The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Just had a look at the UI for PS4

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »
    But then wouldn't it be better to just stay on PC?

I guess, if you want to somehow sit your PC on your lap while you sit on the couch and have to hook it up to your big screen TV or something, but that seems like a lot of work every time you want to play ESO comfortably. If you even have a PC that you think will run it.

Just because somebody is more comfortable using a keyboard for social purposes in online games doesn't automatically mean that they want to be confined to their PC.

You want to roll your shoulders back and enjoy the game, but nobody who likes keyboards should be able to sit one on the armrest of their lazyboy while they do the same? : /

Just plug in the external hdmi cable from PC to TV. Wireless mouse/keyboard and you're rockin!
    It's how I play minus the mouse as my keyboard is attached to my Xbox controller

And that gives you a console UI w/ full controller support and voice chat functions (because VC is still pretty useful in PvP or group dungeons, even if you prefer a kb) while being connected to your XBL friends?

Wow.

Well of course not. I'm giving you a hard time from our prior comments.
    I'm just picking or poking fun

I figured as much. : P

I'm just saying that players' preference for how they play games shouldn't be dictated so rigidly by their choice to play on a console or a PC, etc. It just seems like backwards thinking to me in an ever more progressive world.

I like to think that ZOS understands this, as much as I ride them about some of the decisions they've made (I highly doubt they take much of what random poster #628 says on their forum to heart), and choice has always been touted as a hallmark of both this game and TES series.

That's why I'm hopeful that while they may not be planning to support kb for console launch, it's something that they may revisit in the future if they see enough desire for this.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Those menus look painful. Like the horrible default Skyrim menus.

I enjoy playing many games with a controller, but menus are always horrible.
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    KrisButtar wrote: »

*Removed some of the quote for space reasons

This basically states that the developer wants Microsoft Xbox to ignore and go against its agreements, policies and security to their customers in order for the game to be played with others.

It doesn't say that Microsoft isn't willing to allow cross platform play but instead it demonstrates that the game server quality and controls do not meet a standard that allows Xbox live customers to be placed on it.

BIG DIFERRENCE from "Microsoft doesn't want cross platform"

"Specifically, Microsoft refuses to allow titles to share multiplayer servers between other platforms." That's Microsoft's policy and if they wanted cross platform gaming they would remove it or at least edit it an say the server requires to be at a high enough quality but instead they give a blanket refusal to all. If they won't share the server's how can they have cross platform? That sounds like Microsoft doesn't want cross platform to me.

PS. thanks for the tip in the other thread :)

Can you cite this for me to read?

My quote comes from the SE developer interview from this link http://www.rpgsite.net/news/2430-ff14-director-a-realm-reborn-skipping-xbox-is-still-down-to-microsoft

To be fair, I'm not a developer/publisher and I'm guessing that the policy is on that side and not the user side as its developer/publisher speaking out about the policy. SE is not the only ones who have spoke out against this cross platform policy, you have War Thunder and Warframe guys/girls saying it has to change along with the Dust 514. Everyone speaks about the FF14 one because that was the big triple A game. To me that's the whole reason why those are games exclusive. Only the Defiance guys have said it was both Sony and Microsoft.

Also since Phil Spencer has taking over I'm sure he will change things for the better starting with Fable as they started offering cross platform play with PC recently and he has been changing that other policy on a game by game basis already.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-War-Thunder-PS4-Xbox-One-Because-Microsoft-Prevents-Cross-Platform-Play-63035.html

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/07/11/xbox-live-cross-platform-problems/

On a side note I finished Unity...what an awful AC game when does this console beta start

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

*Removed some of the quote for space reasons

This basically states that the developer wants Microsoft Xbox to ignore and go against its agreements, policies and security to their customers in order for the game to be played with others.

It doesn't say that Microsoft isn't willing to allow cross platform play but instead it demonstrates that the game server quality and controls do not meet a standard that allows Xbox live customers to be placed on it.

