be nice to see more group content that leaned in the traditional healer/tank/damage dealer direction.

The Warrior in Hel Ra, Hard Mode. It's a punishing fight if you don't do it correctly, but the mechanics are predictable and fair. I like how it relies on positioning and smooth movement of the tank and group. That is, until you do the stack and burn strategy, which is less fun.

Ibomez the Flesh Sculptor in Veteran Imperial City Prison, High Kinlord Rilis in Veteran Banished Cells, Nerien'eth in Veteran Crypt of Hearts. The thing is, I like all these fights. These are really good, well-designed fights, with clear and fun mechanics that are easy to learn. With a good group, they're easy. BUT, and it's a big but, as a tank you have to manage multiple monsters, and that turns a fun fight into a tedious exercise in resource management. I'm left waiting for potion cooldowns or hoping that Engine Guardian will give me the right resource, which is far from compelling. It's a case of a good fight being spoiled by one thing--no Stamina Regeneration while Blocking.

On my Dragonknight, it'd be either Extended Chains, because it's an awesome skill, or the Battle Roar passive which is amazing. For the Sorcerer, Streak because I have a blast jumping around the room with monsters chasing helplessly after. With the Nightblade tank, Shadow Image, for the debuff and teleportation. On the Templar, Repentance for the Stamina (I wish the Templar had something more exciting for tanking, but that's a different discussion).

6. Of the tools you have for tanking, which would you like to see improved the most?

I'm beating a dead horse by the end of the post, I know, but Stamina Regeneration, plain and simple. If you want to keep the No-Stamina-Regeneration-While-Blocking thing in Cyrodiil, have at it--make it part of the Battle Spirit buff, and I won't complain. I personally think it should be gone entirely, but I'd be fine with just having it gone from PvE for now.

I'd also like to see Heavy Armor and its passives improved for tanking. As it stands now, they are lackluster. I've seen this posted before in other threads, but the idea of adding Stamina Regeneration while Blocking as a passive in the Heavy Armor line, requiring five pieces of Heavy Armor equipped, seems fair. Heavy Armor should allow you to trade out damage for tankiness, as it stands now it trades out damage for very little at all. I would like to see Heavy Armor with passives that encouraged people to play tanks and made tanking more fun and less tedious.

EDIT: Oh, and I play on PC.
    Edited by agabahmeatshieldb14_ESO on February 22, 2016 10:49PM
  • sebban
    sebban
    ✭✭✭✭
    - It's a much more active role compared to other MMORPGs (less so now than before the stamina regen nerf). Active blocking, active dodge rolling, lots of interesting skills to use. No AOE taunt means you have to prioritize what mobs to taunt.

- Heavy armor feels lackluster. The passive skills are boring and doesn't feel "fun", especially the +health, +healing taken and +health recovery. Needs more tankiness and maybe more mobility? Unless blocking, damage reduction is too similar to medium armor.
    - Blocking has been hit hard with the loss of stamina regen, maybe too hard. While tanking certainly works, it's a lot less fun than it was before. While before, I could use a lot of skills and have some fun, I now have to watch my resources VERY carefully not to waste anything to avoid running out of stamina at a crucial moment. While making heavy attacks to regain stamina sounds fine on paper, it doesn't always work in reality. Any lag could be the difference between a successful block and a wipe.
    - As Tanks we hardly do any damage, at least give us the tools to stay alive and mitigate damage. This is our role. This is why we tank. This is what we do.

- There are many. Examples:
    - Spawn of Mephala - Fungal Grotto. Lots of movement and skill to stay out of red.
    - Veraine & Allene Pellingare - Wayrest Sewers. Staying out of red, keeping two targets taunted, interrupting, etc.
    - Most bosses in veteran Crypt of Hearts (except Mezeluth).
    - Ash Titan and Valkyn Skoria - City of Ash. Both are really fun and takes some time to master.
    - All of veteran WGT except The Planar Inhibitor.
    - All of Imperial City Prison.

- Any encounter where a tank is not needed. LET ME DO MY JOB! Examples are Mezeluth, the Engine Guardian and the Planar Inhibitor. I really dislike these fights as a tank as I'm just dead weight. Maybe you think "Hey it might be fun for the tank to do some DPS". No. It's not fun. That is not why we tank.

- Chains and Talons. Love them.

- Damage Shields that scale with max health feels very weak (Obsidian Shield, Sun Shield). If I could drop block with a damage shield up and heavy attack for stamina, that could be a interesting mechanic, but shields are so pitiful, it is more likely I will die.
    - Resource management. No stamina regen while blocking makes tanking not fun.
    Edited by sebban on February 23, 2016 10:29AM
    PC EU
    Dweia Ceban - StamDK
    Adara Ceban - MagBlade
    Daewa Ceban - MagSorc
    Tick-Tock Tormentor

Chimaira.eu

Friskyttarna.eu
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm beating a dead horse by the end of the post, I know, but Stamina Regeneration, plain and simple. If you want to keep the No-Stamina-Regeneration-While-Blocking thing in Cyrodiil, have at it--make it part of the Battle Spirit buff, and I won't complain. I personally think it should be gone entirely, but I'd be fine with just having it gone from PvE for now.

I'd also like to see Heavy Armor and its passives improved for tanking. As it stands now, they are lackluster. I've seen this posted before in other threads, but the idea of adding Stamina Regeneration while Blocking as a passive in the Heavy Armor line, requiring five pieces of Heavy Armor equipped, seems fair. Heavy Armor should allow you to trade out damage for tankiness, as it stands now it trades out damage for very little at all. I would like to see Heavy Armor with passives that encouraged people to play tanks and made tanking more fun and less tedious.

Yeah, heavy armor needs a review for tanking, but I am not sure how that works with this feedback. That is, if the Dungeon and Gameplay teams make requests to the combat team or primarily focuses on the encounter designs, since armor changes would be the responsibility of the latter. Here's hoping something changes.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • ZOS_Finn
    ZOS_Finn
    Dungeon, Encounter
    & Monster Lead

Yeah, heavy armor needs a review for tanking, but I am not sure how that works with this feedback. That is, if the Dungeon and Gameplay teams make requests to the combat team or primarily focuses on the encounter designs, since armor changes would be the responsibility of the latter. Here's hoping something changes.

Gameplay and Combat are the same team so, this feedback is seen by them as well.
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on February 22, 2016 11:04PM
    Lead Encounter Designer (Dungeons, Monsters, Encounters)
    Staff Post
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Finn wrote: »
    Calling all Tanks!

The Dungeon and Gameplay teams would love to get some feedback from all of you damage sponge, block mastering, mitigation kings out there. This thread is going to mainly cover PvE encounters specifically in group dungeons or Trials. If you like to play a tank in ESO and want to have your voice heard, or you don't and want us to know why, please answer the following questions. Please make sure you mention if you primarily play on console or PC.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. We look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Well, I did try tanking at the end of summer/early fall 2014, did a few vet dungeons including the one where you lead a giant daedroth around the room to manage the AoE that is laid down. But at the time it was too hard for me to swap gear/specs back and forth (it's more effort/expense now), and tanking doesn't work for everything I want to do, so I didn't want to be locked into that.

