The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

MASSIVE fps drops.....

• bugmom
    bugmom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, ok my fps is mostly around 15 now, even after rebooting, even without add-ons, even with graphics set to low, even with shadows off...
  • painsworth01
    painsworth01
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed that the Minimap by Fyrakin is presently causing massive drops in dps. Following uninstalling that addon and logging back into game, my fps tripled altho still not quite back to normal.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everything is updated. Tried with add ons and without addons. Only gained a couple of frames without them. Game runs significantly worse today than it did yesterday. I played solely in IC, and the performance was bad whether there were lots of people around or not.

rip decibel
  • billcage
    billcage
    FPS drops because of addons eat your pc memory . Do not use dozens of addons. Disable all addons and restart the game.After than just install the new addons for patch.
  • killerdecoy_ESO
    killerdecoy_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I've got all settings maxed. No settings were changed from before or after this patch.

I'm getting 40-50 FPS usually in town at best when running in town 30-35 fps.

Out in the wild I'm between 50-60 FPS when standing still. This is after the zone loads in and I turn around to get the area "loaded up". Because right when I first load in I'm at 5 fps or so for a good 5 seconds or whenever I turn to face a new direction.

And well once I enter combat heaven help me I'm at 5 fps if I'm lucky. Once out of combat it goes back up. This is with and without add ons enabled.

And load times, what in the world did you do to them? I'm on a SSD and it takes for bloody ever to load now. I thought it was bad before but man oh man these are long now.

Specs are in my sig.
    i7 4770k OC@3.9Ghz | ASUS Maximus VII Hero | EVGA GTX 770 4GB | 16GB RAM | ADATA SP600 256GB | Asus 23.6'' @ 1920 x 1080, Win7 x64
  • axw_ESO
    axw_ESO
    ✭✭
    I am getting wild swings in FPS 16-85, pre-patch FPS never dropped below 55.

I updated all my addons
    Disabled all the out of date addons
    Lowered graphics settings

No appreciable change in FPS.

4670k@4.3, 290X, 1080p, 16gb

Game is unplayable in Glenumbra.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn in Belkarth. On NA.
    Walking around the countryside I do 13-15 FPS.
    In town I do 3FPS while walking/standing.

In the outlaws refuge I can get to 92FPS.

I go into infinite loading screens trying to enter the Outlaw Refuge behind the dye station, but I can get into and out of the back entrance down near the lake.

Using the latest vid driver dated July 29/15 from AMD for an R9/270 on Win7/64 since they went live.
    Edited by twev on September 1, 2015 7:14AM
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • abhimat1999rwb17_ESO
    Same problem with me as well, in IC when killing bosses my FPS just gets too low, even reached 0.

4 man instances were the same. Can't do anything coz of this issue.
    Tookey - AD Sorceror
  • SLy_Kyti
    SLy_Kyti
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, just disabling add ons is not enough. You have to remove them AND their separately stored Saved Variables file. The Saved Variables file will try to load even if the add-on is removed. That itself can cause fps loss, even crashes.

What I do ( as a suggestion) is make a desktop folder called ESO test, put the questionable add-on in there along with the Saved Variables.
    The only certain way to clear a bad add on is remove it completely, restart ( not relog or reload) the game.

The top problem makers I have found ( though I love them) is Fyrakins Mini map and/or Destinations.

For those without addons, I hope this is sorted soon.
    Edited by SLy_Kyti on September 1, 2015 7:19AM
    Master Crafter: Almost all motifs
    GM~ Blades of Old Tamriel NA/AD
    Member~ NZAD
    Member~ Blades of Vengeance NA/AD
    -Tamriel College -Amazing Deals of Nirn-
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SLy_Kyti wrote: »
    Guys, just disabling add ons is not enough. You have to remove them AND their separately stored Saved Variables file. The Saved Variables file will try to load even if the add-on is removed. That itself can cause fps loss, even crashes.

What I do ( as a suggestion) is make a desktop folder called ESO test, put the questionable add-on in there along with the Saved Variables.
    The only certain way to clear a bad add on is remove it completely, restart ( not relog or reload) the game.

The top problem makers I have found ( though I love them) is Fyrakins Mini map and/or Destinations.

For those without addons, I hope this is sorted soon.

