Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

15 GB Patch on PS4

• Tre_775
    Tre_775
    ✭✭✭
    FMarin83 wrote: »
    Is this the norm for a patch to fix bugs? Finally the servers come up and now i have to wait 9 hours.

Most patches are server side and occur during regular maintenance. A 15 gig client side patch wouldn't be unheard of this early into a game, but I wouldn't expect it too frequently. Posters also need to understand that there's a lot if data (such as new code for background functions) in a patch that isn't necessarily going to be outlined in the patch notes. For all intents and purposes, it's likely that we're getting a full revision of the game client to address issues that weren't possible to repair with only a few slight code changes to the original. Old files will be overwritten, so this patch won't necessarily take up an extra 15 gigs of space on your HDD. Not directed at you OP but FFS people complain about bugs and then they complain when the bug fix is too large.

My total download time was ~2.5 hours. If I can predict anything it's that you'll be in the game soon.
    Edited by Tre_775 on June 24, 2015 8:06PM
    "He was already insane before he left Tamriel. Mad as a box of frogs..."
    - Lyris Titanborn in reference to Sir Cadwell
  • Crazyfool768
    Crazyfool768
    Soul Shriven
    Tre_775 wrote: »
    FMarin83 wrote: »
    Is this the norm for a patch to fix bugs? Finally the servers come up and now i have to wait 9 hours.

Most patches are server side and occur during regular maintenance. A 15 gig client side patch wouldn't be unheard of this early into a game, but I wouldn't expect it too frequently. Posters also need to understand that there's a lot if data (such as new code for background functions) in a patch that isn't necessarily going to be outlined in the patch notes. Not directed at you OP but FFS people complain about bugs and then they complain when the bug fix is too large.

My total download time was ~2.5 hours. If I can predict anything it's that you'll be in the game soon.

Been trying since 3pm it's now 9pm....

thought pause and unpause has pulled the time right down from 36hrs too 107 mins
  • pattak
    pattak
    Patches are good because they fix or add things to improve the game. I would hate for them to leave the game with no improvements. The ones complaining just want to play right now. There are other games with bugs like the shooter game that rakes in millions without a fix for netcode error for over a year. That's torture
  • Diashie
    Diashie
    Reminds me of the days of SWG.

Yes, downloading of the patch we did on day one is frustrating, but if the latest patch does deal with the issues stated then I can overlook the error they made this once. However they better not make the same mistake again because it really looks bad.
  • floormat
    floormat
    Soul Shriven
    Just keep pausing/un-pausing. It should work. I'm at 10gb downloaded now. Do it until you see it say under 100 minutes to go. It will stay like that for 20 or so minutes. Then it will steadily get slow to hours left. But do pause and un pause again until it gets back to the faster dl speed. I've had to do it 3 times now but it's working again.
  • GodlessMimicry
    So still haven't gotten the extras we paid for, and now after 5 hr maintenance we also have a few hours to download this, and then 5 hrs tomorrow where the login servers will be down. What on earth are we paying for exactly? What a joke.
  • floormat
    floormat
    Soul Shriven
    The maintenance tomorrow deals with the login servers so if you are logged in before it scheduled to go down then you can still play.
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    pattak wrote: »
    Patches are good because they fix or add things to improve the game. I would hate for them to leave the game with no improvements. The ones complaining just want to play right now. There are other games with bugs like the shooter game that rakes in millions without a fix for netcode error for over a year. That's torture

It's not about the patch itself because what they fixed was 1/2 gig worth. Xbox can attest to that..it's just that we had to dl this patch plus the previous patches we already had.
    Anyone else rooting for Molag Bal?
  • salzoris
    salzoris
    Still not logged in 6 hours of trying and still only half way downloaded guess my dailys won't be getting done today. Games average customer service is diabolical. Was hoping this was a great game
  • anderson7661_ESO
    anderson7661_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS - most everyone has realized that the reason the patch is 15 gigs is not because of fixed content, but because you were too lazy to figure out how to patch a game on the PS4 system. But instead of taking responsibility for your laziness and mistake, you decided to make a half-hearted apology that does not even address the issue.

I'm sure that many of us would respect you a little bit more if you actually owned up to your mistake, rather than giving us an "Oh, well we'll try to make this not happen in the future (teehee!)"

A little bit of humility can go a long way. Because right now, most everyone here is seriously doubting the intelligence of those of you who actually allowed this "patch" to be the size it is. Even though it's not even a patch, since the majority of it is fixing nothing new. I am now unsubbing from ESO+ because the amount I pay a month on your game will now be going towards overcharge fees for my data limit. I don't want that, but I think I would rather not pay for your service, since you're the sole reason I'm having to unsub and pay for my over-capped data in the first place. I'm sure you don't want that, either.

