Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which Race do you most want to see given to the 7th or 8th Companion in 2024?

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    I read that, and I would love that, especially the part about the arrogance covering up pain and insecurity!

As long as it's not presented as an universal truth, but as something affecting that specific character because of his hulkynd background. I'm slightly tired of the "everyone is nice deep down, some are just insecure" trope, especially as it's slowly permeating the real world and is too often used as an excuse (but no, not all bigots are insecure or afraid of new or different things, sometimes it's certain societal tendencies, "moral" teachings they've been raised with, etc; and sometimes people just have "negative" character traits - although I personally tend to see traits more neutral, it's the way they are used that makes them positive or negative, but that's a different topic).
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    For those that are sharing information that ZOS hasn't confirmed yet, may I suggest removing those comments to avoid false expectations, as per the pinned policy in General ESO Discussion:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/620737/policy-change-for-posting-rumors-datamined-content-unofficial-unreleased-content-on-the-forum#latest

In my case it was a statement why one stupid rumour that's been around for a while doesn't make any sense. If at all, that's not raising false expectations, but curbing weird theories that are circulating anyway. I could also describe it in a more general way, of course: If someone tells you about a companion concept that doesn't fit TES lore about said race at all, it's very certainly false.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female High Elf Necromancer
    Nord werewolf

I just want existing characters TBH. I think building off of existing characters is more interesting than blank slates we have gotten.

Give me Naryu, Razum Dar, Quen, Kireth, Darien, Gwendis, Fennorian, etc.
    Edited by Fata1moose on 15 August 2024 14:35
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Bosmer and orc.

I'd also like to see a proper imperial at some point, but later. As much as I like Bastian, he's not very imperial. He's breton in everything except nose and cheekbones. So we technically have 2 bretons.

That’s how we do things in Daggerfall!
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please describe your thoughts)
    I have no need for more companions. Sorry for that. Egoistically, I would prefer to see that budget assigned to other things. But well, I know I'm probably part of a tiny minority... o:)
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Syldras wrote: »
    I read that, and I would love that, especially the part about the arrogance covering up pain and insecurity!

As long as it's not presented as an universal truth, but as something affecting that specific character because of his hulkynd background. I'm slightly tired of the "everyone is nice deep down, some are just insecure" trope, especially as it's slowly permeating the real world and is too often used as an excuse (but no, not all bigots are insecure or afraid of new or different things, sometimes it's certain societal tendencies, "moral" teachings they've been raised with, etc; and sometimes people just have "negative" character traits - although I personally tend to see traits more neutral, it's the way they are used that makes them positive or negative, but that's a different topic).

This I agree with wholeheartedly. My intention for this character idea is that his insecurity won't be used as an excuse for his mistakes, but that it exists because of his hulkynd background and is a possible motivator for some of the things he ends up doing and saying. The last thing I want our characters (or other characters in the story line to do) is to say "oh, it's okay, because xyz happened to you, and you couldn't help it, there, there!"

Rather, I'd like to see a story line where we can show sympathy for his background, express understanding for why he chose to do what he did, and have him reach a point of self awareness and growth where he has to take some kind of responsibility for his actions.

And, maybe, even though he does take responsibility for his actions, it isn't all okay in the end. Maybe the other characters in the story line don't forgive him, or can't forgive him, depending on what he did or said. It would be interesting to see a character that has to live with that, come to terms with the fact that our character can't just make it all okay again for him.

Which leads me to some further brainstorming:

If he's a necromancer, I kind of want to see him pursue necromancy for two reasons- at first, his own fascination. And then, perhaps in a desperate attempt to take back some kind of status in Altmer society through fear.

Or maybe even to resurrect someone who loved him before he was cast out by the rest of the family. A parent or a sibling, maybe. Could be that this individual was the only thing keeping him from being cast out, and they were murdered in order to sever his ties with the family.

