Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Perfect Roe Ratio discovery thread

• KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    So essentially it's completely ridiculous and the time and effort to acquire all pieces of the recipe, being stuck depending on hireling mails for the TWO purple mats that, if you use them for this, will make it impossible to make the upper level food and drinks you ALSO need, and the absolutely terrible drop rate of the roe actually COMPLETELY NEGATES the point of getting a drink that is supposed to...wait for it.... SAVE YOU TIME.

Of course you can always just buy the version they'll be selling in the cash shop.

OF COURSE. :neutral:

Or you can just buy the finished potions with your gold from other players. That way you don't do anything that wastes your time, you simply convert your gold to exp.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • CitraBenzoet_ESO
    CitraBenzoet_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So it does not matter where you catch the fish? No silly thing like only in upper craglorn?
    Edited by CitraBenzoet_ESO on June 19, 2015 4:39PM
    DC- Sir Citra Benzoet v15
    The Psijic Order - 0.016%
    LoM
    UESP
    IBOB
    Mara's Moxie
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    3/505
  • gwillard_ESO
    gwillard_ESO
    ✭✭
    My level 17 caught 15 fish in a Mournhold lake and got 1 Perfect Roe. Level and zone doesn't seem to matter

Fished for a while in upper Craglorn - no roes
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now for the time that it takes to procure roe and for how rare the drop is with provisioning writs all of the experience gained from using the new potion is worth less than just going out and venturing.

As it stands I think the drop rates for both the writs and the fishing need to be bumped a little bit. Anyone else agree? Disagree?
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    It's looking like a fair guess is right around 1% so far. The only problem with all this is, they can change the drop rate at any time, rendering all this invalid.

But I digress. I've filleted 52 fish so far, 0 roe.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    3/605 for me. So that would be closer to .5%

• Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    of 300 fish today, 0 roe were found.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Jofish
    Jofish
    ✭✭✭
    I think there might be a little bit of confusion... what somebody posted made it sound like you could get a frag from cleaning fish: that is not what ZOS said... only way to get a frag is from writs... :)
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky today, 70 fish and 3 roe. That got my ratio back to an average of 1 per hundred.

~500 fish total, 5 roe total.
    Edited by Casdha on June 20, 2015 7:51AM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• mrjimharrisb14_ESO
    mrjimharrisb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    215 fish, 0 roe. Time cost is not worth the buff benefit. Retiring my fishing pole.
  • Grapdjan
    Grapdjan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I of my characters has a 100% drop rate. ! Salmon, 1 Roe.

The other I opened 500 fish and got 11 Roe.
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have decided to mule all the fish that I catch from here on in in the hope that in a future update the drop rate of perfect roe increases.

I mean really, I probably won't be able to craft the potion for half a year because the drop for recipe pieces is so incredibly low. Nothing lost by stocking up on fish.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well one week of fishing ....just because,

1001 Fish => 9 ROE

VR5 Character - L50 Prov 4/4 6/6 - Sources predominately Glenumbra Ocean/River/Foul/Lake and Craglorn Lake/River

All Skinning done at once. Also applied one Psijic Ambrosia at start just because. Ambrosia empty for Foul fish skinning.

Ocean - Dhulfish (151) - 4 ROE - Votan Skinner Addon / Longfin (150) 2 ROE - Votan Skinner

Lake - Silverside Perch (117) 1 ROE - Votan Skinner / Spadetail (131) 1 ROE - Votan Skinner

River - River Betty (104) 1 ROE - Votan Skinner / Salmon (131) 0 ROE - Manual Skinning

Foul - Slaughterfish (117) 0 ROE - Votan Skinner / Trodh (100) 0 ROE - Votan Skinner after 15min break

RNG all over the place, I thought there might be a throttle so I switched to manual for the Salmon and took a break before I finished with the Trodh. If I decide to fish anymore I will redo the 150+ amounts again on diff fish. And I will do both logoff and day+ between skinnings.

