The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crypt of Hearts Veteran Pledge - some bosses are too powerful & too many adds

Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
I do not know if this is just me.

But ever since that dungeon scaling and pledge system has been released, some boss mobs are simply not really doable. At least not by normal players.

Some are doable, but some I find simply impossible to do ever since that new system has been released.

They are too powerful. They deal too much and too fast AoE dmg, that also keeps following. At the same time adds, that deal more damage than the boss mob, are spawned in very fast cycles... at the same time multiple people of your group get webbed, stunned or whatever in very rapid cycles - depend on someone to free them in time - while adds and AoE-Damage follow you around.

In short - it is only a rat race. So much dmg has been dealt, that the group wipes within 2 minutes... maybe we last 5 minutes but then we did not do much dmg to boss, because we were busy killing adds that do even more dmg than the boss.

As I wrote before, some are doable, but some are just insane...

Is this supposed to remain like this or will this be fixed and balanced?

Can only speak for myself. But the current high-end content bores and frustrates me. Don't need that after a stressful day of hard work... I want fun and a real challenge not just some super-ubber-pimped boss mob that can only be done when you are some over-dressed 24/7 player.

Considering the amount of people I have seen leaving over the past weeks, I am probably not alone with that view. But as things are, I am going to join them soon and hope that the next Offline Game from Beth will be better.

It really saddens me to write this, since I had high hopes. I played many MMORPGs for many years - and really had hoped that ESO won't repeat the same mistakes...
That game is not even 1 year old... and it already frustrates at the high-end content with the very same mistakes all the others MMORPGs did over several years... that's a new record.
Edited by Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO on November 30, 2014 4:08PM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if this is just me.

But ever since that dungeon scaling and pledge system has been released, some boss mobs are simply not really doable. At least not by normal players.

I like a challenge, and I can do these dungeons but I really don't see how a large portion of the player base are going to get these done. Some of the problems are bugs, such as banished cells bosses being unblockable. It's been reported since 1.5 released and here we are on what 1.5.6 and still no fix or recognition of the problem.

I don't want these dungeons turned into a face roll so perhaps the solution could be the following
    • Make the final boss capable of dropping a Gold Key
    • Make the challenge something that is turned on at the start of the dungeon
    • Fix bugs like the unblockable bosses.

Now XP and key are attainable to everyone while also avoiding the challenge, and challenge remains intact as a rewardable option.
    Edited by Armitas on November 30, 2014 4:18PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand correctly you are leaving, because you were unable to complete a veteran dungeon. Which is not aimed at normal players?

To get back on topic, I don't think veteran pledges are too hard.

I've played plenty of other MMOs. Heroic / Veteran (call them what you like) dungeons there are really easy. So easy you don't even have to use your brain.

You are frustrated only because you can't faceroll dungeons like in pretty much every other MMO out there.

• Aenlir
    Aenlir
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the most recent time I did crypt of hearts it seemed like the enemies had lower health than normal and the dungeon was much easier. This disapointed me a lot, the adds now even with one good dps will be dead extremely quickly. Even the boss aoes don't seem to be hitting as hard now in CoH. As for the other vr dungeons they seem ok with maybe the exceptions of vr spindle and BC. I could see one boss in each being a problem for some as they seem to require more dps than most average groups seem to do.
    Edited by Aenlir on November 30, 2014 4:27PM
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    I see no challenge here. If a certain boss mob cannot be done by "normal" player, it is simply pointless. That's not what I consider a challenge.

That makes that pledge or dungeon one less quest/dungeon to explore and experience - that means less content for the money.

I do not buy a book if pages are missing. So why should I do the same with a game. Not having a chance as a normal player to get pledges done, because some of the boss mobs are not really doable... that is for me the same. Missing content I cannot experience.

I do not expect the game to be easy and blown up my arse with sugar.

But this rat-race stuff - running in circles, while adds keep eating at you and your other groupies, while at the same time you get followed by AoEs... running out of mana and stamina, until you have to give in under the amount of adds spawning and damage coming in from all sides.

