Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I don't fully loot the chest in ESO.

• Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I almost always ignore chests unless I need them for daily seals. But when I open them I loot everything there is.
    Possible solution to this problem could be to remove overland chests and only have treasure maps for each zone.This way no one leaves their trash behind for others to pick up.Or like someone else said, it's loot everything or nothing.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »
    I have smart autoloot addon, from treasure chest it takes everything and destroy trash automatically.
    Just because I hate that behavior to left there half-looted chest.
    Same as for resource nodes!!

Everything from resource nodes is useful tho. The housing mats and fishing bait sell....
  • Kimda
    Kimda
    ✭✭✭
    Only times when I won't leave chests fully looted are when there's a treasure map which I already have. Stupid limitation.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most games require some kind of player effort for inventory management. For ESO I usually make sure I have at least 25% free inventory space for exploration loot, and periodically go to a vendor to sell accumulated junk. Items that I don't foresee using in the next few weeks/months go in the bank, and those I don't foresee ever using get vendored/traded.

Otherwise, as others have said, the "loot everything or loot nothing" approach is something I use when I'm low on inventory space.
  • Kitziboo
    Kitziboo
    ✭✭✭
    My second account has no ESO+ so I am constantly juggling with space but I have still never left anything behind in a chest. I’ve also had people remove the contents whilst I’m making space in my inventory but I don’t think it would be fair for the loot to vanish if you don’t take it when first opening. I like the idea of it being a loot container taking one space until you can open it later.

As they are still baby characters, it’s very disappointing to find only an empty soul gem or some lock picks when you are hoping for something exciting but I always take what’s left so it can respawn for someone else.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with ZOS making it so you could either auto-destroy everything left in the chest with one click (which most of the players who leave stuff in the chest currently probably wouldn't bother to do) or have it auto-destroyed when you close the chest is that they would be inundated with tickets from players who didn't bother to check properly what was going to be auto-destroyed and only realised too late that there was something they wanted and will then ask for it to be reinstated.

Auto-destruction on closing the chest would also prevent players from temporarily closing it in order to rearrange their inventory to accommodate something they wanted from the chest.
    Edited by Tandor on 25 March 2024 10:02
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shara_Wynn wrote: »
    Jaraal wrote: »
    HowlKimchi wrote: »
    IMO it's a failure in game design that chests do not respawn if left partially looted.

Where did you get that idea? Once a chest is opened, another spawns somewhere else in the zone. The half empty chest starts a decay timer that is equal to the amount of time the empty chest location would remain if nothing respawns there.

Test it for yourself. Find a tiny delve and mark every chest location. Loot them all... I guarantee you can't, because they will respawn as fast as you empty them. Then, loot every chest, but this time leave one item in each one.

Come back and post what you learned.

Aren't there only so many set locations in any zone where a chest can spawn? If so then if there were an item left in every chest in the zone, so that none of them could de-spawn, then where do the new chests spawn, if every set location still has a chest with an item left in it?

Only about half of the chests or less in any given zone are up at any given time. There is no possible scenario where they are all up at once. Not even after a server reset. This can, again, be tested in any ultra small delve. Go to a remote one in Cyrodiil in a low population campaign, where you won't see other players. Each faction has a delve that's less than 10 - 15 yards long. See how many chests are up. I guarantee you they will not all be up. BUT, loot one, and see where the next one spawns.

In a large overland zone, like Vvardenfell, there can be hundreds of chest spawn locations. Leave an item in 20 chests, and 20 more will have respawned.... but most likely far away from where you are. Resource nodes work the same way. Loot one, and you can stand there waiting hours for it to respawn, OR, it can respawn in less than a minute. Why is that?

Edited by Jaraal on 25 March 2024 10:17
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    What are people carrying around that they have so little space? Even on my characters with multiple builds, tanks and healers, I don't have a problem even though I'm carrying enough armor for 4-5 different builds.

Recipes, companion items, furniture, museum pieces, potions, poisons, master writs, resource surveys, odd gear you're waiting to research, treasure maps, random food and bev that's not your level, lockpicks, soul gems, unfilled soul gems, crown store buts and bobs, xp scrolls, leniency scrolls, fragments, rune boxes, style pages.