Fishing not bad but gets kinda old after a while, had not started it before so I did get quite a few trophys.

If/When I can ever make Ambrosia I have a 36 Drink start at least, and ROE market is still ~20k for quick cash.
  • Jofish
    Jofish
    ✭✭✭
    Roe seems to be proc'ing at about 1 of 150 on the average...
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    Update: 140 fish filleted now and 4 Perfect Roe so far.

210 fish filleted now, and 7 Perfect Roe found.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 fish,
    2 roe
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• KriHavok
    KriHavok
    ✭✭✭✭
    Foul Water: 168 fish - 1 roe
    Ocean: 21 fish - 2 roe
    Lake: 63 fish - 1 roe

Personally, from what I've heard from other players also, is that Perfect Roe spawns more from ocean fish than the other categories. I'm not sure if this is just chance or intentional as part of the system however.
    UESP Staffer & Wiki Editor
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to wonder if there is something to this fish type

all but one of mine has come from Ocean fish now that i think about it.

If that were the case I cant remember the exact numbers but it would be about 4 found in 120 or so Ocean fish, 1 in about 300 river, and 0 in 200 foul.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if there is something to this fish type

all but one of mine has come from Ocean fish now that i think about it.

If that were the case I cant remember the exact numbers but it would be about 4 found in 120 or so Ocean fish, 1 in about 300 river, and 0 in 200 foul.

That would be good to look at.
  • Max2497
    Max2497
    ✭✭✭
    It might be good to start posting by fish type.

200 foul water fish - 1 roe
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    All of the people who don't like fishing hate how much time it takes to get perfect roe, while those of us who like fishing are just walking around with big grins on our faces :D

I can attest this is true, especially the part about the big grin. Here's how it works:

1. Save all your bait from Day 1 of gameplay because you have that horder gene. You know, the one Paul Sage and others make fun of.
    2. Over a year later, have stacks of bait in your bank. Stacks. Huge stacks.
    3. Fish for two hours while chatting with your guild friends about Fallout, E3, life.
    4. Sell perfect roe like a drug dealer.
    5. Big grin. Really, really big grin.
    Having a private guild bank (since nobody else from that guild has logged on in 8+ months) to keep your fat stacks of bait in helps... :D I'm sitting on a little over 2500 guts right now. Less of everything else, but the bait I have the least of (worms) I still have over 800...

Of course, so far since perfect roe became available I've only spent about an hour fishing and only got 1, but I'll be fishing on the weekend with guildies, and that's always a blast. I'm sure I'll get at least a few more perfect roe then, depending on how long we end up fishing before everyone's too drunk to continue.

You're missing one of the other factors. Rivers are the easiest place to fish. Insect parts are required to fish rivers. Butteflies and Torchbugs are abundant in some places - AND PEOPLE AREN'T FARMING THEM :D. Rivenspire has a big meadow area with Butterflies everywhere, though I think no one farms that meadow either - and no, I'm telling you where it is, find your own "Big Meadow" LOL ;D.

In reference to OP No Perfect Roe yet, but then I've only caught 37 white fish so far.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the people who don't like fishing hate how much time it takes to get perfect roe, while those of us who like fishing are just walking around with big grins on our faces :D

I can attest this is true, especially the part about the big grin. Here's how it works:

1. Save all your bait from Day 1 of gameplay because you have that horder gene. You know, the one Paul Sage and others make fun of.
    3. Fish for two hours while chatting with your guild friends about Fallout, E3, life.
    Having a private guild bank (since nobody else from that guild has logged on in 8+ months) to keep your fat stacks of bait in helps... :D I'm sitting on a little over 2500 guts right now. Less of everything else, but the bait I have the least of (worms) I still have over 800...

Of course, so far since perfect roe became available I've only spent about an hour fishing and only got 1, but I'll be fishing on the weekend with guildies, and that's always a blast. I'm sure I'll get at least a few more perfect roe then, depending on how long we end up fishing before everyone's too drunk to continue.

