Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Official statement of ZOS about gear cap increase

• Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Xerton wrote: »
    SaRuZ wrote: »
    Wasn't this already so back with VR levels? VR6, VR12, etc?

The difference back then was, there was no such thing a maelstrom weapons for example.
    Those weapons are a completely new level of grind, never to be seen before!
    Morrowind is likely to come with new sets anyway so an CP180 cap will be the least problem for many sets.
    An general CP cap increase would probably be more balanced than adding a new sets who are better than existing in most roles.

You don't get it do you?
    EVERYTHING is scaled.
    So if they just added new sets that had the exact same powerlevel just with cp 180 it would not make any sense adding them in the first level, as you could just farm the old sets in cp 180 at that point.

So increasing the cap makes nooooooo sense at all. At least not if you don't want to *** people off.
    If that is your intention... be my guest, go ahead...
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

Officer of DRUCKWELLE (druckwelle-hq.de)
    Proud Member of Aquila Raiders - Raidgroup Hydra

~ Dro-m'Athra Destroyer ~
    ~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

vMoL HM (Nuke); vSO HM; vHRC HM; vAA HM; vDSA - cleared
    vMSA - cleared on all classes mag+stam
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZiRM wrote: »
    All those people with high end gear that they paid for or took the time to grind or make it. It's all for nothing...

It never for nothing ever mmorpg they increase the gear cap nothing new at all. Reason it's not for nothing is you get to enjoy ur character at its prime with best stats possible for ur build. Having something to work for is very important for an mmo I look forward to useing a higher lvl set and golden it out, I been rocking the same set for a long time now it's time to move on.
    Edited by FloppyTouch on 1 February 2017 11:15
    Options
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ]
    mewcatus wrote: »
    Bear in mind,

Yeah, Warden
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no problem with a gear cap increase, I happen to welcome it. Day 1 increase all cp160 to the new max. Add another temper or some mechanism to increase gear past cp160 after that. The increase is gonna happen, just please don't make it too painful for us.

Have you gone through the BiS gear grind?

I can't imagine that anyone who has would welcome an increase to the cap.
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All those people with high end gear that they paid for or took the time to grind or make it. It's all for nothing...

It never for nothing ever mmorpg they increase the gear cap nothing new at all. Reason it's not for nothing is you get to enjoy ur character at its prime with best stats possible for ur build. Having something to work for is very important for an mmo I look forward to useing a higher lvl set and golden it out, I been rocking the same set for a long time now it's time to move on.

Both One Tamriel and now Homestead brought major changes to gear. You should have changed your gear at least once in the past 6 months. Why are you still wearing the same gear? The progression is there if you want it.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on 1 February 2017 11:28
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... 4 topics about the same issue already...
    I hope ZOS will finally realize that this is important. People spend a LOT of time & recesses to get all of those CP160 set gear.
    If they are going to increase the gear level cap - the best way to do this is to automatically convert all current CP160 gear to "higher" level cap. The players will not lose their progress & time & resources. And we will have higher level gear. Everybody is happy.

btw. I was going to grind some group dungeon sets today, but until there will be some official ZOS statement I will basically stop grinding gear and just wait.
    Options
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    ]
    Bear in mind,

Yeah, Warden

4122370+_019e093557bb3610d6252474fb444850.jpg
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
    Options
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Both One Tamriel and now Homestead brought major changes to gear. You should have changed your gear at least once in the past 6 months. Why are you still wearing the same gear? The progression is there if you want it.

6 months is a long time just saying
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... 4 topics about the same issue already...
    I hope ZOS will finally realize that this is important. People spend a LOT of time & recesses to get all of those CP160 set gear.
    If they are going to increase the gear level cap - the best way to do this is to automatically convert all current CP160 gear to "higher" level cap. The players will not lose their progress & time & resources. And we will have higher level gear. Everybody is happy.

btw. I was going to grind some group dungeon sets today, but until there will be some official ZOS statement I will basically stop grinding gear and just wait.