But the resurrection goes...terribly wrong in some way, and he ends up with a vengeful monster rather than the person who cared about him. A vengeful monster that he can't control, even though it is acting on some of his darkest feelings and wishes. It isn't what he intended to happen, and now he's struggling to stop it. (Possible that it starts slaying the family members responsible for the murder, one by one. The story line could start with the player character investigating a murder.)

And of course, throughout, his arrogance and haughtiness will come into play. Perhaps he even feels he's entitled to raise the dead after all that's happened to him.

That story line might be too dark, or not at all what some might want- I'm mostly brainstorming possibilities and exploring the idea of his curiosity about necromancy taking a dark turn once he's rejected.

Then of course we must ask what actually makes him a Hulkynd. What flaw does he have that causes other altmer to reject him? I kind of want to see something like an irreparably disabled arm or hand that causes his fighting style to look different (could possibly be his motivation for wanting undead servants to fight for him)

And y'know, getting into that- I'd like to see him go to the clockwork city to try to replace his arm...only problem is that the Apostles really aren't willing to share their technology with any one from the outside.

I am, of course, open to other ideas, since we're all just throwing concepts at ZOS.

*leaves wall of text and scuttles away* >.> <.< >.>
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)

This I agree with wholeheartedly. My intention for this character idea is that his insecurity won't be used as an excuse for his mistakes, but that it exists because of his hulkynd background and is a possible motivator for some of the things he ends up doing and saying. The last thing I want our characters (or other characters in the story line to do) is to say "oh, it's okay, because xyz happened to you, and you couldn't help it, there, there!"

Rather, I'd like to see a story line where we can show sympathy for his background, express understanding for why he chose to do what he did, and have him reach a point of self awareness and growth where he has to take some kind of responsibility for his actions.

And, maybe, even though he does take responsibility for his actions, it isn't all okay in the end. Maybe the other characters in the story line don't forgive him, or can't forgive him, depending on what he did or said. It would be interesting to see a character that has to live with that, come to terms with the fact that our character can't just make it all okay again for him.

Which leads me to some further brainstorming:

If he's a necromancer, I kind of want to see him pursue necromancy for two reasons- at first, his own fascination. And then, perhaps in a desperate attempt to take back some kind of status in Altmer society through fear.

Or maybe even to resurrect someone who loved him before he was cast out by the rest of the family. A parent or a sibling, maybe. Could be that this individual was the only thing keeping him from being cast out, and they were murdered in order to sever his ties with the family.

But the resurrection goes...terribly wrong in some way, and he ends up with a vengeful monster rather than the person who cared about him. A vengeful monster that he can't control, even though it is acting on some of his darkest feelings and wishes. It isn't what he intended to happen, and now he's struggling to stop it. (Possible that it starts slaying the family members responsible for the murder, one by one. The story line could start with the player character investigating a murder.)

And of course, throughout, his arrogance and haughtiness will come into play. Perhaps he even feels he's entitled to raise the dead after all that's happened to him.

That story line might be too dark, or not at all what some might want- I'm mostly brainstorming possibilities and exploring the idea of his curiosity about necromancy taking a dark turn once he's rejected.

Then of course we must ask what actually makes him a Hulkynd. What flaw does he have that causes other altmer to reject him? I kind of want to see something like an irreparably disabled arm or hand that causes his fighting style to look different (could possibly be his motivation for wanting undead servants to fight for him)

And y'know, getting into that- I'd like to see him go to the clockwork city to try to replace his arm...only problem is that the Apostles really aren't willing to share their technology with any one from the outside.

I am, of course, open to other ideas, since we're all just throwing concepts at ZOS.

*leaves wall of text and scuttles away* >.> <.< >.>

I agree completely (except about the necromancer, because I still don't want him to be a necromancer :P though I do understand that was meant that if the high elf HAS to be a necromancer, here is how it could be done).