I've considered making one of my characters a tank again on and off for a few months, but I've heard that for (the Craglorn) trials only a few sets let you truly tank unless you have a steady stream of Shards and your own healer and you skip the mechanics to burn everything. That doesn't sound fun. Plus, many groups just do hybrid tank/healer or even skip the tank for some group dungeons because it's easier just to burn many of the bosses with super-high DPS. Along with the stam regen/block change made last year, all of this gives me pause. I am waiting to see what is going to happen with new content and with the heavy armor passives before going to the trouble and in-game expense of converting any of my characters into a tank.
    Edited by tinythinker on February 22, 2016 11:10PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Tavine
    Tavine
    ✭✭
    1. Tanking in ESO is fairly simple, watching your resources and being able to manage even bigger threats to the group.
    I regularly play my NB Tank and my DK Tank and the differences could not be bigger.
    2. I personally dislike the fact that for the new trial we are back to the DK being the go-to Tank. This class has everything that makes it the perfect tank. Starting with the passives and don't even get me started on the now buffed Ultimates (Magma Shell FTW). I would like a bigger diversity that every class would have the same basic circumstances like the resource m anagement on the DK.
    The taunting system is nice, I like the fact that there is no AE taunt.
    3. PTS Maw of Lorkhaj Vet Mode (S'kinrai + Vashai) second boss or the Mage in AA (Tanking the axes)
    4. Every Static Boss there is in the old trials so almost every boss in the old trials. If I can stand the whole encounter in one spot it is simply a matter of not running out of stamina and picking up spears or calling for repentence. The reason is simple. This great game offers a lot of opportunities to use the world in the encounter much more, which causes the tank to move and to THINK when he actually can move and lower his shield. Just use this much more in the encounters to come.

5. Because my NB Tank is my main character I try not to laugh here and say Veil of blades.
    6. Like I already said. Without destroying the uniqueness of each class give us the proper means to Tank. I am reasonable and simply say the Physical Resistance buff and the resource gain. Those would be the Most important improvements to me.

And I say this by completely ignoring the fact that my NB has no root or class damage shields or chains like the DK. But those I can live without.
    Edited by Tavine on February 22, 2016 11:17PM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. What I like most about tanking in ESO is battlefield management. I've tanked with all 4 classes at various phases of the game, and I have enjoyed them all. I like being able to control the enemies and set them up so the rest of the team can burn them down. This holds true in PvP as well, where my Tank build actually use to get a lot more play in earlier days. Reverberating Bash, Charge, and Blazing Shield were stables of my build along with a well timed Caltrops.

2. What I like least about tanking in ESO currently is the way it has become a resource management game, and not in an equitable manner. Classes clearly fall into strata as tanks, with DK clearly at the top, both for being able to produce stamina while blocking as well as the right kinds of CC. It use to be fun before playing as a Templar Tank and this one change took all of the fun out of it for me (what was left when the class has no cc, and Caltrops is too costly when you have 0 Stamina Regeneration). The other issue here is that most Tanks tend to favor one damage attribute and health. Those tanks who favored stamina-based damage more than magicka were hurt most by the changes to stamina regeneration while blocking. Heavy Armor also doesn't feel like it gives enough back for what you give up. Heavy armor has major opportunity costs to using it over another armor type. I believe something should be done to bring back stamina regeneration for Tanks, and definitely Heavy Armor is a great way to do this. It will in turn benefit all classes and races and investments made by the character to build up regeneration, which was heretofore a major part of what being a tank was about. As a proper tank we use to give up damage output by having staying power. The 100% removal of Stamina Regeneration while blocking and 4 seconds afterward (our core skill honestly) was heavy punishment to the core design of being a tank. If they can bring this back, I'm sure quite a few Bosmer Tanks will breathe a sigh of relief as they see their racial attribute actually being useful again. Another big problem related to this is that Tanks are very one-dimensional in ESO. They're not very useful in PVP. They're only really useful in some Trials and Vet Dungeons. There is a whole lot of game outside of these things, and playing as a tank in those areas can be tedious. I don't think any of us expect to buzzsaw through content as a Tank, but we don't want to be moving at the speed of continental shift either in a game that increasingly pushes us to grind for CP.

3&4. What is my favorite encounter to tank? Pvp. I know this thread was about PVE and I apologize if this is a bit of a derail, but I can't help it. I enjoyed doing PVE content, Vet dungeons and all that, and there's nothing wrong with those things, but that isn't what tanking was about for me. My favorite encounter is to rush into an enemies line and break them up, reverberating bash to throw them off and debuff them, and move on. I like to literally taunt them far afield from their comrades so I can pull them back to my friends who will eviscerate them. In all honesty this way of playing died for me, and I really miss it. I've simply gone on to be yet another DPS player. There's nothing wrong with that but it wasn't what I originally set out to do. I'd like to see more and better CC available to the Templar as well, considering we had our aoe cc removed and replaced with an execute. Currently, my least favorite encounter to tank is PVP, which is why I no longer play as a tank in this game. We either need a way to have more than one spec at least for PVP/PVE differences, or something needs to change in this area.

6. Favorite Tools for tanking: Left Click, Right Click, Dodge Roll, Break Free, Bash, Reverberating Bash, Talons, Shields, Shuffle, Mirage, Sap Essence, Caltrops (too expensive now), Defensive Posture, Taunt, Boundless Lightning, Blinding Flashes (gone). I want Templars to have a proper aoe-CC back, whether you can add it to something like Solar Barrage, or Blazing Spear, I really don't care. The lack of proper cc in the class is a flaw I can drive a Hummer through, particularly when the only options are Fire Rune or Caltrops.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on February 22, 2016 11:57PM
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. I can Deal with mobs and damage them at the same time with decent damage and skill for tanking
    2. The resource management cause that Constitution passive ain't even enough when facing multiple Enemies fighting you while blocking for a couple seconds or Dealing there damage and surviving.
    3. The fungol grotto cause I can DPS and Tank as please cause the boss only goes in a circle motion.
    4. The Imperial city prison cause you need so much health and people need great DPS. That encounter only requires just High health Tank Builds with 2 Great DPS and one healer that can do DPS and heals at same time (Templar). ;)
    5. My skill is Deep slash pretty good with decent amount of time like 10 to slow your enemies and reduce the damage they deal to u and ur group members.
    6. Heavy Armor passives. Like I said in number 2 resource management is an issue why not when facing mulitple enemies around your area like 10 meter or so you get more resources when you get hit every 4 sec. I would like to say a least 50 to 100 more resources per enemy. This would help deal with multiple enemies and have resources to tank and deal damage to enemies with enough resources to do so. If not just balance out the passives so that way I could wear STEEL ON MY FACE FOR A REASON!!!!!! :)
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Personofsecrets You probably want to post here.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how long this thread will end up by next week, and how much of it will remain constructive.

I may not main a Tank, but I have been known to be a decent one when need be, so I will throw my 2 Septims in. Still gotta grind that v16 though!

1: What I like best is the fact that I see all this incoming damage that would be 18k+18k+18k+50k on my DPS and I just scoff at how little damage I take. I also enjoy how you have to have amazing situational awareness AND resource management to tank now. I can't just hold block forever, I have to restore resources, via class synergies or whatever means. (Though in 1v1 boss fights, it is almost impossible to run out of stamina, and I do use stamina skills like Heroic Slash constantly.)

2: I dislike the lack of effective gear options (due to the difficulty in sustaining stamina and just bad item design) and the fact that tanking is actively discouraged. Alot of times I would rather DPS but I find it is just easier to be the Tank than to look for one. (Some dungeons don't need a tank which is nice atm, but that NEEDS to change.)

3: I haven't tanked many encounters, aside from PVP, so maybe Valkyn Skoria or something. That really makes me work, because those flames burn your stamina fast if you hold block, so you gotta be very careful and manage your resources perfectly.

4: My least favorite encounter to tank would be the frost/fire banners in Imperial Sewers. Mostly because they are not designed to BE tankable, with those insane zones and random taunt immunity.

5: My favorite tool for tanking would have to be heavy armor, almost entirely because it looks cool. Most sets are crap for tanking, but tank sets look aesthetically pleasing.

