Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skimpy armors

• badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    TicToc wrote: »
    badmojo wrote: »

Also, if female toons could only be played by women, I'm betting a lot of women would probably play as male characters because playing as a female would attract a lot of unwanted attention.

That's not true. I have seen a couple of woman say that on forums a long time ago. Since then there have been a lot of males repeating it as if were true for everyone, perpetuating the myth. However, every woman that I have ever met in an online game played female characters. It is easy enough for them to ignore the idiots.

A lot of woman take pride in the fact that they are gamers and are offended by the idea, that many people have, that woman don't play computer games.

Except in my post I said "If female toons could only be played by women". If all doubt was completely removed, I'm sure the *** out there would harass females more, like they often do in real life.

It's probably not such an issue in a game like this without voice chat. But, I've seen plenty of complaints about it in other online games from females.
    [DC/NA]
  • NakedSnake
    NakedSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Everyone needs to feel nice about themselves. That can be accomplished without basically showing all your assets.
    Talk about deep rooted issues.
    It is not your place to decide how someone should express how they feel about themselves. If you truly believe what you are posting and not just spouting off clichés for the sake of argument you would have voted yes.
    Give us the options and we will combine them as we see fit. if one person wants to be conservative one day and revealing the next that is their prerogative.
    This out cry against more customization is no different than all those nerf threads that are really just about one persons opinion superseding another's.
    Edited by NakedSnake on May 26, 2014 9:48AM
    "Brilliant! Why is it that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the ones who are most certain of them?"
  • Brim
    Brim
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Aeradon wrote: »
    You mean to tell me there's nobody in the real world that puts on skimpy dresses?

There sure are people that put on skimpy dresses in the real world. And if they get attacked with swords and stuff, they die.
    Edited by Brim on May 26, 2014 9:48AM
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    I vote neither yes or no. I simply want more options when it comes to clothing. (even within racial styles)
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on May 26, 2014 9:51AM
  • Brim
    Brim
    Soul Shriven
    No
    So many people have completely missed many of the insightful points made in this thread. It's pretty sad.

Also, why am I still awake?!?
    Edited by Brim on May 26, 2014 9:52AM
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Don't look at it! You might have deep rooted issues if you enjoy it!

lol

If this sexually arouses you, then you may want to make an appointment with your local psychologist/therapist because yes...there are issues.

I just think it's hilarious how you assume to know peoples mental state based on them wanting a more revealing wardrobe in this game.

No, it doesn't sexually arose me, but it is a lot easier to look at than the leather knight look we have going on now.
    [DC/NA]
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    You mean to tell me there's nobody in the real world that puts on skimpy dresses?

There sure are people that put on skimpy dresses in the real world. And if they get attacked with swords and stuff, they die.

How is a cloth dress going to protect you? They're made of jute, not kevlar.
    [DC/NA]
  • Brim
    Brim
    Soul Shriven
    No

How is a cloth dress going to protect you? They're made of jute, not kevlar.

That's why it's useful to wear plate armor, which (btw) offers more protection than the light armor. Idk if you know.
  • Vorkk8383
    Vorkk8383
    ✭✭✭
    No

lol

If this sexually arouses you, then you may want to make an appointment with your local psychologist/therapist because yes...there are issues.

I just think it's hilarious how you assume to know peoples mental state based on them wanting a more revealing wardrobe in this game.

No, it doesn't sexually arose me, but it is a lot easier to look at than the leather knight look we have going on now.

Well if it doesn't sexually arouse you, you're likely fine. Just immature. And how else but with words and actions do you know people's mental state?

If you feel the need to see a ton of skin on Pixels, imaginary characters, yes, I do think you have issues. It leaves me wondering how you interact with the gender(s) that sexually attract you in real life. If you're able to carry on relationships. When you NEED to see skin on pixels so badly, there's likely something missing in your life. If you need to play an MMO and wear skanky clothing, going around flirting with others or being provocative, yes, there are likely real life issues. The list goes on and on.

