Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I don't fully loot the chest in ESO.

• GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GooGa592 wrote: »
    i like to leave a little something for the next person.

sharing is caring.

In real life do you leave your empty bottles and cans on the sidewalk so the homeless can pick them up and take them to the recycling center too?

that is not an applicable analogy. try again.

Except it is an applicable analogy. Leaving your trash around for someone else to pick up in real life is much the same as leaving your trash around for someone else to pick up in game. It's the same mindset, and it's disrespectful.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i like to leave a little something for the next person.

sharing is caring.

In real life do you leave your empty bottles and cans on the sidewalk so the homeless can pick them up and take them to the recycling center too?

that is not an applicable analogy. try again.

Except it is an applicable analogy. Leaving your trash around for someone else to pick up in real life is much the same as leaving your trash around for someone else to pick up in game. It's the same mindset, and it's disrespectful.

you're still wrong.
  • Shara_Wynn
    Shara_Wynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Where did you get that idea? Once a chest is opened, another spawns somewhere else in the zone. The half empty chest starts a decay timer that is equal to the amount of time the empty chest location would remain if nothing respawns there.

Apologies, I missed this.

So, in theory, a half filled chest will eventually de-spawn when all the spawn sites are taken. However, in reality, due to the unlikely scenario that all the available chest spawn sites would ever actually be occupied by half filled chests, this essentially means that a half filled chest, does not de-spawn.

It simply sits there, half filled with garbage, waiting to annoy the next person who happens upon it, looking for a lead or whatnot.

Loot your chests!
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you have assistants for selling, deconstruction, fencing and banking? The only items that really occupy space are stuff I'm going to sell to guild traders before log off.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on 19 April 2024 00:44
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want auto sell and auto deconstruction switch menu.

white and green ---> auto sell
    blue and purple ---> auto deconstruct. (and collected)

Don't want to waste time through the dungeon and trial.
    Edited by AvalonRanger on 25 March 2024 17:14
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    with [1Stam Blade].
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".

2024/08/23
    Farewell Atsuko Tanaka...(-_-) I never forget epic acting for major Motoko Kusanagi.
  • Cruxanero
    Cruxanero
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also have auto loot on, but sometimes a duplicate treasure map (one of the worthless ones) drops, and I for sure don't scroll through my inventory to delete it, so I can pick up the same one.

The solution to this is simple though: just make treasure maps stack, such as surveys now do.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JustLovely wrote: »
    Leaving trash in chests (...) prevents chests from respawning (...)
    Not true, partially looted chests respawn aswell.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are people carrying around that they have so little space? Even on my characters with multiple builds, tanks and healers, I don't have a problem even though I'm carrying enough armor for 4-5 different builds.
    This, I use auto loot as its faster, I just pop an merchant then it start to get low.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kimda wrote: »
    Only times when I won't leave chests fully looted are when there's a treasure map which I already have. Stupid limitation.

I destroy the one in my backpack then empty the chest. Unless it's a DLC map that's worth selling, then I'll put one in the bank and empty the chest.

To the other poster who had a pack full of recipes - read them! Or sell them, whatever, why you carting them around?
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The solution is ESO+ for the most part.

Bag space is VERY TIGHT without it.

I just take anything, selling or deconning what I don't need.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Tallon_IV
    Tallon_IV
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a waste of time to surgically remove items from containers instead of just auto loot all and vendor/decon what you don't need.

Also, if someone happens to be farming chests for leads or something else, I would rather not be the person leaving them a junk chest.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    JustLovely wrote: »
    Leaving trash in chests rather than fully looting the chest is a selfish and disrespectful action. It prevents chests from respawning and leaves the junk for the next player.

Please show respect to your fellow players and fully loot any chest you open.

Completely agree. In fact, ZOS should prevent people from looting only partially: it's all or nothing. There are those who even just take the plant and leave the resin for the next player. So it's not just for chests...everywhere people only partially loot. Also in Thief's Troves...
    An even better solution would be to update the looting mechanic so that you take the items you want, then when you exit the looting UI, the chest despawns.

And then you get people alt + f4 ing to exploit spawn mechanics or tickets about rare loot not being available because disconnect. It takes just a few seconds to grab all of the loot. A few more to trash items you don't want. It takes around 5 minutes for a partially looted chest to depawn, and the the spawn cool down starts before another shows on the map.

If enough players do this in a zone it actually takes longer to farm chests and cycle through all of them, resulting in the farm taking longer.

I am fine if you leave partial loot in chests, but I also don't touch ones that have already been opened in non group places. Just don't complain if you leave stuff behind that someone did the same to you.

Courtesy repays courtesy after all.
  • BetweenMidgets
    BetweenMidgets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're on PC and can run addons, there are a few things that help with this.

I run with an addon called "Personal Assistant". You can create a rule that when X item is picked up, it can auto move to your junk tab. You can have it auto sell the junk at a vendor, or there is a keybind listed at the bottom of the screen to destroy all. It even bypasses the "Type "CONFIRM" in the box to confirm you want to delete whatever item" prompt.

Please be respectful and loot everything from chests and nodes.
    PC-NA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love cleaning up nodes left by others - sure, you got the ore or silk or whatever, but I get the housing mats you left for me.

