The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Console player experience's VR ranks for first time!

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer coffee from grinds in preference to instant
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Legedric
    Legedric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The major problem here is you need like 150k or 160k XP for a level up to see progression. With grinding you are able to do it in like 20 minutes.

With hitting VR1 it takes you 1m XP, so roughly 6 to 7 times the amount of XP and with grinding you take like 1.5 to 2 hours to get this done. Questing is even way slower.

That's like hitting a wall with your car after you droved on a highway...

You hit level 50 and somehow got the feeling: "Wow, I made it! I completed the great story and saw everything of the faction I decided to play!" Great!

But then you realize that you have to deal with two other factions and way more leveling than you probably first expected. You have to play through two factions you didn't choose to play in the first place and you have to level up roughly 100 more levels to be somehow competative in end game, especially PvP.

The game itself is great until level 50/VR1.
    I would even go that far to say it is the best MMORPG I played during the last 5 years and it was most fun leveling my toon to 50. But between VR1 and VR14, the game is utterly boring, mind numbing and purely repetative junk. It's like the patiency test you've got to pass before you get to the real fun: VR14.

I doubt many console players (or beginning PC players as well) will pass this "test" and therefore convert to a subscribing customer for ZOS.
    Legedric the Flamedancer ► - Redguard Dragon Knight
    Legedric the Stormdancer ► - Altmer Sorcerer
    Legedric the Sundancer ► - Altmer Templar

EU | DRUCKWELLE - Retter des Kaiserreiches
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    Remember when, back in development, there was no such thing as VR ranks? All that was planned for endgame was essentially just PvP and dungeons. Then when players voiced out that they wanted a way to experience the other alliances as well as having another avenue of playing endgame, they added veteran ranks and Cadwell's Silver/Gold.

VR ranks always seemed more like a quick patch-up to me. A quick way to add more things to do post level 50. But it has since demonstrated that most players are not content to grind their way through the levels, and many simply are not interested in Cadwell's almanac as an alternative method of leveling. The negative feedback was so prevalent, zos essentially acknowledged the problem and assured us they were going to do something about it (by removing them)....but they have yet to actually act on it.

So yeah, veteran ranks either need a revamp or need to be scrapped. I just wish they would hurry up on whatever they plan though.

oh yes, i remember oh so well, there's a lot of people unaware of it though.

however, whilst veteran ranks weren't originally planned for cadwells S+G but they were indeed already planned, they were supposed to start with craglorn. lower craglorn was VR1-2 upper craglorn VR3-4. which would've worked out fine as all those who exploited or grinded to max level would've been VR1 in pvp and not VR10. so when everyone else finished the main story through conventional questing means and went to cyrodiil, it would've been VR1's Vs VR1's. until craglorn came out and pushed the VR cap to VR4.

due to the way in which XP gains, questing, quest rewards and skill levelling is programmed on the server, opening up the other faction content required adding veteran ranks to it. which then blew endgame pvp out of proportion as all the grinders/exploiters hit VR10 and went to cyrodiil, whereas questers hit VR1, went to cyrodiil, got *** by VR10's and went back to vet questing, until they got so bored of vet questing they quit as the options were either quest or get ***. but even then, vet mobs got buffed and vet questing became almost impossible without a partner or OP build.

so instead of endgame being level 50 until craglorn came out and increased it to VR4, endgame became VR10 until craglorn came out and increased it to VR14.

i've always maintained that cadwells S+G should've been endgame solo content that rewarded skillpoints, skyshards, quest loot and gold, nothing more. it should've had no impact on VR levels at all. but as pointed out, the programming did not allow for that change at that point in time. which is why we now have champion points, which have essentially stripped out skill levelling and tied it to CP gain rather than XP gain. which then allows for everything else to be tied to CP gain instead of VR xp, leading to the eventual removal of VR ranks.

so when the VR ranks are eventually removed , players would still need to do the cadwells S+G to earn CP - but then CP can be earned doing anything ingame. so the options open up to solo quest through cadwells S+G, group quest in craglorn, pvp in cyrodiil, run vet dungeons and trials for gear and then eventually when DLC content is released, approach it without fear that 2 factions worth of quest content stands in the way. the artificial gating is being removed and the game will be a lot better off because of it.
  • Luffy
    Luffy
    Legedric wrote: »
    The major problem here is you need like 150k or 160k XP for a level up to see progression. With grinding you are able to do it in like 20 minutes.

