The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do you dislike the new feature: Tales of tribute card game?

• fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tested the new content (story, dungeons, companions, ToT) on PTS.
    I do not enjoy card games IRL and I've not been able to play this one satisfactorily (my fault, but when you don't find any fun in a game, why keep playing it?)

End of line: I'll buy High Isles when/if it is on sale.
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think a card game makes sense in ESO. ESO is a mmorpg not a card game.
    nvm
    Edited by fred4 on 18 May 2022 15:48
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • Jaclynn
    Jaclynn
    ✭✭✭
    I don't actually dislike the card game, i just want to be in the poll! :D
    I am enjoying the card game on PTS, and I am really looking forward to the launch of the new chapter.

I think the card game is a nice addition. I am mainly a solo player, and have been playing since launch. I'm at a point now where I don't want to start a new character, and/or try a new build. I just want new things to do. New quests, new places to explore, new houses... >>Insert ADHD meme here<<

The game requires strategy, as well as luck. For now I will give it 4 stars. If the rewards at launch are comparable, I'll give it 5. ;)
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."

PC/NA
    @Jaclynn
    GM "The Rogue's Bounty"
    Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All/some of the above (please, comment which ones).
    fiender66 wrote: »
    I do not enjoy card games IRL and I've not been able to play this one satisfactorily (my fault, but when you don't find any fun in a game, why keep playing it?)

I feel the same or I will pay for a month ESO+ once it becomes a DLC.
    Options
  • LikiLoki
    LikiLoki
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please, comment why).
    we need a card game, this is the trend of all big projects. But they implemented it wrong. It was necessary to introduce a new profession - cartographer. The cartographer is engaged in crafting magic scrolls with various effects, draws cards for decks, draws geographical maps for the house if he has passed the location. Tools: station drawing table, paper of different quality, ink of different quality, precious stones, monster essence for a playing card. some cards need to be found by archaeology, some from bosses, other cards can be taken from an opponent for a win. Gaming tables for card tournaments can be placed in your home.
    quslaz0rz756.jpg
    Edited by LikiLoki on 18 May 2022 23:06
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think development time could've been spent on something else more important or another better feature.

I don't think an expansion ever becomes a DLC.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't play/like card games.
    the notion that development time was somehow devoted to this minigame that could have been devoted to other portions of the game is misguided and completely misunderstands how video games are actually developed

but yeah i dont really care about this minigame, i'm fine with it existing though
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Companions and Digging version 3.0. Do you remember how those turned out - glorified mini games you can find more innovation and thought put into them on a free phone app with ads. To me, this is the 3rd year in a row where they're dropping the ball for an easy out.

Half baked, not at all what people expected, way too grindy, tedious, useless in most aspects of the game. I feel like these will unfortunately be the main descriptors of the new card game, but I hope I'm wrong.

Looking back as someone who's been around since the beginning, I have not seen anyone ask for these mechanics, not anywhere close to previous requests that HAVE been fulfilled.

Here's some of the most popular requests that have been addressed over the years showing ZOS does listen, these were highly discussed topics:
    1. Justice system/Theives guild. *Paid DLC*
    2. Dark Brotherhood. *Paid DLC*
    3. Solo endgame content. Maelstrom Arena. *Paid DLC*
    4. Outfit system. *Free*
    5. Housing system. *Free-ish*
    6. No more VET ranks + play whereever and with whoever you want. *Free*
    7. CP 2.0 to address the issues of power being too specific, hybrid unfriendly and end game gated. *Free*
    8. Zone guide. *Free*
    9. Guild store filtering like add-ons. *Free*
    10. Ability bar timers like add-ons. *Free*
    11. Armory system. *Free-ish*
    12. Way to respec our skills, without starting completely from scratch. *Free*
    13. 2 Handed weapons counting as 2 pieces for sets instead of 1 piece. *Free*
    14. Stamina as a playstyle (use to just be weapon skills and very little in the way of class skills) *Free*
    15. Ice staves as a damage playstyle. *Free* (Somewhat there, much better than before, definitely doable on Warden).
    16. Hybrid scaling for armor passives. *Free*
    17. Hybrid scaling for class passives. *Free*
    18. Hybrid scaling for gear. *Free*
    19. Hybrid scaling for weapons, use anything you want. *Free*
    20. Hybrid scaling for skills, use anything you want. *Free* (Coming with U33)
    21. Race updates, make them more viable for many playstyles while making them less necessary to a builds success. *Free* (Much more work needs to be done, but before these changes were made, it was MUCH...MUCH worse)
    22. Transmutation system to change traits on gear. *Free*
    23. Sticker book system to reconstruct items. *Free*
    24. Frost/Animal class. WARDEN. *Paid Chapter* (People expected 2 classes at the time, but Warden is still solid thematically.)
    25. Small scale instanced based PVP. Battlegrounds. *Paid Chapter* Now turned *Free*
    26. Jewelry Crafting. *Paid Chapter*
    27. New guild with active combat abilities. Psijic Order. *Paid Chapter*
    28. Necromancy class. NECROMANCER. *Paid Chapter*
    29. More end game arena's like Maelstrom and Dragonstar = Vateshran and Black Rose Prison! *Paid DLCs*
    30. Account wide achievements. *Free*