My ferry is coming in, but that'll get you started on a list of stuff people find themselves carrying.

That's what bank space is for.

Mate, the bank holds under 500 at max capacity. There are more recipes in the game than that, to pick one item category from my list.

This game has deliberate item bloat, and has it for a reason. That reason starts with M and rhymes with 'funny'.

If you have 500 of any item that doesn't stack, that's on you not a lack of space.

It's on me? It's my fault?

You mentioned that despite carrying several sets you had no problem, so you asked why people might run out of inventory.

I have given you some examples of inventory items to help you understand why people might get overencumbered. Hope it helps.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are people carrying around that they have so little space? Even on my characters with multiple builds, tanks and healers, I don't have a problem even though I'm carrying enough armor for 4-5 different builds.

Recipes, companion items, furniture, museum pieces, potions, poisons, master writs, resource surveys, odd gear you're waiting to research, treasure maps, random food and bev that's not your level, lockpicks, soul gems, unfilled soul gems, crown store buts and bobs, xp scrolls, leniency scrolls, fragments, rune boxes, style pages.

My ferry is coming in, but that'll get you started on a list of stuff people find themselves carrying.

Mate, the bank holds under 500 at max capacity. There are more recipes in the game than that, to pick one item category from my list.

This game has deliberate item bloat, and has it for a reason. That reason starts with M and rhymes with 'funny'.

If you have 500 of any item that doesn't stack, that's on you not a lack of space.

Yes, it’s on you (and anyone else who fails to fully loot chests).

I don’t have ESO+ and thus only have half the bank space. I have seven characters, none of whom are pack mules (i.e. they all carry their own sets and food, plus all their writ potions and writ food). I STILL have plenty of space in each individual character’s backpack to fully loot everything I find in chests. Not having ESO plus is never an excuse for leaving trash in chests, especially if you’re on PC. Inventory management takes a little bit of effort on console, but it’s effortless on PC thanks to addons.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    I have smart autoloot addon, from treasure chest it takes everything and destroy trash automatically.

Everything from resource nodes is useful tho. The housing mats and fishing bait sell....

Tbh I don't need baits, branches etc... But I rly hate when someone infront of me goes to the node and take only furnishing mats and rest leave... so node is still there but only with ressources without any other things
    Really sorry for my english
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Tbh I don't need baits, branches etc... But I rly hate when someone infront of me goes to the node and take only furnishing mats and rest leave... so node is still there but only with ressources without any other things

At least on pc na worms particularly sell decently.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only time I was actually thankful that someone didn’t fully loot chests (or resource nodes) was when I found several mundane runes left behind. I wish I could have messaged the lazy individual to say “uh, you know that mundane runes aren’t actually mundane, right?”
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auto loot everything and sell the excess. You’d be surprised how quickly the gold mounts up
  • WhisperLFE
    WhisperLFE
    ✭✭✭
    This seems to be the ESO equivalent of whether you put the shopping cart in the cart return yourself, or leave it out in the parking lot for the workers to come get.
    Edited by WhisperLFE on 25 March 2024 12:38
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

I autoloot, so you're just talking nonsense now.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WhisperLFE wrote: »
    This seems to be the ESO equivalent of whether you put the shopping cart in the cart return yourself, or leave it out in the parking lot for the workers to come get.

Workers here don't collect shopping carts.

If you don't take them back(most Swedes do), you're a jerk here.
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    For me it's because I refuse to pick up trash. Most of the things in chests are trash.

"I don't really want these items so rather than picking them up and destroying them to give the next person who comes along a chance to roll for something nice, I'm going to just leave this half done chest here."

No.

Just destroy it. Don't be like this.
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as "useless stuff" in this game.
    • Everything now has a gold value, even if only 1g.
    • Kit and gear can be broken down into constituent parts or sold. Constituent parts (mats) can be used or sold.
    • Maps can be used or sold.
    • Gold is.... gold.

I loot everything. EVERYTHING, I tell ya! I didn't get to be a billionaire by leaving stuff in chests, that's for sure!! *

* I promise I'm not as old as this post makes me seem.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just loot the chest fully. It's not that hard, and it most certainly is not an inconvenience to do so. It's just disrespectful and inconsiderate to leave junk in there for the next person.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I autoloot, so you're just talking nonsense now.