Yeah, I was talking specifically about this particular character being insecure and covering it up with the typical Altmer arrogance, and ideally, starting to over come his insecurity with the help of the player character and toning down the arrogance. They never have to go away completely, and as said, his past actions don't have to be forgiven by the people in his life.

Perhaps that could be part of his story, he wants to start anew, but still atone for what he has done in the past, and does so by both being a traveller, thus not having a true home, and travelling with arguably one of the most dangerous people to know on the continent at the moment. (how many daedric princes has the vestige pissed off?)

I would prefer that his story end on a positive note (not everyone has to forgive him, but he is still trying to move on and work with his issues, and help others to atone for his past actions).

I sort of like the idea of the player character investigating a murder, and even without the high elf being a necromancer, it could still be fun to do. Perhaps it could be something like, because he was outcast, the high elf left his home town, and when he came back, years later, to talk to his remaining family member who supported him, that family member gets murdered and the high elf blamed. The PC finds the high elf trying to investigate while not being arrested, and agrees to help look into it for him.

*shrugs* at this point I just want a male high elf non-necromancer, I am not really fussy about the backstory, but some of these do sound fun to play :D
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)

While we're at it: I'd actually like our characters to be able to say that - optionally. No matter how little agree with an idea in real life, ideally, there should be different options for our character to reply, for the sake of roleplay. Maybe an "evil" character would actually be okay with it all? Although their reply then would probably not be some expression of sympathy, but a short and direct "I'd have done the same" (or even "Fine, I don't care")... It's actually something that does bother me a bit: We can play absolutely horrid characters in this game (horrid from a real life perspective), including mass-murderers, weird cultists of all kinds, necromancers, cannibals..., but in the end, we have to play the sympathetic and morally righteous friend again when it comes to companions. It's probably the easiest thing to write, and pleasing for most people, but not neccessarily the most interesting outcome. And yeah, no matter how horrid it is, my headcanon for how Sharp's story ended with my main character was a bit different... Like, why would he burn interesting and useful research?! He took it. Just as he took Sharp with him. Sondivel was weak, his irrational emotions were his flaw. It was his own fault that his whole research project ended up in the hands of someone else, someone who deserves it more. From my main's perspective, this was his victory alone (Sharp? Who's Sharp? Ah, right, the one downstairs, next to the cat and the Breton claiming to be an Imperial). Real life me would find this absolutely awful, of course, but I'm not playing myself in this game. Although of course I understand that ZOS might not want to let us have too "extreme" options, but I'd appreciate at least some dialogue option - in general, not only in the companion questlines - that we're not emotionally attached, did it only for the gold, or whatever. Random people calling us "friend" after we've done some short minor side quest somewhere always seemed a bit strange to me.

I'd appreciate every move away from a Hollywood-esque "In the end, all problems are solved, everyone is friends again and rides happily into the sunset... or something" standard formula. Of course this might be exactly the right outcome for some stories (or more precisely: some characters), but not for every character there is. It makes sense for a "morally good" character. But if it's someone who is "evil", who has no problem with us randomly stealing and murdering everyone, would there neccessarily be a story about them regretting evil deeds of the past? In the real world, people are different, after all. Some lack self-awareness and will most probably never gain it, some are egomaniacs who are aware but don't care about the harm they cause to others, some might actually have a conscience but do everything to repress the memories of what they did wrong, and some do outright regret and suffer. I'd like to see these different character traits and reactions this in the game, not always a standard formula of "tragic background - evil deeds - regret - player helps making amends - everything is completely or at least partially resolved". I do enjoy stories of "morally good" characters (and I also like Isobel as a companion; my absolute favorite so far is Azandar, but after that, no matter how different they are, Isobel and Mirri are on a par with each other), but the world doesn't only consist of these. It's not like I only want "dark and edgy" now (I'd rather not see cliché stuff at all), but more variety is always good. Generally speaking, of course. For the hulkynd, a (semi-)positive outcome might be the right thing (although that leads to the question why he would continue to be a necromancer if he had seen how terribly wrong things can go?)...
    And then, perhaps in a desperate attempt to take back some kind of status in Altmer society through fear.