There seems to be two camps in the debate:

- Casual gamers who want new numbers to chase as a means of artifical progression (they don't care about BiS and will wear crafted gear or gear with random traits)
    - Endgame players who need BiS gear in order to get high scores on trial runs or do well in PvP (they do not want to spend 500-1000+ hours grinding for new BiS gear)
    Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

6 months is a long time just saying

Is it?

Do you have your sharpened vMA weapons? Do you have a full set of dungeon gear in divines? Do you have a monster mask and shoulder in the right weight and trait? Do you have your gold trial jewellery and sharpened weapon?

I'll bet all my in-game gold that you don't have all, or even any, of these.

Why push for a gear cap increase when there is still so much progression left for you? It takes 6-12 months just to grind everything I listed there.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on 1 February 2017 11:39
    Options
  • Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    To once again bring things into perspective for the "more casual" players:
    It took me one year to get my current gear. One year in which i played more than i am willing to admit!
    I grinded vMsA like a maniac and still miss my last desired weapon: a sharpened bow.

Yes i have all the rest BiS but do you have even the slightest idea what a pain that was?

Or to make it even more clear: If i had played casually (5 days a week for maybe 2-3h) it would have taken me YEARS to get my current gear. YEARS!!!
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do they even achieve by raising the gear cap? If all content can be completed currently it's really pointless, it's just going to p*ss everyone off and make a lot of people quit.

I don't want to quit this game but it's taken me so long to get my gear across my 6 characters (I'm still not even finished I need a few pieces) I really don't have it in me to do it again. This is the one thing they should just leave
    Options
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Junipus wrote: »
    Bear in mind, increasing the gear gap means increasing overall dps. This means that an across the nerf to ability dps would be needed to even this out. Same for CP. It can already be seen they care about stat inflation, so rather then increase mob difficulty, class ability dps has to go down to make up for any increase.

So, be careful for what you wish for.

This.

They can scale it all they want, but it won't make much of a difference if gear is stuck on CP160. Giving us more CP means a bit of extra power for those at the top, but increasing the gear cap means more power to those at the bottom of the CP ladder.

It is coming and it's long overdue. 18 months with CP160 is more than enough time for those who are serious about farming gear to get what they need (within reason thanks to RNG) and those who are new or play too casually will be forever destined to chase because you shouldn't be in a position to have everything immediately.

Have you ever gone through the gear grind in this game?

It takes 500-1000+ hours to deck out a SINGLE character in BiS gear. It's by far the longest grind of any game in the industry. There is being a "hardcore" gamer and then there is being a masochist. There is no way I am doing that grind again. I'd rather leave the game and all the time and money I've poured into it than to put myself through that again. It's the opposite of fun, which is what a game should be.

I know I'm not alone in this sentiment.

Been playing since Beta and have a tank kitted in every set useful, 4 DDs kitted out with BiS weapons and armour and a healer with all the useful sets. Also a VMA sharpened inferno, bow, ice and lightning staff along with all in precise, defending Alkosh sword, reinforced alkosh shields, all sharpened vma 2h, precise 1h vma BiS weapons, BSW armour, SM armour, all monster sets in divines/impen including shoulders, vMOL jewels out the wazoo, IA sharpened lightning and pretty much everything else in some form to be competitive.

So yes I've gone through the gear grind in this game.

It still needs to have a gear cap increase otherwise the only solution for ZOS to keep everyone on a roughly even base is to nerf the damage of all abilities or to stop increasing the CP cap. Neither of those options are really ideal since it stops any feeling of progression and so bringing the bottom up towards the top instead of pulling the top down to the bottom is more effective.

I'm not looking forward to the gear grind again, but everyone will be in the same boat so all that will happen is a reversion to when IC was released.
    The Legendary Nothing
    Options
  • Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bear in mind, increasing the gear gap means increasing overall dps. This means that an across the nerf to ability dps would be needed to even this out. Same for CP. It can already be seen they care about stat inflation, so rather then increase mob difficulty, class ability dps has to go down to make up for any increase.

