Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

MASSIVE fps drops.....

• gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fyrakin's Minimap is known to be garbage, and cause both client and server performance issues.

He has been approached personally by several addon developers and refuses to change it or take it down.

Please use Advanced UI minimap. It does not have these issues.

Known to be garbage by who? I don't find any posts about it in the addon developer's forum. Perhaps you could share some specifics as to why it causes client and server performance issues? Or at least a link to a discussion?

I don't know the guy, but coming on here talking **** about something he's obviously put a lot of time into is .. (I can't think of a forum-safe word for it.)

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
    Options
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    SLy_Kyti wrote: »
    Guys, just disabling add ons is not enough. You have to remove them AND their separately stored Saved Variables file. The Saved Variables file will try to load even if the add-on is removed. That itself can cause fps loss, even crashes.

What I do ( as a suggestion) is make a desktop folder called ESO test, put the questionable add-on in there along with the Saved Variables.
    The only certain way to clear a bad add on is remove it completely, restart ( not relog or reload) the game.

The top problem makers I have found ( though I love them) is Fyrakins Mini map and/or Destinations.

For those without addons, I hope this is sorted soon.

That could be why my wife and I don't have any FPS drop issues with this update. We deleted all of the addons in the folder and then updated those ready for the patch. That's probably the best thing others can do. Delete all their addons and then download the updated ones.

No, it can't be why. The saved variables files aren't in the addons folder. They are in the SavedVariables folder.
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
    Options
  • fr33r4ng3r
    fr33r4ng3r
    ✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue. Normally my FPS is around 85, but since the patch every 2 or 3 seconds the game stutters. This happens in all zones and all fights. Sometimes it's barely perceptible and other times it renders the game almost unplayable. I've tried disabling all the addons and it still happens. It was really bad in IC last night. It's very hard to target and AOE spell mid stutter. I spent most of the night healing the walls.
    Options
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »
    SLy_Kyti wrote: »
    Guys, just disabling add ons is not enough. You have to remove them AND their separately stored Saved Variables file. The Saved Variables file will try to load even if the add-on is removed. That itself can cause fps loss, even crashes.

What I do ( as a suggestion) is make a desktop folder called ESO test, put the questionable add-on in there along with the Saved Variables.
    The only certain way to clear a bad add on is remove it completely, restart ( not relog or reload) the game.

The top problem makers I have found ( though I love them) is Fyrakins Mini map and/or Destinations.

For those without addons, I hope this is sorted soon.

Actually I'm pretty sure it is enough to just disable addons. The information stored in saved variables files doesn't load unless the addon loads.
    I'm looking at it using zgoo right now.

Thats right, if there is no text file to load the variables files it will stay dormant in the folder.

NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author
    Options
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Fyrakin's Minimap is known to be garbage, and cause both client and server performance issues.

He has been approached personally by several addon developers and refuses to change it or take it down.

What a wonderful attitude. Thank you for your support.
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    MiniMap author
    Options
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »

Known to be garbage by who? I don't find any posts about it in the addon developer's forum. Perhaps you could share some specifics as to why it causes client and server performance issues? Or at least a link to a discussion?

I don't know the guy, but coming on here talking **** about something he's obviously put a lot of time into is .. (I can't think of a forum-safe word for it.)

Just a troll post ignore it :). I've spent on my add-on countless hours and don't plan to talk with someone with such attitude.
    MiniMap author
    Options
  • Stravokov
    Stravokov
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love your addon Fyrakin. i uninstalled all my addons and still got the memory leak/or progressing FPS drops during my play sessions. it's clearly a ZO$ problem.

hopefully they see that and stop blaming addons.

hey maybe they accidentally added deer and squirrels in cyrodill? that one never gets old LOL
    Edited by Stravokov on September 3, 2015 6:07AM
    Options
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had issues when using the lui extented dmg numbers display.
    My gf uses the sane addons as i do but she uses aui and has no gps drops at all.

Its weird.
    Options
  • Volrion
    Volrion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ps4 NA in Cyrodil has been experiencing spikes and drops since the most recent patch went live.

I have never experienced any problems with the game before. Suddenly, it is very inconsistent.

I've asked around and many players are experiencing the same issue.
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, did ZOS acknowledged problem? Or this is our own problem as always. Playing without addons in IC with 5 fps. Even my friend who never got lags and stable 50 fps now suffering from it. Is it new Lightning patch 2.0?
    Edited by Cinbri on September 3, 2015 6:41AM
    Options
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great add-on. First add-on I installed.
    Anyone else rooting for Molag Bal?
    Options
  • Ipsius
    Ipsius
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems like a slow memory leak and it also seems related to addons. My fps gets progressively worse and worse, then a /reloadui fixes it for me. Then, after a while, it declines into crappiness again.