Would that work with Altmer morals? I mean, he might be feared, but I don't think that would gain him any kind of status, probably only disdain? (I found Machiavelli's theories quite stupid when I first had to read Il Principe when I was 15 or so, but the older I get, sadly, the more sense it all makes to me - but that's off topic.)

I really like that. Although it might be too close to an existing story ;)
    That story line might be too dark, or not at all what some might want-

The companion stories never fit all player characters, to be fair. That's the natural side-effect of offering a big variety of different characters and backgrounds in the companion system (it could only be avoided by creating mediocre, edgeless characters that everyone finds "okay" somehow - but that would be quite boring). Although even stories that are less to someone's taste might be more enjoyable if our character would have different options to react upon the events, as stated above.

Unless they do great deeds for CWC. But there can't be world-ending threats all the time, especially not confined to one companion quest ;) Another solution would be him becoming an Apostle at the end of the story. Would also satisfy his interest and curiosity in creating "living" beings.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think someone suggested we should have animals as companions. Anyways a cool dog or some wild life would be great.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    @ArchangelIsraphel
    i read the idea and i liked it, i agree that there should not be a steryotyope of "omgbbq evil" but do give him some darkness

btw: did you ever think about writing skyrim companions for a mod in skyrim? you sound like you do writing or making plots a lot and I think you'd be good at it if zos don't use your ideas
    Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    *shrugs* at this point I just want a male high elf non-necromancer, I am not really fussy about the backstory, but some of these do sound fun to play :D

Don't let ZOS hear this or they'll give you Herpderpion of Shimmerene, the idiot brother of Sapiarch Aicantar, who has a clubfoot, can't count to five (but is still considering himself to be the smartest Mer of the Isles, if not of whole Nirn), won't listen to anything you say, and is drunk all the time. Which would certainly make him a hulkynd, but not neccessarily one I'd like to help.

Edited by Syldras on 16 August 2024 16:28
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)

Don't let ZOS hear this or they'll give you Herpderpion of Shimmerene, the idiot brother of Sapiarch Aicantar, who has a clubfoot, can't count to five (but is still considering himself to be the smartest Mer of the Isles, if not of whole Nirn), won't listen to anything you say, and is drunk all the time. Which would certainly make him a hulkynd, but not neccessarily one I'd like to help.

*oops* *rushes to cover up previous post*

Yeah, I would be likely to just leave that particular companion alone...

Though that would still be better than a possiblity I am not going to name, but players of older games may remember certain NPCs that became famous, simply because of how annoying they are...
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    By Azurah, By Azurah, By Azurah....The Grand Champion!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Though that would still be better than a possiblity I am not going to name, but players of older games may remember certain NPCs that became famous, simply because of how annoying they are...

Do you mean the Bosmer who was your biggest fan as an arena champion in the Imperial City? The poor boy who suffered a permanent trauma after his father had a horrible accident by, uhm, falling from a Graht Oak and breaking his neck? Which is the reason that poor Bosmer always searched for something like a father figure elsewhere, finally landing in the Imperial City where he developed a gambling addiction and spent all his money on arena bets, which, in the end, had him become homeless (which is also the reason he follows you around all the time, because he simply has no place to stay)? :p
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Too bad they don’t offer Companion Class Change Tokens. 🙂
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)

Do you mean the Bosmer who was your biggest fan as an arena champion in the Imperial City? The poor boy who suffered a permanent trauma after his father had a horrible accident by, uhm, falling from a Graht Oak and breaking his neck? Which is the reason that poor Bosmer always searched for something like a father figure elsewhere, finally landing in the Imperial City where he developed a gambling addiction and spent all his money on arena bets, which, in the end, had him become homeless (which is also the reason he follows you around all the time, because he simply has no place to stay)? :p

I have actually never been in Imperial city, but it sure sounds like it.