BIG DIFERRENCE from "Microsoft doesn't want cross platform"

"Specifically, Microsoft refuses to allow titles to share multiplayer servers between other platforms." That's Microsoft's policy and if they wanted cross platform gaming they would remove it or at least edit it an say the server requires to be at a high enough quality but instead they give a blanket refusal to all. If they won't share the server's how can they have cross platform? That sounds like Microsoft doesn't want cross platform to me.

PS. thanks for the tip in the other thread :)

Can you cite this for me to read?

My quote comes from the SE developer interview from this link http://www.rpgsite.net/news/2430-ff14-director-a-realm-reborn-skipping-xbox-is-still-down-to-microsoft

To be fair, I'm not a developer/publisher and I'm guessing that the policy is on that side and not the user side as its developer/publisher speaking out about the policy. SE is not the only ones who have spoke out against this cross platform policy, you have War Thunder and Warframe guys/girls saying it has to change along with the Dust 514. Everyone speaks about the FF14 one because that was the big triple A game. To me that's the whole reason why those are games exclusive. Only the Defiance guys have said it was both Sony and Microsoft.

Also since Phil Spencer has taking over I'm sure he will change things for the better starting with Fable as they started offering cross platform play with PC recently and he has been changing that other policy on a game by game basis already.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-War-Thunder-PS4-Xbox-One-Because-Microsoft-Prevents-Cross-Platform-Play-63035.html

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/07/11/xbox-live-cross-platform-problems/

On a side note I finished Unity...what an awful AC game when does this console beta start

Those articles....yeah
    None identify that Microsoft doesn't allow cross platform. It does identify that certain requirements apply when any developer wants Xbox live users on their servers. So basically it shouldn't be assumed that Microsoft doesn't allow cross platform but it should be interpreted that there are policies and requirements that must be met. To me those articles identify a development who is trying to get Microsoft Xbox to ignore and overlook their policies so that a developers oversights can allow gameplay. Also notice the game was never released even on an Xbox server.

But back to the topic at hand.
    TESO Xbox and ps4....I'm getting anxious for more information about our experiences that differ from PC.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 21, 2015 11:28PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Cynnalia
    Cynnalia
    ✭✭✭
    I am transferring my PC account to the PS4 and I am very disappointed that there appears to be no text chat options. As many have mentioned already in this thread, there are several social scenarios where voice chat would not work. I thought this was an MMO? My PS4 guild is gearing up for release and we are all concerned about how communication is going to work for the console version. If there truly is no text chat option, not even with on-screen keyboard, I hope Zeni will reconsider their decision. This is not just me as a PC player wanting the console version to be identical to what I'm used to; I am also speaking for my console guildmates who have not played a single day but still expect MMO basics like text chat.
    NA PS4 Daggerfall Covenant Characters -- CP 755

Sulin Shadowdancer -- Redguard Nightblade -- Dragonstar Arena Champion, General Executioner, Tamriel Hero
    Ysorya Traven - Breton Sorcerer -- Monster Hunter, Master Angler, Explorer, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Tamriel Hero
    Eriah A'kiranya-- Redguard Dragon Knight, tank
    Sybilline Travadon -- Altmer Templar -- Maelstrom Arena Champion
    At-Sixes-and-Sevens -- Argonian Templar, healer
    Mercurial Malice -- Dunmer Nightblade
    Fern Gullie -- Bosmer Warden, level 45
    Ghareshi-ri - Khajiit, Necromancer, level 9
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cynnalia wrote: »
    I am transferring my PC account to the PS4 and I am very disappointed that there appears to be no text chat options. As many have mentioned already in this thread, there are several social scenarios where voice chat would not work. I thought this was an MMO? My PS4 guild is gearing up for release and we are all concerned about how communication is going to work for the console version. If there truly is no text chat option, not even with on-screen keyboard, I hope Zeni will reconsider their decision. This is not just me as a PC player wanting the console version to be identical to what I'm used to; I am also speaking for my console guildmates who have not played a single day but still expect MMO basics like text chat.