This.

They can scale it all they want, but it won't make much of a difference if gear is stuck on CP160. Giving us more CP means a bit of extra power for those at the top, but increasing the gear cap means more power to those at the bottom of the CP ladder.

It is coming and it's long overdue. 18 months with CP160 is more than enough time for those who are serious about farming gear to get what they need (within reason thanks to RNG) and those who are new or play too casually will be forever destined to chase because you shouldn't be in a position to have everything immediately.

It takes 500-1000+ hours to deck out a SINGLE character in BiS gear. It's by far the longest grind of any game in the industry. There is being a "hardcore" gamer and then there is being a masochist. There is no way I am doing that grind again. I'd rather leave the game and all the time and money I've poured into it than to put myself through that again. It's the opposite of fun, which is what a game should be.

Been playing since Beta and have a tank kitted in every set useful, 4 DDs kitted out with BiS weapons and armour and a healer with all the useful sets. Also a VMA sharpened inferno, bow, ice and lightning staff along with all in precise, defending Alkosh sword, reinforced alkosh shields, all sharpened vma 2h, precise 1h vma BiS weapons, BSW armour, SM armour, all monster sets in divines/impen including shoulders, vMOL jewels out the wazoo, IA sharpened lightning and pretty much everything else in some form to be competitive.

It still needs to have a gear cap increase otherwise the only solution for ZOS to keep everyone on a roughly even base is to nerf the damage of all abilities or to stop increasing the CP cap. Neither of those options are really ideal since it stops any feeling of progression and so bringing the bottom up towards the top instead of pulling the top down to the bottom is more effective.

I'm not looking forward to the gear grind again, but everyone will be in the same boat so all that will happen is a reversion to when IC was released.

How would that bring people on even grounds?
    Those who are to bad to get any of that gear you mentioned won't get it then either.
    So ALL you have achieved is people being p*ssed and leaving the game
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

Options
  • Chadak
    Chadak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I'm really hearing here is a whole cargo ship full of people pleading "Chadak, Chadak, please hoard tempers and resins in quantity to sell in the gearing frenzy immediately following Morrowind's release!"

I'm also hearing little shrieks of '9 trait crafting is going to be even more profitable in 5 months!'

I'm kinda new and have no history in MMO's of ever putting a lot of work into getting BiS anything. I'm not particularly competetive with anyone but myself, I couldn't possibly care less about leaderboards and pvp bores me once the novelty wears off.

But making money never gets dull. Never ever.

I warmly welcome a CP increase. Make me rich.
    Edited by Chadak on 1 February 2017 12:10
    Options
  • boundsy88
    boundsy88
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly feel that ESO is the most grindy MMO for gear that ive ever seen. compared to other MMO's that have been labelled "too grindy", where you can literally just buy the BiS gear while at the same time those sets will do you from the minute you get them to the end of the MMO's lifespan. ESO is not like this.

I concider myself lucky with my vMA grind. having probably only needed about 70 or so runs at the least to get every single BiS weapon. but some people have not even had half this luck and ran it 200 times for absolutely nothing.

When they changed the cap to vr16 nobody really cared, because the gear grind pre IC wasnt that big a deal. monster sets werent essential for any build and the BiS gear was all crafted. Times have changed and with One tamriel making all the BiS sets BoP, they literally cannot expect us to sit back and raise the cap of the gear we spent months farming.
    Options
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xerton wrote: »

This.

How would that bring people on even grounds?
    Those who are to bad to get any of that gear you mentioned won't get it then either.
    So ALL you have achieved is people being p*ssed and leaving the game

I don't agree with it, but as you said those people who aren't good enough to get the current gear won't get the new one and so they're not included.

Those who are good enough will have to start the gear grind again but the alternative is we keep CP160 gear, get given more CP every update but have to see our abilities nerfed since the content doesn't scale to any higher difficulty. Scaling everything, including gear, to CP200 (for example) would make those at CP600 more powerful but also boost those at CP300 to be closer to CP600 players in power without having to nerf everything.