Could as well just drop a nuke on us, and be done with it. Same result.

Well, I cancelled my account today. That experience from today just gave me that real "good bye feeling". I am not leaving because I failed on one dungeon. Because whenever I got in there with a group, it just ended as wipe-fest.

We checked out guides, we checked out what is needed. We even go by equipment recommendations and so on. We tried our own strategies. Nothing worked.
    After weeks, this gets a bit old and today was simply enough.

I do not know what kind of gear you guys are wearing and how much dmg you can deal. I dunno what makes you claim that bosses are super easy and do not hit hard.
    I just know that inner light, surge, absorbtion field and whatnot do not really do anything to add to the positive. Adds keep coming and zerg the group to death.
    No chance. And we were all VR14 today.
    Good for you, if all is so easy for you in VR Pledges.
    For me, getting constantly swarmed by so many adds that I died with 6 K of dmg within 2 seconds... I wonder who has that much HP.

If they finally come to their senses and balance stuff and release a similar system like in DDO where you can pick "normal, hard, elite".... I will consider to come back.

EDIT:
    And there is a difference between "too easy" and "too hard".
    But ever since this has been released, I just got one lousy pledge done. All other attempts kept failing and failing - despite reading up on guides...
    That has nothing to do that I am expecting "easy". I expect balanced. And not that 24/7 pissing contest that is currently going on.
    Edited by Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO on November 30, 2014 4:38PM
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If they finally come to their senses and balance stuff and release a similar system like in DDO where you can pick "normal, hard, elite".... I will consider to come back.

Yeah maybe they should have multiple versions of group dungeons. Like they could have a regular one for regular players and then they could have a Vet dungeon for Veteran players. Gee that sure would be ingenious of them.
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO

Yeah maybe they should have multiple versions of group dungeons. Like they could have a regular one for regular players and then they could have a Vet dungeon for Veteran players. Gee that sure would be ingenious of them.

Save your irony. That what we have now is not even close to the system I just named.
    There should be VR-Normal, VR-Hard, VR-Elite...
    and that casual stuff that there is right now...
  • Aeratus
    Aeratus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're talking about the spider daedra boss. That boss is just about team coordination. Not much more.

- The storm always follows one player, so when the storm spawns, the player under target should kit it AWAY from the others.

- If someone is webbed, free them. Also, if the storm is present, don't kite the storm into the player that is webbed.

- When adds spawn, group them together and AOE them down.

- Finally, all players must be aware of the above three events immediately when they occur. A slow reaction is death to the group.
    Edited by Aeratus on November 30, 2014 4:44PM
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    I am talking about the spider daedra boss and also the very last one with the ebony blade.
    The last one I got to a few days ago, when a group lost members before the last fight.

But no matter...

The problem I see here is, that she kept webbing more than one player at the same time.
    At the same time she spawned a huge zerg of spiders, launched lightning aoe and some other that follows you around.
    The adds do more dmg than the boss, and they spawn in very brief cycles. So even if one keeps killing them, they respawn to fast.

Each time we tried to free the webbed players, the adds zerged over us and killed us.
    Not even a second to breathe, not even a second to raise or un-webb someone.

We are (and were) only 4 people. One tank and the rest is healing and dps.
    As I said. We constantly got so many adds at once, that we wiped almost instantly.
    Longest we survived was 5 minutes, because we were more busy with adds than the boss.
    And it really stinks when you get killed by 6K dmg done by adds...
    No one has that much HP.

We managed the other boss before, too and he had healer adds. Not easy, but doable. But he also did not spawn too many in too short cycles. There was at least a logical system behind it. That spider daedra just spawns them almost non-stop.

The last boss guy with the ebon sword is no better. At the end, when he is close to die - he grabs his sword and one hit of that thing just killed everyone instantly.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider myself a "normal" player (playing from Australia with 300ms ping) and I don't find any of the dungeons overly difficult. If a group is having trouble, I can usually identify the problem (the most common one being not enough DPS: seriously, spamming Destro staff heavy attack does not a DPS make. Your dress isn't going to carry you to victory).

