Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• Crismac
    Crismac
    ✭✭✭
    I have been kicked 6 times today with server errors. It does get tiresome.
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    Crismac wrote: »
    I have been kicked 6 times today with server errors. It does get tiresome.

I've seen similar and have multiple errors trying to login.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Icy @ZOS_Bill @ZOS_Adrikoth @ZOS_KaiSchober Any kind of update on this issue? No resolution on the 'DDOS' problem?

Where can we get updates on what steps are being taken to resolve this issue?

yeah last night was terrrrrrible. I was just sitting in my house making tweaks to my build and I had constant 999+ ping spikes throughout the night.
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    5nqafnfrt3xf.png

PC EU, booted unexpectedly during the visit to Vivek outlaw refuge, the banker. And can't get in. Verified game files and still didn't work. Hasn't happened to me in months, and back then verifying the files helped.
    Also, ping is still hightened most times, so that issue is still persisting, as well as lag spikes and all things described in this topic. It's sad.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night our trial group was doing vet Cloudrest and we were unable to finish because players often couldn't synergize the spot to jump up to the balcony and there was a delay in the spears going up then back down. A couple of times a player up top would say spear down and the group in the basement would never see it.
    Cloudrest is always glitchy but last night was really bad.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    I think what is most "interesting" (not sure if that's the right word) to me is that this isn't isolated. When Markarth dropped, PC got the update first, and performance was appalling. Then we got it on console and performance was bad. However, PC got fixed next patch, then console.

This is different. It's hitting all platforms, all servers. From PS/NA to PC/EU. So, this is a likely a huge issue, which I can understand us not being entirely privy to. Definitely would like to see more updates from ZOS, though.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what is most "interesting" (not sure if that's the right word) to me is that this isn't isolated. When Markarth dropped, PC got the update first, and performance was appalling. Then we got it on console and performance was bad. However, PC got fixed next patch, then console.

This is different. It's hitting all platforms, all servers. From PS/NA to PC/EU. So, this is a likely a huge issue, which I can understand us not being entirely privy to. Definitely would like to see more updates from ZOS, though.

That is the point I have been trying to drive home when I made this thread - it wasn't a small issue. I think this issue is honestly being way under reported. I know there are a TON of people who have this issue every night and don't post about it on the forums.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Constantly crashing this is the worst I've ever seen. I think I'm done for tonight.
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    i love 7 second delays on all my skills, ZOS is amazing! Game of the Year!

/s
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭
    But seriously, this performance is a complete joke. Id be embarrassed to host this product
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Constantly crashing this is the worst I've ever seen. I think I'm done for tonight.

We had constant crashing in our raid. 3 people every 5-10 minutes would crash. It;'s getting even worse.

When does Alpha 2 start for AoC again...?
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭

We had constant crashing in our raid. 3 people every 5-10 minutes would crash. It;'s getting even worse.

yea, I saw you at Nik, and you could tell people were lagging out, without trying to sound insulting, coordinated groups never fall that easily to zoners, half your team wasnt anywhere near stacked for proxy and such.... you could literally see the bad time being had (performance wise). Even prior to getting into Cyrodiil I was having rubberbanding issues in reapers march, minimal compared to cyrodiil, but a nuisance nonetheless (and I lost out on a columbine i was mid picking because I then teleported, insult to injury man!)

I later got farmed by a pile of DC at roe, and genuinely rage quit on my friend tonight with an alt+F4. This performance is just miserable. I dont mind losing fights, its how you improve and learn, but when you lose to players you *KNOW* you can take on, because the servers just screw you over? why bother playing? I sense my brief return to ESO is honestly over already. my sentiments from months ago are holding true.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yea, I saw you at Nik, and you could tell people were lagging out, without trying to sound insulting, coordinated groups never fall that easily to zoners, half your team wasnt anywhere near stacked for proxy and such.... you could literally see the bad time being had (performance wise). Even prior to getting into Cyrodiil I was having rubberbanding issues in reapers march, minimal compared to cyrodiil, but a nuisance nonetheless (and I lost out on a columbine i was mid picking because I then teleported, insult to injury man!)