6: I would like to see the Maelstrom Sword's (and Mace) stamina return improved, as ~200 extra stamina recovery is a bit low. More importantly I would LOVE to see the Maelstrom Shield have an enchantment on it that was tank related (perhaps synergizing with the main weapon), instead of a tri-stat glyph and a worthless set bonus. (Having it be part of a set is mathematically pointless. A 5 set piece of armor, and 3 jewelry 2 armor of another set leaves the shield as dead weight if you use a Maelstrom 1-hander.)

I think the main complaints about tanking lately are poor tank itemization, lack of a need for tanks, bad heavy armor passives and the block regen nerf. Since these have been stressed ALOT in other threads, I wanna ask my fellow posters to not complain too much about these, and instead focus on answering the questions asked. (There is probably no problem mentioning these in the context of answering the above questions though.)

It is worth noting I have been tanking pledges from vet 6-vet 9 on this tank, and they were all scaled to vet 16, and I am max CP. This likely adds bias, as my experience should be vastly different to someone with low CP or a vet 16 tank.

Also,
    PCMASTERRACE
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be forming a post for this thread at some point, but am stopping by to let @Wing , @usmcjdking , @MaximusDargus , and @Sensesfail13 know that this thread is a thing which exists. Oh, and guys, if you have some ideas on tanking that you want shared here, then I would be more than happy to collaborate with you.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Question this seems to be a little early to ask us this cause I know the team will but this on their notes but we still got a good 3 to 5 months till the next dlc patch comes out. If some of these answers will be helpful for a balance and the team will tweak them. But my main question is "Will it matter?" cause there will be bugs in the thieves guild patch and I will know this cause the 2 other dlcs have a good amount of bugs and you guys will have to spend time on that and then balance. Like if the there is enough of people in the combat team at least like balance the bugs and combat gameplays. So that the players who are playing the game won't have to wait till 3 to 5 months to see change in gameplay. This patch is just magicka classes focus. You guys still have a good couple months till Dark Brotherhood to see change in stamina class abilities and tanking. The team could at least make small changes every month or so like little tiny damage reduce nerfs or slightly better buffs so that people could test it the skills or set to see if it's a good patch or a bad one. If it's bad go switch it back or just adjust it slightly to balance it.

I just don't want to see heavy armor getting buffs in Dark Brotherhood patch that is a good long time to see it or any buffs or balances to the game.
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Calling all Tanks!

I am no pro tank, but have tanked all the veteran dungeons as well as the AA/Hel-Ra trials back in the day.
    1. I enjoy the ability to tank damage while also contributing to my group's performance. In PvE, this means I have gone from a) simply grabbing the biggest baddies, to b) also providing CC on smaller enemies, and finally to c) starting to add some DPS rotation into my build. For PvP, this is a bit harder to do, as aggro isn't really a thing, I am mostly about making myself the center of attention and CC'ing enemies (I'm salivating at that guard change Wrobel mentioned in the works).
    2. The thing I like least about tanking in ESO is the fact that most of the content in game can now be done with 3DPS/1 healer. For example, instead of tanking on my 7/7 Heavy Dragonknight tank build, I'm now doing dungeons on my 7/7 medium armor Nightblade because I can simply taunt and then DPS dungeons! I guess this points to my second sadness about "tanking" or being tanky: heavy armor. This applies to PvE/PvP, where many players have found that they can be almost or even more tanky wearing light or medium armor! There are few good benefits (besides the block cost reduction 5 passive IMO) that heavy armor gives.
    3. My favorite encounter to tank would probably be... The Ash Titan in vCOA, there's something really cool about the fact that you have to kite two huge spinny guys while a titan spits fire at you!
    4. My all time least favorite encounter is the spriggan in Elden Hollow. The mechanics are unclear for many, and I often watch as my lower health buddies get killed by seemingly random AoE bursts... In general, I am not a huge fan of fights/encounters where all I really have do are stand still and taunt one or two guys (such as the flesh sculptor, bogdan, lord warden, etc.). I know I contribute in other ways, but I don't FEEL like I'm tanking, I'm just filling another role.
    5. I really like the magicka taunt. I know this sounds lackluster, but sometimes games go too far into holy trinity and make certain roles one sided, and you can definitely roll either a magicka or stamina reliant tank (although healing role is magicka reliant really, but that is not this thread...)
    6. I really think heavy armor needs to be further incentivized. If it didn't have the block cost reduction 5 piece passive, I don't think I'd even run it. I think there are plenty of good suggestions on the forums for heavy armor buffs, and I think you already are working on it, but it needs to come ASAP. And please, don't simply buff it by increasing armor rating/armor rating passives! Off the top of my head, I'd recommend increased sustain passives by buffing constitution, maybe a solid value instead of % increase for health recovery, and bringing the max health/healing received passives up to par with those similarly found in light/medium armor.

Hope this is found helpful!
    Edited by Glory on February 23, 2016 12:56AM
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check signature for system.

1. Tanking is not a simple taunt and buckle down, though there is heavy pressure from PUGs to do just that in the name of "optimal dps." While not as strong a feeling as it once was, the knowledge of knowing you control the flow of battle is/was my favorite part. The versatility tanks had in early game is what I like the most about ESO tanking: To not be an MMO Tank, but a full blooded Warrior. The difference between myself and the rest of the party was my heightened resilience and focus on crowd control / crowd buff. I was orchestrating the battle like a grand symphony, directing enemies and allies both away and towards each other through the application of buffs and debuffs. In the midst of controlling the flow of battle I was also able to significantly contribute to party damage. "ESO Tank" was actually a combination of "MMO Tank," "MMO DPS" and "MMO Healer."

2. The decreasing usefulness of tanks outside of holding agro. The latest dungeons, Imperial City Prison and White-Gold Tower are challenging and fun because they are challenging but they force the tank to become little more than a meat shield or risk dying swiftly to the light attacks of bosses. As this requires min/maxing into Health and Armor, it makes the tank significantly less satisfying to play for trash pulls.

3. Favorite encounter... Favorite encounter... I do have one, from the older content, but I am struggling to remember just exactly what it was... It might have been Mad Mortine, the first boss in Veteran Spindleclutch. It successfully creates the feeling of bull charging into a swarm of enemies, like we idealize heavy armor warriors to do. I could stand in the thick of it and contribute to the fight via Blazing Shield.

The most important fight though was Captain Blackheart. His mechanic forced me into versatility (multi-roling) and taught me the rarity of healers. I craft several of my swords in the image of Blackheart's Skullmaker to honor the lessons learned in that hard fought victory.

Edit: Posts above reminded me of Veteran City of Ash and Valkyn Skoria. This is a fight I rarely do recently, rarely doing pledges and not many LFGs for farming the helm. However, the final boss fight is a very fun test of skill, requiring a lot of movement and minimal resource management. The hard mode is a bit arbitrary but overall the most enjoyable of the newer content fights.

4. Among my least favorite is the Planar Inhibitor and Hiath the Battlemaster on Veteran mode. The Planar Inhibitor would be a fun fight and design if not for the aforementioned inability for players to effectively multi-role like in the past. The tank becomes dead weight as the min/max into Health and Armor leaves minimal ability to damage.

Hiath the Battlemaster is a boss so hard I and others who have tanked him nearly quit the role on. Executing the player-made strategy with only one tank forces that one tank to be not only min/maxed into tanking to survive the collective damage of 3 bosses and fire rings, but also still be powerful enough to heal him/herself. This simply is not possible, hence many tanks who attempt this boss come to the verge of quitting, thinking themselves inadequate for the job. Once conquered, only confidence remains, but the frustration is unlikely to be there if DPS were encouraged to also take agro.

5. My favorite tool for tanking is anything that allows me to deal efficient AoE damage, especially counter damage. Abilities like Blazing Shield and Volatile Armor to a lesser extent reward charging into the fray and staying in the middle of it. Group buffs like Radiant Aura leave a satisfying feeling when you know your party is performing above 100% because of you.