Observed while on chillrend, EP.

I think it's associated with addons because the reloadui fixes it, but it progressively gets worse, and after a while I have to reloadui more often to maintain smooth gameplay
    Options
  • tino.antoninieb17_ESO
    Its not about addons since a lot of people are having same issues even if they take down all addons, Why dont u guys concentrate on important stuff. ZOS will fix it when they find whats wrong on their side. Still we are in denial phase . Wait for 10 days and u will get acknowledgement from ZOS. Good thing is that we who are having problems will really optimize everything on our side :smile:
    Options
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Its not about addons since a lot of people are having same issues even if they take down all addons, Why dont u guys concentrate on important stuff. ZOS will fix it when they find whats wrong on their side. Still we are in denial phase . Wait for 10 days and u will get acknowledgement from ZOS. Good thing is that we who are having problems will really optimize everything on our side :smile:
    I'm afraid we are too close to optimization limit.
    MiniMap author
    Options
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've also been experiencing horrible fps drops as well since patch. Prior to patch I wasn't having really many issues with fps drops. This is just the honest truth.
    Options
  • uso245
    uso245
    ✭✭✭
    Haderus - NA - DC

I literally got back to the game yesterday last time I played was when IC PTS was new and other then that I haven't played the game in months. Anyways I have a fairly decent build with a 6 core and GTX 970 card and experienced this crippling FPS issue which was also present on PTS whenever the EP zerg ball starts fighting anything (npcs mostly) it will drop my FPS to 8. Reason I knew it was them was cause I was in some of the second floors of the surrounding buildings observing them as took one of them out when they were waiting around for something. Anyways as soon as they started fighting one of the little bosses in the zone my FPS instantly dropped to nearly nothing when I normally have 60-74 FPS. I remember seeing similar crippling results in PTS and honestly thought they would have worked on it a little more.

Not sure what is going on in that office down in Baltimore but they've been sitting on this content for quite some time and had more then enough time to be testing server stability.
    My Facebook Page
    My Youtube Channel
    (DC NA Megaserver) Beta Tester
    My Twitter
    Art of Death
    Fate Stay Night

Member since February 2014
    l
    Strategist/Tactician
    Options
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fyrakin Hey. I for one loved using your mini map but have had to remove for now and there is an improvement.

Have you run any tests from your side to see whether it is this, or something to do with the data calls it's making? *shrugs*

Would like to get it back up ASAP :)
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »
    @Fyrakin Hey. I for one loved using your mini map but have had to remove for now and there is an improvement.

Have you run any tests from your side to see whether it is this, or something to do with the data calls it's making? *shrugs*

Would like to get it back up ASAP :)

I made changes to the texture handler usage as ZOS_ChipHilseberg suggested, while there was a slightly better result it wasn't as good as I hoped. What I am seeing is the concrete and constant memory leak regardless of what you do in-game and how many add-ons you use. MiniMap shows a lot of textures, what else you would expect from the map :). It seems that recent API "upgrade" with a new handler introduced new problem to resource management.
    MiniMap author
    Options
  • Puddycat
    Puddycat
    ✭✭✭
    This issue is driving me nuts!
    I was getting the stuttering but fixed that removing the minimap addon.
    My lower than usual FPS was fixed by deleting ShaderCache.Cooked from my ESO folder.
    All that remains to be fixed now is the FPS drops, but they're a deal breaker for me.
    Every 2-5 minutes my FPS will suddenly plummet from near 100FPS to 10FPS. At the same time my ping goes through the roof. Then, most times it just shoots back up after a few seconds.....however some times it doesn't and i either have to move somewhere else or relog. The only places i've really been since update are Coldharbour and IC but it happens in both. One place that seems to trigger it a lot is talking to the bank person in Hollow City. Sometimes when i zoom in my cam a little bit. But maybe it's just coincidence that it's happened at those times.
    Hi folks,

For those of you experiencing this issue, or any other game performance-related problems, we're looking for some additional info. Could you please reply with the following?
    • Your dxdiag
    • Your usersettings.txt

I couldn't message you so i think i've done it by Pastebin, but really i had no idea what i was doing on there so we'll see how it turns out ha

dxdiag
    pastebin.com/criL2i05

User Settings
    pastebin.com/0VztjhLq

Hope those work!