It's not about wanting different types of armor that look better or even show skin. It's about how much skin some of you want to see or the obsession with it or even admitting that it makes you feel good to see it or to enact it.
    Edited by Vorkk8383 on May 26, 2014 10:03AM
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

lol

Well if it doesn't sexually arouse you, you're likely fine. Just immature. And how else but with words and actions do you know people's mental state?

If you feel the need to see a ton of skin on Pixels, imaginary characters, yes, I do think you have issues. It leaves me wondering how you interact with the gender(s) that sexually attract you in real life. If you're able to carry on relationships. When you NEED to see skin on pixels so badly, there's likely something missing in your life. If you need to play an MMO and wear skanky clothing, going around flirting with others or being provocative, yes, there are likely real life issues. The list goes on and on.

It's not about wanting different types of armor that look better or even show skin. It's about how much skin some of you want to see or the obsession with it or even admitting that it makes you feel good to see it or to enact it.

Wow, are you for real? You're jumping to so many conclusions it's hard to read it without laughing.

You're SOO right, internet forums are the best place to gauge someones mental state.
    Edited by badmojo on May 26, 2014 10:07AM
    [DC/NA]
  • Vorkk8383
    Vorkk8383
    ✭✭✭
    No

lol

Wow, are you for real? You're jumping to so many conclusions it's hard to read it without laughing.

You're SOO right, internet forums are the best place to gauge someones mental state.

I see that you edited the part where you called me crazy...because that would be judging my mental state and a bit of an issue with your statement ;p

But I'm done with you also. This is going nowhere. I'll let you stay happy with the idea that it's healthy to want to see a lot of skin on pixels.. I'm personally pretty happy with real humans.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

lol

I see that you edited the part where you called me crazy...because that would be judging my mental state and a bit of an issue with your statement ;p

But I'm done with you also. This is going nowhere. I'll let you stay happy with the idea that it's healthy to want to see a lot of skin on pixels.. I'm personally pretty happy with real humans.

Yeah, I was going to call you crazy, but then I thought better of it, there's probably some rule about saying stuff like that. It had nothing to do with the statement, in fact it was supposed to follow it up, exaggerating the irony of it, but I felt like the statement was enough on its own.

My feeling is that you might have some deep rooted issues yourself, about digital avatars versus real humans. Since you constantly try to steer the discussion in that direction, despite me never even commenting on it.

You see some people asking for "skimpy" clothing and instantly write us off as horny guys. Weather that is accurate or not doesn't seem to matter at all to you, you'll just keep telling us how messed up we are inside.

Constantly bringing up people vs avatars just shows how far off the mark you are on this debate. People don't want skimpy clothing to *** to, that's just messed up. Your failure to grasp that concept makes it extremely difficult to even debate the topic of skimpy clothing with you.

It's like talking to someone about gun control when they automatically link gun owners to gun murderers.
    [DC/NA]
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I want bigger boots. Some feel like socks.
  • Vorkk8383
    Vorkk8383
    ✭✭✭
    No

lol

Yeah, I was going to call you crazy, but then I thought better of it, there's probably some rule about saying stuff like that. It had nothing to do with the statement, in fact it was supposed to follow it up, exaggerating the irony of it, but I felt like the statement was enough on its own.

My feeling is that you might have some deep rooted issues yourself, about digital avatars versus real humans. Since you constantly try to steer the discussion in that direction, despite me never even commenting on it.

You see some people asking for "skimpy" clothing and instantly write us off as horny guys. Weather that is accurate or not doesn't seem to matter at all to you, you'll just keep telling us how messed up we are inside.

Constantly bringing up people vs avatars just shows how far off the mark you are on this debate. People don't want skimpy clothing to *** to, that's just messed up. Your failure to grasp that concept makes it extremely difficult to even debate the topic of skimpy clothing with you.

It's like talking to someone about gun control when they automatically link gun owners to gun murderers.