6. Major Evasion is a big tool for tanking. Even prior to Update 7, it was useful to have as it was separate from Armor (and not subject to the cap). After the elimination of Stamina Recovery while blocking, Major Evasion became necessary not only to cope with ever increasing damage from bosses (WGT and ICP) but also to reduce the cost of blocking (evaded attacks are not blocked attacks). As a Templar and Dragonknight, the only options are full sets like Hist Bark, pigeonholing the build into just tanking, and Evasion from Medium Armor, which requires a massive chunk of Stamina to activate.

No Stamina Recovery while blocking would not be so bad if Armor alone with a single damage shield or defensive buff were enough to handle all damage. However blocking grants a significant 50% reduction to damage. Even when min/maxed into Health and Armor, I still need to turtle to survive. Whether it be allowing some Stamina Recovery while blocking or buffing the effectiveness of passive mitigation, tanking has simply become harder since the change.

What I miss the most about group play in past balancings is how blurred each role was. Multi-roling was expected of party members and pure min/max builds were a liability due to the lack of versatility. The balance changes to make min/max builds a more viable form of play made versatile builds unviable.
    Edited by Ffastyl on February 23, 2016 1:22AM
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Spuddlethud
    Spuddlethud
    ✭✭
    Tanking was always my favorite roll, but after the stamina regen nerf, I lost interest. Heavy armor doesn't mitigate enough damage and I hate relying on Templar shards the whole fight. In addition, other than Hist Bark and Footman (which isn't even v16) there aren't many other "optimal" options.

Oh, and no, a tank shouldn't have to switch gear for a boss fight to be all DPS. Why don't you make the DPS switch gear to heals for a fight? Makes as much sense.
  • DKsUnite
    DKsUnite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant taunt all mobs so it makes you think as to who is priority to tank first. Tanks can still get 1 shot by some mechanics if you don't play well.

How useless you can be in some instances. I know i never run tank in darkshade cavern. In vWGT (i think it's that one) you force the tank to have a dps set up because tanking on one of the boss encounters doesnt work but you never force the DPS or healers to have to change their set ups. If you build for a tank you shouldnt have to have a DPS set up aswell just because of a dungeon mechanic.

vDSA

Darkshade Caverns

Choking talons, cinder storm, heroic slash, chain pull

Guard. Needs alot of work. Too many negatives to run.
    Vyr Cor | Magicka Dragonknight | DC
    Vir Cor | Stamina Dragonknight | DC

Latest Videos:
    Magicka Dragonknight: Vyr Cor | "A Dragon's Fury" | Magicka Dragonknight PvP
    Stamina Dragonknight: Vir Cor | "Heathen" | Stamina Dragonknight PvP

Youtube: CorGaming
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll first say that (on pc) my tank alt has spent a vast majority of their time in pvp, but that is a whole other can of worms but I have been playing a lot in the IC sewers and will give my opinion from pve fights there. Hopefully the state of tanks/heavy armor in pvp is already well known.

I like being able to stand my ground where others have to run. The ability to be that durable and knowing that if anyone else were taking the damage they would be dead. That makes me feel useful, and when on my tank I get this urge to jump in the way of npc charges and try to take as much damage as possible. It is almost an obsession to take damage as much as possible while on that alt and I like that.

As others have said, while on a tank I don't have the resource sustain. When pulling agro from banners I need to avoid a lot of damage. Blocking helps with some of this but you need to stay mobile, and both light and medium armor provide the resource sustain needed to keep going. If you are tanking large damage and using heavy armor you don't have the ability to keep going in fights without someone spoon feeding you resources or with breaks in the fight. Also it is so common to just not need tanks.

As I said my tank spends most of their time in cyrodiil I have to say I love finding banner bosses and just kiting them. I casually tanked a banner for a good 25min and got it to kill some players that wandered by before I got enough allies to help me kill them. That is always fun, trying to see how far I can take the fight and how long it will last. But mostly I like fights where my low dps and high durability will be useful.

When i'm useless. There are some fights where just going pure dps is the best call, and what would someone who is built to take damage do? I know people have high resist, high weapon damage builds that can do both but I like this tank as a tank and am built for it. But so many fights in this game just don't need it and in those situations I may as well drop group and have someone who can help the other burst down the boss jump in. I don't like feeling useless, and right now with the low value of health and resist, and the low need for a tank, this happens often.

My tank is only v2 (almost v3 and I intentionally leveled them as slowly as possible) and is still using level 45ish armor. Akatosh Blessed Armor is the most amazing thing i've used. With the nerf to block casting this set gives me the time I need to drop block and do heavy attacks to regen against enemies that would otherwise kill me in no time.

1.) Resource management - this game demands it to survive and tanks in general sacrifice it to survive.
    2.) Damage/heals gain power by pooling everything into one thing or another, neither of those being health. Tanks are so reliant on others and if you aren't in the position to channel damage your way and not able to keep yourself up in a fight (unless you are in the position to be maintained by a support) then you will fall very easily.
    3.) Many of the tanking sets (of which there are few) don't come in good level ranges. Akatosh Blessed Armor is amazing, but it is outleveled before you even get a full set. There are 2 base game sets that shoot lightning out of you while taking damage, but those are mostly just colorful light shows, several sets like Pariah need you to fall to low health which is just asking for trouble. More interesting sets, more leveled sets, and more sets that play to taking a large number of hits would at least make tanking more interesting. And the new set, the warriors furry set(?), could be nice but it needs crits and as this is a pve thread that set which could be useful is useless (and in pvp 25 crits is likely followed by death, lots of pain and death).
    EDIT 4.) I forgot about this one, that's how bad it is. Guard, a skill that makes you take damage, is suicide to run. You don't have the resource sustain to keep it up yet are still taking heavy damage, and this skill is a missed opportunity by definition. I get there are already changes planned, but the sooner we know what is being changed the sooner we can provide constructive feedback on them.
    Edited by CP5 on February 23, 2016 4:30AM
  • Praeficere
    Praeficere
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started the game in 1.5 playing in non-vet PvP the moment I hit level 10 on my first character, staying there for 3 characters from level 10 - v1. After some months, myself and a group of friends decided to explore PvE and the world of Vet. I took on the tanking role, a prideful and demanding position that suited my style developed from leading in Cyrodiil, and with my close-knit group of friends we levelled from v1 onwards by dungeoneering and delving in Craglorn. I began using V1 Dragonguard, soon after giving myself the title "The Tank Who Died First" in jest from my awful performance at the beginning. I forwent functionallity for style and used a light hat and chest, with the smaller pieces being heavy. It was white/green, I couldn't afford blue improvement materials.. let alone purple. I do miss the times of spending hours learning a new boss, over 3 hours on the Garron in Wayrest Sewers for example - which funnily enough is over in one minute these days. Learning PvE with a close group with sub-optimal gear provided immense challenges and satisfaction. Blood Altar was even used... When learning PvE, we all had to work together and develop strategy for hours rather than Tank hold block, DDs 1-Button AoE, Healer be a DD and spam BoL now-and-then.

I hoped this would be different in the new dungeons, vWGT and vICP. Both are the same as always, lots of AoE-spam fest with trash and the lack of memorable fights. It would've been nice, if there was strategy or thought for fights between bosses instead of heaps of trash to draw out the dungeon. The boss fights in the dungeons are mostly different and fun, but there's a lot of upscaled trash mob that does more damage going on. I've tanked Trials from 1.5 and now - though I'm now building up my old guild PvP/social guild to attempt Sanctum soon. (We've done HR/AA in their entirerty.) Trials are the worst offenders, all a Tank can literally do is hold right click - especially in vMoL, not helping our team in the slightest, just making sure we don't run out of stamina.

(Note: I do have PvP-focused suggestions, however since this is a PvE thread, I will focus only on that.)

