Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I don't fully loot the chest in ESO.

• cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I clean the chests and do not leave any trash for other people to clean after me. But that is just my approach because I personally find it irritating to make a detour for a chest only to find it containing someone's leftovers.

Yes, when you don't take the loot, you deprive everyone after you of the chest.
    But hey, as long as you're OK, why not? It's not like you can just drop the stuff you don't need and give someone else a chance after all.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyberjanet wrote: »
    I clean the chests and do not leave any trash for other people to clean after me. But that is just my approach because I personally find it irritating to make a detour for a chest only to find it containing someone's leftovers.

But hey, as long as you're OK, why not? It's not like you can just drop the stuff you don't need and give someone else a chance after all.

That is not correct. The chest will respawn regardless if it is fully looted.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etherea1 wrote: »
    Why should one care about chest farmers? Missed this one find another. For casual players occasionally found a chest their spawn time just about right.

Mostly that's true, but there are, for example, certain style materials that you essentially can't get in any sensible way except by farming chests.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

This old chestnut... I am still waiting to see the documentary evidence. A moot point, anyway. Before any reset may take place, several players will find the chest and take the contents within the time that is often quoted, of ten minutes.

The XP is part of the loot. At certain points, players may harvest in excess of 10K XP when opening a chest with a pick.
    A previously opened chest give no XP at all.

I don't think anything will ever change with either chests or the associated player behaviour.
    Not even this unending defence of this poor practice.

REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inventory management is a big part of games like ESO, and if someone's gonna play these types of games, then they should learn how to manage their inventory.

I loot everything from every object that I search. And I don't leave trash laying around for other people to deal with it.

(1) Leaving a crafting node partially looted will make it take longer to respawn because it first has to despawn. I've tested this with metal nodes: If fully looted then the normal respawn time is exactly 2 minutes, but if partially looted then it takes 5 minutes for it to despawn and then another 2 minutes after that for it to respawn. And I'm assuming treasure chests and heavy sacks also work the same way.

(2) Leaving nodes partially looted also wastes other people's time because they don't know that it's been partially looted before they stop to loot it.

Proof that nodes take longer to respawn if not fully looted:
    Edited by N00BxV1 on 8 September 2024 03:35
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It does automatically respawn, but it take longer to do so...

Leaving a crafting node partially looted will make it take longer to respawn because it first has to despawn. I've tested this with metal nodes: If fully looted then the normal respawn time is exactly 2 minutes, but if partially looted then it takes 5 minutes for it to despawn and then another 2 minutes after that for it to respawn.

And I'm assuming treasure chests and heavy sacks also work the same way.

Edited by N00BxV1 on 8 September 2024 03:36
  • smallhammer
    smallhammer
    ✭✭
    The loot in the chests are a joke. The loot, of course, should not only yield better quality items, but amount of gold too, the more advanced the lockes are to pick.

Having said that; the loot in chests, and almost everything, is ridiculous. It's the same things over and over. Lazy!
    Edited by smallhammer on 7 September 2024 23:30
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is proof of a metal node's normal respawn time, and the extended respawn time if it's only partially looted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81HU7nFNLvc

I'm not about to sit around and test other nodes, treasure chests and heavy sacks. But I assume they all have similar respawn mechanics.

Edited by N00BxV1 on 8 September 2024 03:36
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only object is a duplicate treasure map, in cyrodil / IC When you can't summon a banker.
    Although in normal overland I've been stood at a chest with my banker and had the chest contents looted
    Edited by The_Boggart on 8 September 2024 05:02
  • ShadowPaladin
    ShadowPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭
    N00BxV1 wrote: »
    Here is proof of a metal node's normal respawn time, and the extended respawn time if it's only partially looted:

I'm not about to sit around and test other nodes, treasure chests and heavy sacks. But I assume they all have similar respawn mechanics.

I can verify that what you have tested is the same for world treasure chests. If you loot them completely a new chest will spawn at one of the chest locations within a few min. If you do not loot it completely, it will take quite some time until it despawns and the normal spawn timer kicks in.