Options
  • Asia_Skyly
    Asia_Skyly
    ✭✭✭
    This issue is driving me nuts!
    I was getting the stuttering but fixed that removing the minimap addon.
    My lower than usual FPS was fixed by deleting ShaderCache.Cooked from my ESO folder.
    All that remains to be fixed now is the FPS drops, but they're a deal breaker for me.
    Every 2-5 minutes my FPS will suddenly plummet from near 100FPS to 10FPS. At the same time my ping goes through the roof. Then, most times it just shoots back up after a few seconds.....however some times it doesn't and i either have to move somewhere else or relog. The only places i've really been since update are Coldharbour and IC but it happens in both. One place that seems to trigger it a lot is talking to the bank person in Hollow City. Sometimes when i zoom in my cam a little bit. But maybe it's just coincidence that it's happened at those times.
    Hi folks,

For those of you experiencing this issue, or any other game performance-related problems, we're looking for some additional info. Could you please reply with the following?
    • Your dxdiag
    • Your usersettings.txt

I couldn't message you so i think i've done it by Pastebin, but really i had no idea what i was doing on there so we'll see how it turns out ha

dxdiag
    pastebin.com/criL2i05

User Settings
    pastebin.com/0VztjhLq

Hope those work!

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Ping goes through the roof, frames drop to single digits. Of course this happens mostly while fighting, so I guess I can resolve the problem by simply being a pacifist :)

Here is my DxDiag: DxDiag
    My User Settings: User Settings

Edited by Asia_Skyly on September 3, 2015 1:19PM
    Options
  • Puddycat
    Puddycat
    ✭✭✭
    Asia_Skyly wrote: »

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Ping goes through the roof, frames drop to single digits. Of course this happens mostly while fighting, so I guess I can resolve the problem by simply being a pacifist :)

See, i AM a pacifist! and it still happens lol
    I can be stood in the middle of an empty house on my own, just twiddling my thumbs and boom!

Options
  • Skallolf
    Skallolf
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

• Your dxdiag
    • Your usersettings.txt

As requested:-

User settings - http://pastebin.com/BvniG2QL

DxDiag - http://pastebin.com/LFbixf4x
    Options
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skallolf wrote: »
    Hi folks,

• Your dxdiag
    • Your usersettings.txt

As requested:-

User settings - http://pastebin.com/BvniG2QL

DxDiag - http://pastebin.com/LFbixf4x

Try to set LuaMemoryLimitMB "256" back to 128,

i heard some rumors with a issues in this, but cant confirm it

same for you @Asia_Skyly SET LuaMemoryLimitMB "2048"

and disable MasterMercant, FTC and Minimaps if you have done this for testing purpose
    Edited by BuggeX on September 3, 2015 2:19PM
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
    Options
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fyrakin Cheers for the update. Keep us informed m8 :)

@BuggeX I doubt it would be that. I'm running 256 (might even be 512) i my Lua file and I'm not having any issues.

What I would say, though, is that I've removed MasterMerchant and everything seems to run a hell of a lot smoother.
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »
    @Fyrakin Cheers for the update. Keep us informed m8 :)

@BuggeX I doubt it would be that. I'm running 256 (might even be 512) i my Lua file and I'm not having any issues.

What I would say, though, is that I've removed MasterMerchant and everything seems to run a hell of a lot smoother.

Just a heads up - I made progress addressing MiniMap performance issues, so far I am not experiencing lag with ~1000 custom pins on a map. Running and collecting resources for some time doesn't seem to bring stutters. Though sometimes running between zones have a brief moment of a client freeze. Well, this is until I find a way to deal with that.
    MiniMap author
    Options
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turn off all my addons and its running so damn smooth again. ^^
    Options
  • pragreal
    pragreal
    ✭✭
    I completly eliminated stutters and fps drops finally it seems like.
    For the drops i had to tweak usersettings and set both worker and jobthreads to "0"

The stutters, especially with dmg that does multiple dmg (aoe, or even crushing shock) was caused by addons afterall,
    namely combatanalytics. Seems like anything that logs dmg will cause a stutter or a freeze.

I hope everyone can find her/his solution or maybe ZoS can do something with the situations where none of the above mentioned things help.

Thank You so much for this. While it did not help in the drop of fps (still less than 1/2 of what I had before, down to ~20-30 from 60+) it DID stop the stuttering so far. That means I can play again Yay! Does anyone know what these settings are used for? Pre-patch and post patch they were set to -1 but I only had to tweak them post-patch. I'll try reinstalling all the add-ons and see if they still work tonight.
    Options
  • Kithylin
    Kithylin
    Soul Shriven
    Before patch I was a stable 70-90 FPS outdoors away from towns and averaged 40-50 FPS in towns with everything maxed out, GTX 770 and a 3.6 ghz i3 chip.