Would write more, but have a thunderstorm and need to get off the computer :P
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    One with a functioning AI?!
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)

I have actually never been in Imperial city, but it sure sounds like it.

Would write more, but have a thunderstorm and need to get off the computer :P

Survived the thunderstorm (but my cats still aren't sure they did), and there were at least two that I remember vividly. One in Baldur's Gate, and one in Gothic.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fata1moose wrote: »
    Nord werewolf

I just want existing characters TBH. I think building off of existing characters is more interesting than blank slates we have gotten.

This has two problems, first is that they will reuse the fan favorites like Raz and Stiborn then they fit in somehow.
    Having an companion who run into themselves is an problem.
    So they would have restrictions on use

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Male Khajiit that does not have a childish personality like Ember.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non-Playable Non-Humanoid Race (such as Alfiq)
    I want Caska or someone like her :(
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Non-Playable Non-Humanoid Race (such as Alfiq)
    Nefas released a video about a recent datamine.
    I will not link it because i don't know how zos feels about dataminers but still it's easy to find on Nefas channel.
    We know name and race of the companions.
    Edited by Silaf on 19 August 2024 11:35
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    While we're at it: I'd actually like our characters to be able to say that - optionally. No matter how little agree with an idea in real life, ideally, there should be different options for our character to reply, for the sake of roleplay. Maybe an "evil" character would actually be okay with it all? Although their reply then would probably not be some expression of sympathy, but a short and direct "I'd have done the same" (or even "Fine, I don't care")

Agreed- I'd definitely like to see more nuance in the choices available as a response. It's definitely an issue within the companion quest lines and the scribing quest line that the player character is immediately assumed to be the heroic type. A range of responses is a much better way to present the content.
    For the hulkynd, a (semi-)positive outcome might be the right thing (although that leads to the question why he would continue to be a necromancer if he had seen how terribly wrong things can go?)...

A very good point, and a plot hole I hadn't considered- although I have an idea which stems from an article I was reading on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Corpse_Preparation

Specifically this quote caught my eye-
    Summerset Isle is even worse in some ways. Some Altmer born into the most respected noble and scholarly families are actually allowed to study the dead in the open. Their research, however, seems to be centered on finding ways to extend their lives even further rather than the more practical uses of our Art. A Necromancer of any other race caught in Summerset Isle can expect the worst possible punishments.

What if his curiosity concerning necromancy stems from him having once had the privilege to participate in these studies? Perhaps, in spite of the fact that necromancy is repugnant to his society, he sees it as a tool that could benefit them if used in the "right" way?

Perhaps he continues his studies because of the "good" things he feels he could accomplish if he does? It would be interesting if he were depicted as being the kind of person who would pour over his research and everything he's done up until now, down to the finest detail, to see exactly what he did wrong.
    Would that work with Altmer morals? I mean, he might be feared, but I don't think that would gain him any kind of status, probably only disdain? (I found Machiavelli's theories quite stupid when I first had to read Il Principe when I was 15 or so, but the older I get, sadly, the more sense it all makes to me - but that's off topic.)

You're quite right about Altmer morality. Looking at Altmer lore, I also feel like having him attempt such a thing is contradictory to his craving to be a part of his society once more. (And in retrospect, I feel like his character could be developed better without him attempting to make others fear him. I like the idea of him seeing necromancy as a useful tool that gets out of hand when he ends up taking it too far)
    Unless they do great deeds for CWC. But there can't be world-ending threats all the time, especially not confined to one companion quest ;) Another solution would be him becoming an Apostle at the end of the story. Would also satisfy his interest and curiosity in creating "living" beings.

I like this idea a lot. So much so that I almost want to see an entirely separate companion with CWC focused abilities.

(A side note: I definitely appreciate the feedback. Thanks for finding the plot holes and presenting questions that facilitate the brainstorming process. Now off to find a decent translation of II Principe to read, because I need to satisfy my curiosity.)