Anyway, onto the topic:

It is a hard role to master, and evolves with each dungeon run. Even now after close to a year, I'm still learning and developing myself in even the easiest of dungeons. It mostly is positioning, which is mainly what Tanks do. Positioning is a key part of tanking, but there should be more than that. It's a well-sought after role, perhaps mainly due to lack of will to bore yourself holding right click.

Tanking, currently, is not fun or satisfying. As a tank, I don't feel impactful or useful. With a good team, you can tank with a far lower amount of Resistance and Max Stamina to become a psuedo-DD. With weaker group members, you are left to fall asleep with your right mouse button taped down. This is not tanking, nor is it enjoyable. A tank should not be measured on how long they are able to right click, but how they control the enemy and aid their allies in the fight.

There are very few ways to counter enemy NPCs, you can bash interrupt a small number of their abilities but that's it. Positioning is helpful. But really, we're just there holding right click - not able to use the small number of tools we have. It's hard to find a slot for skills such as Fossilise and Eclipse as a tank. Game would be so much lovelier with 6 abilities on each bar rather than 5. I will give my suggestions in the answer to the 6th question.

Pre-nerf Overfiend. (Buff back the IC dungeons, all dungeons!)I like to think it was a true test of a tank. The Overfiend was a monster to tank, having to kite him around the objects in the room to avoid some of his Flurry. You were mostly self-sufficent, as your group members would be busy with the mobs that spawned until they had a few moments to dps onto the boss. In addition to tanking the Overfiend and making sure you interrupted each of his attacks when you could, you had to move to the Harvester and keep it under control while watching yourself and the Overfiend's abilities. It could've been better, but it was one of the most intense tanking fights next to Valkyn Skoria. You had responsibilities and options rather than only holding right click.

Valkyn Skoria currently is my favourite boss to tank on Live, infact, vCoA is always a fun dungeon to Tank when not DPS-cheesing. The Firemaw requires constant movement and coordination with group members, and the Tank is often alone handling the boss as it gets stronger and stronger, adding pressure onto your allies to kill the mobs quickly and effectively. The Ash Titan is a different kind of fight, I like to tank him on the outskirts of the room, roll-dodging his ranged abilities so that I both avoid its damage and stop a ground AoE. However, when the Air Atronachs come and DPS isn't too high, they're a challenge for all four members to position and aid the tank as he handles the Titan and Atronachs which do an insane amount of damage. Valkyn Skoria is demanding on all members. Positioning is critical and awareness is critical, and a Tanks movement cannot be forgiving - there can be no mistake when tanking Skoria, an intense and fun fight. There's lots going on, lots of things to move around and it's very hard to recover if a mistake is made. If it gets to the point where there's no platforms.. damn that's an awesome fight.

Hiath in vDSA was great. Learning vDSA was great. Without v16 DPS cheese, it's still a great fight. For the tank that is, the Healer and DDs have a pretty boring time with Hiath as the Tank takes him all the way back for himself. Tanking feels important there, you need to be good and know your stuff, as well as have practise with your team to do vDSA successfully even with v16 gear and CP.

Suprisingly, some of the trash packs on vCoA are some of the more fun in the game, I can't quite put my thoughts on why though. Perhaps it feels like we're pushing through to reach an objective in a varied environment, something which vWGT tried to do but failed with repetitive trash fillers for most of the dungeon. The mini-bosses on vCoA are actually enjoyable too. I feel like vCoA is one of the best dungeons made. Some of what you did there and learnt was applied somewhat to vICP and vWGT but.. it's just so much AoE spam on Trash mob which each encounter is the same... Oh and all those Crematorial guards, way too many.

A lot of them, the ones which require little interaction. Where the tank is left to sleep with his right mouse down as he has done for most of the dungeon. Where the DDs sit still and weave their super-crazy DPS and the Healer is also a DD with an occasional BoL when a DD derps in red while getting carried away with his Overload light attacks. Playing through some of the normal dungeons, they're a nice breath of fresh air compared to most of the veteran dungeons. While they lack mechanics, it feels like they were more fun and creative for some of their boss fights, such in normal CoH with the huge bone collussus and the 2 brothers at the end. A lot of the normal dungeons have more story, and feel more progressive such as with Tempest Island with such a varied environent pushing to the top of a mountain with fun little fights. Knocking some mobs off the clifface for example. Oh, and Vaults of Madness.. the last boss.. you need more spice like that.

I'd like to answer this, but what is there? We taunt and right click. Using some light and heavy attacks when we can. Saying that, Chains on a DK and Talons are great. Chaining mobs in is fun, especially when they're about to slap your group memeber, and lets you position the fight to your advantage. I wish all tanks could use chains, it's why DK tanks are mainly played. They're the class with practically the only interactive tools, even if few. Talons lets you lock enemies into a certan position, you can forego taunting some of them. They also look cool.

On my Templar, well.. I'd like to use Purifying Light to add healing and more damage for my team, and Eclipse to chuck on those cheeky mages, but there's just no room at all with so few ability slots when we have so many class defining skills and so many basic and bland skills we need to tank (Defensive Posture, Low Slash, Taunts, Armour buff). Puncturing Sweep is probably the defining skill of a Templar tank, you can switch to it near the end of a fight and do some additional damage when there's not much pressure sometimes. Maybe move some of the boring and uninteractive skills as Heavy Armour passives, free us some slots. Just throwing this out there, maybe wearing 5-7 pieces ( I'm reluctant to suggest 7 due to medium/light Monster set pieces) grants you Major Ward and Major resolve to save us a slot. We could swap out our armour buff (although Templar's channeled Focus gives nice Magicka), or we could fit in Evasion where we had our armour buff to increase our durabiltiy. How about some nice little passives in Heavy Armour, such as interrupting an enemy attack grants Empower on your next attack, or additional ultimate regeneration. Just something that at leasts benefits Tanks and gives them some interaction in their playstyle. There are a lot of great suggestions on the forums, I'm sure you've seen them.

Tanks need more tools to help them control. Templars lack CC, NBs have fear which ruins positioning, Sorcs have... Streak? DKs have Chains and Talons. All classes have great class and non-class Ultimates they can use, but give us some actual tools to help us do the job and actually benefit our team. I'd also like the ability to buff my team somewhat. Hm, being hit when in 5 heavy applies Minor Beserk to allies around you? Of course, that's not an interactive tool which we so dearly need, but it's an easy enough start to hook in. Let me rally my team to victory, sunder my enemies! Not just... *zzz* right click *zzz*. I'm right clicking so well, I saw one less Impulse and Steel Tornado cast.

(Adapted from earlier comments)

Firstly, and most importantly: Heavy Armour.

Tanks aren't squishy in PvE. The issue however is that mitigation is tied almost entirelly to blocking. It's not Heavy Armour that makes you durable, it's blocking. Blocking should be smart, timed to counter the heavy blows and special attacks of certain enemies, not something you have to maintain for the majority of the time while fighting for even the smallest of scratches. This is a very dull playstyle, and of course, makes Heavy Armour practically fluff apart from the Reduced Block Cost Passive - which is the only thing Heavy Armour offers.

There have been a lot of good suggestions on the forums, amongst the more colourful posts, here's mine which is also a common one:
    • Reduce the amount of mitigation blocking provides.
    • Increase the amount of resistance Heavy Armour gives.
    • Increase the resistance cap.

This allows you to take some hits while in Heavy Armour without blocking 24/7. When you do block, it's timed or reactionary to add the extra mitigation when you need it against a certain attack. Blocking mitigation should be reduced alongside HA and general resistance changes to avoid a silly amount of mitigation. Most importantly, this also allows for a tank to carry another weapon on their 2nd bar such as a 2h or a Restoration Staff, rather than 2x Sword and Shield, adding variety and specialisation to tanking. A lot of the tools are here, but the weakness of Heavy Armour and imbalance of blocking, stops them being used.