If you're having trouble with every single pledge, I think you should examine your own build first. Making a dungeon-worthy build really isn't hard and doesn't require significant investment or min-maxing.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on November 30, 2014 4:55PM
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just... Ha ha
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    My build as a Sorc:
    Magicka 25
    Health 35
    Stamina 2

HP: 2051 unbuffed -> 2519 buffed
    Magicka: 2365 unbuffed -> 2581 buffed and also soft capped
    Magicka Regen: 161
    Spell Resist: 2269 also soft capped

VR5 Blue or Purple food - depending on what I am supposed to do.

Wearing 5 X Purple Seducer and 4X Mara Set (incl. Staff swap)
    Infused, Divine + purple glyph enhancements...

Spell Crit : 30 % - 36 % depening which staff I use.

All my dmg enhancing and dmg dealing spells are maxed and morphed.
    Also those of the Mage Guild, and also those of Warrior guild for exra dmg on daedra and undead.

One bar is for healing and staying alive...
    The other bar is for damage and debuffing...

AoE didn't do anything to the spider addes btw.
    We herded them together. AoEs did not do any dmg. We had to nuke them one by one, that was the only damage they acknowledged.
    AoEs, maxed out... even with spell enhancer pots and spells... did nothing at all.
    The only spell that really did some dmg was Crystal Fragments and Crushing Shock. Everything else dmg-wise from the sorc line was useless.

• Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    Just... Ha ha
    What you're doing here Nelson?
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭
    My build as a Sorc:
    Magicka 25
    Health 35
    Stamina 2

Also those of the Mage Guild, and also those of Warrior guild for exra dmg on daedra and undead.

We herded them together. AoEs did not do any dmg. We had to nuke them one by one, that was the only damage they acknowledged.
    AoEs, maxed out... even with spell enhancer pots and spells... did nothing at all.
    The only spell that really did some dmg was Crystal Fragments and Crushing Shock. Everything else dmg-wise from the sorc line was useless.

With Mara and Seducer set don't expect much damage. Try using Aether+Willow path+soulshine for high dps.
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can ppl stop calling for nerfs the only hard content is sanctum and vet dsa. ive been trying these for a while and failing do i want them nerfed no. I like the chalenge veteran dungeons are no problem if you go with a good co ordinated group.
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    Aldruin wrote: »
    With Mara and Seducer set don't expect much damage. Try using Aether+Willow path+soulshine for high dps.

Well, the only thing I can get my hand on is the Willow Set.

Aether... no chance. Never got a chance to finish whatever there is to finish to get that stuff...
    Soulshine - only found once a VR4 heavy plate chest piece. And at the AH they demand insanse prices.

My bad, I guess...
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What AoE skills are you using? Impulse should be sufficient. I use Blazing Spear as a Templar Healer (i.e. built for magicka sustain, not damage) and I can clear out spider mobs by myself within seconds.

If you're doing no damage to trash adds something is really wrong.

EDIT: You speak of the Sorc line so I assume you're using Lightning Splash. My advice: don't. Lightning Splash is terrible and is only worth it if the synergy is used, which is difficult.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on November 30, 2014 5:21PM
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    I use Frost Impulse / Elemental Ring (because it also snares) and also Liquid Lightning and "Instable Frost Wall" and Daedric Mines. I even tried the Warrior Guild Ultimate.
    Adds were more or less immune.

Only saw their health bars drop, when we used single target nukes :-(
    The only AoE that worked a bit was Absorbtion Field. I also tried to root them with Restraining. But that worked more bad than good.

But taking out adds one by one, when they are all over the place and not really allow any herding.

I am also missing some severe aggro control in this game.
    Edited by Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO on November 30, 2014 5:25PM
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of trying to be flashy and use a whole bunch of different AoEs, just spam impulse over and over and over until everything dies. If that doesn't work then something's wrong.

