Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official statement of ZOS about gear cap increase

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course it's going to happen, but if Rich Lambert stays true to his word it will not be a huge increase, that it what he said but with all things they are subject to change might as well just wait an see no use in getting stressed over it, it will be what it will be when it happens :)

The size of the increase doesn't matter. Any increase, however small, will force serious endgame PvE and PvP players to spend another 1000 hours grinding gear.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on 1 February 2017 13:00
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »
    Flameheart wrote: »
    Kai Schober's respond says nothing and everything. Actually it's an evidence that raising the gear cap is a current topic for Morrowind but still undecided and it gives a hint, that there might be some sort of "compensation". The later one might be everything again, complete new sets and weapons, which are so powerful, that all former gear will just pale in comparison, or an alternative method to upgrade existing weapons and gear by crafting.

I played loads of MMOs. Level and gear cap raises are a part of MMOs. My issue is not farming in general, my concern is farming in this game while enduring this special RNG and trait-lotto here. While you may replace gear by crafted CP 180 variants (or whatever the new gear cap might be) relatively fast (you will loose the alloys and waxes though), the concern is mostly directed to 5-set-bonus-set-weapons (Aether staffs etc.), vMSA and master weapons. Those weapons just take too long to farm them again, besides the issue that you have to run already loathed content over and over again.

So I think I will wait with my prepurchase til this issue will be clarified.

This is exactly what I thought about.

I was super excited and super hyped for Morrowind until I saw Kai's response... and my whole excitement suddenly disappeared. I will preorder the upgrade only when it is clear whether there will be a gear cap increase and if yes, whether we will be granted an opportunity to upgrade our legendary/dropped gear accordingly.

Please, @ZOS_GinaBruno give us some insight on this...

I'm also holding off on my preorder until I hear an official response. This is something that should have been included with the release info yesterday but they are holding back hoping a bunch of people will preorder then hit them with the slap to the face. I'll hold my money back until I see there is a reason to give it to them.

If they increase the cap, I won't just not pre-order, I'll be done with the game. I'll give all my gold away to the poor.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on 1 February 2017 13:03
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kai Schober's respond says nothing and everything. Actually it's an evidence that raising the gear cap is a current topic for Morrowind but still undecided and it gives a hint, that there might be some sort of "compensation". The later one might be everything again, complete new sets and weapons, which are so powerful, that all former gear will just pale in comparison, or an alternative method to upgrade existing weapons and gear by crafting.

I played loads of MMOs. Level and gear cap raises are a part of MMOs. My issue is not farming in general, my concern is farming in this game while enduring this special RNG and trait-lotto here. While you may replace gear by crafted CP 180 variants (or whatever the new gear cap might be) relatively fast (you will loose the alloys and waxes though), the concern is mostly directed to 5-set-bonus-set-weapons (Aether staffs etc.), vMSA and master weapons. Those weapons just take too long to farm them again, besides the issue that you have to run already loathed content over and over again.

I was super excited and super hyped for Morrowind until I saw Kai's response... and my whole excitement suddenly disappeared. I will preorder the upgrade only when it is clear whether there will be a gear cap increase and if yes, whether we will be granted an opportunity to upgrade our legendary/dropped gear accordingly.

I'm also holding off on my preorder until I hear an official response. This is something that should have been included with the release info yesterday but they are holding back hoping a bunch of people will preorder then hit them with the slap to the face. I'll hold my money back until I see there is a reason to give it to them.

If they increase the cap, I won't just not pre-order, I'll be done with the game. I'll give all my gold away to the poor.

You won't be the only one. If I have to start a grind over, there is no better time to find another game to start over with.
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I have everyone's stuff?

Will use the gold to buy all the new scaled gear or pay others to farm it B)
    The Legendary Nothing
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they could auto upgrade all cp160 purple and golden gear in our inventory to cp180 aslong as the character is cp180 or higher. They did say they weren't going to do this thoughtlessly which should be a good sign.

One obvious route to do this is via the Morrowind quest line (assuming an Item CP cap increase happens).