You're missing one of the other factors. Rivers are the easiest place to fish. Insect parts are required to fish rivers. Butteflies and Torchbugs are abundant in some places - AND PEOPLE AREN'T FARMING THEM :D. Rivenspire has a big meadow area with Butterflies everywhere, though I think no one farms that meadow either - and no, I'm telling you where it is, find your own "Big Meadow" LOL ;D.

In reference to OP No Perfect Roe yet, but then I've only caught 37 white fish so far.
    Honestly, almost all of Rivenspire is an insect parts farmer's paradise... I have my own area of Rivenspire where I like to do a circuit, and I can get a full stack of insect parts in what seems like no time - as well as a bunch of guts along the way from squirrels and such, and various plants, so if I'm lucky I get some worms too. But I feel like there are tons of other areas of the zone that I could go to for insect parts farming if I started to see competition for my favorite spot.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Honestly, almost all of Rivenspire is an insect parts farmer's paradise... I have my own area of Rivenspire where I like to do a circuit, and I can get a full stack of insect parts in what seems like no time - as well as a bunch of guts along the way from squirrels and such, and various plants, so if I'm lucky I get some worms too. But I feel like there are tons of other areas of the zone that I could go to for insect parts farming if I started to see competition for my favorite spot.

There shouldn't be all that much competition. I have noticed a HUGE increase in the drops for worms and the number and spawn rate of bugs and animals to give insects parts, crawlers and guts from. I suspect to see the amount for these to drop a lot in the guild stores since they are so, so easy to get on your own now.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Jofish
    Jofish
    ✭✭✭
    k, today I cleaned about 280 fish; 6 roe
  • tino.antoninieb17_ESO
    First question is : are there any modifiers in that probability equation . Namely ; bate , race of fisherman , location, time in day or any other external factor which is influencing chances that u get your pots. As u can see from peoples report there is a large spreed in their results.... maybe there are really some modifiers which are decisive factor in your chances to get that roe at the end .
    Other crafts / professions are roughly making 20 k gold for professional per labor hour. When this craft goes in mature phase and there is not high entry fee like today ( buying all recipes ), so when a significant amount of players are able to make pots than math will probably be similar to any other profession. I expect to see price of one pot in neighborhood of 4-5 k if in average u need 1 hour to catch one roe.
  • Jaybomb
    Jaybomb
    ✭✭
    You may notice now in crown stores that a scroll can be bought that does the same as the xp drink but lasts 2 whole hours so yeah its pretty much a waste of time unless of course you love fishing and writs so its like everything else in eso some will go all out and farm mats some will buy them with game gold and others who have more money than sense will use hard earned cash to buy scrolls :):wink: you know it SAME RULEZ APPLY
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaybomb wrote: »
    You may notice now in crown stores that a scroll can be bought that does the same as the xp drink but lasts 2 whole hours so yeah its pretty much a waste of time unless of course you love fishing and writs so its like everything else in eso some will go all out and farm mats some will buy them with game gold and others who have more money than sense will use hard earned cash to buy scrolls :):wink: you know it SAME RULEZ APPLY
    You can craft 4 Ambrosia (=2 hours) with one Roe. With passives they last longer than a scroll. Then again, scrolls are sold in packs of 5.
  • oddsmaker
    oddsmaker
    ✭✭
    After 9004 fish (I had kept all my fish while working for Master Angler in the build bank), I received 93 perfect roe.

This works out to be a probability of 1.03%, 95% confidence interval 0.83% to 1.26%. Being a statistician, I think I'm ready to call the probability of getting a perfect roe to be 1%.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    oddsmaker wrote: »
    After 9004 fish (I had kept all my fish while working for Master Angler in the build bank), I received 93 perfect roe.

This works out to be a probability of 1.03%, 95% confidence interval 0.83% to 1.26%. Being a statistician, I think I'm ready to call the probability of getting a perfect roe to be 1%.

And with that large data set, were all fish types equal in the end? My 1001 had very different results by type.