EDIT: Damage from the Destro staff is based off weapon damage. Try using Critical Surge, weapon damage glyphs, etc. and use Inner Light and sets to boost your spell crit.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on November 30, 2014 5:26PM
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    Thing is, what to do when none of those AoEs does dmg...
    They seem to be immune to AoE dmg. They even resisted Flawless Dawnbreaker :;-(

Also, what bugs me - very often we have two or three webbed players at once.
    And that's game over...
    Edited by Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO on November 30, 2014 5:35PM
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, what to do when none of those AoEs does dmg...
    They seem to be immune to AoE dmg. They even resisted Flawless Dawnbreaker :;-(

Also, what bugs me - very often we have two or three webbed players at once.
    And that's game over...

I'm getting increasingly skeptical here. The only way you can get more than one webbed player at once is if you don't free webbed people, she only ever webs one person at a time. And the mobs most certainly are not immune to AoE damage.

I'm starting to think you're pulling my leg.
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    Nope, I wish I was just pulling a leg.
    Because then there would not have been any cause for frustration.

Nope. I thought it's part of the strategy. That, the longer you hold out, the more often she webs more than one. Others said that is not normal, and since last patch like this.

You cannot leave people webbed for too long, then they die anyway... adds also swarm on webbed, toons. So it cannot have been us being too slow with freeing webbed player.
    So I wonder... seriously :-(
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldruin wrote: »
    My build as a Sorc:
    Magicka 25
    Health 35
    Stamina 2

Please do not give advice when you do not know what you are talking about.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're on NA, I'd be happy to jump in a CoH group with you. I need to see for myself to know what's going on at this point.

If what you're saying is true, your experience definitely isn't that of a "normal" player. It's much much lower, really. Even the worst groups I've been in never get to three webbed people at once, and I've never seen anyone with damage so low adds are practically immune.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on November 30, 2014 5:51PM
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    I am on the european server.
    And I also send bug reports.
    Seriously. Storm Atronarchs are not immune to lightning. But some "adds" from a boss mob only taking single target nukes for dmg...

And when I hear then that other people claim how easy VR pledges are... I pretty much feel my leg being pulled :-(

EDIT:
    Not to forget, that I also said that only some of them are insane and others are doable.
    So, either this is the new challenge... or I am just not lucky and end up with bugged boss mobs. But that happens pretty often, that one or two "middle bosses" are insane, while the rest is doable.
    Edited by Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO on November 30, 2014 5:54PM
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if you could make a video or something to show what's going on we may be able to help you more. Like I said even the worst players I've seen aren't as terrible as you're describing, so if you aren't exaggerating then... well.
  • Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    Next time I get in CoH, I'll do a video of the spider daedra fight.
    Maybe then I am lucky, that then all works just to prove me wrong...
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I wish I was just pulling a leg.
    Because then there would not have been any cause for frustration.

Nope. I thought it's part of the strategy. That, the longer you hold out, the more often she webs more than one. Others said that is not normal, and since last patch like this.

You cannot leave people webbed for too long, then they die anyway... adds also swarm on webbed, toons. So it cannot have been us being too slow with freeing webbed player.
    So I wonder... seriously :-(

Judging by your comments, if I had to guess, I'd say that you are probably the anti-teamspeak type of player. However, I'll say it anyway. Teamspeak makes that particular fight 100% easier. With Teamspeak you get notified instantly when someone is webbed insteaad of having to look for it.

Also, you need a healer that is aware enough not to run out of healing range when kiting the circle.
    Edited by timidobserver on November 30, 2014 6:22PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Rhian-Skybladeb16_ESO
    That maybe. I usually use TS for raids (well used in other MMORPGs).

I have no idea how it is on NA servers. Here on the european servers it's pretty hard to find a group. Even within the guilds. So it's PuGs. And most of them don't use TS. If you sort them out, you don't get a group at all *sigh*

Should have gone to NA server...friend told me there's more going on and less issues with bugs.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    After the last nerf, I think it is just right.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS if you are here there are basically 2 common problems that the avg player is having here.
    • Broken mechanics like unblockable bosses
    • Boss timers

Since 1.5 came out those are the two most common complaints. Fix that and I think you find most people will be happy with these dungeons.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK