The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do you dislike the new feature: Tales of tribute card game?

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think development time could've been spent on something else more important or another better feature.
    The accent on the tutorial giver was very distracting, as well.

It's a Scottish brogue that is deliberately slowed down and over enunciated. I also found it quite distracting. But with all the obvious shortcuts they've been taking recently, I'd be surprised if they scrap it and pay another voice actor to redo the dialogue.

Edited by Jaraal on 27 April 2022 16:00
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think development time could've been spent on something else more important or another better feature.
    Fhritz wrote: »
    Actually, the game is really fun on the pts, I think it'll end up like antiquities or companions : not everyone will like it, but at the end a lot of people will enjoy and play this on a daily basis

Yeah but those of us who don't like to play cards or like or have companions, this chapter has nothing.

But we would have to pay the same over inflated price.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't feel like it should be a full main new feature.
    I’m not interested in playing a card game. Especially one that’s going to take 10-20 minutes per match.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play/like card games.
    I did the tutorial and played two other games after that. I liked the accent.

I didn't like that the tutorial told us so little about the game. I think ESO is counting on players doing the work for free and making video tutorials and posting them online, which stinks.
  • Mixalis966
    Mixalis966
    ✭✭✭
    Eso is lacking basic QoL upgrades and people are still facing issues with performance.The card game gets a lot of hate because the community wanted to see other changes.Adding a card game felt random.Ranked card matches felt like rubbing salt in the wound for all pvp players.I believe that if the game itself had less issues players would be more welcoming to the card game.
  • JohnBlacksad
    JohnBlacksad
    ✭✭
    I don't actually dislike the card game, i just want to be in the poll! :D
    Yeah but those of us who don't like to play cards or like or have companions, this chapter has nothing.

Nothing ...!? Um... Let's see.. NEW zone never seen before, NEW story quest, NEW world events, NEW trial, NEW collectibles, NEW houses/furnishings, NEW lore, NEW antiquities.. Should I go on...? I could go on.

Just like antiquities, the new card game is a secondary feature. Except this time it's more complex. You don't like it, that's ok, just like every year, they can't please everyone. But to say it has "nothing", is a bit of a stretch, don't you think x)...?
    Edited by JohnBlacksad on 10 May 2022 06:06
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me its because it doesn't enhance or diversify my character in anyway.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mixalis966 wrote: »
    Eso is lacking basic QoL upgrades and people are still facing issues with performance.The card game gets a lot of hate because the community wanted to see other changes.Adding a card game felt random.Ranked card matches felt like rubbing salt in the wound for all pvp players.I believe that if the game itself had less issues players would be more welcoming to the card game.

They added something that won't degrade server performance. That is obviously better than adding a new weapon skill line with new animations that lead to worse performance. They aren't going to stop adding things just because PvP performance is bad. I haven't played many MMOs, but I have watched Twitch streams and seen other games similarly struggling with large scale PvP performance. Can't stop developing a game in hopes of that being fixed.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All/some of the above (please, comment which ones).
    Not only all the above, but it is obvious that the card game will become a gate to other parts of the game that I do want. Just like the PvP skills that a PvE character needs, there is an underlying mindset that all characters MUST participate in everything, and they will force you into it. There are already daily endeavors for it, and there will be items you can only get by playing.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    They added something that won't degrade server performance.

That's not true at all. They specifically stated that they were removing achievement data (AWA) to make room for more systems (and achievement data), and they said that included the card game. So the card game will definitely hog it's share of resources.

Edit: I was going to link the quote in the AWA Q&A sticky thread, but it's disappeared somehow. Imagine that!

Edited by Jaraal on 10 May 2022 19:50
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please, comment why).
    I will quote Michael Caine from the film 'Harry Brown'.

'You have failed to maintain your weapon, son'

That is my general feeling of the next patch and the non resolved issues still plaguing the game.

• Gracous
    Gracous
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly this new chapter will be just like all the rest. It will be busy for about two weeks and then it will be a ghost town. The same three people will be on the leader boards for the card game and the rest will fall into obscurity.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fhritz wrote: »
    Actually, the game is really fun on the pts, I think it'll end up like antiquities or companions : not everyone will like it, but at the end a lot of people will enjoy and play this on a daily basis

But so many insist in another thread that we should always pay for expansions because "nothing is free" or something similar....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • JohnBlacksad
    JohnBlacksad
    ✭✭
    Gracous wrote: »
    Sadly this new chapter will be just like all the rest. It will be busy for about two weeks and then it will be a ghost town. The same three people will be on the leader boards for the card game and the rest will fall into obscurity.

This is perfectly not true at all. Antiquity is still very popular, most people I encounter have companions, Dragons are still farmed everyday by many, same as Blackwood and Deadlands bosses. So you are right in one way, though not the way you think : this new chapter will be just like all the rest, a new ground to play with. There isn't a single zone that is a ghost town.
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was astonished and disappointed to hear about the card game, as I'm hard pressed to think of anything less welcome (to me). I was more shocked to learn of a card game being shoved into ESO than if they had announced they were adding Battle Royale to Cyrodiil PVP! I mean...why? Who ever asked for this???

