Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I don't fully loot the chest in ESO.

• TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't even imagine how people get upset about this.

If I find a box like this I just loot it and go on with my life. I genuinely don't get why you would want to put yourself through feeling like this about a pixel item in game.

Making it a judgement of someone's moral character is also concerning.

Like, please, be healthy and walk away from games for a little bit if you are getting this upset over stuff that is really not going to matter.

Life isn't permanent and tomorrow isn't promised, is this what you want to spend your precious life worrying on?

Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • DanteTheDeviant
    DanteTheDeviant
    ✭✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    For me it's because I refuse to pick up trash. Most of the things in chests are trash.

Ahh yes, just like my parents when I was a baby.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kaushad wrote: »
    BenTSG wrote: »
    What a can of worms you've opened up here OP, hah

Or is it an alchemy node of worms (somebody already harvested the reagent and alchemical resin)?
    or even a Castle of the Worm, where partial looters are being painted as Mannimarcos.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since last year, every item in the game is worth at least 1 gold.
    All the random and useless stuff can be sold for profit. How can you walk away from that? It's stoopid.

Some players here are really strange.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Kimda
    Kimda
    ✭✭✭
    Chests should be like excavation, game won't allow you to open the chest if you don't have at least X amount of space left and it will automatically loot everything.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like, please, be healthy and walk away from games for a little bit if you are getting this upset over stuff that is really not going to matter.

Yeah that's the thing with most chest/jump cost threads, kinda disturbing in a sense.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a lot simpler when you autoloot all the stuff and clean up your inventory before you log off, takes matter of seconds.

Unless you don't have addons of course. I don't get it how people can play without them :smiley:
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »
    It's a lot simpler when you autoloot all the stuff and clean up your inventory before you log off, takes matter of seconds.

Unless you don't have addons of course. I don't get it how people can play without them :smiley:

It’s called console and we do :(
  • Arizona_Steve
    Arizona_Steve
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaushad wrote: »
    BenTSG wrote: »
    What a can of worms you've opened up here OP, hah
    Or is it an alchemy node of worms (somebody already harvested the reagent and alchemical resin)?

I wouldn't say no to that. It seems to have gotten harder to obtain worms for fishing recently.
    Wannabe Thalmor - Altmer MagSorc
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm on pc and don't use addons for inventory management. It's not hard to do, takes me 30s at the end of my playtime.
  • ikzaa
    ikzaa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't even imagine how people get upset about this.

If I find a box like this I just loot it and go on with my life. I genuinely don't get why you would want to put yourself through feeling like this about a pixel item in game.

Life isn't permanent and tomorrow isn't promised, is this what you want to spend your precious life worrying on?

Agree.

I rarely open chests but when I open them sometimes it has half a loot, it's like, ok... next one.

Once in Stonefalls I passed near a chest, I saw it but ignored it, a player who was nearby opened it.

I was going to the dolmen that was nearby, when I finished the dolmen the player was waiting for me to complain that I left the chest with half a loot, when I didn't even touch it.

He waited 3 minutes just to tell me that...

The paranoia of some is sad and pathetic.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And here I farm chests....
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I will not that not clearing out things from the stealable chest is VERY ANNOYING!

Trying to do the endeavor today only to find one that was not useful already! Just clear it out in that case please!

(Yeah, those who don't still won't, but it is annoying then.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People who don't fully loot the chest are both lazy and rude. If they don't have the craft bag and auto loot, they should adjust their play to dispose of stuff. Finding the trait stone left in a chest where I get neither the credit for picking it in larcenist, where I don't get the armor or glyph or gold makes me hate my fellow players who get away with stealing my stuff.

I hope everyone of them has children just like them and they can see how we feel.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get neither the credit for picking it in larcenist, where I don't get the armor or glyph or gold makes me hate my fellow players who get away with stealing my stuff.

Can't steal anything that was never yours in a first place?
  • Tayra_Evenstar
    Tayra_Evenstar
    Soul Shriven
    Why not have chests automatically disappear after a few minutes if they have been unlocked?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not have chests automatically disappear after a few minutes if they have been unlocked?

That is exactly what they do.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always fully loot chests. Thieves Troves, if I open it and it has nothing of interest I leave it completely unlooted. What do I need another 62 gold for?
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • LokiPagan
    LokiPagan
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the same thing as littering trash in a park - not a huge deal, but says a lot about you as a person...that your personality is garbage.