I noticed some FPS drops with Advance UI (AUI) add-on as well.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fya0713 wrote: »
    Haderus and Azura's Star, Craglorn (on EP), Reaper's March, Grahtwood, NA megaserver, everywhere within those zones (those are the only zones I've been to so far). Tried restarting my PC we'll see if that works.

Thanks for the info! For the sake of covering all our bases, could you also try disabling your addons and see if that makes any difference?

Myself and other players in CN found out that the add-on that was causing our FPS problems was the MiniMap add-on
    Edited by imredneckson on September 1, 2015 7:37AM
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some addons have a mini map built in to them, which you can turn on/off.

Are these also affecting the FPS, or is it only the stand alone ones?
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Had same issues on the pts, havent tested on live yet. I hoped it was only PTS issue, but if that doesnt go away, RIP ESO for me lul.
    here:
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/202807/video-huge-fps-drops-when-fighting-mobs#latest

FPS Drops. Strange thing is, when i do NOT attack myself, everything is fine, but as soon as I do attack, RIP FPS
    https://youtu.be/kwQrGObj8ac

And yes, tried turning off all addons + MINIMUM graphics
    Edited by Alcast on September 1, 2015 8:24AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My issues mostly seem cleared up when not running Fyrakin's MiniMap (guessing this is having its own issues because it turns into a total slideshow when on) but load screens are taking like 3+ mins when going into delves in my VR zones. Might just be a dose of new patch/content madness.
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed that the Minimap by Fyrakin is presently causing massive drops in dps. Following uninstalling that addon and logging back into game, my fps tripled altho still not quite back to normal.

Which version and mode you were using?

NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author
  • Xantaria
    Xantaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had this on PTS .... after about 30 minutes of playing my FPS goes below ten or even below 5. I'm using a 144 HZ monitor and usually have 95-100 FPs (because ESO locks the FPS at that point). GTX 980. This also happened when I play on MINIMUM settings. I needed to crash my game and restart everything to be able to play 30 minutes again.

Worried to hear it has not been fixed.

And honestly ... this is was not a problem before ... so it is a problem Zenimax created. So blaming Addons and tellling people to not use them is the wrong approach. Telling Zenimax to fix whatever they broke is the correct one. I NEED my Addons. How are we supposed to figure out mechanics and theorycraft without them? Measure the healthbars in pixels and then calculate the pixels per second you are inflicting to your enemy?
    Edited by Xantaria on September 1, 2015 9:00AM
    Xantaria - Lead of Chimaira
    Hardcore Progress PvE Player - Livestream - Youtube

World First Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    World First Tick-Tock Tormentor

Proud Member of the Council of Exploiters.
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xantaria wrote: »
    Had this on PTS .... after about 30 minutes of playing my FPS goes below ten or even below 5. I'm using a 144 HZ monitor and usually have 95-100 FPs (because ESO locks the FPS at that point). GTX 980. This also happened when I play on MINIMUM settings. I needed to crash my game and restart everything to be able to play 30 minutes again.

If t's happening over time then that sounds like a memory leak to me, they really need to look into that.
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Belidos wrote: »

If t's happening over time then that sounds like a memory leak to me, they really need to look into that.

These issues were seen on PTS and were reported.
    IF you are experiencing bad UI performance try doing /reloadui after first character login. It seems that terrible lag happens only for the first time character load, switching character or /reloadui clears this mess. At least for me.
    Edited by Fyrakin on September 1, 2015 9:33AM
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    MiniMap author
  • axw_ESO
    axw_ESO
    ✭✭
    Fyrakin wrote: »
    Belidos wrote: »

These issues were seen on PTS and were reported.
    IF you are experiencing bad UI performance try doing /reloadui after first character login. It seems that terrible lag happens only for the first time character load, switching character or /reloadui clears this mess. At least for me.

Reloading has no appreciable impact to the problem for me.
  • MishMash
    MishMash
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was having the same issue my FPS were whacked out. I could not play at times it was so bad. I simply went into my add on section unchecked the Mini-map, and the Destinations to unload them. I did not restart the game and the issue seems resolved for now (about 1 hr playtime so far and no FPS issue). I use Minion Add on Management to check for my add on updates... but even with the latest update for the mini map I was still having the FPS issue. Destinations also had an update, but I do not know which one was actually causing it (maybe both?). I would try what everyone in here has suggested (the less aggressive approach first) until you find what works best for you and your unique PC situation.
    PC NA DC 4eva! I try my very best. If it is not good enough for you too bad! Playing off and on since April 2014 CP2009.
  • medieval_TOG
    medieval_TOG
    ✭✭✭
    FPS on my system has dropped by half (2Gb Radeon 7870) and even after removing every Addon, FPS drops as low as 10 in Upper CL. Was so used to running around with Ultra High settings and getting 100-90fps standing, and 80-70 in action, now even with the graphics tuned down to medium I only see 60-50fps standing and 20-30 in action.