Have certain quests reward an Item Upgrade Token, that allows a CP160 Item to be upgraded to a CP170, or CP180 item.

The way to maximise the feeling of Gear Progression would be to have almost every quest reward such a token, and then increase the Item CP cap to, for example, CP200, and have each token add 10 CP levels.

It would thus take 4 completed quests to upgrade I piece of gear.

Alternatively have fewer tokens dropped from Quests and some drop from Delve / Dungeon bosses so that players may need to replay that content to get enough tokens to fully upgrade their gear set.

I think a CP Item increase is inevitable at some point soon; but I fully understand why people would feel very, very anxious about it.

There are multiple mechanism ZOS could use to alleviate that anxiety.

The obvious other route is to go for Horizontal Progression rather than Vertical.

Allow us to add a 2nd Trait for example. Or use Morrowinf to introduce Jewelcrafting and allow Gems to be slotted to CP 160 Items to give an extra bonus or effect.

However, we ll have to accept that with 1T level balancing any Item CP increase will, ultimately, only leave us as powerful as we are now.

All The Best

And no worries, if you dont want to quest for those tokens or grind them out off monsters, they are just a click away in the store!
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on 1 February 2017 13:07
  • CloneTrooper699
    CloneTrooper699
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should add a crafting item that increases item level, then make that item only available as a reward for completing master crafting writs. That way people who grinded can keep their set trait gear and Maelstrom weapons and only have to fork out gold to upgrade. This will also make Master Crafting writs more valuable and crafting more sought after.
    I'm a goat
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point of raising it though if everything is the same level?
  • CloneTrooper699
    CloneTrooper699
    ✭✭✭
    ohhh wait, I just realized that all good armor and weapons are bind on equip, well there go's that idea. I guess you could upgrade your own armor but then everyone would become a crafter and that would devalue crafters. Hey ZOS any chance crafters can upgrade things bound to other players.
    I'm a goat
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can see me calling it a day if they raise the cap, a lot of us don't have all that much time to play and it's taken along time to get the gear I have now, I'm not going back to grinding

You're playing an MMO so you are always grinding. Why is having to get new gear an issue. Why else do you play a high fantasy MMO if not for the pursuit of finding new stuff.

If you've had that CP160 stuff for over a year aren't kinda hoping to get the excitement of opening a chest and possibly getting an upgrade again?
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katinas wrote: »
    If not Morrowind update to increase gear cap, then when? 2020? Or a random Monday maintenance when no big updates are introduced?
    Please ZOS, use this opportunity and increase caps with Morrowind update. This is absolutely huge update with so much new content. What better opportunity if not this one?

No. They don't have to increase anything if they choose not to. I'm sure the vast majority of players are against a gear cap rise.

@Alcast needed 9 months of grinding vmaw to get sharpened moondancer swords for his templar. Do you have any idea how pissed off we would be to go through that kind of rng again? What about those players that needed 500 runs of vma to get the sharpened inferno staff?

I say keep the gear cp 160 for good and progress through cp only, along with new sets that are so awesome everyone will play the new content. We're already going to be busy grinding the new warden class through mages guild, undaunted and skyshards. That'll keep us busy for long enough.

No need to regrind all our gear for ALL our characters. People will leave.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see me calling it a day if they raise the cap, a lot of us don't have all that much time to play and it's taken along time to get the gear I have now, I'm not going back to grinding

You're playing an MMO so you are always grinding. Why is having to get new gear an issue. Why else do you play a high fantasy MMO if not for the pursuit of finding new stuff.

If you've had that CP160 stuff for over a year aren't kinda hoping to get the excitement of opening a chest and possibly getting an upgrade again?

You should have upgraded your gear after TG and One Tamriel and might need to upgrade again after Homestead. All that without a gear cap increase.

And where it might take 100 hours to farm new BiS gear in WoW, it can take over 1000 hours in ESO. The RNG system in this game results in a more grueling grind than any other MMO. That's why people hate the idea.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on 1 February 2017 13:23
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nyx2 wrote: »
    Maybe they could auto upgrade all cp160 purple and golden gear in our inventory to cp180 aslong as the character is cp180 or higher. They did say they weren't going to do this thoughtlessly which should be a good sign.