ZOS are balancing those pissed off with gear grind and those pissed off with constant nerfing. Whichever one is the smallest group loses to the other when ZOS makes their decisions.
    The Legendary Nothing
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems ppl are trying to make something extra off a comment

If the gear is inscreasing, it should be in the expansion detail and not in a comment in another language.

I'll just wait for actual and clear details vs using speculation from a comment that could be taken in a few different ways due to how languages don't translate conveyed thoughts
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A gear cap increase with Morrowind?
    ZOS, please give us solid information about that.

I would not buy an expansion devaluating months of playing. My free time is limited. This year, I have to decide between playing ESO or the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2. I am inclined to stay with ESO, because I already love that game. But having to grind months again to get the best gear? Sorry no, then I rather would prefer a new game.

Edited by BalticBlues on 1 February 2017 12:19
    Options
  • Jimbullbee85
    Jimbullbee85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they could auto upgrade all cp160 purple and golden gear in our inventory to cp180 aslong as the character is cp180 or higher. They did say they weren't going to do this thoughtlessly which should be a good sign.
    Jimbullbee, Templar healer battlemage
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just share this

When asked long ago they said cp160 was how they represented the old Vr system that they couldn't completely remove

They then said going forward that progression would come via new items and cp caps

If they change that statement, it conveys more distrust. Can we not create that idea until something official is listed
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gear levels in this game are almost completely pointless with the scaling. It is just there to give you something to do. Raising it would just be their way of telling everyone, we know we did not make anything worth doing, so here, do this instead.
    Options
  • RiverDan
    RiverDan
    I better be able to increase all my 160 gear very quickkly and painlessly. If I ever have to grind again for gear I have already grinded for. I would have to stop playing this game. And I love this game.
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe they could auto upgrade all cp160 purple and golden gear in our inventory to cp180 aslong as the character is cp180 or higher. They did say they weren't going to do this thoughtlessly which should be a good sign.

One obvious route to do this is via the Morrowind quest line (assuming an Item CP cap increase happens).

Have certain quests reward an Item Upgrade Token, that allows a CP160 Item to be upgraded to a CP170, or CP180 item.

The way to maximise the feeling of Gear Progression would be to have almost every quest reward such a token, and then increase the Item CP cap to, for example, CP200, and have each token add 10 CP levels.

It would thus take 4 completed quests to upgrade I piece of gear.

Alternatively have fewer tokens dropped from Quests and some drop from Delve / Dungeon bosses so that players may need to replay that content to get enough tokens to fully upgrade their gear set.

I think a CP Item increase is inevitable at some point soon; but I fully understand why people would feel very, very anxious about it.

There are multiple mechanism ZOS could use to alleviate that anxiety.

The obvious other route is to go for Horizontal Progression rather than Vertical.

Allow us to add a 2nd Trait for example. Or use Morrowinf to introduce Jewelcrafting and allow Gems to be slotted to CP 160 Items to give an extra bonus or effect.

However, we ll have to accept that with 1T level balancing any Item CP increase will, ultimately, only leave us as powerful as we are now.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please ZOS do not raise the gear cap. There is no reason to. Don't listen to the people that say it has to be done then provide no actual reasons other than everyone else does it. Use your brains and think about it. It's not a progression at all.
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe ZOS will simply introduce some gear upgrade method ? So you will be able to just upgrade CP 160 gear to w

One obvious route to do this is via the Morrowind quest line (assuming an Item CP cap increase happens).

Have certain quests reward an Item Upgrade Token, that allows a CP160 Item to be upgraded to a CP170, or CP180 item.

The way to maximise the feeling of Gear Progression would be to have almost every quest reward such a token, and then increase the Item CP cap to, for example, CP200, and have each token add 10 CP levels.

It would thus take 4 completed quests to upgrade I piece of gear.

