Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Combatting Gold Spammers on the Forums

• Lalaeith
    Lalaeith
    ✭✭✭
    May 18th: demonuik sent you a message, adressed other names starting with 'L'
    Today: fghqweefhrtj sent you a message
  • Rutes
    Rutes
    ✭✭
    bjwrthedfghdfq sent you a message
  • hoesmaarten
    'laozhang' sent me a gold spam message (Tue, May 20, 2014 at 7:46 AM).
  • P.Hoffmann-C.Schlaakneb18_ESO
    jkfjkereio
    knightangle
  • mtaff072b16_ESO
    knighthaha
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I received a message through the community@elderscrollsonline.com email from a "user" named knighthaha.

I will not post the content of the mail message here, due to the clear violations of the code of conduct and terms of use. However, per your request for the name and nature of the violation, I will say that it directed me to a gold seller website named ggatm.

If you require the full content of the email message I received, please notify me and I will be happy to forward the entirety of the message.

To: @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ ; @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ :
    Please forward a copy of this post to the appropriate parties:

The legal department of Zenimax should look into this matter.
    Here are some of the things I see that are worth note:

1) The "other company", connected with the website listed above, has repeatedly violated the previously agreed upon rules of the service provided by Zenimax, as well as any and all contracts relating to receipt of said service. By doing so, the "other company" has likely created a direct increase in the operating costs of Zenimax, the service provider.

2) Zenimax has lost, or could lose, a number of paying customers due to the violations of the "other company".

3) The public reputation of the Service, and the Service Provider, Zenimax, may be irreparably damaged by the previous, current, and future actions of the "other company".

Disclaimer: The above should not be construed, in any way, as legal advice. The above is a suggestion to Zenimax to pursue qualified legal advice on the matter.

Here is some tech advice that does not require a disclaimer:
    If you Ban their IP addresses at the server level, they will go away permanently, quickly, and without further legal action.

Thank you Zenimax for addressing these issues,
    Greg
    Edited by GTech_1 on 20 May 2014 18:30
  • jchallenub17_ESO
    dgfwerwerwe sent me a message. =(
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that more is going to be done about these people than just banning them as all they'll do is set up another account and do the same again!
    We can assure you that we are working to solve this issue in a way that will prevent exactly that type of behavior.

So why then are threads that are obviously helping you do this being 'sunk' on the forums?
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Eryndae
    Eryndae
    rtyfgbhfgh sent you a message

Not that cut and paste is such a chore, but could there be an email address to forward these to? WoW has one. : >
  • N_Hearthcroft
    Sent May 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM - this notification was e-mailed to my personal e-mail.

sdfgdfhwqwhdfh sent you a message
    *** is the most secure place to buy Elder Scrolls Gold.
    Very low price
    Instant Delivery.
    This company has very good reputation, selling in-game currencies since 2005.
    100% Handwork Guaranteed!
    7/24 Customer Service!

Warm Regards, the ***
    8:43AM

I noticed from their profile that they joined today, May 20, 2014 at 8:22 AM and that they were last active at 9:40 AM. And that they are banned - thank you.
    Noreen Hearthcroft | Daggerfall Covenant | Hopesfire Campaign
  • Sli780Ti
    Sli780Ti
    Soul Shriven
    fghqweefhrtj sent you a message...

GTech_1 wrote: »
    To: @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ ; @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ :
    Please forward a copy of this post to the appropriate parties:

The legal department of Zenimax should look into this matter.
    Here are some of the things I see that are worth note:

1) The "other company", connected with the website listed above, has repeatedly violated the previously agreed upon rules of the service provided by Zenimax, as well as any and all contracts relating to receipt of said service. By doing so, the "other company" has likely created a direct increase in the operating costs of Zenimax, the service provider.

2) Zenimax has lost, or could lose, a number of paying customers due to the violations of the "other company".

3) The public reputation of the Service, and the Service Provider, Zenimax, may be irreparably damaged by the previous, current, and future actions of the "other company".

Disclaimer: The above should not be construed, in any way, as legal advice. The above is a suggestion to Zenimax to pursue qualified legal advice on the matter.

Here is some tech advice that does not require a disclaimer:
    If you Ban their IP addresses at the server level, they will go away permanently, quickly, and without further legal action.

Thank you Zenimax for addressing these issues,
    Greg

I do wonder if legal action can be made...

In game spam in the chat, yeah yeah.. you start to get use to it after playing a few mmo's, but when the spam continues when I'm not in game, not cool...