With hitting VR1 it takes you 1m XP, so roughly 6 to 7 times the amount of XP and with grinding you take like 1.5 to 2 hours to get this done. Questing is even way slower.

That's like hitting a wall with your car after you droved on a highway...

You hit level 50 and somehow got the feeling: "Wow, I made it! I completed the great story and saw everything of the faction I decided to play!" Great!

But then you realize that you have to deal with two other factions and way more leveling than you probably first expected. You have to play through two factions you didn't choose to play in the first place and you have to level up roughly 100 more levels to be somehow competative in end game, especially PvP.

The game itself is great until level 50/VR1.
    I would even go that far to say it is the best MMORPG I played during the last 5 years and it was most fun leveling my toon to 50. But between VR1 and VR14, the game is utterly boring, mind numbing and purely repetative junk. It's like the patiency test you've got to pass before you get to the real fun: VR14.

I doubt many console players (or beginning PC players as well) will pass this "test" and therefore convert to a subscribing customer for ZOS.

Where do you grind with 400k-500k xpm? I get up to 250k max and thats in that cyrodiil delve.
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    MCMancub wrote: »
    The problem is that people have this concept that is so medieval when it comes to MMOs now-a-days where they think they have to be the max level to take part in the most enjoyable content in the game. That's absolutely not the case.

I've heard of VR4's doing Trials and I've personally witnessed a VR1 lay the smack down on a VR14 1v1 in PvP. This game is way more about skill and knowing what you're doing than about stats and gear. Having those additional CPs and better gear certainly makes you stronger, but it is in no way a prerequisite to enjoying the game or being good at it.

but it was probably nothing about skill. probably vr14 has weak build with mediocre gear. but build he like for some reasons or its his only char

Irwen Vincinter - Nord - Dragonknight
    Irw´en - Bosmer - Nightblade
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those who say VR leveling is difficult, do not have a clue and decided to "grind" it.

First of all, you get 1 VR level per area when you do the following and you are at the same VR as the area. eg VR5 for Rift, if you are AD.

a) Mainline quest for the area (you need to progress)
    b) All the dolmens, once
    c) World bosses, once
    d) The local public dungeon group achievement (1)
    e) Once each public dungeon, because either way you need the skyshard, kill the damn boss.
    f) do the skyshards.

No need for side quest or "grind".
    Do some exploration on the nearby sites also, and you are set.

I do not see all the waffle about it.

VR11-14 is bit more challenging I agree, but join a guild and either
    a) Do the quests and public dungeons at Craglorn (2 man is enough)
    b) Do the veteran dungeons quests. eg the second part of the Banished Cells.
    c) If you are AD, spend couple of hours in Necropolis.
    d) do not see it as a "grind". Go Cyrodiil.

This...

I've never seen the Vr levels as a grind, just a continuation of the game.

As is said, V11+ can be a bit of a grind but aren't the last few levels of an MMO always a bit of a grind? When I played LoTRO back in the day, it took me 6 months of nearly continuous play to hit max level. MMOs are too easy to level these days.

Just get some Pjiic Ambrosia and do a few dungeons or head to Craglorn or Cyrodiil. I just PvP to max now...
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the difference between grinding 14 VR levels or another 50 normal levels? Many MMOs have much more than 50 levels. VR ranks made more sense originally because enemies were so much more powerful. It was an actual challenge to solo VR zones. That was soon whined into nerfdom.