I later got farmed by a pile of DC at roe, and genuinely rage quit on my friend tonight with an alt+F4. This performance is just miserable. I dont mind losing fights, its how you improve and learn, but when you lose to players you *KNOW* you can take on, because the servers just screw you over? why bother playing? I sense my brief return to ESO is honestly over already. my sentiments from months ago are holding true.

Yeah we were rubber banding all over the place and then would hard freeze often. Takes 5 or 6 clicks just to get a proxy to go off and don't even get me started about burst heals lmao. It's just really disappointing how far this game has fallen and ZOS isn't making it that big of a priority.
  • Just_Attivi
    Just_Attivi
    ✭✭✭

Yeah we were rubber banding all over the place and then would hard freeze often. Takes 5 or 6 clicks just to get a proxy to go off and don't even get me started about burst heals lmao. It's just really disappointing how far this game has fallen and ZOS isn't making it that big of a priority.

yea.... I was performing not-the-worst at that point, but it degraded fast. 40 minute playsession from excited to pvp to rage quit.... ive never rage quit before lol. at least they are making moving on to greener pastures easier. But genuinely, if another company took the cyrodiil formula and made it a standalone game (outside the Elder scrolls universe, make it Hello Kitty for all I care, just take the same general mechanics) and just made it functional, id be there in a heartbeat. This type of pvp is a goldmine if they focused on it.

on that note... know any game studios open to pitched ideas? :D
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight was my turn to disconnect after watching others hard DC regularly.

I had 4 disconnects in the course of a 2h prog tonight. All with different error messages.

mp3dpiiadskv.png

x5evgr79d9rs.png

In one of the disconnects, the game didn't even kick me to login screen.. characters were moving in place...

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Icy @ZOS_Bill @ZOS_Adrikoth @ZOS_KaiSchober Any kind of update on this issue? No resolution on the 'DDOS' problem?

There was an update last week, it's on Page 36.
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

That update didn't specifically address "what steps are being taken to resolve this issue".
    It was more of 'we're still looking at it'. Still a response, I suppose.
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »

That update didn't specifically address "what steps are being taken to resolve this issue".
    It was more of 'we're still looking at it'. Still a response, I suppose.

Unfortunately this is the typical response we will get.

For all you PvE'rs here us PvP'ers are used to this - this has been the playbook for about 7 years now.

"We are looking into it."
    "Still investigating"
    "We tried some stuff - no noticeable impact"
    "Still investigating"
    (radio silence at a certain point and hopes it just goes away or the complains stop"

This is not a knock on anyone or any dev - just how these kind of situations have played out over the last 7 years as it relates to PvP performance.

Hopefully now that is literally ruining trifecta runs and other PvE aspects it will start to have some positive changes.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭

8 9ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 100g-hu0-2-0-6.9k1.atl.unitifiber.com [xxxx]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    9 18ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 20g-bundle-ether16.9k1.ash.unitifiber.com [xxxx]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    10 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% akamai.prolexic.com [206.126.236.219]
    0/ 100 = 0% |

11 18ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% a104-86-70-25.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [104.86.70.25]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    12 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% a184-26-104-150.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [184.26.104.150]
    0/ 100 = 0% |

13 38ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 198.20.200.1

Akamai will be the death of me us @ZOS_Kevin
    Edited by Photosniper89 on 30 August 2024 15:14
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

0/ 100 = 0% |
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    0/ 100 = 0% |

11 18ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% a104-86-70-25.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [104.86.70.25]
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    12 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% a184-26-104-150.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [184.26.104.150]
    0/ 100 = 0% |

Thanks for sending this along. Will pass it on to the team for their investigation.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raid lead today disconnected 8 times in 2 hours. I didn't disconnect until the last 10 minutes or raid, but I got stuck in that continual loop of errors to log back on, then getting disconnected again immediately after getting back into the game.

Looks like it's going to be a rough weekend for ESO players.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

0/ 100 = 0% |
    0/ 100 = 0% |
    0/ 100 = 0% |

0/ 100 = 0% |
    0/ 100 = 0% |

Thanks for sending this along. Will pass it on to the team for their investigation.