The patch has taken this beautiful game and turned it into an eyesore. :(
    Oh so you play on a console? Well this is a console game after-all I suppose.
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    MishMash wrote: »
    I was having the same issue my FPS were whacked out. I could not play at times it was so bad. I simply went into my add on section unchecked the Mini-map, and the Destinations to unload them. I did not restart the game and the issue seems resolved for now (about 1 hr playtime so far and no FPS issue). I use Minion Add on Management to check for my add on updates... but even with the latest update for the mini map I was still having the FPS issue. Destinations also had an update, but I do not know which one was actually causing it (maybe both?). I would try what everyone in here has suggested (the less aggressive approach first) until you find what works best for you and your unique PC situation.

These add-ons use alot of memory, what I figured that a simple /reloadui just before gaming session will fix the lag "caused" by memory usage. Switching characters will do that as well, I have thoroughly tested MiniMap with Destinations, Harvestmap, Skyshards and Lorebooks on PTS, what I am seeing (now on live too) is that when you first time start the client and load initial character you have a bad performance UI hiccups like every second FPS jumps up and down, etc. But if you then just switch a character or do a /reloadui you will have steady performance until you restart the client.

PS :) IF fisrt thing you try out is disable any add-on (ANY!) that will do the trick, so technically if you want to blame any add-on you can disable random add-on which will then reload ui and performance will get better...
    Edited by Fyrakin on September 1, 2015 11:37AM
    MiniMap author
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought, maybe increase your LUA memory as well just to make sure?
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    happens to some peopel,. it seems. those people also have terrible problems opening the blue sewer chests (one to an extend where he just couldn't do it). for me, on the other hand, everything is smooth. seem to be an issue that affects some but not all
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has something to do with how the textures are being loaded, they're loading SLOWER after the patch.

I'm noticing things "appear" suddenly as I get closer even though view distance is maxed.
    I'm noticing textures on things such as clothes suddenly becoming higher definition a few seconds after I run up to the guy I'm looking at.
    I'm noticing very load long times or total lockups when trying to zone into a solo instance, or any instance - even fence area.
    Then there's the keeps that had no walls in the screenshot, the black silhouettes everywhere, textures are definitely not loading as fast as they used to.
    Plus the FPS drops on loading into an area when everything is getting spammed at once.

This is all without mods too. They definitely changed something that's causing textures to load slower.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kas wrote: »
    happens to some peopel,. it seems. those people also have terrible problems opening the blue sewer chests (one to an extend where he just couldn't do it). for me, on the other hand, everything is smooth. seem to be an issue that affects some but not all

I noticed that too. Opening the sewer chests causes my fps to drop real low. I think it has to do with the particle effect they put around the chests, since I have not experienced any other fps problems so far.

Reminds me of the scarab particle effect problem in Al'kiri Dessert from a year ago.
    Edited by danno8 on September 1, 2015 12:48PM
  • MishMash
    MishMash
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to note I did not change character to get things sorted. I simply did what I stated above. Almost 3 hrs into gameplay and not a single hiccup since those two addons have been disabled. I also did do a /reloadui before disabling any addons and still had the lag. Confused! Looking forward to the update that may fix them.
    Edited by MishMash on September 1, 2015 12:55PM
    PC NA DC 4eva! I try my very best. If it is not good enough for you too bad! Playing off and on since April 2014 CP2009.
  • Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    IC also has huge fluctuations in FPS. Standing still it's a smooth 45. Just turning to look to the left/right and it drops to 15. When fighting it's even worse; lower than 10.
    Halcyon Black
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    This shouldn't be a surprise at all...

Yup, every time there is a large update, an FPS genocide occurs.

My FPS still hasn't recovered from the last major patch, months ago.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • mips_winnt
    mips_winnt
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip painsworth :smile:, I use that add-on and noticed the FPS drop and the "jerkiness" of the graphics all of a sudden.

I'll give it a try with that add-on removed.