So quite a lot.. they do listen and the game is a lot better today than it once was.

Here are some of the most requested things that have NOT been addressed:
    1. Spellcrafting. By far number 1 in terms of requests I've seen because ZOS is the one who put the idea in our minds that it was possible when they announced they were designing the system way back before the game even launched. It's taken a back seat, but no one at ZOS has ever stated it's been officially canned so many people still have hopes it will make a return and the adjustments to the combat system throughout the past few years were signs that they were making this possible.
    2. 1H + Magic/Rune Weapon. A dedicated melee magicka weapon skillline that so many of us were use to using in games like Skyrim. In fact, it was much more popular than it was to wield a staff since staves typically were based on charges and you could just cast regular spells for magicka. Magicka players have been stuck using staves and really only fire staves for the entire life cycle of the game.
    3. New class. I haven't seen as much popularity for something specific like we did when Necromancy and Frost/Animals were being theorized, but there is certainly an interest in something new to add to the 6 classes we have. I have seen Bard floated around, using a form of music for healing, buffing, and damage. I've seen a Berserker or Viking like class suggested. I've seen Spellmages frequently requested, although I believe that can be done on any class and has more to do with weapon/skill choice than an entire class. I've seen dedicated Summoners suggested since Warden, Necro and Sorc aren't really 100% summoning focussed.
    4. Water based pvp with boats. *Really, this was only introduced because of the new trailer, but it shows how desperate people are for more PVP content that they actually hoped a new chapter would innovate.. LOL instead we got Cards.
    5. Overland/quest updates in terms of difficulty. At least they are showing interest with the new official thread, but 90 + pages and no comments is dissapointing. We will see.
    6. Performance improvements.
    7. Cyro updates, anything new to update the same old.
    8. Ball group healing stacking.
    9. Server improvements.
    10. More battlegrounds maps.
    11. Flying mounts lol.
    12. Trial queuing system.
    13. Further Racial reworks.
    14. More guilds to play around with like Dark Brotherhood, Theiving and Psijic Order.
    15. Destruction staves and magic damage types in general being less reliant on FIRE damage. Shock and Frost mages should be a thing. At the bare minimum, Shock Sorcs and Frost Wardens.
    16. Server wide auction house. Coming from other MMO's the way ESO handles guild stores can be frustrating, annoying and tedious to deal with.

Yet.. They gave us Digging, Companions and now a Card Game. ZOS has become so out of touch with what the community really wants. It's a disaster and as many people have stated above, it seems like they're investing less into this game for some reason, as if they're just trying to cash out it's last few years.

Digging/Scrying:
    1. Fun for the first hour when the chapter released.. This quickly turns into tedium as it takes hours upon hours to level so you can starting farming the main thing this is meant for... MYTHICS.
    2. Any small satisfaction I got from playing the scrying minigame quickly dissapears the moment you get the extra stars and line perk. Even with the hardest scrying rarity, it's impossible to fail and there is 0 variety as you can make 4-5 lines in a row as the lines are long enough to get you to a node that gives you another line to use.
    3. Digging can still be somewhat challenging by comparison, but mostly due to dumb mistakes I make trying to do it so fast. They at least got this right as there IS variety and it does have somewhat of a challenge, scrying is just completely a joke.
    4. Regardless of challenge, it's hard not to see these 2 minigames as completely pointless. Had they not been introduced, Mythics could of still been released in another form of farming. Maybe then we wouldn't have to farm 5 leads taking on average 3hours each. Some leads take endless farming, I know people that have completed Dragonstar Arena upwards of 100 times in months. This is not fun. RNG is not fun. I can't believe this was a chapter selling mechanic we were remotely looking forward to. The carrot on the stick is not worth the endless treadmill to get to. It's just another way to keep us farming and wasting time instead of enjoying the game. That sucks.