To all others...

The best solution for this whole *why I don't loot nodes and chests completely* and *you should loot them* discussion is that the devs code a *FORCED* auto-loot for those two things (nodes & chests), which the player can not turn off. With that all players would always loot nodes and chests completely :wink: !
    Edited by ShadowPaladin on 8 September 2024 13:35
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N00BxV1 wrote: »

I can verify that what you have tested is the same for world treasure chests. If you loot them completely a new chest will spawn at one of the chest locations within a few min. If you do not loot it completely, it will take quite some time until it despawns and the normal spawn timer kicks in.

To all others...

The best solution for this whole *why I don't loot nodes and chests completely* and *you should loot them* discussion is that the devs code a *FORCED* auto-loot for those two things (nodes & chests), which the player can not turn off. With that all players would always loot nodes and chests completely :wink: !

Thanks. I figured the other crafting nodes, treasure chests, heavy sacks etc. all had the same respawn mechanic but I wasn't about to wait around trying to test them. The metal crafting nodes have short respawn timers, and they always respawn at the same node, so it wasn't a problem to test those.

I think an even better solution would be to make the crafting nodes, treasure chests, heavy sacks etc. despawn automatically if the person that initially opened it moved a certain distance away from the node. That way if someone wasn't able to loot the node because their inventory was full and they had to sell/bank/destroy some items, then the node would still be there until they moved away from it. And if someone just neglected to fully loot the node then it would despawn when they moved away from it without the node having to wait out the despawn/respawn timers.

Edited by N00BxV1 on 8 September 2024 16:10
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just don’t understand the logic “I don’t have time to clear my inventory” so I rely on others to do it for me.

You have the time to partially loot chests? It’s a jerk move for many reasons. Clear the chest.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Redguards_Revenge
    I don't get it ...
    You see free stuff lying around and
    walk away? 🤦‍♂️

Are you sure you are playing the right kind of game for you? 😉

I always ask myself, what would Sharp do?
  • joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First treasure maps would have to become non-unique and stackable and in addition the character inventory would need to have infinite room.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The loot in the chests are a joke. The loot, of course, should not only yield better quality items, but amount of gold too, the more advanced the lockes are to pick.

Having said that; the loot in chests, and almost everything, is ridiculous. It's the same things over and over. Lazy!

Huh? I've made really good money from selling items found in chests. Some of the paintings sell for quite the pretty penny, and overland set pieces to decon for style materials are always nice.
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the small cost of leaving behind a few near worthless items, this man has farmed oceans of tears and mountains of salt.
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've tested this extensively over the years and it's false. Chests do not respawn if there is one open with even 1 piece of loot.

I've tested this a looot in the Forgotten Crypts. Leave a chest open with something inside still, like Palladium. When you go to all other chest spawns you will find none have respawned. When you go back to that chest and fully loot it, then the chest will respawn in the area.

As long as that chest, or "entity" is still in the same spot, it will not direct the game to respawn it until the chest itself is despawned through time, or forced to do so via fully looting.

I've farmed a lot of Forgotten Crypts when Mother's Sorrow was BiS, and this has always been true. You must fully loot the chest in order for it to respawn, or wait for that chest to despawn. There are only a few chests active in a zone/small area at one time, and in order for a chest to respawn, the currently opened chest must despawn.

Edited by Blackbird_V on 9 September 2024 03:17
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cirocruz wrote: »
    Chests, runestone nodes... I got used to [snip] players half-looting that

But now they are doing it to psijic portals... [snip]

[edited for baiting]

Yes, it's so very annoying because the portals are a less than ordinary drop.
    PS5/NA
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pevey wrote: »
    Wasn’t some testing done on this in the past, and it was shown that once opened, and treasure chest would despawn after a certain point even if not empty? It won’t just stay there forever.

No but it takes a lot longer.

That was part of the test too.
    PS5/NA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only a few chests active in a zone/small area at one time, and in order for a chest to respawn, the currently opened chest must despawn.