Alternatively have fewer tokens dropped from Quests and some drop from Delve / Dungeon bosses so that players may need to replay that content to get enough tokens to fully upgrade their gear set.

I think a CP Item increase is inevitable at some point soon; but I fully understand why people would feel very, very anxious about it.

There are multiple mechanism ZOS could use to alleviate that anxiety.

The obvious other route is to go for Horizontal Progression rather than Vertical.

Allow us to add a 2nd Trait for example. Or use Morrowinf to introduce Jewelcrafting and allow Gems to be slotted to CP 160 Items to give an extra bonus or effect.

However, we ll have to accept that with 1T level balancing any Item CP increase will, ultimately, only leave us as powerful as we are now.

All The Best

Assuming that higher level gear will drop only in new Morrowind zone, then it is fine, but it probably be a global change, affecting all the items in game. So having a requirement to buy new DLC to upgrade your gear - it is a terrible idea.
    Options
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭

You must not have a lot of gear.
    Options
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Flameheart wrote: »
    Kai Schober's respond says nothing and everything. Actually it's an evidence that raising the gear cap is a current topic for Morrowind but still undecided and it gives a hint, that there might be some sort of "compensation". The later one might be everything again, complete new sets and weapons, which are so powerful, that all former gear will just pale in comparison, or an alternative method to upgrade existing weapons and gear by crafting.

I played loads of MMOs. Level and gear cap raises are a part of MMOs. My issue is not farming in general, my concern is farming in this game while enduring this special RNG and trait-lotto here. While you may replace gear by crafted CP 180 variants (or whatever the new gear cap might be) relatively fast (you will loose the alloys and waxes though), the concern is mostly directed to 5-set-bonus-set-weapons (Aether staffs etc.), vMSA and master weapons. Those weapons just take too long to farm them again, besides the issue that you have to run already loathed content over and over again.

So I think I will wait with my prepurchase til this issue will be clarified.

This is exactly what I thought about.

I was super excited and super hyped for Morrowind until I saw Kai's response... and my whole excitement suddenly disappeared. I will preorder the upgrade only when it is clear whether there will be a gear cap increase and if yes, whether we will be granted an opportunity to upgrade our legendary/dropped gear accordingly.

Please, @ZOS_GinaBruno give us some insight on this...
    Options
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course it's going to happen, but if Rich Lambert stays true to his word it will not be a huge increase, that it what he said but with all things they are subject to change might as well just wait an see no use in getting stressed over it, it will be what it will be when it happens :)
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »
    Flameheart wrote: »
    Kai Schober's respond says nothing and everything. Actually it's an evidence that raising the gear cap is a current topic for Morrowind but still undecided and it gives a hint, that there might be some sort of "compensation". The later one might be everything again, complete new sets and weapons, which are so powerful, that all former gear will just pale in comparison, or an alternative method to upgrade existing weapons and gear by crafting.

I played loads of MMOs. Level and gear cap raises are a part of MMOs. My issue is not farming in general, my concern is farming in this game while enduring this special RNG and trait-lotto here. While you may replace gear by crafted CP 180 variants (or whatever the new gear cap might be) relatively fast (you will loose the alloys and waxes though), the concern is mostly directed to 5-set-bonus-set-weapons (Aether staffs etc.), vMSA and master weapons. Those weapons just take too long to farm them again, besides the issue that you have to run already loathed content over and over again.

So I think I will wait with my prepurchase til this issue will be clarified.

This is exactly what I thought about.

I was super excited and super hyped for Morrowind until I saw Kai's response... and my whole excitement suddenly disappeared. I will preorder the upgrade only when it is clear whether there will be a gear cap increase and if yes, whether we will be granted an opportunity to upgrade our legendary/dropped gear accordingly.

Please, @ZOS_GinaBruno give us some insight on this...

I'm also holding off on my preorder until I hear an official response. This is something that should have been included with the release info yesterday but they are holding back hoping a bunch of people will preorder then hit them with the slap to the face. I'll hold my money back until I see there is a reason to give it to them.
    Options