There is no reason for this. Own up, put on your big boy and big girl panties, and address the actual issue here.
    Edited by anderson7661_ESO on June 24, 2015 8:36PM
  • pattak
    pattak
    Any game company would hate to release a patch of this size but they are professionals paid to improve the game. If they can release a patch that is 1 GB only I would think they would. Gina posted an apology for the inconvenience with the size of this patch in the main section for everyone to read. I myself did not notice until I looked at other threads it was easy to miss because I have a habit of just jumping to the general section. With that said I think they need to communicate with us better by posting more often that they are aware of the issues but like myself we need to be patient because I believe good things will come with patches despite frustration.
  • RadicalSpirit
    RadicalSpirit
    ✭✭✭
    Is there some kind of bottleneck on their end for this download or something?

I download full 60gb games in usually 30 - 45 minutes, whereas this piece of *** update has taken 4 hours already and it's only at 9 gb downloaded.

Is anyone else having such a nonsense wait time?

No time on ESO for me at all Wednesday then, ffs.
  • anderson7661_ESO
    anderson7661_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    pattak wrote: »
    Any game company would hate to release a patch of this size but they are professionals paid to improve the game. If they can release a patch that is 1 GB only I would think they would. Gina posted an apology for the inconvenience with the size of this patch in the main section for everyone to read. I myself did not notice until I looked at other threads it was easy to miss because I have a habit of just jumping to the general section. With that said I think they need to communicate with us better by posting more often that they are aware of the issues but like myself we need to be patient because I believe good things will come with patches despite frustration.

I thought that at first too, giving them the benefit of the doubt. However, the fact is that the majority of the patch is changing nothing. The 15 gig 1st day patch is being forced upon us again, all because somebody decided to make this patch what Gina called in the apology "incremental" (which is not something to be proud of).

It's not okay. Every other PS4 game developer has figured out how to patch their game without having to do it "incrementally". This is a waste of data and time, and it should not be overlooked. ZOS looks mighty incompetent at the moment, and they're trying really hard to make it look like this was unavoidable.
  • MdorKuy
    MdorKuy
    Hey guys. Just to follow up, we do understand that having to download such a large patch is frustrating and not ideal, and we want to let you know that we are actively working to ensure future ESOTU PS4 patches are not cumulative.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to such a disheartening thread, Gina! Just remember that for every one person who complains that there are countless of us who appreciate you wading through the gutter talk and bought this game with the understanding that stuff like this is a necessity to ensure we have the most enjoyable experience possible.

:)
  • pmn100b16_ESO
    pmn100b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MdorKuy wrote: »
    Hey guys. Just to follow up, we do understand that having to download such a large patch is frustrating and not ideal, and we want to let you know that we are actively working to ensure future ESOTU PS4 patches are not cumulative.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to such a disheartening thread, Gina! Just remember that for every one person who complains that there are countless of us who appreciate you wading through the gutter talk and bought this game with the understanding that stuff like this is a necessity to ensure we have the most enjoyable experience possible.

Yes downloading 30x the size of the actual patches is a necessity to ensure we have the most enjoyable experience possible. Where do people like this come from? Under a bridge I guess.
  • Lunerdog
    Lunerdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MdorKuy wrote: »

Gina is a trooper, but dont blow smoke up her donkey, Zenipants dropped a clanger with the size patch and they know it.
  • TortUred_mAlice
    Ok, warrw... I started this update like 5 hours ago, set Playstation in Rest mode and checked back just now; 3.737GB / 15.851 (44 hours remaining).

I knocked it a few times with the pause and managed to get it to as low as 8 hours (it was going very, very quick)

Now it's shot back to... a few days. -___- It's not falling for the pausing card anymore, and I don't know about you but I think I'm going to enter a competition to see what overheats first, my router or the console.

What even is this update exactly?
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
  • Tre_775
    Tre_775
    ✭✭✭
    Some people never cease to amaze me. If you understand anything about client side patching, then you should realize that an additional 500 mb of occupied space on your HDD does not mean that only 500 mb of code was patched. You are downloading a revised game client. In the process of installing that client, old files are being overwritten but not re-named. It's highly likely that it was not possible to only make a few code changes to the original game client. Hence the revision. This isn't uncommon at all in a client side MMO patch, especially this early into a game. I have a feeling that if the download size was only 500 mb then people would be complaining here about how the patch wasn't addressing enough. It's always a no win situation for the company.
  • TinuonGilornor
    TinuonGilornor
    Soul Shriven
    Large update, for a new release to console and first ever mmo I'd say there doing pretty Damn good, rough start though, in any case love the game, a little buggy but good, love the emotes and the fact they kept it original, no armor or weapon locks like some mmos. Hope this long update comes with some New stuff :)
    Edited by TinuonGilornor on June 24, 2015 9:19PM
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large update, for a new release to console and first ever mom I'd say there doing pretty Damn good, rough start though, in any case love the game, a little buggy but good, love the emotes and the fact they kept it original, no armor or weapon locks like some mmos. Hope this long update comes with some New stuff :)

You are kidding right? Patchnotes sre up for some time now.
  • Ichika
    Ichika
    Soul Shriven
    Ok, warrw... I started this update like 5 hours ago, set Playstation in Rest mode and checked back just now; 3.737GB / 15.851 (44 hours remaining).