You got it brother!
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling I know why, but I can't say it.
    It's not ZOS's fault if Akamai is involved.
    Every bad thing happening to my internet involves Akamai.
    Dad says akamai is used by Microsoft to push updates. Can't avoid them.
    If they are compromised, our internet is in turmoil.
    We need to find some backups that do what Akamai does, or we are screwed.
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling I know why, but I can't say it.
    It's not ZOS's fault if Akamai is involved.
    Every bad thing happening to my internet involves Akamai.
    Dad says akamai is used by Microsoft to push updates. Can't avoid them.
    If they are compromised, our internet is in turmoil.
    We need to find some backups that do what Akamai does, or we are screwed.

Akamai is used for ZOS ddos protection, not for updates from what I understand.
  • thinkaboutit
    thinkaboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Is Akamai only used along certain routes, e.g. from the Southern Hemisphere countries? That would explain why most players don't have these problems (which in itself strongly supports the idea of it being down to Akamai rather than the servers, as if it was the servers everyone would have the same experience).

I highly doubt ZoS would come out and say that - they are done with this thread.

At the end of the day there is no way for us to get around it we are kind of SOL.

Is there any other way to bring this to the devs attention?

We're not telling them anything they don't already know. In fact, they know far more about Akamai dysfunction than we do.

I beg to differ. If you go in other threads reporting similar issue you see them pointing to 'how to troubleshoot your home internet' WIKI pages.
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    Got booted again from the game to login page on PC EU -- Just like last night. No latency spike, no warning, just the game stopped responding to my keyboard, and then booted with some error without a number and "please wait a few before getting back in" thing.

I haven't had the booted problem for a very, very long time, and now I get this two days in a row. Something is really getting worse.
  • KaironBlackbard
    KaironBlackbard
    ✭✭✭
    Turn on the ping and fps marker if it's not already on. It's dysfunctional imo... or only checks once every 15-20 seconds, not like that really helps.
    I feel it should update every second and have a question mark when reading failed, and pop the 999+ when it returns.
    I moved mine under my quest log and then locked it there.
    I wish it was more accurate, not showing 145 when I'm frozen and popping 999+ on return, rather showing question mark during frozen because obviously you don't have connection.
    Know what I mean?
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭
    Turn on the ping and fps marker if it's not already on. It's dysfunctional imo... or only checks once every 15-20 seconds, not like that really helps.
    I feel it should update every second and have a question mark when reading failed, and pop the 999+ when it returns.
    I moved mine under my quest log and then locked it there.
    I wish it was more accurate, not showing 145 when I'm frozen and popping 999+ on return, rather showing question mark during frozen because obviously you don't have connection.
    Know what I mean?

In my case it never indicated any hint of a problem. I was inside my home today, ping was about 90, everything was perfect until my chest froze with its lead up when I exited it and I couldn't exit my home through the door, and then it booted me. None of it reflected in the numbers. At all.
  • manukartofanu
    manukartofanu
    ✭✭✭
    That is the point I have been trying to drive home when I made this thread - it wasn't a small issue. I think this issue is honestly being way under reported. I know there are a TON of people who have this issue every night and don't post about it on the forums.

One of the first things I was taught in the guild when I started playing was to never report bugs. They also told me that it’s better to never write anything on the forum. I've only been playing for 2 years, but it doesn't take long to understand why people who have been playing longer give such advice.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the first things I was taught in the guild when I started playing was to never report bugs. They also told me that it’s better to never write anything on the forum. I've only been playing for 2 years, but it doesn't take long to understand why people who have been playing longer give such advice.

?? That's.... just weird.... If no one reports bugs, nothing ever happens to fix them. If no one posts on the forum.... sure we don't see the devs communicating but things do get noticed (maybe not fixed).

I really find the advice you were given to be specious and useless. A forum is a place for those of us who play this game to interact. Since your guild doesn't want you to interact.... that to me is suspect.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....