I think you've read the wrong comments. No keyboard chat doesn't mean no text chat at all
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭

I think you've read the wrong comments. No keyboard chat doesn't mean no text chat at all

Software keyboard may be better than nothing at all. But it might not be the best method of doing it. As long as that question remains with no other text options, this is a poor decision.
    An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am transferring myou PC account to the PS4 and I am very disappointed that there appears to be no text chat options. As many have mentioned already in this thread, there are several social scenarios where voice chat would not work. I thought this was an MMO? My PS4 guild is gearing up for release and we are all concerned about how communication is going to work for the console version. If there truly is no text chat option, not even with on-screen keyboard, I hope Zeni will reconsider their decision. This is not just me as a PC player wanting the console version to be identical to what I'm used to; I am also speaking for my console guildmates who have not played a single day but still expect MMO basics like text chat.

When ZOS don't respond to queries like this after a few days it is usually because they know people aren't going to like the answer so they wait and announce it at the same time as positive news to brush it under the rug.

We currently have type chat using a keyboard. They have confirmed that type chat using a keyboard will not be in the console game. Despite requests for clarification on whether we have any other forms of zone chat capability we have heard nothing else. I love your optimism but the silence is just as much of an answer. It seems that ZOS has decided that we don't need zone chat for console and that voice chat in guilds and say distance is good enough. I haven't seen anything to suggest that an in game keyboard is going to be usable for zone chat and the fact that we can use a keyboard for text box like guild names but not for zone chat seems more likely to suggest that there will be no zone chat.

Like others I hope ZOS reconsiders this as without some form of zone chat we have no means of fighting as an Alliance in Cyrodiil and people looking for guilds in game will have to brave the likely mess that say distance voice chat will be.
    Edited by Curragraigue on April 22, 2015 5:02AM
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • xeoneexb14_ESO
    xeoneexb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel like reading 8 pages of a thread to find the answer, someone clue me in. How the hell is voice chat going to work for pc unless they plan to add voicechat to pc as well?

I'm not sure I like this idea, because if they DONT add support ingame for PC I'll have to sit and listen to people talking to us via voicechat, and I'll have to resort to typing. Now don't get me wrong I prefer typing to voicechat. But I get tired of having to listen to other peoples voices, it's why i never use it and i abhor using it. I am very curoius how this is going to be dealt with. I imagine they will add it for pc and please PLEASE allow me to set voice chat volume to 0 cause this is absolutely going to annoy the reedonkulous *** out of me.
    John 3:16 = For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't feel like reading 8 pages of a thread to find the answer, someone clue me in. How the hell is voice chat going to work for pc unless they plan to add voicechat to pc as well?

I'm not sure I like this idea, because if they DONT add support ingame for PC I'll have to sit and listen to people talking to us via voicechat, and I'll have to resort to typing. Now don't get me wrong I prefer typing to voicechat. But I get tired of having to listen to other peoples voices, it's why i never use it and i abhor using it. I am very curoius how this is going to be dealt with. I imagine they will add it for pc and please PLEASE allow me to set voice chat volume to 0 cause this is absolutely going to annoy the reedonkulous *** out of me.

What ...this is a console only topic. Please read the first 2-3 pages before commenting again.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there certainly hasn't been any form of official confirmation that there IS text chat at all. There's nothing SOLID other than "there is no keyboard support for chat" to go on.

I'm not in the habit of building my houses on sand, if you know what I mean.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there certainly hasn't been any form of official confirmation that there IS text chat at all. There's nothing SOLID other than "there is no keyboard support for chat" to go on.

read this link
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26768/kw/Xbox one

WHAT CHAT SYSTEMS ARE AVAILABLE TO PLAYERS ON CONSOLES?
    Updated 04/17/2015 06:37 PM Published 01/28/2015 11:24 AM
    The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited will support voice chat.

