Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Which Race do you most want to see given to the 7th or 8th Companion in 2024?

• KnightofGears
    KnightofGears
    ✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    I'm hoping for a male high elf companion, of a female orc.
  • ob1ken0bi
    ob1ken0bi
    ✭✭✭
    Non-Playable Humanoid Race (such as Dremora or Maormer)
    I want a companion that will stop and pick up mats automatically as we walk/run by them

Or a companion to hold specific stuff like motifs, style pages, surveys, maps and plans that take up all my carrying slots.
    Make one that gives extra mats on surveys or enhances the chance at leads in chests. One that increases chance at higher plans found.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please describe your thoughts)
    Daedrat with the heart of a Titan
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    No more companions, please. The precious database ressources should be used for something more important and more usefull, for instance keeping ingame mail expiration as it is.
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skeleton for Necromancer would be awesome. Hopefully a more serious character aswell.
    also known as Overlich.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    I think there could be a choice between several races. When you meet them their features/body could be hidden behind a door and there could be a conversation which determines their race based on answers to questions.
  • Jarl_Ironheart
    Jarl_Ironheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nord
    I want a Nord bro to run around with. Let us teach them what true nords can do. Wouldn't mind orc also as they and nords have similar values.
    Push Posh Applesauce, Pocket Full of Marmalade.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc (Orsimer)
    If the two 2024 Companions are retroactively added to the West Weald zone, there's a decent chance that one of them will be a Bosmer. Maybe the other will be a second Imperial, if ZOS wanted to repeat one of the races this year.

Although, if this year's Companions aren't added somewhere in West Weald, then they could be anywhere. Maybe you would be able to meet one in the Infinite Archive, who can help you progress in there without the need to own any Chapters or DLC. Or, maybe there will be a new base game zone added in Q4 which may feature one of the new Companions outside of the PvP content. At that point, there's no real expectation as to what their race might be, but if the popular ones were selected first, then I'd anticipate Altmer or Nord being viable candidates.
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Idk why but for some reason I really want an Altmer companion. Here's hoping for Altmer Necro companion
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    I would like a high elf companion that looks similar to Fennorian or an orc warrior or shaman.
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    There have been so many great suggestions like Maormer, Daedra, etc. I would love any of those options, but I'm inclined to Bosmer.

Definitely something I'm hoping for given the Companions are coming out later in the year is an update to the companion system in general. They are too easy to kill, they like to stand in the red too often, etc. They've talked about romancing companions, I would love to see that. Maybe give each companion 30-60 inventory slots to give more utility to them? Someone else here suggested allowing them to pick up materials with you. There are so many ways to update/upgrade the companion system into something that is beneficial for everyone and I hope ZOS is looking into such ways.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do we really need more companions?
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    Do we really need more companions?

we know we are getting more companions.
    this post is about what race people want the companions in update 44 to be.

Once they get added you do not have to interact with them whatsoever if you don't want them.

zos will very likely continue adding more companions in future years too because people like them and want more.
    the same goes for those.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    I am 100% sure we are getting a Bosmer next, and here are my reasons why:

1 - Daggerfall & Ebonheart pact both already have 2 of their races available as companions, Aldmeri only has 1. So, to balance that out one of the 2 next races have to be High Elf or Bosmer.

2 - The newest chapter has a pretty good focus on Wood Elves, both story wise and even new furnishing wise.

3 - The newest map is close to the Bosmer maps.

4 - I was thinking about this the other night, and had more reasons as to why, which elude me now lol.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    Eldartar wrote: »
    I think we have reached the point where there needs to be NO MORE Companions . . . . Pleaseeeeeeeee.

Nonsense, we need every race, twice. One of each gender, so that's 20 total they HAVE to make. :p
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc (Orsimer)
    Paulytnz wrote: »
    Eldartar wrote: »
    I think we have reached the point where there needs to be NO MORE Companions . . . . Pleaseeeeeeeee.

Nonsense, we need every race, twice. One of each gender, so that's 20 total they HAVE to make. :p

20 minimum. ZOS has expressed interest in Companion races that are off the beaten path, like Dremora. Plus, what about a female Khajiit who speaks in a more Khajiiti style? (Sorry, Ember.)

I'd expect a lot more than just 20 Companions in the distant future. Plus, it'll be interesting to see what class is assigned to each one; surely ZOS will eventually repeat Companion races and classes, so we might get a sneaky Nightblade Bosmer or a Dragonknight Redguard at some point. It's too early to tell.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Male Altmer, although the most important thing is that the character should be well-written.

I guess we'll get a Bosmer, btw, as they often linked one companion's race to the current chapter somehow (Bastian in Blackwood, Isobel in High Isle).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc (Orsimer)
    For those of you who would rather not see a repeated race (such as those who only want one Companion for each of the 10 playable races) what is your primary reason for this? Would it be better if we only had repeated races after we had at least 1 Companion for each playable race, or should we see repeated races sooner?

I personally don't mind seeing repeated races before we have one Companion for each playable race. Actually, I don't mind if we have more than two Companions per race; what's important for me is how the character is written.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    For those of you who would rather not see a repeated race (such as those who only want one Companion for each of the 10 playable races) what is your primary reason for this? Would it be better if we only had repeated races after we had at least 1 Companion for each playable race, or should we see repeated races sooner?

