Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I don't fully loot the chest in ESO.

Redguards_Revenge
Redguards_Revenge
✭✭✭✭
The truth is I never have the space to loot it. I take what I need and go. I won't waste my time juggling items in my inventory to destroy stuff that means nothing to me.

I haven't played in some months. So I don't know if ZoS has a solution. However, here's what I want ZoS to do. Simply give me a destroy all button for the rest of the items in the chest. is the "?" button taken for anything? It needs to be a button that I won't accidentally hit and consciously have to hit.

It could be the loot all button but I have to hold it for 2-3 seconds to destroy all. Tap to loot all hold down for 2-3 seconds to destroy all. Then everybody gets their respawning chests.
  • Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're constantly running around with 198/200 inventory space why don't you just take 30 seconds to sell some of the stuff you're literally never going to use?
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.
    6/9 Trial Trifecta achievements.
    Tick Tock Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's because I refuse to pick up trash. Most of the things in chests are trash.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are people carrying around that they have so little space? Even on my characters with multiple builds, tanks and healers, I don't have a problem even though I'm carrying enough armor for 4-5 different builds.
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I clean the chests and do not leave any trash for other people to clean after me. But that is just my approach because I personally find it irritating to make a detour for a chest only to find it containing someone's leftovers.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    For me it's because I refuse to pick up trash. Most of the things in chests are trash.

Then don't open the chest.
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are people carrying around that they have so little space? Even on my characters with multiple builds, tanks and healers, I don't have a problem even though I'm carrying enough armor for 4-5 different builds.

Recipes, companion items, furniture, museum pieces, potions, poisons, master writs, resource surveys, odd gear you're waiting to research, treasure maps, random food and bev that's not your level, lockpicks, soul gems, unfilled soul gems, crown store buts and bobs, xp scrolls, leniency scrolls, fragments, rune boxes, style pages.

My ferry is coming in, but that'll get you started on a list of stuff people find themselves carrying.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »

Recipes, companion items, furniture, museum pieces, potions, poisons, master writs, resource surveys, odd gear you're waiting to research, treasure maps, random food and bev that's not your level, lockpicks, soul gems, unfilled soul gems, crown store buts and bobs, xp scrolls, leniency scrolls, fragments, rune boxes, style pages.

My ferry is coming in, but that'll get you started on a list of stuff people find themselves carrying.

That's what bank space is for.
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »

And not get leads or whatever IS good in there? Pff. I will gladly leave you my scraps.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if u dont clear chests completely & just take the good loot you are selfish & lazy

• Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I autoloot everything I find lol.
    Even if it's a piece of gear I don't want to use it still decons into crafting mats which I DO use.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leaving trash in chests rather than fully looting the chest is a selfish and disrespectful action. It prevents chests from respawning and leaves the junk for the next player.

Please show respect to your fellow players and fully loot any chest you open.
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JustLovely wrote: »
    Leaving trash in chests rather than fully looting the chest is a selfish and disrespectful action. It prevents chests from respawning and leaves the junk for the next player.

Completely agree. In fact, ZOS should prevent people from looting only partially: it's all or nothing. There are those who even just take the plant and leave the resin for the next player. So it's not just for chests...everywhere people only partially loot. Also in Thief's Troves...
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JustLovely wrote: »

Completely agree. In fact, ZOS should prevent people from looting only partially: it's all or nothing. There are those who even just take the plant and leave the resin for the next player. So it's not just for chests...everywhere people only partially loot. Also in Thief's Troves...
    An even better solution would be to update the looting mechanic so that you take the items you want, then when you exit the looting UI, the chest despawns.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People did this in other games too and it's a pet peeve of mine.

If there's never anything good, don't open them. That simple.

Or get an assistant and decon/vendor /bank as you go. Or visit your guild trader/museum more often seyou aren't hoarding crap.

Your problem shouldn't be my problem.
  • ElderSmitter
    ElderSmitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way i feel about players leaving stuff in chests is this.

That is the same way they live their own personal Lives. Take it at Face Value.

Cheers!
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO it's a failure in game design that chests do not respawn if left partially looted. ZoS is enabling toxicity be letting this be. I think it's also easy to fix. When you unlock chests it should be immediately transferred to your inventory, as a container like rewards of the worthy or daily crafting writ containers, and you open the loot bag from your inventory. The open world chest should then despawn, thus preventing it from being a stale trash container.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I'm bothered with here is misinformation about chest despawn mechanic, but other that that you do you - zos made space a premium thing, no wonder people can't/don't want to play along.