Console versions of the game will also provide limited input by USB-connected keyboards for features not already supported by voice chat or controller input.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

read this link

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited will support voice chat.

Console versions of the game will also provide limited input by USB-connected keyboards for features not already supported by voice chat or controller input.

Yes, I've read that, and @ZOS_JasonLeavey already specified that the "limited input" would be for text fields such as naming guilds.

What he did NOT say is that there would be zone chat and that you could use a USB keyboard to communicate w/ other players via the zone chat text field. Nothing even remotely close to this was said.

So again, there is absolutely nothing solid to go on other than what we have been told in this thread.

Just because YOU are hopeful that it will work this way doesn't mean that you can just tell people they are reading the "wrong comments". Wrong?

I'm stating exactly what has been said by ZOS, no more, no less. You're speculating about something that you HOPE will be available, but there is ZERO evidence for and has essentially been contradicted by ZOS' latest statement.

Whose comment is the "wrong" one here? <.<
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

read this link

Yes, I've read that, and @ZOS_JasonLeavey already specified that the "limited input" would be for text fields such as naming guilds.

What he did NOT say is that there would be zone chat and that you could use a USB keyboard to communicate w/ other players via the zone chat text field. Nothing even remotely close to this was said.

So again, there is absolutely nothing solid to go on other than what we have been told in this thread.

Just because YOU are hopeful that it will work this way doesn't mean that you can just tell people they are reading the "wrong comments". Wrong?

I'm stating exactly what has been said by ZOS, no more, no less. You're speculating about something that you HOPE will be available, but there is ZERO evidence for and has essentially been contradicted by ZOS' latest statement.

No where has anyone seen, read or shown that a zone chat so to speak would be removed so my speculation is that the game will have very similar features as PC unless otherwise stated. Unless you're drawing other conclusions this is good information.

I think the reactions to no keyboard chat support are massively drawing conclusions that were never brought up by ZOS

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wish I could increase the font for the menus on the pc version, I play on a TV not a monitor whilst lounging around on my bed. But it's doing wonders for my abs having to lean forward every now and again. I really hope they decide to bring in game voice chat to the game, that would make life so much easier.

you can scale the UI
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

read this link

No where has anyone seen, read or shown that a zone chat so to speak would be removed so my speculation is that the game will have very similar features as PC unless otherwise stated. Unless you're drawing other conclusions this is good information.

I think the reactions to no keyboard chat support are massively drawing conclusions that were never brought up by ZOS

With respect, that's not "good information", that's just speculation. That's literally the opposite of good info.

They've replied twice to this thread, in fairly rapid succession for them. They're clearly keeping an eye on the conversation.

Do you see them chiming in to clarify again? Because I don't. Nowhere has anyone seen, read, or shown that zone chat is even still part of the console UI, btw, though I'm not going to make any assumptions about that.

What was said was clearly:

"However, keyboard support for chat is not something that will be available for the console version of the game. You will be able to use a keyboard for text entry in areas such as guild naming, etc., but not for chatting."

ANYTHING beyond this is pure speculation. It is NOT "good info", it is an assumption.

Assumptions are the epitome of BAD info.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there folks,

Console beta invitations will be sent in waves throughout the day, so keep an eye on your inbox. We thank everyone for their patience and their interest in the ESOTU console beta!
  • Merenwen_812
    Merenwen_812
    ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

We wanted to provide an update on keyboard support for the console version of ESOTU. Unfortunately, the message I posted in this thread yesterday was based on our development plans from earlier in the year, which included keyboard support for chat. However, keyboard support for chat is not something that will be available for the console version of the game. You will be able to use a keyboard for text entry in areas such as guild naming, etc., but not for chatting. Mouse support is not planned for the console version of ESOTU.