While what personally matters to me most is a well-written and interesting character background (my favorite companion so far is Azandar), I understand that there are people who have a strong preference for one ESO race, or for mer, or for betmer (to be honest, I have one, too, but I also very much enjoy companions who do not meet my preference in that aspect, if I like their personality). I think to offer something of interest for everyone, factors like race, class and gender should be well-balanced in companion releases, which means a big variety should be offered before going for the same race or class twice.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Well we already know its another khajiit and altmer
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)

we do not know that.
    ZOS has not officially revealed anything about the upcoming companions.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)

Is is from that rumour from last year or so where neither of these alleged new companions had any name that fit ESO's lore? Nothing about it was plausible.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Syldras wrote: »

Is is from that rumour from last year or so where neither of these alleged new companions had any name that fit ESO's lore? Nothing about it was plausible.

No rumors, hard evidence but I can't say it on forums. Best of travels.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    No rumors, hard evidence but I can't say it on forums. Best of travels.

I only know one rumour about an Altmer companion, that was already circulating even before Necrom dropped. I can remember the "Altmer" had some weird stereotypical non-TES-at-all name starting with X. Xander, Xasthur, whatever. Which fits other fantasy game elf names very well, but not TES. There never had been any male Altmer name starting with X so far. Ever. It's completely against their naming conventions. Also the rest of the description sounded stereotypical fantasy elf, but not Altmer. Which is the reason I didn't find the whole thing plausible at all. I mean, maybe you mean something different, but in case it was this what I mentioned here... There are good reasons I don't believe it.
    Edited by Syldras on 13 August 2024 22:15
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    I really want a male Altmer, but I also hope they don't conform to stereotypes.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)

Most of all I hope it won't be a "cliché evil (insert maniacal laughter here) necromancer".

I think @ArchangelIsraphel has written about an idea for an Altmer companion that I liked very much. Can't find it right now, unfortunately.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    @Syldras Here you go, I found it for you guys!

A more recent post from earlier in 2024 where I refined the idea more:
    An Altmer, preferably male. I'd like him to have a sharp wit to match his intelligence- a scholarly background of some type would be welcome, though any number of professions might be interesting. Someone grounded, but with a wry sense of humor.

I like the idea of making him a Hulkynd, but in spite of being rejected by his family, he still retains shadows of the arrogance ingrained in him by his cultural background. He could have moments where he does not seem like the typical Altmer, where it is evident that he has learned many a hard lesson in life that his peers have not. And yet, he could also have times when certain negative traits show through, and that old Altmer "superiority" rears it's ugly head.

I think it would be interesting to see him use rejection from his Altmer family as an opportunity to pursue his own studies.

I think it's important not to make him fully insufferable or annoying, like the stereotypical nobles of Summerset can be. However, it could be that his arrogance gets him into whatever trouble he's in when he meets our character, and he has to put that aside in order to receive help.

It is quite possible that his arrogance is a cover for pain, or insecurity, associated with his Hulkynd status, as much of a trope as that might be.

Most of all, I'd like him to be a character where we see a certain level of development and transformation beyond what we see in the usual companion plot lines, if at all possible.

The concept could use some fleshing out, but that's the bare bones of an idea that has been sitting in the back of my head for quite some time.

(I've been inspired by the discussion which took place in this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/igl5w6/what_makes_a_hulkynd/ for quite a long time. It concerns "what makes a hulkynd" and what that status really means in terms of Altmer society.)

This one's an older post about him from late 2023
    I'd love to see a male altmer Sorc added, especially if he has just a touch of arrogance about him. I can see myself really enjoying an altmer with some charisma and sarcasm tucked up his sleeve.

I really loved Manacar in the quest "The Hulkynd's Heart". I enjoyed his personality and his attitude towards life in summerset- it would be really interesting to see another "hulkynd" on the scene with a strong personality and a mind of his own. Perhaps with a touch of arrogance still left in him from his time in Summerset, a remnant of a past life he can no longer be a part of, but longs for just a little.

(Manacar's VA was also really amazing, would love to hear him return, hint hint XD OR Robbie Daymond, he has an amazing vocal range and I'm certain he could voice an Altmer that sounds quite different from his original role as Fennorian.)

There are others, but I can't find them. I've been bugging ZOS for a Hulkynd sorc or necro for years XD
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on 14 August 2024 19:23
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    @ArchangelIsraphel The first one was the post I was thinking of. Thank you!
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Syldras wrote: »

Most of all I hope it won't be a "cliché evil (insert maniacal laughter here) necromancer".

I think @ArchangelIsraphel has written about an idea for an Altmer companion that I liked very much. Can't find it right now, unfortunately.

I read that, and I would love that, especially the part about the arrogance covering up pain and insecurity!

Yeah, I was thinking of the typical 'evil necromancer' or even just 'necromancer' for altmers.

I know others have said they wished they had some companions that conformed to their racial stereotypes, but honestly, I sort of like that we are getting non-stereotypical characters. It is refreshing, to me, to see and interact with them.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those that are sharing information that ZOS hasn't confirmed yet, may I suggest removing those comments to avoid false expectations, as per the pinned policy in General ESO Discussion:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/620737/policy-change-for-posting-rumors-datamined-content-unofficial-unreleased-content-on-the-forum#latest
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.