I'm amazed someone took to the forums to actually brag about it.
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a hoarder, so I have inventory management issues. That also means I don't leave anything behind when I loot chests. Still, I find that the times I come across a half-looted chest are few and far between, and it's only mildly annoying for a second if at all.

I don't understand the level of frustration this appears to cause some people. It doesn't really seem worth the name calling and condemnation.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LokiPagan wrote: »
    It's the same thing as littering trash in a park - not a huge deal, but says a lot about you as a person...that your personality is garbage.

its not like that at all.
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Conspiracy theory
    Someone's going round craglorn just taking the nirn
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LokiPagan wrote: »

Many forum members have made it clear in this thread and previous ones on the same topic that (a) there are valid inventory management reasons for leaving chests partially looted, and (b) chests DO despawn when partially looted. Yet here you are making disparaging comments about other peoples' personalities.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half of this is the devs fault and half of this is the players.
    "I know that someday that sun is bound to shine." -Ella Fitzgerald
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

That is exactly what they do.

Then how is it that I run into so many partially looted chests? The respawn time is either too long or not as reliable as some are claiming.

Just loot any container you open completely folks. It's not that hard or an inconvenience. It's just rude not to.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding despawning / respawnjng times, I'm reasonably sure, from everything I've learnt on the forums on this topic and my own observations in game, that by partially looting a chest you *delay* a respawn.

Yes, partially looted chests do get reset. But it takes somewhat longer than with fully emptied chests. So you really do inconvenience other players by partial looting behaviour.

There are two classes of player for whom partial looting is pretty forgivable, namely those without ESO+ and players still levelling up who still don't have maximum carry capacity, who would otherwise spend half their lives clearing up junk.

But for everyone else, you damage other players' experience through pure selfishness and laziness, particularly in places where A LOT of people run chest run circuits, such as Craglorn. You make the grind of *the wider game* for other people worse simply because you can't be bothered to do the barest minimum of inventory management.

But also, yes, at the end of the day, instancing nodes to players would make a whole lot more sense than what we have here, or a system of open the chest and take what you want and then the chest immediately disappears.

So many of ESO's annoyances come from players competing for events, not because they are supposed to be competing for them, but because of the daft way ESO was set up. Chests are a pretty mild example compared to eg, queuing up to kill a delve boss and hoping to get a hit in because, despite 10 people being in the dungeon, there's only one boss and we're gonna leave you to waste 10 minutes of your life waiting if someone else beats you to it...
    Edited by Northwold on 28 March 2024 18:47
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »

It’s called console and we do :(

Not just console players, some of us PC players don't feel the need for addons. I haven't used one in 10 years.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as "useless stuff" in this game.
    • Everything now has a gold value, even if only 1g.
    • Kit and gear can be broken down into constituent parts or sold. Constituent parts (mats) can be used or sold.
    • Maps can be used or sold.
    • Gold is.... gold.

I loot everything. EVERYTHING, I tell ya! I didn't get to be a billionaire by leaving stuff in chests, that's for sure!! *

* I promise I'm not as old as this post makes me seem.

Bingo, sir.
    Correctly priced, everything will sell.

Partial looting of any container is just poor efficiency. Once a container needs to be looted twice before it respawns, it has just doubled everyone's workload and time.

I use chest opening as a source of XP. If the chest is already opened, I don't get any XP.
    I prefer overland gear currently. If the only chests around are pre-looted and 'SIMPLE' my chances of finding set pieces are pretty well zero.

Despite various comments, the way chests spawn is different in delves to how it is overland.
    When someone drags out the old 'they respawn in 10 minutes' line, I am reminded of being in really remote locations at quiet playing times and finding rune towers with no square runes. A hallmark of partial looters.

Partial looting works against all players. Just take everything and set up your trash for the stuff you don't want. Please manage your inventory some other way; stop forcing YOUR inventory problems onto the rest of us.

In the end you're forcing everyone to be as inefficient as you* are.

* 'you' being any partial looter.
    Edited by LaintalAy on 28 March 2024 23:42
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »
    Half of this is the devs fault and half of this is the players.

It's mostly player behavior.

You can blame devs for changes made to reduce the odds of finding valuable and useful items - no more purple items in Advanced chests now. Unless that is linked to the CP tree that new players need in excess of 600CP to access...

You can't blame Devs for 20 chests in a series that are either opened or 'Simple'.

REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • cirocruz
    cirocruz
    ✭✭✭
    Chests, runestone nodes... I got used to [snip] players half-looting that

But now they are doing it to psijic portals... [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 6 September 2024 16:34
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."