Taking all 99% of times but can see why others don't.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tenthirty2 wrote: »
    I autoloot everything I find lol.
    Even if it's a piece of gear I don't want to use it still decons into crafting mats which I DO use.

Yep I autoloot everything. Ain't nobody got time for standing around sorting chest trash! Force lock, smash and grab, get out of Dodge. On to the next chest, while Joe Slow is busy deciding what to keep and leave. My junk handler addon automatically round files the trash, and whatever's not flagged gets sold to the merchant when I have down time.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HowlKimchi wrote: »
    IMO it's a failure in game design that chests do not respawn if left partially looted.

Where did you get that idea? Once a chest is opened, another spawns somewhere else in the zone. The half empty chest starts a decay timer that is equal to the amount of time the empty chest location would remain if nothing respawns there.

Test it for yourself. Find a tiny delve and mark every chest location. Loot them all... I guarantee you can't, because they will respawn as fast as you empty them. Then, loot every chest, but this time leave one item in each one.

Come back and post what you learned.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    IMO it's a failure in game design that chests do not respawn if left partially looted.

Where did you get that idea? Once a chest is opened, another spawns somewhere else in the zone. The half empty chest starts a decay timer that is equal to the amount of time the empty chest location would remain if nothing respawns there.

Test it for yourself. Find a tiny delve and mark every chest location. Loot them all... I guarantee you can't, because they will respawn as fast as you empty them. Then, loot every chest, but this time leave one item in each one.

I got the idea from guildies way back when. I admit that I don't really do chest runs to grind for gold or gear. I have been in discord calls with people who do though and everytime they see a partially looted chest they would get tilted and go on a rant about it.

If you're right, and you seem confident that you are, then that's great and i'm glad to be wrong.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Redguards_Revenge
    I don't get it ...
    You see free stuff lying around and
    walk away? 🤦‍♂️

Are you sure you are playing the right kind of game for you? 😉
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have smart autoloot addon, from treasure chest it takes everything and destroy trash automatically.
    Just because I hate that behavior to left there half-looted chest.
    Same as for resource nodes!!
    Really sorry for my english
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zos should implement one of two solutions for this
    1: make chest spawns in overland instanced, ya know like how nodes for surveys are.

2: if you go more than 10 meters from an overland chest you've opened but not completely looted it explodes shooting the disrespectful and lazy player with a beam of oblivion damage that does 100,000 damage a second.

Obviously one of those solutions is a joke, but that is no excuse for being lazy and preventing/delaying chest spawns for other players just because you can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to make sure you have a feasible amount of bag space before you go treasure hunting
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    Obviously one of those solutions is a joke...

Mmm i bet the joke is number 1. So I am for number 2 but add one zero to dmg :smiley:
    Really sorry for my english
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that is hard to pickup is a duplicated treasure map.
    Sometimes when I open my banker to store the original some scroat will come and Rob the chest.
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mate, the bank holds under 500 at max capacity. There are more recipes in the game than that, to pick one item category from my list.

This game has deliberate item bloat, and has it for a reason. That reason starts with M and rhymes with 'funny'.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take the useless stuff and leave the gold and anything of value.

(my char name is Robin Hood btw).
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Mate, the bank holds under 500 at max capacity. There are more recipes in the game than that, to pick one item category from my list.

This game has deliberate item bloat, and has it for a reason. That reason starts with M and rhymes with 'funny'.

If you have 500 of any item that doesn't stack, that's on you not a lack of space.
    Edited by Hapexamendios on 25 March 2024 08:13
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Froil wrote: »

it will reset FASTER if it is emptied.

its common courtesy. something that some people don't have, but what they hey. The OP makes it sound like this is some HUGE Difficult task when they can just store the items until they bump into a merchant and spend 30 seconds selling anything they don't want.

But that is SOoooooo hard to do.

:#
  • Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Aren't there only so many set locations in any zone where a chest can spawn? If so then if there were an item left in every chest in the zone, so that none of them could de-spawn, then where do the new chests spawn, if every set location still has a chest with an item left in it?