@ArchangelIsraphel
    i read the idea and i liked it, i agree that there should not be a steryotyope of "omgbbq evil" but do give him some darkness

btw: did you ever think about writing skyrim companions for a mod in skyrim? you sound like you do writing or making plots a lot and I think you'd be good at it if zos don't use your ideas

Thanks! I haven't ever considered posing a mod on Nexus, but I have actually been learning to build a companion mod so that I can create my own companions in skyrim. (Mostly because I don't think we'll ever see custom companions happen in ESO, and I have a lot of character's I'd like to have together.) At the moment, I'm working on my main OC's husband, which will be a private mod. (No VA, just dialogue) I have a lot, and I do mean, a LOT to learn before I ever think about posting something to Nexus XD
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    @ArchangelIsraphel
    A very good point, and a plot hole I hadn't considered- although I have an idea which stems from an article I was reading on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Corpse_Preparation

I'll have to look into that later, thank you. It's already a bit late right now. Or early. As in "early in the morning" ;) I hope I won't write too weird stuff now, as I'm already halfway down in Somnus' realm :p
    Specifically this quote caught my eye-
    Summerset Isle is even worse in some ways. Some Altmer born into the most respected noble and scholarly families are actually allowed to study the dead in the open. Their research, however, seems to be centered on finding ways to extend their lives even further rather than the more practical uses of our Art. A Necromancer of any other race caught in Summerset Isle can expect the worst possible punishments.

That's interesting. Although I'd guess these experiments would probably be different to the usual necromantic experiments? Probably more about the transfer of energy from corpses, maybe not even with a direct interaction with the corpse itself? Energies probably also flow through caskets. And I think most people would rather avoid looking at a rotting corpse (and then there's also the horrible stench...) if it's avoidable. Especially Altmer whose culture is so centered around cleanliness, beauty, perfection, etc, that they don't even dare to talk about toilets, which is harmless in comparison.
    What if his curiosity concerning necromancy stems from him having once had the privilege to participate in these studies? Perhaps, in spite of the fact that necromancy is repugnant to his society, he sees it as a tool that could benefit them if used in the "right" way?
    Perhaps he continues his studies because of the "good" things he feels he could accomplish if he does? It would be interesting if he were depicted as being the kind of person who would pour over his research and everything he's done up until now, down to the finest detail, to see exactly what he did wrong.

This is indeed an interesting concept.
    You're quite right about Altmer morality. Looking at Altmer lore, I also feel like having him attempt such a thing is contradictory to his craving to be a part of his society once more. (And in retrospect, I feel like his character could be developed better without him attempting to make others fear him. I like the idea of him seeing necromancy as a useful tool that gets out of hand when he ends up taking it too far)

Yes, I agree that the last part is something that could be elaborated on.
    I like this idea a lot. So much so that I almost want to see an entirely separate companion with CWC focused abilities.

I'd love a CWC themed Apostle class (and later a companion based on that). Of course it's weirdly specific, but not weirder than Arcanist, I guess.
    (A side note: I definitely appreciate the feedback. Thanks for finding the plot holes and presenting questions that facilitate the brainstorming process.

That's what I like about our discussions: They're actual discussions, where one can test one's ideas in mutual respect, and therefore learn and broaden one's horizon, instead of everyone just stubbornly insisting on their concept and defending it with teeth and claws (which is the most boring thing, really, as it doesn't bring anything forward and often doesn't lead to new insights either).
    Now off to find a decent translation of II Principe to read, because I need to satisfy my curiosity.)