Now after patch I can't walk through mournhold anymore. Game is constantly 5-10 FPS and does not ever come up again. I've deleted all my addons, deleted the savevariables folder, deleted the addons folder, even went in-game and set in-game settings to all bare minimum and it does not improve FPS at all.

So now I can't play ESO at all on any settings. I even went so far as to delete my entire game folder and re-download it again. I've updated to the latest nvidia drivers, nothing fixes it.

To give you guys an idea, the FPS is so bad it takes me 30-45 minutes to walk from the mounhold way stone over to the bank door so I can get inside and look at my bank listings. And inside at the bank with everyone there, it's a constant 5 FPS.

This is just... beyond unplayable. And it has me rather sad.. I liked playing this game, now I can't play at all to even walk across a town. :(
    Options
  • Kithylin
    Kithylin
    Soul Shriven
    Okay so, I've been doing a lot of testing and trying different things to get to the bottom of this and I've made some progress in figuring out some things. I don't know what it means, but I'll post my findings here, maybe it will help someone else.

For the purpose of this post I have two computer systems I own that I will refer to. Computer A and Computer B.

Computer A: my "old" computer. 2008 Intel i7-920 system with a pair of GTX 470's. They're Water-Cooled video cards, EVGA GTX-470 Hydro Copper FTW (matched pair), and the CPU is water-cooled and runs at 4.4 ghz. Also video cards run custom bios and run with +46% core speed and +30% ram speed. So.. not really your average GTX 470's.

Computer B: My "New" computer. Newer Intel i3-2130 LGA-1155, newer 2011 era CPU based on Intel's new Sandy-Bridge platform. Running at the moment with a EVGA GTX-770 4GB SuperClocked card.

I mainly use Computer B for most of my day to day gaming, it can run GTA-V at high settings at 50-60 FPS and other modern DirectX-11 games. And before Imperial patch, Computer B had been getting 40's FPS in towns with ESO, and 70-90 outside of towns while "in the field". It's Computer B that has had the serious FPS drops. I've found out most of it was related to nVidia Geforce Experience software. After removing/uninstalling that from Computer B, I get "normal" FPS on it most of the time^*. But still get random drops, and last night I went with my alt character in to The Harborage and it was a constant 8-10 FPS again and just flat out unplayable. Now something to also note. On computer B, I have removed all addons, deleted the addons folder, and even went so far as to delete the entire game folder, the game's files in my users -> my documents -> folder, and wiped out every single last trace of ESO on the computer, then did a 100% clean download again. This did not help. Setting in-game settings from minimum to maximum has no effect at all. One thing I did as part of investigating is I reverted Computer B back to very old nvidia drivers 344.11 as a test. This seemed to have much higher percentage of "good performance" and almost completely eliminated the FPS drops. At least, outside in cities and running around in the world. This was until I dropped in to The Harborage and it fell to 8-10 FPS and I was like "So screw this, no more ESO on Computer B" and gave up.

I had not even (until last night) considered Computer A, because of it's very old video cards that (in the past) had significantly worse ESO performance than Computer B.

But then I just decided on a whim last night, to try it. I copied over my ESO folder (fully up to date and patched) from Computer B to Computer A, launched it.. and to my surprise, ESO ran flawlessly. Better FPS performance than Computer B did before Imperial Patch. Now Computer A with it's old video cards can run around ESO on maximum ultra settings and everything maxed out and gets 60-70 FPS in towns. Even in Mournhold in the middle of the evening with peak player amounts and tons of people running around, smooth 60+ FPS in the middle of crowds with everything maxed out.

So, well.. at least I have a way to continue playing ESO. It's just not on the computer system I had wanted to.

I don't know if it makes much difference, but Computer A has always only run older nvidia drivers 344.11. This is because of these very old video cards, the newer drivers have a significant performance decrease across the board in all games for these older cards.

I would need to find more data on this situation and try to talk to some people that have either gtx 680's, 600 series in general, and/or 700 series, Intel cpu's and plays ESO and see if they also have performance drops. But, this is my experience and finding so far. Basically the Imperial Patch has rendered Computer B completely unplayable in ESO now.

Also a final note on my testing and findings: I can't take the 470's out and try them in Computer B, because they're water cooled.. and it's a pain in the ass and involves several hours to break apart a custom water loop. I usually never change it unless I get significant upgrades in the system, so that's not possible. Computer A's had the same water loop without changing for going on 4 years now. I don't know if i7 vs i3 has that much of an impact on ESO Performance.. the game barely uses any cpu utilization when running, like 15% - 20% of cpu overall on Computer A.
    Options