Yes. You have to wait a little for it to respawn. But they will respawn. Leaving loot does NOT prevent respawn. It will despawn on its own.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 9 September 2024 04:05
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only a few chests active in a zone/small area at one time, and in order for a chest to respawn, the currently opened chest must despawn.

Yes. You have to wait a little for it to respawn. But they will respawn. Leaving loot does NOT prevent respawn. It will despawn on its own.

Thing is if you're farming chests, that despawn timer is quite long, at around 5 minutes.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thing is if you're farming chests, that despawn timer is quite long, at around 5 minutes.

Yup! I have chest route, it annoys me no end when people can't be bothered to loot the whole thing.

Doesn't it take longer to pick thru everything than to just auto-loot and trash later? I've always thought so.
    PS5/NA
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »
    [snip]

I don't think anything will ever change with either chests or the associated player behaviour.
    Not even this unending defence of this poor practice.

Unfortunately, you're probably right... People leaving nodes partially looted, speed running in dungeons, fake tanking/healing in dungeons, etc. etc. will never change because they're allowed to do it.

And the amount of people always trying to defend, rationalize, and justify bad behavior is very unsettling... I'm guessing that the people who defend the behavior are the same ones exhibiting the behavior... They will even go as far as to troll you and try to make it out like it's you who are the problem... Well it's no wonder why I dislike and avoid most people...
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    For me it's because I refuse to pick up trash. Most of the things in chests are trash.

agreed, so why bother opening them at all.

Edited by Rowjoh on 9 September 2024 06:50
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One possible solution to this is to code in an option in the chest looting list to "destroy remaining contents". Don't know how feasible this is and, undoubtedly, there will still be players who don't click it.

I do think chests should automatically despawn the moment they are looted at all and if that means players who didn't have enough space in their inventory before opening the chest don't get stuff when they realise the chest has stuff worth having, well, tough.
    Edited by Northwold on 9 September 2024 07:57
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    I do think chests should automatically despawn the moment they are looted at all and if that means players who didn't have enough space in their inventory before opening the chest don't get stuff when they realise the chest has stuff worth having, well, tough.

This.

• Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that all this is working as ZOS intends, where a partially looted chest despawns after about 5 minutes.

No one that plays this game has an infinite inventory space. And the game does not revolve around me. If I get to a chest, and someone has already opened it and partially looted it, I get over it. I take what is left, and move on to look for another chest.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that all this is working as ZOS intends, where a partially looted chest despawns after about 5 minutes.

No one that plays this game has an infinite inventory space. And the game does not revolve around me. If I get to a chest, and someone has already opened it and partially looted it, I get over it. I take what is left, and move on to look for another chest.

The real problem with partial looting of anything is twofold:
    • It takes twice as many players to finish looting a node/chest
    • It delays the creation of a new node/chest
    The net result is that it takes longer for any of us to get what we do want.
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    What are people carrying around that they have so little space? Even on my characters with multiple builds, tanks and healers, I don't have a problem even though I'm carrying enough armor for 4-5 different builds.

Recipes, companion items, furniture, museum pieces, potions, poisons, master writs, resource surveys, odd gear you're waiting to research, treasure maps, random food and bev that's not your level, lockpicks, soul gems, unfilled soul gems, crown store buts and bobs, xp scrolls, leniency scrolls, fragments, rune boxes, style pages.

My ferry is coming in, but that'll get you started on a list of stuff people find themselves carrying.

This game has a thing called "the bank" where you can store stuff.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »
    Ingenon wrote: »

The real problem with partial looting of anything is twofold:
    • It takes twice as many players to finish looting a node/chest
    • It delays the creation of a new node/chest
    The net result is that it takes longer for any of us to get what we do want.

The problems with total looting

Someone may have to destroy something much more valuable than the trash they left behind

Someone may think the item they are leaving is valuable for someone else (new players)

The crafting bag and assistants require additional purchases, resulting in the ability to manage inventory easily to require a pretty decent chunk of real life money that not everyone can afford

Some people are just selfish and just don't feel like getting rid of trash loot
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 10 September 2024 01:47