Now where's the setting to turn off all PM's... :neutral_face:
  • PinkNanabear
    I was asked to copy and past the message. Since this is not an option, here is a screenshot, I hope I am not violating the privacy rights but since this seems to be an exception, here it is. The name of the spammer is yultm but shows as onsetfemw
  • Absynthe
    Absynthe
    ✭✭
    sdfwerwer sent you a message
    Very low price
    Instant Delivery.
    7/24 Customer Service!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dedewrew sent you a message
    Very low price
    Instant Delivery.
    7/24 Customer Service!
    Leonine Tigeress
  • PinkNanabear
    Another spam message...
  • GTech_1
    GTech_1
    ✭✭✭✭
    @dianamorawskib14_ESO‌ The images are too small to read
    Edited by GTech_1 on 28 May 2014 13:14
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Hi @dianamorawskib14_ESO‌, when reading an in-game mail, there should be an option listed at the bottom of the screen to "report player." Click this, and you'll be brought to the in-game report system, with the sender listed as the one you are reporting. This is the best way to alert us to in-game spammers - this thread is really just intended for people abusing the forum's PM system.
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    Hello everyone, we’ve brought the PM system back on-line, and taken additional precautions against PM spammers. We’re bumping this thread in case the problem returns, and there are new spammers to report.

Additionally, we have also switched off email notifications for PMs for all accounts. We hope to bring this back as an option shortly, that everyone can choose to enable.
    Edited by ZOS_AlanG on 30 May 2014 14:56
    Forum Rules | Promoting Constructive Discussion | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Help Site

I’ve moved to a new position and I am no longer active on this forum. For assistance, please check the resources linked above
    Staff Post
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recipients are limited to 1 and email notification is off. Pretty smart - I doubt the spammers will bother if email notification is off as most people won't see the messages now.
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlanG, this hasn't been done correctly. Somebody just sent me a PM, it emailed me.
  • AryaWythers
    AryaWythers
    ✭✭✭
    This has got to be one of the biggest jokes in MMO history....did incompetent ZoS employees invite more GOLD SELLERS to target their customers in the forums? Never have I seen an MMO that lets Gold Sellers target the Forums before....Gratz not only have you ruined the PvP aspect of your game but have given the Bots and Gold Sellers so much power.
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didn't manually invite gold settings, when you sign up to the game you get an automatic email invite for the forum.
  • AryaWythers
    AryaWythers
    ✭✭✭
    Oh got it now...but still never seen so many Gold-Sellers in any other game. Just makes my a little uneasy about the security of my personal info, when I see them in the forums and blasting me with mail in-game also.
  • GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh got it now...but still never seen so many Gold-Sellers in any other game. Just makes my a little uneasy about the security of my personal info, when I see them in the forums and blasting me with mail in-game also.

The account system is separate the payment processor system (3rd party), which is separate to the game system (just username/password synced), which is separate to the forum system (3rd party).

I have issues with how Zenimax is handling things (newbie company, understandable) but security is not one of them. They hire some top talent in security.
    Edited by GossiTheDog on 30 May 2014 15:52
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    @ZOS_AlanG, this hasn't been done correctly. Somebody just sent me a PM, it emailed me.
    We are currently investigating email notifications still coming through for PMs. If anyone else is still receiving these, please let us know in this thread.

Staff Post
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    The option to receive email notifications for PMs has been brought back, but it should be turned off by default for all accounts. If you wish to receive these notifications, you can re-enable them by going here and selecting “Notification Preferences” on the left menu bar.

Staff Post
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't receive a notification through e-mail of any PM but sure enough I did get a goldseller message on May 19 from "dehjdfkds". Contents of message were exactly the same as what other users reported.
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • ZOS_AlanG
    ZOS_AlanG
    admin
    We have pinned a thread in this section about the new PM restrictions. We have refrained from detailing these, as we don't want spammers to know what is necessary to bypass them.

Staff Post
  • Zabus
    Zabus
    ✭✭✭✭
    dhfjdhfjs sent you a message
    Zavus - Khajiit Nightblade EP | AR 50
    Zāv - Imperial Templar | AR 24
    Zavbags - Argonian Nightblade EP | AR 19
    Zabus - Redguard Nightblade DC | AR 13
    Negate Three - Breton Sorcerer EP | AR 19
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    Hi @dianamorawskib14_ESO‌, when reading an in-game mail, there should be an option listed at the bottom of the screen to "report player." Click this, and you'll be brought to the in-game report system, with the sender listed as the one you are reporting. This is the best way to alert us to in-game spammers - this thread is really just intended for people abusing the forum's PM system.

I've done that with every spammer whose emailed me.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Elki_Wilderglas
    I recieved gold spam from this profile
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/profile/4845296/rtyfgbhfgh

Posted my suggestion on the pinned thread
    Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.