Nice save with the crazy thing. It wasn't said as irony but whatever you say.

I'm not sure how I have issues about avatars vs humans. I think I've made the distinction and showed that humans are more important. They are real. For you to try to mock someone defending that ideology, it does show a layer of thinking that isn't very mature or thought out.

Some people will actually *** to this. Others find it pleasing and somewhat arousing but will not *** to it. Others don't even know it but they like it because it shows a servitude aspect. There obviously are a ton of reasons. Most people wanting some skimpy clothing are males. There has to be a reason why it's mostly males who want this. Why aren't most females totally happy about the idea or OK with new armor but wouldn't want this to be some kind of peep show?

I love when you say ''write us off as horny guys''. It's so telling. Men are the ones who are mainly pushing for this. If you want it so badly, start a thread with ''I want skanky clothes for male chars''. It seems important to you so go for it. I won't even post there to stop you! Wear your assless chaps with pride!

[Moderator Note: Edited post to remove duplicate quotes
    Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on May 26, 2014 12:17PM
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Except in my post I said "If female toons could only be played by women". If all doubt was completely removed, I'm sure the *** out there would harass females more, like they often do in real life.

It's probably not such an issue in a game like this without voice chat. But, I've seen plenty of complaints about it in other online games from females.

Well, voice chat is how I knew they were women. Granted, we use teamspeak in ESO so it is mostly guildies, though some randoms get invited when we run PvP. Other games, like EQ2, have build in voice chat. I'm sure that they have issues, but so far i have not met one woman that has actually resorted to playing a male character. I think it is easier when they can insulate themselves within a guild.

I know that it would never happen, but in a scenario where only women could play female characters, i agree, that may change things a bit, but i think many would still play female characters, though they would probably stick very closely to guild friends to avoid said ***. :)
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    Yes
    Mablung wrote: »
    Yes indeed, you'd have some serious issues there being a perfectly normal human being.

Video games at its core is just art. Humans enjoy looking at art. If that art happen to be a scantily clad woman... Well some people enjoy that too, strange enough.

Hell, even Mona Lisa shows some skin and got that devious smile, everyone looking at her and think its a good painting must have some serious issues.
  • Vorkk8383
    Vorkk8383
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Mablung wrote: »
    Yes indeed, you'd have some serious issues there being a perfectly normal human being.

Video games at its core is just art. Humans enjoy looking at art. If that art happen to be a scantily clad woman... Well some people enjoy that too, strange enough.

Hell, even Mona Lisa shows some skin and got that devious smile, everyone looking at her and think its a good painting must have some serious issues.

Yes. We enjoy art. However if you make TESO your place to go to get your rocks off, there's issues. It's not the first place where most people will go.

Also, it's an MMO. It's not meant to be used for that. If it were, it would be an erotic video game. Go play leasure suit Larry or whatever it was called. They had a remake recently as per what I saw on steam. So yes, art being erotic, yes. Asking for characters in an MMO to be scantily dressed so you can get turned on by it...odd!
  • NakedSnake
    NakedSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Its funny how so many naysayer's are jumping from a request for TESO's "conservative" attire style as quoted by another poster, to be expanded upon with some less conservative additions to mean "naked" or "skanky" *** material.

Im starting to think the problem that people are having with this concept comes from an internal issue with their own sexual identity. Having a problem with seeing bare stomachs or cleavage or even god forbid a butt crease is definitely a sign of some deep, deeeep psychological issues.

For those arguing about lore or functionality, you make a valid argument however again I would like to point out that being a "fighter" does not equate being a militant and therefore does not necessitate the use of "armor".
    Don't get hung up on the word armor in the title. What we really want is style options, whether through disguise or gear it makes no difference. It must simply be customizable and drastically diverse.
    "Brilliant! Why is it that the people with the most ridiculous ideas are always the ones who are most certain of them?"
  • Preachan
    Preachan
    ✭✭✭
    No
    But it's not just your choice of style... It is limiting the fun for female Gamers who enjoy this Game for not objectifying the female body. Many of us are tired of having to look at near naked female bodies everywhere we go. Being judged for our bodies and clothes.
    Having Games where we can escape this and just have fun without sexist designchoices are rare enough.

• TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Preachan wrote: »
    But it's not just your choice of style... It is limiting the fun for female Gamers who enjoy this Game for not objectifying the female body. Many of us are tired of having to look at near naked female bodies everywhere we go. Being judged for our bodies and clothes.
    Having Games where we can escape this and just have fun without sexist designchoices are rare enough.

So don't look at them. If you want to sit their an dwell on what they are wearing, that is your doing. How someone else dresses should not affect you, especially if it is an animated character on a computer screen. The characters aren't judging you. Sexy, is not sexist. Those are completely different things. Provided that the designs are tasteful, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

• NakedSnake
    NakedSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

So basically I should look the way you want me to and I should care about what makes you happy while you disregard my choice of play style.
    Are you one of those people who criticizes breast feeding mothers in public places because you cant stand to look at them.
    You feel objectified because my video game character might be showing some cleavage or a little too much leg? "Your "tired of having to look at them" Of course you have no problem with men being objectified in the same way since everything must be about you. Not tired of looking at pecs and biceps though are you? Get over yourself.

All of this is moot anyway since each individuals choice of fashion has nothing to do with anyone else whether its in the real world or not. Unless the material they introduce is pornographic in nature you have nothing to argue about and should look inward to figure out what your true issue is.

Style choice has nothing to do with Men or women and everything to do with options.
    Edited by NakedSnake on May 26, 2014 12:36PM
  • Preachan
    Preachan
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If it's all about you wanting sexy no matter if it's ruining others immersion, I see no problem valuing my immersion higher than your need for revealing clothes on your char.

And sure, that is just a matter of opinion. ;)
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Rudal wrote: »
    I never understood why people want ARMOUR that barely cover anything?
    It's useless in combat!

Roman gladiators disagree with you
    Kelts disagree with you
    African tribal warriors disagree with you
    American indians both north and south disagree with you
    Vikings disagree with you
    Maori disagree with you
    Chinese martial artists disagree with you
    Japanese ninjas disagree with you

And sure theres plenty more where those came from, just at the top of my head.

And none of those i used because ive seen them in dah mofies. Its because i know they never wore full armor, heck some even where completely nude. Now you could say it didnt help them much because they got overrun or killed at some point in history, doesnt make them any less effective in combat. Some are even known for their combat.

Edited by Bhakura on May 26, 2014 2:16PM
  • NakedSnake
    NakedSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If it's all about you wanting sexy no matter if it's ruining others immersion, I see no problem valuing my immersion higher than your need for revealing clothes on your char.

And sure, that is just a matter of opinion. ;)

That's the whole point. You are the one making the determination that 1) All we want is sexy. 2) It will ruin your immersion. Don't you see that it is in fact your presumptions that are giving you a false expectation of how others and by extension how you see yourself.

Sexual objectification

The truth is you are simply threatened by the femininity of others, demonstrated by your singular focus on the female aspect of this thread which has nothing to do with objectifying women or men for that matter. You and others brought that to the table bandwagoning infinitum.
    Claiming that your immersion has anything to do with it is pointless because the lore supports everything that's is being requested. Adding "Skimpy" armor, less bulky armor, more revealing armor only adds to the game as long as it remains within the confines of the genre.
    Having a battle harness or some Sai Sahan armor to show off my characters full body burn breaks your immersion? Don't be ridiculous.
    Edited by NakedSnake on May 26, 2014 2:56PM
  • ZeroInspiration
    ZeroInspiration
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I don't say yes or no, But I don't understand the necessity of looking at a half dressed virtual women. I'm a male and I have never liked skimpy or very revealing armors in games unless it makes sense (Lara Croft's outfit makes sense for her job for example).