How much more fun would tanking be if you could switch out to a Resto for longer than a second and help with healing, or pull out a 2h from your back to cleave through your enemies *hint - Brawler, I want to use*. There's a lot of abilities in the Weapon Skill lines we could use that could make tanking so much nicer, but we just can't unless we want to be a goof dying all the time.

I'm not saying we become Healing Spring or Steel Tornado spamming tanks, I'd hate that. (Although, again, most PvE content is doable with 4 DDs.) But the opportunity in some situations to use another weapon where we can do something, would be great. Now, I don't mean forcing us like in the Planar Inhibitor fight (which I do like, it spices things up and tests the adapability of players, a Tank who wants to improve should have DD experience on-hand anyway as seeing dungeons from other (DD/Heal) perspectives is invaluable.) It was a nice fight, just not too much of it.

The above change I do firmly believe in and is needed to make Tanking worthwhile. It will open so many doors to Tanks previously closed. It's not only the Heavy Armour passives, which are very bad currently, but game-wide mitigation and resistance.

And the fact that most dungeons can be rushed through with 4 DDs.. you shouldn't worry about a Tank being able to deal some damage and feel like he's contributing.

Heavy Armour does not aid damage much at all currently, and I'd rather that remain. Adding damage passives to Heavy Armour can very easily make it overpowered (It's either that or the damage passives being useless) if its durability is increased , although not as much as current Magicka Sorcs I jokingly add. I'd rather Heavy Armour be durable enough to allow you to use damaging abilities. Heavy Armour could passively reflect a portion of incoming damage, or have a small-AoE pulse on being hit every few seconds. The current issue of Armour skill lines is that it is almost all stat-boosts and lack active "passvies"/abilities, which discourages any larger changes that could make the game fun all-round.

Ultimate Regeneration in the Heavy Armour line is an often-suggested idea. And it's great. Many ults serve as great tools and are fun to use, would be fabulous if we could use them more and have more of an impact.

Many attribute the current bore of tanking to the Stamina Regen blocking nerf. I feel this change was added to encourage a more active tanking playstyle, however, it forces all Tanks to follow a certian build structure so that they can upkeep their block. Sure, I can itemise for more Magicka regeneration in my build, but to use what? Igneous shield? It's awfully weak and is only used to return stamina. There is a huge lack of tools and active abilities for tanks to use, I feel like some skill morphs need changing to allow a tank to use them effectively by possibly scaling to max-stat, and reworked to team-support skills. The change to Igneous Weapons is a start, but not what we need. We pretty much are relegated to blocking and neither being impactful or useful.

I'd also like to see a change to the Maelstrom sword to assist Tanks. Giving Heroic Slash a small damage increase isn't exactly useful, as it's used as a debuff only on bosses. If Tanks would use it to deal damage now-and-then, well, we wouldn't have the stamina to block the next attack and be one shot. The Stamina return on a full heavy attack is OK in my experience, I can heavy attack a fair amount however the stamina return is very small. Maybe it could apply a buff or another debuff, if not at least increase the stamian return on it.

The Undaunted skill line could be expanded to add tools to tanks. Currently the only abilities used are the ranged taunt for obvious reasons, and magicka orbs which.. don't work on Live. Webs is sometimes used as a damaging ability in PvP.
    Bone Shield is nice, I use it sometimes on my DK Healer, however it is unusable as a tank as you don't have the stamina for it. Blood Altar is a bit useless, needs a complete rework.

A big problem is that most of the abilities scale on Spell/Weapon Damage and Stamina/Magicka (Where tanks have low damage, and a balanced Stamina/Magicka pool). Most abilities aren't even worth using if we could even use them since they scale so poorly to what a tank needs.

What I would really like to see is more accessible utility sets like that which drop in the IC dungeons such as Imperium and Leeching. Even after 100s of WGT and ICP runs, I still haven't finished even one set... we're practically at Thieves' Guild now and sets released more than half a year ago are still not usable by many since the drop is so low. Utility sets can be a great way to add tools for Tanks while you work on abilities and Tanking mechanics as a whole.

Weapon swapping shouldn't drop block in my opinion. It restricts tanks even more as in hard fights like in Trials, you can't weapon swap at all.

I've been rambling on. I'll add more later another night. I hope you good fellows at ZOS can make sense of what I've written here, although the late night rambling of a passionate and moody tank might have value. Tanking in this game has so much potential, I just wish we saw updates sooner than with DLC with less bandaid fixes so we could really improve on the game. Feel free to message me if you wish for any expansion on points given here, I have written a lot of fluff here and there's a fair few that could be expanded.

Edit: Oh, you might want to move this topic from Adventure Zones & Group Dungeons to a more visited area. I only found out about this post from a comment in another thread.

I also forgot to mention: PC, EU.

And please, let's have some more unique bosses, at least even a slight retexture. Most bosses in this game are upscaled trash mobs. Heck, even the last boss in the new Trial is an upscaled Grevious Twilight with some blue lines slapped on.
    Edited by Praeficere on March 4, 2016 6:10PM
    Though the shadow has moved not,
    A thousand miles I’ve passed –
    Ageless as the mountains but forgetting not the past.

Are you Resolute?
    PC EU Progression Guild
  • TheMadGod
    TheMadGod
    Soul Shriven
    Calling all Tanks!

Having only played Templar and NB tank I can only answer from those points of view, I'm also mainly taking into account class skills and 1h/shield.

Two answers here, my favorite thing about being a tank is that any class can tank.
    My other favorite part about tanking is the fact that I have the option to be mobile. Especially during certain bosses and that this game punishes standing still. Teleport striking/charging around the room and taunting everything just to clump them together in an ally's meteor or other AoE gives me a sense of accomplishment.

As a nightblade I haven't found anything I dislike about tanking. When I made my nightblade tank which is my second tank it was just like. "This is amazing!" I don't have much more to say about that.

Then that gets me into templar. What I like least about tanking as a templar is I feel that beyond holding the enemy and getting wailed on while everyone else stays healthy I'm not contributing very much to the group. I could heal people I guess but that's what the healer's for. With the Radiant Aura change coming that's going to make me feel better with that and backlash has been useful, but I just feel as a templar something's missing.

I prefer the slightly more complex encounters where everyone has something to do instead of just constantly wail on the boss. Whether someone has to break off from combat to kill feast orbs that are going to heal the boss or you get a buff/debuff and have to destroy portals. Even bosses where you just have to watch your footwork and positioning are fun, like Grothdarr.

As a Templar my least favorite things to tank are bosses that can't be taunted. I feel like I don't have the tools to dish out enough damage as a Templar tank to help and I feel like I lack CC for any adds said bosses might have.
    As a Nightblade tank I have yet to run into that problem. Though overall I've never been fond of bosses with "enrage timers", after so long or after so much damage if they get a little stronger that's fine but I don't like a boss becoming nigh impossible to kill after certain conditions are met.

For templar my favorite tools are my Channeled Focus for a nice resistance buff/magicka regen and soon to be Radiant Aura when the magicka recovery for the group is going to be added in if that content makes it to live from PTS.
    For Nightblade Siphoning Attacks hands down, I have no resource problems ever providing I keep it up constantly though sometimes in the chaos that is ESO I can forget about that.

Nothing I can think of that hasn't been already addressed by the team. I always try to make the best out of what's given to me. Though as a templar tank I find my resource management lacking for some reason I just can't quite put my finger on why. A regen passive or two might be nice now that I think about it.
  • Contraptions
    Contraptions
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that a good tank makes the encounter much easier, from trash mobs to bosses. While 3 dps 1 heal runs are viable, I always felt the traditional 1 tank 1 heal 2 dps felt much more fun.