Well, you should have specified that. People defending the practice of leaving trash in chests tend to do it themselves.
  • Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HowlKimchi wrote: »
    IMO it's a failure in game design that chests do not respawn if left partially looted.

Where did you get that idea? Once a chest is opened, another spawns somewhere else in the zone. The half empty chest starts a decay timer that is equal to the amount of time the empty chest location would remain if nothing respawns there.

Test it for yourself. Find a tiny delve and mark every chest location. Loot them all... I guarantee you can't, because they will respawn as fast as you empty them. Then, loot every chest, but this time leave one item in each one.

Come back and post what you learned.

Aren't there only so many set locations in any zone where a chest can spawn? If so then if there were an item left in every chest in the zone, so that none of them could de-spawn, then where do the new chests spawn, if every set location still has a chest with an item left in it?

Only about half of the chests or less in any given zone are up at any given time. There is no possible scenario where they are all up at once. Not even after a server reset. This can, again, be tested in any ultra small delve. Go to a remote one in Cyrodiil in a low population campaign, where you won't see other players. Each faction has a delve that's less than 10 - 15 yards long. See how many chests are up. I guarantee you they will not all be up. BUT, loot one, and see where the next one spawns.

In a large overland zone, like Vvardenfell, there can be hundreds of chest spawn locations. Leave an item in 20 chests, and 20 more will have respawned.... but most likely far away from where you are. Resource nodes work the same way. Loot one, and you can stand there waiting hours for it to respawn, OR, it can respawn in less than a minute. Why is that?

Ok and when I have opened all the chests in the delve and left an item in each one, what then? What happens? Do more chests spawn? If there is a finite number of potential spawn sites for each treasure chest, then there is a finite number of chests that can ever spawn at once. Or does the game create new spawn locations, that were never there before?

Lets say a delve has 10 potential chest spawn sites. Each time I open a chest, another one spawns in one of the other 9 remaining potential spawn sites. Now if I left items in 9 out of the 10 possible chests that can ever spawn, this would mean that only 1 more chest can spawn, and if I left an item in that 10th chest, what then? Are you saying that there will be 10 chests still in the delve and an 11th will spawn? If so, then were does it spawn if there are a finite number of spawn sites? Or are you saying that there are an infinite number of potential spawn sites for treasure chests and I could have an infinite number of chests in the delve, all with items remaining in them? 100's of them, even 1000's of them if I waited long enough?

People should just loot all the items in their treasure chests. It takes seconds to drag an item from your inventory to the middle of the screen and hit destroy, or to add it to your junk menu. Not looting all the items in the chest is lazy and selfish behavior and ruins the game for others.

The sooner ZOS implements the de-spawning of all chests after the person that opened them has finished looting them (whether they left an item in them or not), the better.
    Edited by Shara_Wynn on 25 March 2024 13:49
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only time I was actually thankful that someone didn’t fully loot chests (or resource nodes) was when I found several mundane runes left behind. I wish I could have messaged the lazy individual to say “uh, you know that mundane runes aren’t actually mundane, right?”

Actually, you're right. Sometimes I'm happy for that when I just find only better stuff in half-looted node. Eventually on endeavors when I don't want to search for chests, so I don't even mind an opened chest (But I'm still swearing if I find it) if it counts towards my endeavor.
    Yea I am super lazy even when I have super fast lizzy for harvesting :smile:
    At least on pc na worms particularly sell decently.

That's true, but I've got thousands of them, and I haven't been fishing in months. As I said.. I am lazy :smile:
    Edited by davidtk on 25 March 2024 13:38
    Really sorry for my english
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple random thoughts I get every time I see this thread repeated on these forums:
    1. No one has every posted evidence that opened chest with some items left in it take longer to respawn. Personally, I think it is nonsense that a partially cleared chest takes longer to respawn. I think someone made this up, and folks keep repeating it. I think the real issue is that folks are finding chests with only junk in them, and they are mad because they didn't get anything good from that chest.
    2. I have ESO+ with crafting bag, and lots of inventory space, so I tend to loot everything. I know folks that play this game that do not have ESO+, and therefore do not have the space to loot everything. I understand they are going to leave stuff behind, because they don't have inventory space. Since I'm not about to buy ESO+ for everyone in the game that does not have it, I have decided to get over the "issue" of finding chests with only junk in them.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ingenon wrote: »
    [*] I have ESO+ with crafting bag, and lots of inventory space, so I tend to loot everything. I know folks that play this game that do not have ESO+, and therefore do not have the space to loot everything. I understand they are going to leave stuff behind, because they don't have inventory space. Since I'm not about to buy ESO+ for everyone in the game that does not have it, I have decided to get over the "issue" of finding chests with only junk in them.
    [/list]