I don't even know why some guys say that they don't like playing male characters because they don't like looking at a guys butt. That is ridiculous and is probably tied to need to validate their sexual identity somehow because of self esteem issues. I for one always play male characters because it's more immersive, I feel like I'm the hero.

But I dunno, maybe it's cultural. Here in the Caribbean all I have to do is walk out the door to see women revealing some skin.
  • Naguur86
    Naguur86
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Bhakura wrote: »
    Roman gladiators disagree with you
    Kelts disagree with you
    African tribal warriors disagree with you
    American indians both north and south disagree with you
    Vikings disagree with you
    Maori disagree with you
    Chinese martial artists disagree with you
    Japanese ninjas disagree with you

And sure theres plenty more where those came from, just at the top of my head.

These examples are legit but all those people had certain reaons to dress like that in combat. May it be religious or traditional reasons or just the fact that the armor style is based on the combat style. Since this is fantasy there comen the dothrakhi in my mind who wear no protective armor at all as far as I remember and they do it because in their opinion one who wears heavy plate armor is just a coward. Also their style of fighting matches this.

I am not that educated in the lore of ES but I think the races that are currrently in game and I think thats most of them are nit fitting in one of those categories. All of the races are using the traditional full armor style. So there would have to be established a race or a group of fighters who arw using combat style that doesn't need full protection or who are resoning the lack of armor in another way.

I do agree however that there should be more variety and skin in light armor since this does not offer any protection and people wearing light armor have other ways of protecting or to avoid beeing hit at all.
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I never understood why people want ARMOUR that barely cover anything? It's useless in combat!
    Because I want to play a Monk archetype who goes into battle with nothing but his body, mind, and spirit in perfect harmony.

In Elder Scrolls games, this means Hand-to-Hand combat for offense and defense, along with light, non-restrictive clothing. And liberal use of Magicka to fill in the gaps.

We don't have a Hand-to-Hand skill line yet (here's hoping), so I'm making do with Ambush, Surpise Attack, and Impale (Nightblade skills with energy blade animations coming out of your fists).

However, we DO have a Light Armor skill line. It would be nice to run with simple breeches, a sleeveless tunic, and sandals (a barefoot look would be even more amazing).

That's my 2 septims. ;)
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I never understood why people want ARMOUR that barely cover anything? It's useless in combat!
    Because I want to play a Monk archetype who goes into battle with nothing but his body, mind, and spirit in perfect harmony.

In Elder Scrolls games, this means Hand-to-Hand combat for offense and defense, along with light, non-restrictive clothing. And liberal use of Magicka to fill in the gaps.

We don't have a Hand-to-Hand skill line yet (here's hoping), so I'm making do with Ambush, Surpise Attack, and Impale (Nightblade skills with energy blade animations coming out of your fists).

However, we DO have a Light Armor skill line. It would be nice to run with simple breeches, a sleeveless tunic, and sandals (a barefoot look would be even more amazing).

That's my 2 septims. ;)

Wow. You refuse to put on weapons and pick NB as your class? I salute you sir. You are my idol.

Imma try it now with alt DK. LOLOLOL. Then see if my NB main can do VR without weapons.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • NakedSnake
    NakedSnake
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    That would be really cool if it were possible.

I see the look your going for 20110724070854!Ryu.jpg
    I had a similar idea for a gi using a skimpy version of the soul shriven gear ( whithout sleeves) plus a recolor whenever that gets added.
    Just need to be able to upgrade the levels and quality.
    TutorialJournal.png
    Edited by NakedSnake on May 26, 2014 4:46PM
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Wow. You refuse to put on weapons and pick NB as your class? I salute you sir. You are my idol.

Imma try it now with alt DK. LOLOLOL. Then see if my NB main can do VR without weapons.

Actually, not to nitpick or anything, my NB is doing vr without weapons :) its all magic.
    VR7 now and still roflstomping through content solo.

This discussion has been closed.