The fact that tanking is kind of useless. DPS is king in all encounters, from levelling to the high end trials. Many many mechanics favour high DPS, and in some cases high DPS allows player to skip mechanics. I'm going to copy part of my old comment regarding the stam regen nerf here:

Most people think tanks aren't necessary, are boring to play and require no skill. And that's true, except in high end PVE, because everything else does laughable damage. I have seen people take unblocked heavy attacks from bosses and get up good as new after a heal. I have seen people stand in fire and LIVE. I have seen tanks that don't use a shield and think that taunt is a DPS skill. Is this gameplay we want to encourage?

The problem is both that enemy mobs don't hit hard enough with their special attacks. and that they take too long to use their skills. The average dungeon mob usually gets one or two attacks off before they die. I'm not blaming DPSes for killing them too quickly, because that's what they're meant to do. The least ZOS could do is to give the mobs more of a fighting chance through various skill sets. Imagine if ZOS made all mobs like the ones in DSA that had more skill variety. Give mobs Healing Springs, wards, Stampede and other skills. To make things fair, I suggest increasing the damage from sources that can be avoided (ie. blockable attacks, interruptible attacks, AOEs), but reducing the auto-attack damage from NPCs. Everyone, not just the tank, has to respond appropriately in combat.

Praxin Douare, High Kindlord Rilis, Spawn of Mephala, basically encounters with some movement and where positioning is important.

Grobull, Engine Guardian, basically anything that doesn't really need damage mitigation or prevention, and boils down to DPS.

Chains. Roots, some basic CC.

Add more of a support role for tanks, give them access to more debuffs that they can place on the enemy other than taunt. Improve passive mitigation options, heavy armor needs to reduce damage more, or have less of a heal/DPS penalty.

Patroller and Editor at UESP
  • Essiaga
    Essiaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just wish Templars had mitigation in class. I don't see why I would tank on my templar when I have other classes at maxed level. NB tank have far superior regen, etc ... DK are built for ANYTHING ... Sorc Ward is to BIG for PVP.

Worst reflect in the game in Eclipse. Sun Shields ok-ish but low duration isn't really made to tank with.
    Regen stinks too. Can't synergies my own shards and most boss encounters adds de-spawn leaving no corpses to Repent or there simply isn't any corpses till the fight ends. You have to BYO corpses with engine guardian.

Whole class comes down to self healing with jabs, BoL, and Cleansing Ritual (can't synergies my own Ritual either). Anyone with a resto staff has better tools then Templar has to tank IMO.

The class suffers from this in PVP too. Sorc dps are better equip to tank (and 'Stand Your Ground') then Templar Tank and the Templar Sun Shield suffers for it with Battle Spirit debuff to shields. Terrible balance between PVP/PVE and between the classes. All other classes now have solid self heals for PVE. Templar has had all mitigation for PVE and PVP stripped from them. Healing can't be all we can do but it is.

Sorry I didn't follow the format but ZOS doesn't seem to pay attention when Templars talk Templars anyways. Good luck tanks.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Background: I have been a tank for 16 of the 18 mmorpgs i have played and i have been tanking in ESO since launch. having played all the betas since July 2013, i feel as though i have an above average grasp of ESO mechanics. Not the best player in the game by any means, i still hold my own with a very healthy ESO career including things such as a prominent community leader, rank 22 in PVP, Emperor, 22574 score in VDSA, cleared all 12 man Trials hardmodes as main tank for my guild, etc etc etc. I can say with utter confidence that i have competitively main tanked every single shred of content eso has to offer.
    Disclaimer: The only thing i know is Dragon Knight Magicka Tanking. like, for real. everything i say is based around DK Mag Tank. Keep that in mind
    With that being said:

In most hot key centric mmorpgs, things like blocking an attack is random. things like bashing an opponent is a hot keyed skill complete with cool down or something that is procced off another skill. In ESO, tanking is much more active. I know there was a lot of complaints about just holding a shield up and face tanking things in the game, but i actually enjoy that. mostly because im not always just blocking. im casting shields, and using abilities while holding my block up and taking massive hits. i want to feel like the Bulwark. give me a shield, and let me shield wall up!

Tanks in ESO are the only truly hybrid role in the game. I say im a Magicka Tank, but my stats generally sit around 30k Mag, 22k Stam, 30k hp. Those are pretty even stats imho. All the skills i use are magicka based except Pierce Armor. Every. Other. One. thats why i say im a magicka tank. but the truth of it is, i use all three resources rather evenly. I dps a lot as a tank. in pvp i run 5/1/1 heavy and rock 3845 spell dmg. this is the same set up i use in VDSA while maintaining 28k physical resistance. it was a great moment to have tweaked my build to the point where i could achieve this beautiful synergy of resource - damage - survivability, but getting here took a lot of work. I dont play the meta tank. First off, apparently Magicka tanks are rare (which is ridiculous) but i also tank all HM Trials in Twice Born Star, and Julianos. yep, still hard capped in physical and spell resistance. Yep, resources still baller, dont break a sweat. so while everyone else seems to think Hist Bark is the bomb.com, Im doing my thing and feeling great about it. With ALL this being said, if i had to pick the LEAST favorite thing about competitive tanking - its the accessibility. there is no "max stat" to focus on, you need to build for ALL THREE whereas no other role has to do that. Honestly, im not even complaining, I obviously feel very confident in what i bring to the table, but the question was to pick one thing so i nitpicked :-P

Oh boy. I love all things tanking. so to pick one is boo. Every encounter brings some degree of accomplishment when done well. In VDSA, the "HODOR" method of the tank bringing Hiath to the other side of the lava and holding your own without a healer, and then learning the timing for his fire drops, man, when i achieved all that, i felt like a king. now, i just burn hiath to the ground but whatever. the Axes in HM AA final boss. phew, they hit hard. and its hard to target them with them swinging all in your face like that. thats cool. Mantikora was a beast. um. . . I mean, i love all things to tank. sorry.

As i mentioned above, i love all things to TANK. right? so when i cant TANK i dont effing like it. STOP ZOS i want my role to be meaningful. GW2 tried no trinity and they failed a taunt mechanic has now been introduced in GW2. so STOP with the no tanking crap. tanks want to TANK. let us TANK. so what am i talking about? PLANAR INHIBITOR. give me a break, you literally cant tank as the boss aggros onto whoever closed the pinion. i switch to light armor and dps the entire fight! its disappointing to say the least.

oh boy. as a DK, Hardened Armor. it is THE bread and butter. you should never leave home without it and it should be active ALL the time. its a draconic ability, so having it active passively increases healing received by 12% - thats and its the easiest way to stay hard capped in all encounters. you should not be tanking as a DK and not run this skill constantly. love it. just wish it didnt make me look like a stegosaurus. but you know, Pierce Armor is a great taunt. Magma Shell is a godmode button. Extended chains sets the DK class apart from anyone else. Igneous shields is fantastic. the list goes on. I have a lot of abilities and tools as a tank that make the role fun!

Heavy Armor Passives. they suck. I heard in the ESO Live you guys were already looking into changing them up in the future so i sat down and really looked at what i was getting and like, Health Recovery?! come on. they just look so wimpy. they dont need to be reworked from the ground up, but the values are in much need of an increase.
    Edited by Rickter on February 23, 2016 7:37AM
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Sneakles
    Sneakles
    ✭✭
    I am purposefully keeping questions 1-5 short as I absolutely want to emphasize the last question.
    Let me start by saying that I play PC and have tanked "end game" on every class at some point (started with a Sorc tank at launch, moved to NB Sap tank, and now alternate between a Templar tank and an oh-so traditional DK tank. What can I say - I love tanking! Therefore - I'm really hoping @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_Finn would take the time to read my post. If nothing else please just read my #6, as I feel is is highly important. Of course feedback would be very much appreciated.