Companions:
    1. Companions only help in overland where help isn't needed in the first place, they're not meant for endgame which implies they should be for beginners yet they're impossible for a new player to find as they're given from side quests in the middle of nowhere on a chapter/zone out of 7+ they may never touch.
    2. Boring to play with, rapport system is a bare minimum. Romancing or doing anything interesting with them does not exist, even a year after launch.
    3. Annoying, dialogue gets stale fast.
    4. Take way too long to level (especially for a new player which again, who is this for then?)
    5. Have very little build variety. Notice how no one actually theory crafts for Companions. It's basically throw whatever on, it doesn't matter anyway.
    6. Have no inventory.
    7. Skill choice is lacking, morphs don't exist, skill power and uniqueness is bare minimum. They don't remotely mirror the classes they're based on.
    8. Only 2 out of 6 classes to choose from.
    9. Only 2 out of 10 races to choose from.
    10. The gear they have is completely redundant provding only minor stat boosts instead of the vast array of unique sets available in the game we're use to and what makes ESO great and replayable.
    11. They can't even heal your characters summons, what is the point of this system?
    12. They can't tank any bosses, let alone mobs without getting destroyed because they stand in stupid.
    13. Their DPS is 5k, 10k at best when we're possible of doing 50-60k solo, 110k + in a group setting. They are about as strong as 1 single target dot the player can cast.

Card Game:
    1. Could be cool.. but based on the previous 2 mechanics it will be heavily monitized or extremely grindy, killing all fun it had.
    2. They already announced that this system will mix your deck with your oponents deck to try and even the playing field... Any hope we had of this being competitive like other popular card games goes out the window. Imagine spending hours upon hours making a perfect deck, theeory crafting different builds, only for ZOS to swap your deck around with your oponents so none of your synergies work and they get to enjoy all the hard work you put into customizing your deck. When I speak about inonvation and new ideas, this isn't one of them. This is a bad idea.
    3. If the only way to have a card game with someone is to walk up to them and "duel" them, this system will die out fast. How many people do you see duel vs how many people you see in dungeons, trials, arenas, BGs or Cyrodill. It's a fraction. Most of the dedicated duelers are gone. Without leaderboards, lobbies or a tournament system, this will go unplayed after the hype dies down after launch. What could make this interesting is if you were able to spectate, but I highly doubt it and would be very surprised if ZOS pulls that off.

That's a good list. But I disagree that AwA was free. It came at a high cost, sacrificing historical data and an excellent character tracking system. It is a price I did not want but was forced to pay. Also, I would have paid double the monetary value of a normal expansion to see it done properly and in a way that addressed the landslide of feedback about it which was summarily ignored. Instead of deleting 8 years of data to make room for a card game.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is gonna be another cash grab and pay-to-win.
    Browiseth wrote: »
    the notion that development time was somehow devoted to this minigame that could have been devoted to other portions of the game is misguided and completely misunderstands how video games are actually developed

The people within the studio that had the requisite skills to create the card game could have been doing something else within their skills to bring other things to the Chapter. Artists. Animators. Programmers. Writers. Etc.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love the idea of a card game (and I loved Gwent--even played the standalone game for a long time), but I don't like ToT. It's always hard to say exactly why a game is fun or not fun. I think it has to do with the pace of it. It's just boring. Long and slow.

I would have liked a simpler card game that more people are likely to start playing. I think the number of players who play more than a handful of ToT games will be very few. I believe it will flop unless they make major changes.

Tavern games in ESO would be awesome, but they missed the point. Almost no one wants a 30 minute game. They want a short 5 minute game. Even a dice table would be fun, could be a way for guilds to do certain events, like high roller gets to pick the weekly trial, or something like that. Simple tavern games. Darts could be fun. ToT is not fun.
    Edited by Pevey on 19 May 2022 14:32
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is gonna be another cash grab and pay-to-win.
    Pevey wrote: »
    I would have liked a simpler card game that more people are likely to start playing. I think the number of players who play more than a handful of ToT games will be very few. I believe it will flop unless they make major changes.

Tavern games in ESO would be awesome, but they missed the point. Almost no one wants a 30 minute game. They want a short 5 minute game. Even a dice table would be fun, could be a way for guilds to do certain events, like high roller gets to pick the weekly trial, or something like that. Simple tavern games. Darts could be fun. ToT is not fun.

