Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I don't fully loot the chest in ESO.

• Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just loot everything and let the vendor sort them out.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cirocruz wrote: »
    Chests, runestone nodes... I got used to [snip] players half-looting that

But now they are doing it to psijic portals... [snip]

They've been doing it to portals for a long time now. It's one reason I no longer do the pysjic questline. The portals were supposed to contain 'special loot', but this loot has been nerfed down to just 'amber' now.

So now players just farm for the amber and leave the non-special loot behind.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 September 2024 16:36
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • Etherea1
    Etherea1
    ✭✭
    Why should one care about chest farmers? Missed this one find another. For casual players occasionally found a chest their spawn time just about right.
  • Thysbe
    Thysbe
    ✭✭✭
    I loot everything in cosideration of the next player but that trait is getting rare
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I loot everything too. If nothing else, almost all garbage is worth SOMETHING to some degree.
    Sad to see that selfishness has taken over the community more. Used to be a time where everyone largely agreed to take everything, barring a few exceptions.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Thoriorz
    Thoriorz
    ✭✭
    I always open every chest and loot everything. I have around 30 items with me permanently and the rest of the space is for loot. Once I'm full I open the deconstruct assistant, deconstruct purple items and all jewelers, then open the merchant assistant and sell the rest, if I happen to have something I want to keep/sell I drop it in the bank through the bank assistant. But the truth is that without assistants I wouldn't enjoy running to town every time, for me the inventory fills up pretty fast (I loot everything I can). So if I didn't have assistants, I would probably only take what is useful to me from the chests.
    Luckily I have them so I loot everything. :smile:
  • Julia_Nix
    Julia_Nix
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I see a half looted chest I wish that the person who did it would step in a puddle of water with their socks on.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just time in the games life to give everyone access to the "Craft Bag" by default or sell it for Crowns in the Crown Store.
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    MJallday wrote: »
    daim wrote: »
    It's a lot simpler when you autoloot all the stuff and clean up your inventory before you log off, takes matter of seconds.

Unless you don't have addons of course. I don't get it how people can play without them :smiley:

It’s called console and we do :(

Not just console players, some of us PC players don't feel the need for addons. I haven't used one in 10 years.

Same here, I just don't see a need for them. Also been playing for 10 yrs. Haven't used one yet and don't plan on it 🙂
  • Aggrovious
    Aggrovious
    ✭✭✭
    I love the ragpicker so much, but man I hate the daily log in/bound item clutter
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have auto-loot on so I automatically take everything the moment I open stuff up. But, I don't care if others don't. Not every player has Plus or Assistants. And I don't have the expectation that a complete stranger will trash value things on the off chance that I might stumble upon it for the few minutes it's available. Besides, all of it is free stuff I wouldn't have had. Yeah it sucks it wasn't a whole chest.

But, I don't expect complete strangers to destroy their valuables for me.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 5 September 2024 20:50
  • Razmirra
    Razmirra
    Soul Shriven
    I loot it all because of 1) ESO+ and 2) I just decon the gear I don't need for materials and sell anything else, hence adding to the choir of those who find half-emptied resource nodes or chests rather irritating.
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julia_Nix wrote: »
    Every time I see a half looted chest I wish that the person who did it would step in a puddle of water with their socks on.

I always hope they step on a bunch of lego with bare feet.
    I'm getting really tired of looting a chest or thieves trove where some inconsiderate person has just left a lockpick or stam draft behind. Please have the decency to take everything so the chest or trove can respawn for the next person. If you don't want the stuff you can just delete it. Its not hard.
    EU / NA / PC
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wasn’t some testing done on this in the past, and it was shown that once opened, and treasure chest would despawn after a certain point even if not empty? It won’t just stay there forever.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    Wasn’t some testing done on this in the past, and it was shown that once opened, and treasure chest would despawn after a certain point even if not empty? It won’t just stay there forever.

Yes, there have been many posts over the years where players have validated that. Also, there have been many posts over the years where others have vilified their validations.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disclaimer: I have ESO+ and autoloot on.

I follow grandfathers rule = "Waste not, want not" ie all loot has some value and many small brooks flow to the river which then flows into the sea.

So I harvest/kill/loot all that comes in my way, but don't diverge from my current path and mosdef ignore everything if I'm in a hurry.