One obvious route to do this is via the Morrowind quest line (assuming an Item CP cap increase happens).

Have certain quests reward an Item Upgrade Token, that allows a CP160 Item to be upgraded to a CP170, or CP180 item.

You must not have a lot of gear.

Last I checked we can only wear on full set of armour, carry up to two weapons (4 if you bar swap between two x dual wield) and wear three bits of jewelry.

So a full set of gear comprises up to 14 pieces.

If you CHOOSE to want more than that the onus is on you to put in the extra work to keep your gear up to par.

Don't whine about a secondary or tertiary gear-grind you CHOSE.

All The Best
    Edited by Gandrhulf_Harbard on 1 February 2017 13:26
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But you wouldnt be finding new gear. You would just be finding the same gear all over again...

And before someone goes there, if morrowind comes with new gear that is worth it, there would be even less reason to raise the cap since people would have to grind that out anyway. So please no, but Morrowind will have new gear you need to grind so it will be new!
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. I would really want to know if all gear i grinded is going to be obsolete. Also I would like to know if there is any point in grinding CP 160 gear (right now I suspended all gear grinding till there is some official ZOS respond for this issue).
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am for a gear cap increase along with the ability to upgrade gear level with the new tier mats. Good for economy but don't need to refarm sets.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    I am for a gear cap increase along with the ability to upgrade gear level with the new tier mats. Good for economy but don't need to refarm sets.

@Rex-Umbra
    What would the actual point of it be?

Just to place ppl to do more runs...cause the increase isn't much from cp150 to cp160 and Vr is conceivably removed from the game which is the only reason we have this cp 160 idea
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you wouldnt be finding new gear. You would just be finding the same gear all over again...

And before someone goes there, if morrowind comes with new gear that is worth it, there would be even less reason to raise the cap since people would have to grind that out anyway. So please no, but Morrowind will have new gear you need to grind so it will be new!

This. One tamriel was a huge success because of all the new sets that came out and the old sets brought back at max level. It kept many players busy grinding for months.

I needed 4-6 months to finally get my 2 sharpened rattlecage swords. I WILL NOT DO THAT GRIND AGAIN. I also got lucky with the orsinium double loot and score a sharpened vma inferno staff. I doubt I'll have that luck again.

Grinding for new sets is what makes us play the game, not the same old sets at a higher level.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • DuckNoodles
    DuckNoodles
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope, they make master crafters viable again, by letting master crafters upgrade old gear to lvl cap. Adding a passive ability.

Maby adding special required stones to upgrade each piece of gear.

• nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gear cap increase? In an MMO? I don't believe it!
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@Rex-Umbra

Just to place ppl to do more runs...cause the increase isn't much from cp150 to cp160 and Vr is conceivably removed from the game which is the only reason we have this cp 160 idea

Some form of gear creep is needed to keep the player economy going. The economy is slowing down a lot right now. Homestead will boost it but general materials and gear will continue to drop. Cap increase alongside an gear upgrade feature would be a massive economic injection. Would be great for new players too, say you found a weapon in an awesome set early on, you could continue to upgrade it as you level. I would like a restyling feature alongside this as well.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why so many talk about cap increase?

Gear reset will come and is needed, the question is only about form - new cap or new more powerful sets. Top players will have to regrind anyway, so honestly I don't think their opinion means a lot, average players will be affected much more.

IMHO, cap increase can use some mechanisms to reduce grind so it is preferable option.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they do increase the gearcap, and my hardearned gear through hours of pve grind (and im a pvper) becomes subpar to the new gear, im opting out of the game and will donate my entire collection of outdated gear to random passerbyes.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope, they make master crafters viable again, by letting master crafters upgrade old gear to lvl cap. Adding a passive ability.

Maby adding special required stones to upgrade each piece of gear.

The problem I have with all the statements like this? The magic bean, key, token, rock whatever you need to upgrade will show up in the crown store, and be a very very very low drop rate in the world.
  • Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soella wrote: »
    Why so many talk about cap increase?

