The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Feedback Thread for Champion System Updates

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the latest Champion System updates, including the new cap and catch-up mechanic. Specific feedback the team is looking for includes:
  • How do you feel about the new gain rate of Champion Points?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way for us to test the catch-up mechanic if we have an account that has a fair number of CP?
    The Moot Councillor
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Good question. The best thing to do is wait until your copied characters aren't on the PTS. In this case, we're copying all North American megaserver characters today, so European megaserver players can test this first with new or templated characters.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said this in another thread. one of the things that originally drew me to the game was the fact that CP was uncapped which differentiated it from other MMO's that i got bored with rather quickly. so naturally i'm not a fan of the cap. Personally, i would have preferred a 'no CP Cyrodiil campaign' as well as players with low CP gaining CP quicker, while leaving the rest of it uncapped.
    Edited by Lucky28 on October 6, 2015 4:02PM
    Invictus
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »
    I've said this in another thread. one of the things that originally drew me to the game was the fact that CP was uncapped which differentiated it from other MMO's that i got bored with rather quickly. so naturally i'm not a fan of the cap. Personally, i would have preferred a 'no CP Cyrodiil campaign' as well as players with low CP gaining CP quicker, while leaving the rest of it uncapped.

I find it sad that there is always a split in opinions for the player base every time zos makes a decision. They can never win.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it sad that there is always a split in opinions for the player base every time zos makes a decision. They can never win.

how is that sad. it's life. you can't please everyone no matter what you do. everyone has different preferences when it comes to games and gameplay. 1.6 for example was my ideal in regards to ESO PvP and there are people who disagree with that option and hated 1.6
    Edited by Lucky28 on October 6, 2015 4:24PM
    Invictus
  • kaorunandrak
    kaorunandrak
    ✭✭✭

Opinions are like butt-holes everyone has one, and some people don't clean em either >;p. But yeah man they will never be able to "win" it's the internet mentality "its not what I want so lets thrown down like a 3 year old fighting a nap". And then there's the "over protective mother, my child can do no wrong he just became a *** because he had to" apologist mentality that some people have developed as well.

But here is a middle of the lane opinion from me, I think this is a solid idea and a fair change, I am however concerned with how they came to this number based off the averages put up to defend it by Rich, it is hard to believe the average CP for pc is only 96, especially when almost every person I team with and most people on these and other forums are claiming to have over 500+.

That said as long as this cap doesn't over stay it's welcome and doesn't introduce some other glitch where people are able to by pass it, or take advantage of it some way I think we will be in good shape moving forward. But I think that will be the struggle for them.
    Edited by kaorunandrak on October 6, 2015 4:28PM
    Guild Leader of The Crimson Moon PVE/PVP NA
    Join CM! http://thecrimsonmoon.enjin.com/page/724665/recruitment?gid=72859-0

Kaoru Nandrak - V16 DK Stamina DPS 2h/Heavy
    Jaoul Deathbringer - V16 NB Stamina DPS DW/Medium
    Zantare Deshuld - V16 NB Magicka Sap Tank S&B/Heavy
    Jarl Nan'Drak - Sorc Magika DPS 2h/Light
    Vilder Ymirson- Temp Magika DPS DW/Light
    Graywulf Odakai- DK Magika Tank S&B/Heavy
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

how is that sad. it's life. you can't please everyone no matter what you do. everyone has different preferences when it comes to games and gameplay. 1.6 for example was my ideal in regards to ESO PvP and there are people who disagree with that option and hated 1.6

I agree.

For instance, I think they would have been better off with implementing very strong diminishing returns for CP the higher you go. Like exponential diminishing returns instead of a hard cap. This way the progress is always there, just more brutal the higher level you get.

Now it's likely that every time they raise the CP cap, people will just instantly be at the new cap. Kind of lame imo.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going forward, will dungeons and other instanced content ever scale off group leader CP instead of group leader VR? Right now, the VR level of an instance does not tell you much. Vet Banished Cells at VR16 is nothing like Vet Imperial Prison at VR16. I am not sure I want every dungeon to automatically morph into the difficulty of Vet IP and Vet WGT! Nor am I sure that Vet IP and Vet WGT should auto-scale down to a VR16 with 75 CP.