Strangely enough, I love the blocking mechanics of this game. In previous games I played block was simply a "chance" and not something you actively did.

I do feel as if I don't "lesson" the damage from my companions as much as I have in other games. This is mostly due to no AoE taunt (which I'm glad ESO doesn't have). I have heard about the future changes intended for "Guard" so I'm exceedingly excited for that.

I'm a pretty big fan of City of Ash, as it's a very nicely built dungeon all around.

Vet Imperial City Prisons. It's never fun, as a tank, to see your DPS struggle to kill flesh atronachs fast enough to prevent them enraging, and then getting one shot as a result.

Currently my favorite to tank with is the Templar, and from that class my favorite skill is Channeled Focus, for the armor buff and the magic regen it provides.

This is where I really want to make a few pointers on. I will try to be brief.

I strongly believe it would be highly beneficial to add in a non-class version of DK chains to the Undaunted or Fighters guild skill line. This would be HUGE for really contributing as a tank for my non DK characters. Honestly even though my Templar is currently my favorite class to tank with, I cannot help but feel inferior, and much less useful to a group because of my lack of chains. This is even more noticable as the level of difficulty for dungeons increases (such as trials and vDSA). That's why I stay away from trials on my templar tank.

Because of ESO's unique stance on not having an AoE taunt, I truly believe it is crucial for every tank to have access to more CC in order to be more involved in decreasing the damage to the group, and helping the DPS group targets for faster clearing. By adding in a non-class version of chains you would allow tanks to feel more involved in the tanking process. They would feel like they are not only helping reduce damage being done to the group but also help improve the damage the group is outputting. A simple skill like this would allow all classes to be viable and highly competent tanks for even the most challenging content.

Currently we have something close with the Silver Leash morph of Silver Bolts in the Fighters Guild, so maybe just improve that to work against any target (not just undead), and allow it to be a one time cast (right now it takes 2 casts to pull). I really believe this is a small change that everyone would receive gladly. I appreciate what Eric Wrobel said on ESO Live the other day about the my favorite class (templar) being a class with a "come get beaten down in my house" kind of mindset, so I would absolutely love a way to pull someone into it.

Briefly there are just a couple things that are worth mentioning (but not as important as chains in my opinion).

Nightblades: please please double the duration of Shadow Barrier. Every other class has a Armor/Resist buffs that last 20+ seconds, and yet with 5 heavy a NB tank can only have theirs last 9 seconds. I think 18 seconds with 5 heavy is the least you could do.
    Also, Siphoning Strikes could still use improvements. This is a very unique skill that is what makes NB tanks very cool to play, and very fun. I know there are threads dedicated to this so I will not go into detail.

Sword and Shield line: I would love to see some sort of AoE root similar to DK talons or Sorc Encase here. But, I do understand that those skills are some of the perks of playing those classes though so it isn't highly important. I did want to mention though that with the introduction of stun immunity on mobs in previous updates, these roots (which do not give off immunity) have become increasingly valuable to tanking difficult content.

Heavy Armor: I know this is already intended to be improved with Dark Brotherhood DLC so I will not go into detail on my opinions to improve it. For now, I am content that plans are being made for it.
    Edited by Sneakles on February 23, 2016 7:38AM
  • Cogo
    Cogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling all Tanks!

The huge variation how to tank and how much you can improve outside of gear. Personal skill really is the most powerful skill in tanking. I've seen vet 16 tanks fail horribly in trials, when a newbie vet 5 tank don't. Players really shows between tanks.

Tanking by aggro everything and press 1 button to taunt while stand still and block anyone can do.

Tanking in ESO is really a skill you have to master. And some are simply better then others. I have tanked since launch and the only part I did not like was the first year when Light armor was as solid as heavy. I tank in medium as well as heavy. I have tested avoid/dodge and simple move while blocking only when I get hit, then release block.

How effective I tank is really up to how good I am. Not how well I plate up my character.

Light armor tanks works as well, on skilled tanks who utilize magika to mitigate, and add damage. I have yet to be able to do this, but seen tanks who can.

The constant nerfing of bosses to make them easy to tank, without effort.

Titan, the REAL version in City of Ash. And tanking players in Cyrodiil.

Anything that don't require me to pay attention.

Most bosses in group dungeons are outright boring. Stop nerfing them!

I am very fast on blocking before I get attacked. I can "read" the situation and react, which makes me far more effective then just standing and hold block.

The "tool" I like the most is that there is no set way to tank and a lot depends on team work instead of class/skills.

More diversity, not more power. Stamina is not any problem anymore. With a templar in group it's I'm never out of stamina. A boss attack which stops any stamina generation for 10 seconds would rock!

Tanking in ESO
    I have tanked for years in several MMOs such as Everquest, WoW and Anarchy Online.
    The ESO tank style is unique and I can still improve my game. In all other MMOs you hit the roof with gear or how many healers spammed you.

I really enjoy how different you tank different encounters. Never change that!
    Oghur Hatemachine, Guild leader of The Nephilim - EU Megaserver
    Orc Weapon Specialist and Warchief of the Ebonheart Pact - Trueflame Cyrodiil War Campaign
    Guildsite: The Nephilim

"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"
    -Voltaire

"My build? Improvise, overcome and adapt!"
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont you give other classes a Chains equivalent, ZOS. dont you do it. every class brings something unique to the table. Chains are a DK thing.
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    dont you give other classes a Chains equivalent, ZOS. dont you do it. every class brings something unique to the table. Chains are a DK thing.

I have to say I've been wishing Silver Leash were a chain pull for a long time. They are after all the Fighters Guild, not the magical daedra hunter's guild.

On the matter of cc as the last few folks have discussed, I have to say the low quality of CC is a big problem I have with the Templar class, particularly in the way it effects tanking.
    <And plenty more>
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling all Tanks!

@ZOS_Finn ,

Thanks for opening this official thread !

Much appreciated :)

Edited by hrothbern on February 23, 2016 8:30AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling all Tanks!

1. I like the feeling of being strong enough to withstand some significant punishment while being able to control the room. I also like having a build that permits me to swap to dps when I need to and back to tank with a simple change of clothes and maybe a champ point realignment. No significant respecing with my live build.

2. A couple things. #1 In large groups, the tanks get nothing. I'm talking about Imperial City Sewer groups here. You could control the room until the cows come home but if you don't out dps or out heal the others you get NOTHING!. #2 The frequent skill Nerfs! Seriously it started with Stamina regen while blocking being removed, and now even Siphon Tanking is taking a huge hit in the coming patch when siphoning attacks proc structure changes. :( Not cool. You can balance the game around damage dealing all you like, but each time a skill like this gets reworked a tank dies a little inside.

3. Favorite VICP - yeah, tough dungeon but you're tough as nails if you roll your character right and have a good sense of the fights. I especially like Lord Warden's rapid shot mechanic. Keeps me on my toes.

4. Least favorite - Mantikora. For all my mitigation I still have to work on a single bar for that fight less I risk dropping my guard for a split second and wiping the raid. Makes the fight kind of boring for a tank.

5. The 5 piece armor master set has become a corner stone of my build. Caltrops for aoe snare and initial aggro pull. Oh did I mention Siphoning Attacks? Nightblade tank here.

6. In general I'd like to see heavy armor mitigation buffed further. I can stack mitigation until the cows come home, but it's still hamstrung by a silly 50% damage cap. If anything I'd at least like to know the exact cap so I can focus my build on shoring up other areas of need.
    Edited by lonewolf26 on February 23, 2016 9:47AM
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Heavy armour is really lackluster, there is like a billion threads on this forum about that subject.
    • Health regen is the worst stat in the game. Can you please rework some passives that try to make this one better, like the DK passives that increase health regen? This is really a horrible stat.

Besides that I kinda like to tank, PvE and PvP.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.