As long as I keep seeing VR14 characters who don't know what a "taunt" is, or who do nothing but hard-cast crystal frags during a while vet dungeon run (true stories) I say the grind isn't long enough, since apparently people can run through it and learn nothing.
  • wally2000
    wally2000
    I dont get it
    Whats is this heaven that suppose to hapoen after reaching the level cap?
    Why the people want to rush in reach it ?
    Whats is so exstremely special to be a VR14 ? Whats happen after that?
    The only things we need is new things to do , no a faster way to reach a level cap
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    wally2000 wrote: »
    I dont get it
    Why the people want to rush in reach it ?
    Whats is so exstremely special to be a VR14 ? Whats happen after that?
    The only things we need is new things to do , no a faster way to reach a level cap

i tell you, unless you are vr14, there is no point spend gold on gold gear, gold glyph, no point on spend AP to buy gear. you cant work on getting best gear. in environment, where manys do extraordinary big damages in pvp. and you cant avoid them, you are part of the same cyrodiil. thats the problem

Edited by VincentBlanquin on June 19, 2015 11:00AM
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont get it

i tell you, unless you are vr14, there is no point spend gold on gold gear, gold glyph, no point on spend AP to buy gear. you cant work on getting best gear. in environment, where manys do extraordinary big damages in pvp. thats the problem

You know that this kind of thinking, people who believe, its not worth investing in good gear untill you are VR14, proves something completely else?

It proves that actually people believe its EASY to get to VR14 and they will get there FAST.

If grinding to VR14 would be as hard and difficult as "this game has too much grind" people claim, they would see no problem in investing into gear before reaching VR14 because "there is so much grind and im never gonna get there"
  • Legedric
    Legedric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luffy wrote: »
    Where do you grind with 400k-500k xpm? I get up to 250k max and thats in that cyrodiil delve.

Where do you have this number from? I am saying 49-50 is taking 20m, one VR roughly 1.5 to 2 hours when you grind in Verrantphul (as a DC player) until VR 8.
    Legedric the Flamedancer ► - Redguard Dragon Knight
    Legedric the Stormdancer ► - Altmer Sorcerer
    Legedric the Sundancer ► - Altmer Templar

EU | DRUCKWELLE - Retter des Kaiserreiches
  • wally2000
    wally2000
    Yes i know , but what i mean is
    You got all the max gear , u finally have it , u reached the goal , and then what?
    Basically is only pvp waiting new content that it doesent make u level more cause u are at cap and then pvp etc
    It doesent sound so exiting reach this point dont you think?
    Only if the pourpouse is fight in a endless pvp between VR14 ranks could be nice
    The wrong in all of this is the level cap , they suppose to add new stories and content and make people levellling
    These sort of games are without an end
    Level cap in my opinion is the exactly opposite of what a MMO suppose to be
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    What's the difference between grinding 14 VR levels or another 50 normal levels?

that up until not very long ago, 5 VR levels == 50 normal levels. so 14 VR levels is more equivalent to 140 normal levels.

so level cap, is essentially 190. then there's 3600 champion points to go. although you'll probably have about 90 by the time you hit VR14

somehow i dont think that ESO was ever intended as a korean grind mmo. see my post on page 5 for the VR development history.
    Edited by smokes on June 19, 2015 11:44AM
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    I dont get it

i tell you, unless you are vr14, there is no point spend gold on gold gear, gold glyph, no point on spend AP to buy gear. you cant work on getting best gear. in environment, where manys do extraordinary big damages in pvp. thats the problem

You know that this kind of thinking, people who believe, its not worth investing in good gear untill you are VR14, proves something completely else?

It proves that actually people believe its EASY to get to VR14 and they will get there FAST.

If grinding to VR14 would be as hard and difficult as "this game has too much grind" people claim, they would see no problem in investing into gear before reaching VR14 because "there is so much grind and im never gonna get there"

no sense man invest to best gear before vr14 man, you are lunatic
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont get it

But you can easily use purple crafted gear for every 2 or 3 VR levels, or even every 5 levels. I actually did every vet dungeon with VR5 purple crafted gear on my tank, doing pledges at VR12 every day, since I was VR5. Yesterday I did normal DSA with a VR3 healer and a VR5 DD (I was tanking with a VR14 and the other DD was also VR14). What I mean is - you don't have to go all out on the best of the best, but you can still do end-game content way before VR14, provided you don't stick to playing with those who believe anything below VR14 is too weak.
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭

But you can easily use purple crafted gear for every 2 or 3 VR levels, or even every 5 levels. I actually did every vet dungeon with VR5 purple crafted gear on my tank, doing pledges at VR12 every day, since I was VR5. Yesterday I did normal DSA with a VR3 healer and a VR5 DD (I was tanking with a VR14 and the other DD was also VR14). What I mean is - you don't have to go all out on the best of the best, but you can still do end-game content way before VR14, provided you don't stick to playing with those who believe anything below VR14 is too weak.

epic and legendary crafting mats are few and far between, you also need lots of them when actually crafting an item.

for most questers, they'll have enough upgrade mats for a few items, barely enough for a full set, let alone enough for multiple sets as they level through VR ranks. so they will save those mats til level cap for their "final" set of gear.

unless you're logged in all day and receive 3x profession deliveries a day, it can take an age (or a fortune) to gather enough high quality crafting materials.

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smokes wrote: »

epic and legendary crafting mats are few and far between, you also need lots of them when actually crafting an item.

for most questers, they'll have enough upgrade mats for a few items, barely enough for a full set, let alone enough for multiple sets as they level through VR ranks. so they will save those mats til level cap for their "final" set of gear.

unless you're logged in all day and receive 3x profession deliveries a day, it can take an age (or a fortune) to gather enough high quality crafting materials.

I decon everything blue and up, and do all writs every day on my main character. I have several stacks of blue and purple improvement mats, the only ones I ever run out of are gold, when I need to craft new gear for my VR14s. I wouldn't think crafting purple gear would be an issue for anyone, but if it is, blue gear won't be much different and is a little bit cheaper.
    Edited by daemonios on June 19, 2015 12:32PM
  • Frenkthevile
    Frenkthevile
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is not a grind, it's questing. FF14 is events grind. Archeage is trade grind. Korean mmos are mobs grind.
    Cannot be a grind something that you do ONCE, then move on.

ah but then to some people, ESO is all about ignoring the quests and mob grinding to VR14, then daily to get as many CP as possible so they can dominate in pvp.

it's not a healthy playstyle but when people hit VR1, see the mountain in front of them and soil their pants, this is what happens. desperate people will do desprate things in order to be competitive.

Well, then it's THEIR fault, because being competitive in a game it's not healthy for the game's community.
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    I dont get it

endgame content for me is competing at pvp, but there is so many broken things, imbalanaces, too many you must grab this and that, unless you are unbalanced to uselessness things. i see game still be a bit rpg according to devs news, but it must be rpg even at pvp, not a counterstrike

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    I'm in the house that enjoys the vet ranks....but would love to see changes, they should not give you ANY attribute points or given increases with each level, they should NOT be a gear gate, they should only offer skill points, maybe more unique titles, and costumes, pets...maybe a gate for certain quests...i don't know. It needs to be truly horizontal, which is how they marketed vr levels. But now they are simply trying to make them regular levels that take a STUPID amount of time to level through questing. In order to play endgame content or even begin to gear up for endgame you have to be v14, there's no way around it. They could have saved SO many resources by just making level 50 the true top level, and stripping v10 gear down to level 50 a YEAR ago...instead they drug along this grind and are regretting it.

As much as people complain about vertical progression I think people will get bored without it. I personally feel progression should be on a diminishing return curve.
    x8498ehp.gif

So S would be player level and R would be player power (this isn't my graph. :tongue: ).

I also believe in the ILLUSION of progression. What if they implemented your concept @Baconlad but allowed players to keep going up in level. No stats gain, but level gain with skill points along with the little bar that fills up and the increased number.

Of course people would complain about THAT too. This is why I personally think sub-attributes and sub-attribute points along with rotating rewards for level gain would be beneficial.

Edited by Gidorick on June 19, 2015 1:11PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's the difference between grinding 14 VR levels or another 50 normal levels?

that up until not very long ago, 5 VR levels == 50 normal levels. so 14 VR levels is more equivalent to 140 normal levels.

so level cap, is essentially 190. then there's 3600 champion points to go. although you'll probably have about 90 by the time you hit VR14

somehow i dont think that ESO was ever intended as a korean grind mmo. see my post on page 5 for the VR development history.