Gear reset will come and is needed, the question is only about form - new cap or new more powerful sets. Top players will have to regrind anyway, so honestly I don't think their opinion means a lot, average players will be affected much more.

IMHO, cap increase can use some mechanisms to reduce grind so it is preferable option.

Au contraire! The average player actually won't be affected by this at all as he/she does not care about his/her gear as it does not matter for the kind of content they want to play.

We 'top players' are the only ones really affected by this.
    Because we would be forced to go through the most tedious grind i know yet again.
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

Officer of DRUCKWELLE (druckwelle-hq.de)
    Proud Member of Aquila Raiders - Raidgroup Hydra

~ Dro-m'Athra Destroyer ~
    ~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

vMoL HM (Nuke); vSO HM; vHRC HM; vAA HM; vDSA - cleared
    vMSA - cleared on all classes mag+stam
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nermy wrote: »
    Gear cap rises come to any MMO

I want to highlight this sentence in the quote and point out the following:

1) many of us came here because this game was unlike other MMOs
    2) Some of us prefer an MMO without the gear grund at every expac (star wars galaxies pulled it off and was the best MMO to date)
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nermy wrote: »
    Gear cap rises come to any MMO

I want to highlight this sentence in the quote and point out the following:

1) many of us came here because this game was unlike other MMOs
    2) Some of us prefer an MMO without the gear grund at every expac (star wars galaxies pulled it off and was the best MMO to date)

Guild Wars 2 is another game that doesnt do the gear grind. Heck they had a new expansion and i didnt even have to change my gear.
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on 1 February 2017 14:05
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SaRuZ wrote: »
    Would it be that hard to raise the cap of gear we already have? 160 Mael wep raised to 220 in your inventory? They did it with the transition between VR16 to 160CP, makes a lot more sense so the new sets will be desirable just like 1T's were.

Then the question would be why bother doing a Cap raise!
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because you know, I want to play the game doing what I enjoy doing not running the same dungeon 3million times to get something I want.. I play it because I like PvP not because I enjoy doing the same repetitive ***.

I haven't had my CP160 stuff a year, I've had a lot of if since the grind fest that was one tamriel, and I don't intend to do it again
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rex-Umbra

Some form of gear creep is needed to keep the player economy going. The economy is slowing down a lot right now. Homestead will boost it but general materials and gear will continue to drop. Cap increase alongside an gear upgrade feature would be a massive economic injection. Would be great for new players too, say you found a weapon in an awesome set early on, you could continue to upgrade it as you level. I would like a restyling feature alongside this as well.

@Rex-Umbra

I disagree and consider more that the housing update implants a major addition to the economy

There isn't any value or benefit for ZOS to go back and redo all zones and quests again after having just completed One Tamriel

Gear upgrading in terms of levels....I also disagree

All of this goes against what they just said Friday inn eSO Live. Basically that they are working to bring outstanding things closer together in terms of balance. In the same talk Rich and Wrobel point blank said they wouldn't want to increase because they wouldn't want to go rebalance the whole game over and over again

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reasons I could see for them to increase the gear cap would be...

...they ditch the One Tamriel design and return to a model with content tuned to different gear / CP levels (not likely)

OR

...they reset all gear just to add an artificial time sink to the game as everyone has to grind out gear again (likely)

As long as the entire game world and all players are scaled to the same level, a gear reset does nothing except artificially add a new grind (time sink) for players to obtain new versions of old gear.

In the other MMOs that have gear resets, new content is being added concurrently with new gear, and the new content is tuned to higher player level / gear ratings (level / gear progression).

WoW doesn't just reset gear and re-scale old content, they reset gear by releasing new content tuned to higher player levels and / or higher gear ratings that provides new higher gear (new sets and such).

Oh and as far as major Western titles, not one single game I've played has anywhere near the level of absurd RNG as in ESO.

I'm all for forward progression (as in new gear obtained through new content with reasonable methods to obtain) - but I'll be damned if I'm going to repeat the same content for the same sets (just with a higher level) using the same crappy RNG system just to tread water.
    Edited by Dawnblade on 1 February 2017 14:40