I agree with this. I think they took the game too far and tried to do "ES Legends Lite". They have done the tavern game, now, but if they ever decide to revisit the idea and release a quick pick-up tavern game, that game will likely be more popular than ToT. This is especially true if non-participants can act as an audience, which would lend better to competitions and social activities.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    I think development time could've been spent on something else more important or another better feature.
    I think instead of a card game, they should of expanded on Fishing , and made it a full mini game. Allow us to craft or buy boats to go out to see and fish. Also add diving to swimming so we can find underwater treasure chests
    Options
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't feel like it should be a full main new feature.

All of them do, exactly a year after their own release - when the next chapter is released.

Sometimes they cut things from the chapter to sell them as their own "items" in the crown store, though. I remember having to buy the warden class in addition to buying the Vvardenfell DLC.
    Options
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like or dislike it. It's a bit like waiting for your new house and realizing the developer spent half the budget on the garage door.
    Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They become a DLC after the next chapter comes out. You don't get access to things like new job classes but I would only do it to play the quests and see the new instanced content.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on 20 May 2022 01:06
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On the one hand, I've always wanted card/tavern games added to make taverns a fun place to hang out, as they should be. They should be the social hubs like real life.

On the other hand, I wanted gambling games and games like checkers and chess, not a collectible card game.

So hmm.
    Options
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're poll is biased and benefits the ridiculous hate machine on the forums.

I like the card game and it is a done deal that it is going to be super popular no matter how much shade haters throw it's way.

Options
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't play/like card games.
    I don't hate the card game as long as I can safely ignore it without getting disadvantaged in what I actually want to do. There are plenty of things I would be willing to try given the opportunity but card game genre beyond the standard 52-card deck is not one.
    Options
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know Zos feels inclined to add the new Shiny Thing. But here's the thing, Zos has so much content, so many places to go, things to do. I would love for Zos to have the new shiny thing being addressing the core features of the game.

Updates to all Class and Universal Skill trees. Allow the Combat to evolve a bit.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
    Options
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't feel like it should be a full main new feature.
    Imagine this: someone used to give you a nice gift wrapped in colorful paper and a red ribbon every year. Now someone gives you only the red ribbon (yes a very beatiful ribbon) and expects you to be hyped as much.
    Options
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tries too hard to be unique
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a huge letdown when they announced this. All I could hear when they hyped it up, was, "life support approaching."
    Admittedly, I have not even seen as much as photos or videos of how it looks, just because I care so little. (Will obviously still play it when it comes.) Though I heard it's bigger and more diverse than initially pictures by ZoS.

Still, if next year will be even less impressive than this year, I think many will be disappointed.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DagenHawk wrote: »
    You're poll is biased and benefits the ridiculous hate machine on the forums.

I like the card game and it is a done deal that it is going to be super popular no matter how much shade haters throw it's way.

I am not sure why you call this survey "hate". I fully agree that people here will disagree with anything. I have experienced that myself, far too many times. But in this case the issue is that something is being added that has nothing to do with an MMO. It is being shoehorned in and THEN highlighted as the significant feature of a new expansion.

I am glad if you like it. Though it is a waste for me. I don't hate it yet, but I would like many Quality of Life changes far more.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Bighits
    Bighits
    ✭✭
    Boring, overly complicated and too long. I got better things to do than sit around and play cards when I log into ESO.
    Options
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't make much sense to me, it's not interesting in the context of an MMO and it seems out of place.

It feels like a cheap way of adding content, but it's not content I want.

Additionally, I feel like the effort that went into this could have been better spent in about 100 other places.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
    Options
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the best pvp eso has ever seen really. Much better rewards also

Just my two crowns
    Edited by RedTalon on 27 June 2022 11:26
    Options
  • Tharonil
    Tharonil
    ✭✭✭
    I'm playing this game nearly three times a day.

My only negative is, that it's a bit time consuming.

Often my games get interrupted by real life (phone calls, door bell), so I have to surrender and lost points.

For people without those interruptions it's really nice and relaxing.

Also the rank levels take a lot of time, so I will never challenge the card master npcs.
    Options
  • TrellyTB
    TrellyTB
    They should have made it so we could play it while the servers are down. :)

I don't hate it, I don't love it, I pretty much just ignore it but go back a bit now and then.
    Options
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the NPC yells right into my ear about that card game, but I don't even have High Isle.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another rigged poll that begins with a Conclusion based solely on an " Impression ".

Why did you not say:

Do you like the card game ? ( ) Yes
    ( ) No
    Please explain your answer

I suppose this might not have enough bias to it.

:#

Options