For PC players, this is the solution to not having ESO plus: https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info3512-PersonalAssistantBankingConsumeJunkLootRepairWorkerMasteroshi430sbranch.html

I agree that inventory management is a problem on console (one that can be managed if you're diligent about it), but it's no problem whatsoever on PC. I don't have ESO+ and I regularly have 80+ open slots on any character that's farming chests or resource nodes. It's just poor manners to leave a partially looted treasure chest or resource node behind.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i like to leave a little something for the next person.

sharing is caring.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok and when I have opened all the chests in the delve and left an item in each one, what then? What happens? Do more chests spawn? If there is a finite number of potential spawn sites for each treasure chest, then there is a finite number of chests that can ever spawn at once. Or does the game create new spawn locations, that were never there before?

Lets say a delve has 10 potential chest spawn sites. Each time I open a chest, another one spawns in one of the other 9 remaining potential spawn sites. Now if I left items in 9 out of the 10 possible chests that can ever spawn, this would mean that only 1 more chest can spawn, and if I left an item in that 10th chest, what then? Are you saying that there will be 10 chests still in the delve and an 11th will spawn? If so, then were does it spawn if there are a finite number of spawn sites? Or are you saying that there are an infinite number of potential spawn sites for treasure chests and I could have an infinite number of chests in the delve, all with items remaining in them? 100's of them, even 1000's of them if I waited long enough?

I will answer your questions with a question. Why do you assume that a chest will not despawn if you leave something in it? Because somebody said that?
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sharing is caring.

In real life do you leave your empty bottles and cans on the sidewalk so the homeless can pick them up and take them to the recycling center too?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every potential chest spawn location is fixed. The game doesn't generate new locations on the fly. That's why addons such as HarvestMap can show pins for each possible chest.

Let's use a binary system for descriptive purposes.

1 = spawned chest
    0 = empty potential chest location

Each location will be in a state of 1 or 0. Either ready to loot, or ready to repopulate once the set number of active chests is reduced by 1. if the zone has 100 spawn points, X number of chests will always be up. The number can vary, and ZOS doesn't give out those figures. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that the number is 50.

Now, when I activate a chest, either by opening and looting it, or opening and leaving items in it, another chest spawns in one of the 50 empty locations. The location I am standing at reverts from a state of 1 to a state of 0. The 0 can be one of two things: 0 with nothing on it, or 0 with a partial chest. Meaning, the spawn point will be ready to populate. But we don't know if this location will be the next to spawn, or just one of the 49 other 0 locations.

A visual example: Let's liken the 100 spawn points to a game of Whack-A-Mole with 100 holes, except there are 50 moles popped up at all times. You whack 1 mole (chest) with the hammer, and another pops up. There are always 50 moles popped. Now, let's say that you leave a half looted treasure chest on top of one of the empty holes. Whack a mole, and one pops up. Did you see it over there? Good. Notice the half looted chest is still over here by you. Keep whacking moles, and guess what? At some point (could be 1 hit, could be 500), a mole will pop up where the partial chest is, and knock it out of the way. Meaning, a chest will respawn in this location when RNGeesus decides it's time. The partial chest is not preventing that from happening. The partial chest is just a placeholder for a 0, or empty spot.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GooGa592 wrote: »

sharing is caring.

In real life do you leave your empty bottles and cans on the sidewalk so the homeless can pick them up and take them to the recycling center too?

that is not an applicable analogy. try again.
  • EchoesofThunder
    EchoesofThunder
    ✭✭✭
    Here's what I do - when I see someone leaving junk in a chest, I just "ignore" them, lol.
    They're lazy, selfish *** who won't take the time to clean up. That chest won't respawn, until someone comes along who WILL take the time to toss the trash.