Ergo, no problems with half digested loot here.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Pevey wrote: »

Yes, there have been many posts over the years where players have validated that. Also, there have been many posts over the years where others have vilified their validations.

Do you farm chests? For example, every chest location from one side of Deshaan to the other.

REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do occasionally when looking for paintings. I like pretty pictures.

Opened chests are pretty rare and have never bothered me. You can see from a ways off that it has no lock. If you want to skip over it, you can just go on to the next spot. I always loot them because people sometimes leave weird things.

One opened chest I found I still remember had only one thing: a Deadlands treasure map. This was soon after that DLC dropped, so it was very valuable. I can only guess it’s because they had one in inventory and maybe one in bank, and they don’t stack. Anyway, I digress…

People have their own reasons for looting everything or not. I don’t feel like they should change the way they play to suit me. It’s such a small thing.
    Edited by Pevey on 6 September 2024 02:13
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have run into opened chests less than 10 times over the 10 years, not counting then i see the chest getting opened. So rare.

Uses loot all myself as just clicking on dead mobs saves time
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing against the OP, if you don't have space, you don't have space...

...that said, nothing annoys the hell out me more than finding a chest that's been looted of everything but a single trait stone.
  • DoofusMax
    DoofusMax
    ✭✭✭
    Partially-looted chests/containers and nodes aren't game-breakers, but they strike me as the MMO equivalent of leaving your trash for someone else to pick up.
    I'm fresh out of outrage, but I could muster up some amused annoyance if required.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoofusMax wrote: »
    Partially-looted chests/containers and nodes aren't game-breakers, but they strike me as the MMO equivalent of leaving your trash for someone else to pick up.

I actually used to feel that way - and sometimes when all I get is worms from an Ancestor Silk node, I grit my teeth. But for the most part, partially looted nodes/chests are fine with me (nodes especially) because mostly what gets left from nodes is furniture crafting mats, and chests is usually something I eventually can use.

*shrug* S'all good. Because I REALLY appreciate silly players leaving the furniture mats, so I'm okay with partial chests too!

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should make a companion that loses rapport when you don't fully loot a chest.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should loot everything.
    Give us clannfear mounts!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s bad when you are farming for paintings in the chests in the new zone because you don’t want to spend a lot of gold buying them off traders. You have to open a lot of chests to get anything and that is one less chest from which you can possibly get one.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing that surprises me more than people who don't full loot (those don't surprise me really lol) are people who do lost their connection with the reality so greatly to see it in such a massively negative way to wish people's health damaged etc. over it. Players can be new, have no space with their not upgraded inventory, can just be booted from server in-between looting the chest, literally anything can be the reason or the lack of reason and you can have no idea ever about it. Just loot after them or don't, it's not an actual issue to be so heated over.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn't though. Because trash has no use and causes active harm to the environment. Everything in a chest has at least a small amount of value, causes no harm, and doesn't change that the chest will respawn.

People are angry because they are disappointed that the chest wasn't better. That's not the same thing as littering at all, which is actively dangerous to animals and plants. People who leave things behind do so for a variety of reasons and that doesn't make them bad people or deserving of even minor harm.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 6 September 2024 20:15
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's more about the general excuse of: 'I don't have time'
    Sure. But my time ends up being wasted instead.

But, the practice apparently has plenty of support here in this discussion.

So, just another area of the game that I'm disengaging with now.

REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • DoofusMax
    DoofusMax
    ✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »
    I think it's more about the general excuse of: 'I don't have time'
    Sure. But my time ends up being wasted instead.

But, the practice apparently has plenty of support here in this discussion.

So, just another area of the game that I'm disengaging with now.

I'm not going to disengage because I'll still refine, decon for mats, go fishing, or do whatever with what got left. But I will continue to think poorly of players who engage in the practice. I'll at least be somewhat content in the knowledge that the next player to come along is going to get a fresh node/chest (even if I didn't), but occasional "I'm not your maid" comments will continue to be muttered.
    I'm fresh out of outrage, but I could muster up some amused annoyance if required.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned, people who open chests and leave what they don't want (i.e. 'trash') are simply selfish. It takes a few seconds to pick up everything and destroy 'the trash' that you don't want to keep.

I guess these are the same people who leave insects behind when they harvest alchemy nodes.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.