But I think we can agree that the scaling by VR level, which made perfect sense a year ago, is not as effective as it once was. There is a much bigger variance between players of the same VR than there was before the CP system. Even with the CP cap. I don't know the solution, just pointing it out so smarter people than me can give it some thought. :-)
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people have been waiting for this cap for a very long time.
    I think, this is the best new change and a cap of 501 CP is a very balanced choice.

Yes, people should have some kind of reward for playing the game. But having nothing to do but farming goblins in Cracked Wood Cave all day long to become overpowered compared to average players is not fair for the majority. This cap is very very health to bring back balance and equality. We shall slowly raise it over time and good :)

Skill should always be more important than the amount of Champion Points you have. So if everyone has almost the same amount, nobody can blame Champion points, it's all about skill,luck and situations then
    Edited by Dracane on October 6, 2015 4:36PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The people that are on the hunt to get more powerful because they need an unfair advantage to be better I don't care about, but some people just want to be able to progress their characters in some way and that I am okay with.

How about you guys come up with a way to spend points beyond 501 that doesn't grant anything that provides a significant in-combat advantage. Examples include buffing your deconstructing skill, buffing your drop rates on various things, reducing repair costs, buffing xp gain, inventory space, bank space, how much damage your gear takes, how fast your repair in cyrodiil, reduce crown store costs for the really really high end people like 2000+, unlocking cosmetics, unlocking new mounts, and whatever non-direct combat buffs/perks you guys can brain storm.

*I went ahead and crosssed out the one that definitely isn't going to happen
    Edited by timidobserver on October 6, 2015 4:52PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The people that are on the hunt to get more powerful because they need an unfair advantage to be better I don't care about, but some people just want to be able to progress their characters in some way and that I am okay with.

How about you guys come up with a way to spend points beyond 501 that doesn't grant anything that provides a significant in-combat advantage. Examples include buffing your deconstructing skill, buffing your drop rates on various things, reducing repair costs, buffing xp gain, inventory space, bank space, how much damage your gear takes, how fast your repair in cyrodiil, and whatever non-direct combat buffs/perks you guys can brain storm.

Interesting idea. I think any sort of progression would be nice. But as it stands, most people I play with/know will be at cap come the update with nothing much to do after they explore the new content.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it is hard to believe the average CP for pc is only 96, especially when almost every person I team with and most people on these and other forums are claiming to have over 500+.

I guess a huge portion of the population only play the game for a few hours a week. It has been around 7 months since CP came out so a person only getting 3-4 CP per week would put them at around the 100 average.
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy for a CP cap even though by the time Orsinium goes live I might have passed the cap (I honestly don't know where all these CP came from, last time I took any notice was when I was reaching my first 120 point passive).

I am interested to know more about what happens now, when will the cap be raised and by how much? Has the 501 figure been decided on by a player base average and continue to be a shifting average, not a set number, each time the cap is raised?
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How about you guys come up with a way to spend points beyond 501 that doesn't grant anything that provides a significant in-combat advantage. Examples include buffing your deconstructing skill, buffing your drop rates on various things, reducing repair costs, buffing xp gain, inventory space, bank space, how much damage your gear takes, how fast your repair in cyrodiil, reduce crown store costs for the really really high end people like 2000+, unlocking cosmetics, unlocking new mounts, and whatever non-direct combat buffs/perks you guys can brain storm.

*I went ahead and crosssed out the one that definitely isn't going to happen

The more I think about this, the more I like it, to be honest. They could make it so that there is a CP cap collectively on what can be applied to combat advantages, and then have a separate set of trees dedicated to non-combat advantages. Much like how spending a certain amount of CP allows you to gather nodes faster. Things like that. I know I was excited at this perk, and if more were offered, I'd be equally happy. It seems that there can be a lot more ways to effectively keep the progression-feeling in the game and keep it useful. I don't know, anything but the current system would be great in my opinion, and keep the community somewhat happy.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2,000,000 To my next champ point that I can't use? Really ZOS? Really?
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Only heard about people wanting a cap on champion points. Now it's happening there's people complaining about it? Meh.
    (NA) Anlaemar with 750+ Champion Points
    Member Since April 15, 2014
    (EP)Alrik Vadason - Nord Dragonknight
    Tank
    (EP)Matdasi Hlarrobar - Breton Mageblade
    Formerly known as Ra'dar Ahdhari - Main DPS 40k Self Buffed
    (EP)Marrec Vadason - Breton Templar Healer
    (EP)Nameless - Altmer Sorcerer - Secondary DPS
    - The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason -
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's the math on the new CP system?