Getting from VR1 to VR14 is the exact equivalent of going from level 49-50 100 times.
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zevris wrote: »
    :( not impressed, I had so much fun going through the questline and all the different zones and such to get to lvl 50 or vr1. I honestly didn't know what to expect from VR ranks but so far I'm heartbroken, its a wall of pure grinding to make you come back and play but frankly this is not the type of grind that I want. The only type of grind that should ever exist in an mmorpg is gear, reputations, professions etc but not lvling. This is a rant and yes I'm upset but I have no one else to blame other than myself I guess. I just don't have the time to put 8 hours a day grinding to go up a quarter of a lvl. Keep in mind that this is console, there are very few people at the vr ranks yet so there are no vr grind parties and even then there is no fun in this type of grinding. I will be going back to FF XIV for the release of Heavensward but I will return to this when they decide to make a change to the whole VR thing (if that ever happens). Please do not hate on my post, understand that this is my opinion and that I respect everyone's opinion aslong as they aren't ignorant.

I think its ironic how you mention the grind for Vet levels (I mean your right don't get me wrong) and then state your going to play FF XiV for Heavensward. That game is the Biggest Grind Fest for everything under the sun. It's a neat game for sure, I enjoyed a lot of what it had to offer but the whole thing is a large Grind. I mean just to get to harvest resources in the new areas you need max level in that harvesting class. If you want to mine and do botany, that's 2 max lvs plus your primary max lv class and the need to complete the primary storyline (which makes sense) to access the new area. That's not even considering housing, the new airship mats and all the grinding for PVP gear, PVE gear, Beast Tribe statuses and the list goes on. :)
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I love veteran rank lvls. I can finally make good gear without being afrad that in one minute ill outlevel it again.

Not going to lie, this^ is awesome to me as well. On my third character, at VR1 (sorry to those who I attempted that vet dungeon with at the time) and still had level 38 green gear! Hah. You see, I was just sick of crafting gear one day after the other due to outleveling it.. so I just stopped. Was so glad when I hit VR1 and knew I wouldn't need to make new at the end of the weekend.

As well, a topic that has been touched on - alts. Yes, I DO enjoy Caldwell Gold/Silver (the vet ranks), BUT... yeah, on my alts, I must say I'm not as excited about it. During my alts it will be (as they are both sitting at VR2 right now) more about learning the new class, weapons, and dungeon roles - opposed to it being all about the immersion and story. I still like the vet ranks, why? Because at level 50 - I haven't levelled up all the skills I want for dungeons, I haven't mastered my class (heavily due to the ease of 1-50, sure VR isn't any harder, but at least it gives more time).
    Really? I rarely had gear that was more than 4 levels below me anywhere, just using dropped gear and quest rewards. I'm still using the same at VR3- dropped gear and quest rewards.

I STILL don't see the point in going out of my way and/or spending gold to get gear I will out-level, even though it may take a few days to do so.

Really, the only change I've made is that now I use food or drink, where I never did 1-50.
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting from VR1 to VR14 is the exact equivalent of going from level 49-50 100 times.

If this is current, then that's incorrect. ~2.3 mil xp for 1 - 50/VR1. Then another 13 mil xp to get from VR1 to VR14.

Source: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Leveling

edit: My bad. Reading comprehension fail. Too early. Need coffee. Bleh.
    Edited by nastuug on June 19, 2015 3:01PM
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    nastuug wrote: »

If this is current, then that's incorrect. ~2.3 mil xp for 1 - 50/VR1. Then another 13 mil xp to get from VR1 to VR14.

I know that when I went from 49-50 just 2 or 3 months ago it was 140k XP. If it's 1 million XP for each veteran rank and there are 14 veteran ranks, then going from VR1 to VR14 is like going from 49-50 100 times.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    tallenn wrote: »
    I love veteran rank lvls. I can finally make good gear without being afrad that in one minute ill outlevel it again.

Not going to lie, this^ is awesome to me as well. On my third character, at VR1 (sorry to those who I attempted that vet dungeon with at the time) and still had level 38 green gear! Hah. You see, I was just sick of crafting gear one day after the other due to outleveling it.. so I just stopped. Was so glad when I hit VR1 and knew I wouldn't need to make new at the end of the weekend.