I've just checked it, Wikisource has a few:
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Prince
    It's indeed an interesting read. The most famous quote probably is "For a ruler, it is safer to be feared than to be loved". Although it would be quite a simplification to take this as the only message - there's much more about it.
    I haven't ever considered posing a mod on Nexus, but I have actually been learning to build a companion mod so that I can create my own companions in skyrim. (Mostly because I don't think we'll ever see custom companions happen in ESO, and I have a lot of character's I'd like to have together.) At the moment, I'm working on my main OC's husband, which will be a private mod. (No VA, just dialogue) I have a lot, and I do mean, a LOT to learn before I ever think about posting something to Nexus XD

Good luck (and lots of fun) with that! I've also been thinking about this for a while, but didn't find the time yet. Too many other weird things to do.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Sahugani
    Sahugani
    ✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    What I'd like to see are Guild companions. Fighters', Mages', Theives'(Quen, I wanted more story with her), etc. Maybe have an apprenticeship type thing.

• Marko21xx
    Marko21xx
    ✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    Fata1moose wrote: »
    Nord werewolf

Stibbons is the obvious choice! <.< ... true .. a Werewolf or Vampire one would be cool.. but idk how it would work to level their skills and how transformations could work.. and I can see ppl buying a chapter only to get Naryu as a companion..

I want more crazy and unhinged ones.. maybe with a quest tied to a daedric prince..
    Crazy Khajiit who thinks is a dog because of Sheogorath.. creepy Namira worshiper that makes suspicious comments on how delicious the enemy flesh is.. A companion that is constantly trying to and remind you that they want to offer your soul to molag bal (or any other actually) and just stab you in the back... The sheogorath one alone can have soooo many crazy ideas.. idk .. they may dislike when you organize your inventory (stack items) or is a nudist and hates when you equip gear in them..
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Romulan

:#
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Marko21xx wrote: »
    creepy Namira worshiper that makes suspicious comments on how delicious the enemy flesh is.. A companion that is constantly trying to and remind you that they want to offer your soul to molag bal (or any other actually) and just stab you in the back...

And how many people would want to quest with such a character?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Marko21xx
    Marko21xx
    ✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    creepy Namira worshiper that makes suspicious comments on how delicious the enemy flesh is.. A companion that is constantly trying to and remind you that they want to offer your soul to molag bal (or any other actually) and just stab you in the back...

And how many people would want to quest with such a character?

Are you being sarcastic?.. idk.. from Skyrim I see that the crazy quests like those being one of the most mentioned..
    I mean.. with the Namira one at least they are talking about the enemy's flesh and not yours xD
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Elf (Altmer)
    Are you being sarcastic?.. idk.. from Skyrim I see that the crazy quests like those being one of the most mentioned..
    I mean.. with the Namira one at least they are talking about the enemy's flesh and not yours xD

I'm just genuinely curious. Doing one quest is one thing, having a character like that around for days/weeks/months as a travel companion is a different one. And I'm not sure if cannibalism is that well-received either, many don't even want their Bosmer to be cannibals.

I'm personally not against "weirder" companions, but a cannibal wouldn't be one of my personal choices. And I also wouldn't know why I'd want to travel someone who threatens me all the time - especially if I can't reply by giving them an energetic punch on their nose (if I could, I might think about it).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Marko21xx
    Marko21xx
    ✭✭
    Wood Elf (Bosmer)
    I'm just genuinely curious. Doing one quest is one thing, having a character like that around for days/weeks/months as a travel companion is a different one. And I'm not sure if cannibalism is that well-received either, many don't even want their Bosmer to be cannibals.

I'm personally not against "weirder" companions, but a cannibal wouldn't be one of my personal choices. And I also wouldn't know why I'd want to travel someone who threatens me all the time - especially if I can't reply by giving them an energetic punch on their nose (if I could, I might think about it).

xD.. it could be a little quirk... I also don't like to walk around with a companion who hates when I accidentally pick that butterfly while trying to hit the wayshrine.. it doesn't need to be their whole motif.. it could also be fun to rp as an evil character if your companion doesn't complain every time you kill a squirrel... in the case of an evil character.. having an untrusthy companion is also acceptable.. I don't rp my characters but idk.. the more variety the better..