Is it something like each successive CP requires 105% of the preceding one or something?
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »

So, serious question. what are you going to do when the new content comes out and are you going to be able to enjoy it? or will it just be stagnant?.
    Anlaemar wrote: »
    Only heard about people wanting a cap on champion points. Now it's happening there's people complaining about it? Meh.

Every time the topic came up. i said i would hate a cp cap and didn't see a need for it. i've been holding my own on Vet servers (azura and thorn mostly) since i had zero CP. i find the current CP system fun and engaging with something to look forward to.
    Edited by Lucky28 on October 6, 2015 5:22PM
    Invictus
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anlaemar wrote: »

You heard what you wanted to hear.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So at CP rank 543 it will take me 1,870,740 XP to get to CP rank 544. This seems a bit excessive, particularly with a CP catch-up mechanic being implemented for other players.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So at CP rank 543 it will take me 1,870,740 XP to get to CP rank 544. This seems a bit excessive, particularly with a CP catch-up mechanic being implemented for other players.

They don't want people to keep going above the cap to easily or when they up the cap everyone Will *** again.
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »

Your over the cap who cares.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They don't want people to keep going above the cap to easily or when they up the cap everyone Will *** again.

What does it matter if people are over? The cap is already being implemented, why slow CP gain this extremely. Just my opinion.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The raise of XP over the cap is unfair against new peoples. So the ones with 1200 CP can be never catched with this.
    Guild

Gildenleiter von Lux Dei (EU/AD). Offizieller Gildenspotlight für ESOTU!
    Guild leader of Lux Dei (EU/AD). Official Guild Spotlight for ESOTU!

Addons & Guides

ESOUI Author Portal: Taonnor
    Addons: Taos AP Session, Taos Group Tools

Myth AoE Cap: DE Mythos AoE Cap // EN Myth AoE Cap

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Shuichi
    Shuichi
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope those who have earned over 501 champion points at least will get them instantly allocated when the cap is raised. If not it would completely diminish their play time and effort to earn those points.

That being said I'm looking forward to this idea and would love to see more horizontal style progression.
    Hand of Sithis - Daggerfall Covenant
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. I will do that!
    The Moot Councillor
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I only have like 350 CP. I am in favor of both the catch-up mechanic and the cap. But I am not in favor of this kind of "reverse catch-up" math. The cap should be enough. If a small percentage of players are always jumping right to the cap whenever it is increased, I am OK with that. Beyond the cap, the default 400,000 XP per CP is fine if you ask me.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Based on that, supposing the base XP required is still 400k XP, and each CP costs as much as the previous one with a slight multiplier, I calculated that, considering X being the cost of CP(n), the cost of CP(n+1) is CP(n) * 1.002850225.

JS Code snippet for yas...
    var baseXp = 400000
    var factor = 1.002850225
    var upToCount = 550

for(var cpCount = 1 ; cpCount < upToCount ; cpCount++){
      console.log(cpCount + '|' + Math.round(baseXp)) 
      baseXp *= factor
    }

It does match the cost at this rank. This is but a supposition, don't take it for granted :p
    Edited by Asmael on October 6, 2015 5:44PM
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shuichi wrote: »
    I really hope those who have earned over 501 champion points at least will get them instantly allocated when the cap is raised. If not it would completely diminish their play time and effort to earn those points.

That being said I'm looking forward to this idea and would love to see more horizontal style progression.

Allocated? How will the game know where a player wants to allocate their points?

They will definitely become available right away.

I think my challenge is going to be whether I can reach the "new" cap before it actually hits. I'm still 200CP away from the cap that will hit next month, so we'll see.
    The Moot Councillor