Works for me.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing worse than finding an open chest is taking it personally, imo.

I just assume whoever opened it had a full inventory and that they weren't going to delete something valuable on the off chance someone MIGHT come by and get the mildly disappointed. It's really not that deep and I don't feel disrespected.

I have auto-loot on so I don't leave anything behind. Force lock and auto-loot and I keep all treasure maps in my bank.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 26 March 2024 07:16
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

I just assume whoever opened it had a full inventory and that they weren't going to delete something valuable on the off chance someone MIGHT come by and get the mildly disappointed. It's really not that deep and I don't feel disrespected.

I have auto-loot on so I don't leave anything behind. Force lock and auto-loot, all treasure maps in my bank.

It is a bit annoying if I was looking for patterns or leads, but I have enough of these and at least one maxed Legendermain character on each server so it is less of a pain.

More annoying when the force unlock at 85% fails 3 or more times in a row though!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

I have auto-loot on so I don't leave anything behind. Force lock and auto-loot, all treasure maps in my bank.

It is a bit annoying if I was looking for patterns or leads, but I have enough of these and at least one maxed Legendermain character on each server so it is less of a pain.

More annoying when the force unlock at 85% fails 3 or more times in a row though!

Yes! I hate it when a chest won't force lock. Also I hate it when I get paranoid of my own companions stealing my chest because I forget I had them turned on for a second LOL. I'm like who is this player trying to steal my chest 😡 Oh hi Sharp!
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 26 March 2024 07:24
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are people carrying around that they have so little space? Even on my characters with multiple builds, tanks and healers, I don't have a problem even though I'm carrying enough armor for 4-5 different builds.

Nice for you that you don't have problems with inventory space.

A lot of other players do.

I have 20 characters, almost all of which have the max 215 inventory space (with 3 bag space pets), max bank with eso+ and several storage chests in my house and I rarely get above 200 free inventory slots across my whole account.

That leaves maybe 10 free inventory slots on my frequently played characters. I'm not going to waste that by filling it up with actual trash.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a can of worms you've opened up here OP, hah
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »

I have 20 characters, almost all of which have the max 215 inventory space (with 3 bag space pets), max bank with eso+ and several storage chests in my house and I rarely get above 200 free inventory slots across my whole account.

That leaves maybe 10 free inventory slots on my frequently played characters. I'm not going to waste that by filling it up with actual trash.

Pebcak then.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on 19 April 2024 00:43
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already know why people leave junk in chests. And we already know the excuse they tell themselves to justify doing it.
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    Jierdanit wrote: »

HOW? I have at least 12 characters that are max level and fully geared that only sit around 30/215 at all times. I play them and when finished I decon gear and then sell trash so that they are ready to go the next time I want to play them. The only characters that I have that are near capacity are mule characters that only serve to hold inventory like surveys.

Gear mostly.

I'd say at least 2/3rds of my storage is occupied by set pieces that I either need for current builds or don't want to decon because I don't want to waste materials or transmutes in case I need it again.

The rest is mostly consumables like potions, poisons, food, xp scrolls or siege.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • subarctic
    subarctic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaargh, bloody annoying when opening a chest that only contains junk after someone has already taken the best items. This should be a violation of ToS, a serious act warranting permanent expulsion from the game, and yes, dear forum moderators, this is NOT irony.
  • Arizona_Steve
    Arizona_Steve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two rules I always follow when playing:

(1) Loot everything from the chest (unless it's a duplicate treasure map - hard to do much about that without a banker assistant)
    (2) If someone else is standing by a chest, leave it alone and move on to the next one.
    Wannabe Thalmor - Altmer MagSorc
  • Sepultura_13
    Sepultura_13
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a game. You're just looking to be offended and triggered by something meaningless and harmless. You're making quite an assumption, claiming that someone is a litterbug in real life, simply because they don't take everything from a chest.

And people say that I'm easily offended? LMAO :D
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shara_Wynn wrote: »
    Jaraal wrote: »

Where did you get that idea? Once a chest is opened, another spawns somewhere else in the zone. The half empty chest starts a decay timer that is equal to the amount of time the empty chest location would remain if nothing respawns there.

Apologies, I missed this.

So, in theory, a half filled chest will eventually de-spawn when all the spawn sites are taken. However, in reality, due to the unlikely scenario that all the available chest spawn sites would ever actually be occupied by half filled chests, this essentially means that a half filled chest, does not de-spawn.

It simply sits there, half filled with garbage, waiting to annoy the next person who happens upon it, looking for a lead or whatnot.

Loot your chests!

once opened, a chest takes about 5-10 minutes to despawn, and then you have to wait for another chest to spawn

so if your in a delve with a very small number of chest spawns, leaving 1 chest partially empty means it will take on avg 15 min for a new chest to show up, while if you fully loot the chest a new one could spawn in less than 5 minutes

i personally also dislike when people dont empty the chest out, ill usually still loot it though as its usually free decon stuff lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not push for ZOS to set the chest respawn timer the second they were lock-picked?

Wouldn’t this be the easiest solution? Just have the chest blink out a second before it would respawn.
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    BenTSG wrote: »
    What a can of worms you've opened up here OP, hah

Or is it an alchemy node of worms (somebody already harvested the reagent and alchemical resin)?