As things change in development, we definitely try our best to stay on top of those changes to keep you in the loop, but we know that misinformation can be frustrating. Again, we apologize for the confusion.

this seems to be game breaker for so many people. having it only voice chat for things like guilds is gonna be such a headache. so many people yelling and pure chaos. A party of friends can get loud at times, imagine what it would sound like with hundreds of voices........ however with so many canceling because of no chat box, maybe there will be only 8 peple playing <_<
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    See ya in zone chat, or ill be deleting account lol
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

We wanted to provide an update on keyboard support for the console version of ESOTU. Unfortunately, the message I posted in this thread yesterday was based on our development plans from earlier in the year, which included keyboard support for chat. However, keyboard support for chat is not something that will be available for the console version of the game. You will be able to use a keyboard for text entry in areas such as guild naming, etc., but not for chatting. Mouse support is not planned for the console version of ESOTU.

As things change in development, we definitely try our best to stay on top of those changes to keep you in the loop, but we know that misinformation can be frustrating. Again, we apologize for the confusion.

this seems to be game breaker for so many people. having it only voice chat for things like guilds is gonna be such a headache. so many people yelling and pure chaos. A party of friends can get loud at times, imagine what it would sound like with hundreds of voices........ however with so many canceling because of no chat box, maybe there will be only 8 peple playing <_<

Well, we should find out soon enough whether it's possible or not to use the keyboard to chat. Even though they already said you couldn't. <.<
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

@ZOS_JasonLeavey @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno

After watching some streams I think it's a big mistake to not include text chat in the console version. "Someone tell (Insert Player X's Name) to help me with this boss" was something I heard quite a bit.

One topic that I take pretty seriously beyond just the fundamental inability to communicate in order to form a group is the lack of accessibility options for those with disabilities. Is ESO not for deaf gamers or others with disabilities or handicaps? The subtitles are, for the most part, accurate and allow the player to progress through the story just fine but the random NPC chatter goes unhandled. In addition, the obvious lack of text chat similar to ESO PC version is a huge mistake. If you need an example of how to implement subtitles and text chat for consoles then please take a look at DC Universe Online.

By choosing to not include text chat you are choosing to not only limit communication avenues for those with disabilities but also those that wish to not use a microphone. I think it's a big mistake to not include text chat in your social MMO game.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that confirmed, then?

No zone chat text boxes, etc? I still haven't gotten a chance to sit down and watch some streams. : /
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that confirmed, then?

No zone chat text boxes, etc? I still haven't gotten a chance to sit down and watch some streams. : /

yes, chat boxes do not exist in the Console version
  • Ruthven
    Ruthven
    ✭✭✭
    Surely this is something they will add soon after Go Live or maybe a Day One patch?
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruthven wrote: »
    Surely this is something they will add soon after Go Live or maybe a Day One patch?

nope, far as we know, there is no chat boxes at all. they had originally planned for it but could not get it to work
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »
    Is that confirmed, then?

yes, chat boxes do not exist in the Console version

Ouch. Well, that's what I assumed, but I know some people were still holding out hope.

Such a shame.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still just waiting to see how those tablet-grade processors handle Cyrodil.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • originalbars
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    I wish I could increase the font for the menus on the pc version, I play on a TV not a monitor whilst lounging around on my bed. But it's doing wonders for my abs having to lean forward every now and again. I really hope they decide to bring in game voice chat to the game, that would make life so much easier.

you can scale the UI

Streamer i asked said you couldnt, he even showed the menus (and adjusted the screen) couldnt change the UI scale in his game..
  • Ruthven
    Ruthven
    ✭✭✭
    Sallington wrote: »
    I smell a PC elitist... :*
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ruthven wrote: »
    Sallington wrote: »
    I smell a PC elitist... :*

Call me what you want, but I've gotten FPS drops into the low 20's on a consistent basis with an i7-4790k. I honestly am just confused with how it's supposed to work on consoles without it being a slideshow.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||