I knocked it a few times with the pause and managed to get it to as low as 8 hours (it was going very, very quick)

Now it's shot back to... a few days. -___- It's not falling for the pausing card anymore, and I don't know about you but I think I'm going to enter a competition to see what overheats first, my router or the console.

What even is this update exactly?

If you are trying to reduce your download speed by pausing and unpausing, there is a more effective method to use. If you go to your network settings and do an internet connection test, this will disconnect your ps4 from the internet and reconnect it. Basically resetting the connection in your system, this should improve your download time remaining. However there is no miracle cure for just plain slow internet, good luck everyone.
  • anderson7661_ESO
    anderson7661_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Some people never cease to amaze me. If you understand anything about client side patching, then you should realize that an additional 500 mb of occupied space on your HDD does not mean that only 500 mb of code was patched. You are downloading a revised game client. In the process of installing that client, old files are being overwritten but not re-named. It's highly likely that it was not possible to only make a few code changes to the original game client. Hence the revision. This isn't uncommon at all in a client side MMO patch, especially this early into a game. I have a feeling that if the download size was only 500 mb then people would be complaining here about how the patch wasn't addressing enough. It's always a no win situation for the company.

I would much rather this download actually be the 500mb one that the Xbone players received. And as far as I'm aware, there is no major difference in this patch between the PS4 and Xbone.
  • TortUred_mAlice
    So what you're saying, as time goes on we'll get something like:

Update 3.0.0.1:

Fixed a bug where a certain iron mining animations weren't synchronizing with character movements correctly.

0.020 GB / 821.851 GB (2 Months)
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
  • ScrewThePooch
    ScrewThePooch
    Soul Shriven
    This is the worst patch I've ever downloaded, what a pile of sh*t
  • TortUred_mAlice
    Ichika wrote: »
    If you are trying to reduce your download speed by pausing and unpausing, there is a more effective method to use. If you go to your network settings and do an internet connection test...

Yea, sadly I already know about this and have tried it (I always try this when I can't sign into PSN)

Well at least in this traffic you can still use the restroom. :smiley:
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
    H,M,L - M,S - D,S,T,N
  • Tre_775
    Tre_775
    ✭✭✭

I would much rather this download actually be the 500mb one that the Xbone players received. And as far as I'm aware, there is no major difference in this patch between the PS4 and Xbone.

Of course we all want smaller download sizes. There was obviously something occurring with the PS4 client that required a revision. Most of those code tweaks aren't going to be outlined in the patch notes. Only the programmers know for sure.
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf_00 wrote: »
    Are you *** kidding me?!?! Just 2 weeks ago 15 gb of download for play in eso and now after your *** maintance other 15 gb?!?! What r u *** thinking about your customers?!?! I don't have everytime all this time to waste for your *** problem, cuz u r incapable to do your job! I live in Italy a shity country where there isn't the same speed connection of yours!!! I can't spend every time more then 7 *** hours 4 your *** incapable to maintain a server!!!! Wasn't enough postpone the coming out of the game for console of a year?!?!?! Noooo now u must torture us with your *** incapacity!!!! *** u! I spent 70 *** euro, more then 80 dollars of your *** value!!! Good job Bethesda u and this *** partnership with Sony which make as results this bad service! I could perfectly live and play in pace without this useless fixing patch!

Let the anger flow through you!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!

I really wish I could make this my signature. I love this guy. Also, if you quote it you can actually read the swears without the censors. I recommend it highly.
  • RickHolt
    RickHolt
    ✭✭
    I love how people are defending a 15gb patch. The PSN can be painful to download from at the best of times. It isn't just people needed to improve their internet or whatever. The earlier reply to say they are trying to avoid cumulative patches in future points to a potential problem IMO. Are they saying that currently the 15gb+ patches could be a regular thing!? I accept these things can be necessary and that patches are part of gaming these days. I don't accept that this patch in particular be 15gb+.
  • FMarin83
    FMarin83
    nixkeeh wrote: »
    i changed the network settings >primary dns at 8.8.8.8>secondary 8.8.4.4
    it went from 15 hours to 4 hours, should be back at tamriel pretty soon :smiley:

This worked for me and I was the OP with 9 total hours. It was down to 3 but now its at 69 minutes. Had to pause on/off a few times but it worked for me.
    There is no try.
  • zynn3db14_ESO
    zynn3db14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Maybe Zenimax will explain to Comcast why I keep making all these 15GB downloads, so I can get off the bandwidth hog list. Seriously, the game files keep getting corrupted with invisible NPCs and mobs, and the UI keeps having errors and getting wiped, so I have to redownload. Now the "patch" is also a full download?