As well, a topic that has been touched on - alts. Yes, I DO enjoy Caldwell Gold/Silver (the vet ranks), BUT... yeah, on my alts, I must say I'm not as excited about it. During my alts it will be (as they are both sitting at VR2 right now) more about learning the new class, weapons, and dungeon roles - opposed to it being all about the immersion and story. I still like the vet ranks, why? Because at level 50 - I haven't levelled up all the skills I want for dungeons, I haven't mastered my class (heavily due to the ease of 1-50, sure VR isn't any harder, but at least it gives more time).
    Really? I rarely had gear that was more than 4 levels below me anywhere, just using dropped gear and quest rewards. I'm still using the same at VR3- dropped gear and quest rewards.

I STILL don't see the point in going out of my way and/or spending gold to get gear I will out-level, even though it may take a few days to do so.

Really, the only change I've made is that now I use food or drink, where I never did 1-50.

It's easier and faster if you have a good build while doing it. I used crafted gear all through the veteran ranks. One set of 5 pieces and one set of 4 pieces.

EDIT: You mentioned cost, but I was able to craft a brand new set every level without spending a dime (and I improved it to blue quality) by just using the materials I found and got through deconstruction.
    Edited by MCMancub on June 19, 2015 3:08PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@tallenn Good point. On my first toon I mostly used dropped gear. Crafting my own gear doesn't cost me gold as I harvest while I quest. My second toon was a mix of dropped gear and crafting gear. By my third toon I had VR's.. max level all crafts etc... so she was spoiled with green crafted sets constantly. harvesting for me isn't "going out of my way" I just do it as I wander doing quests. Now I make blue crafted sets for my VR's, almost every VR level (skipped one or two) on my main, and blue crafted gear so far on my others once they hit VR (only VR2).

Oh, and the reason for the ridiculously low level gear on that last toon? The crafted sets gave me more towards my build than non-set dropped gear would.. so I kept using it. It was also my third go.. so at that point it was a breeze to level 1-50. Oh, and towards the "may take a few days".. for me.. my VR gear last weeks, sometimes over a month. I'm slow. lol
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that when I went from 49-50 just 2 or 3 months ago it was 140k XP. If it's 1 million XP for each veteran rank and there are 14 veteran ranks, then going from VR1 to VR14 is like going from 49-50 100 times.

No, no, you're correct. I had to drop an edit into my post after I re-read that. :)
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭

@tallenn Good point. On my first toon I mostly used dropped gear. Crafting my own gear doesn't cost me gold as I harvest while I quest. My second toon was a mix of dropped gear and crafting gear. By my third toon I had VR's.. max level all crafts etc... so she was spoiled with green crafted sets constantly. harvesting for me isn't "going out of my way" I just do it as I wander doing quests. Now I make blue crafted sets for my VR's, almost every VR level (skipped one or two) on my main, and blue crafted gear so far on my others once they hit VR (only VR2).

Oh, and the reason for the ridiculously low level gear on that last toon? The crafted sets gave me more towards my build than non-set dropped gear would.. so I kept using it. It was also my third go.. so at that point it was a breeze to level 1-50. Oh, and towards the "may take a few days".. for me.. my VR gear last weeks, sometimes over a month. I'm slow. lol
    Ah well, I guess that makes sense, if you have maxed crafting, and you're leveling an alt. Crafted sets probably aren't that big of a deal to get. I still don't have any crafts maxed. So yeah, getting crafted gear would take going out of my way or spending gold.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭

Ah well, I guess that makes sense, if you have maxed crafting, and you're leveling an alt. Crafted sets probably aren't that big of a deal to get. I still don't have any crafts maxed. So yeah, getting crafted gear would take going out of my way or spending gold.

It's not really the crafted nature of it that makes it good, but the set bonuses you can get from crafting can be huge. I didn't use any crafting before vet levels and had a lot of survivability issues as a stam NB. Then I started using Hunding's Rage and Ashen's Grip + food and just plow through anything.

No, no, you're correct. I had to drop an edit into my post after I re-read that. :)

Sorry I missed that.