I disliked Antiquities, but at least it felt like it fit into the world, and doesn't take more than a minute to do. I can't see how any card game would take less than 5-10 minutes, if not more. A pointless time sink, IMO. I won't be going anywhere near it.
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't feel like it should be a full main new feature.
    Now that I've played it and had some time to digest, I'll give my re-evaluation;

The game itself is a repetitive party game for two players. The fact that it's only for two players seems like a system limitation; there is no real reason why this game couldn't be played by 2 to 4 players, other than the insistence that we pick 2 decks for a cost-reward mechanic and win condition. We don't get to choose what's in our decks aside from doing quests to get better versions of cards that are already in the decks, so it's not a competitive card game but a deck builder type party game. It's not a bad deck-builder party game, but since it's a 2 player game, it's less interesting than it could have been. The second win condition I mentioned above, that being gaining the favor of all 4 patrons, is impossible to achieve unless your opponent is not paying attention. It's less of a win condition, and more of an attention amplifier, since if you do not pay attention, you will lose to this mechanic.
    It's marketed as a competitive card game, but it's not. It's a casual party game with a built-in stress inducer to keep you on your toes the whole time. It's fun, but as I said before, TESL is a better competitive card game by far. But this game isn't really trying to be a competitive card game, despite what the devs say it is. It feels like you could play it for a while, but once you have all the cards and know all the mechanics of each card type, it would become a repetitive game that's boring to play, where you either steamroll your opponent because you know the game better, or the game lasts forever because you and your opponent are both proficient. The latter is probably fun to an extent, but I don't see this game having too much longevity. I could be proven wrong, but it will probably die down to a small community that loves the game after 6 months, and everyone else will only do it for daily rewards.
    Edited by merpins on 11 May 2022 21:04
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It does not fit the theme of the game at all and seems like a cheap excuse to claim some new feature.

I am also strongly suspicious that card packs will be sold in the Crown store.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Punches_Below_Belt
    Punches_Below_Belt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having played the card game relentlessly since it was launched on the PTS, I can assure you this is no slap-dash substitution someone came up with quickly. It is complex and elaborately thought out and we still haven’t seen all the aspects yet. The upgrade cards and competitive rewards have not been activated yet.

Since both players play from the same decks, I also don’t see much incentive or appeal in acquiring additional decks through the crown store. For a deck to be that attractive, it’s features would have to be pretty extreme and would likely raise a clamor of “Pay-to-win”.

Thus far, ZOS has seemed sensitive to that concern. I don’t see any reason this card game is going to change that. They have big enough pr hurdles to overcome with the feature.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't need "Guwent of witcher3" for the ESO. It's a another lazy contents.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly couldn't care less about a card game. That isn't why I bought ESO. If I wanted to play a card game I'd go do that.
    And I'm dreading that they are doing to hide must have PVE things behind it. Like we have to do boring grindy scrying to get must have mythics.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I've been on the pts, and about the last thing I'd do is try the card game. I have checked out the new area and the new trial. Might do so some parsing to see what a wreck has been made of the MagDK thanks to PVP whinging AGAIN.....
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think a card game makes sense in ESO. ESO is a mmorpg not a card game.
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Tales of Tribute will be a huge flop. I played the tutorial and couldn't even finish it. It doesn't feel like ESO or an MMO.

bFoqciS.png

They should improve the existing systems instead of adding parasitic features like a card game.

:/ agree
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well as on console don’t have access to PTS so will have to wait until goes live. But have to say have no powerful feelings for or against beforehand - will have to try it & then make judgement.

And for those complaining about the accent? Is it not Billy Boyd doing it, in one of the most dulcet gorgeous Scottish accents there is? How is it bad?! (Far better than some grating American one 😘)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Having played the card game relentlessly since it was launched on the PTS, I can assure you this is no slap-dash substitution someone came up with quickly. It is complex and elaborately thought out and we still haven’t seen all the aspects yet. The upgrade cards and competitive rewards have not been activated yet.

Since both players play from the same decks, I also don’t see much incentive or appeal in acquiring additional decks through the crown store. For a deck to be that attractive, it’s features would have to be pretty extreme and would likely raise a clamor of “Pay-to-win”.

Thus far, ZOS has seemed sensitive to that concern. I don’t see any reason this card game is going to change that. They have big enough pr hurdles to overcome with the feature.

That would be good if true (no Crown decks), but it still does not seem like an appropriate part of an MMO.

What other types of games are going to get shoved in ESO in the future instead of more MMO content?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hoping next year is combat system
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well as on console don’t have access to PTS so will have to wait until goes live. But have to say have no powerful feelings for or against beforehand - will have to try it & then make judgement.

And for those complaining about the accent? Is it not Billy Boyd doing it, in one of the most dulcet gorgeous Scottish accents there is? How is it bad?! (Far better than some grating American one 😘)

My ears don't speak Scottish.
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to give it a try, a reason to spend more time in a tavern besides provisioning station.
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    I guess i'd play a session or two with Mirri, provided she had new dialogue to comment on it? To you know, pass time while we both wait for romance option. Which i totally expected this year.
    Never liked card games, otherwise.
  • JonnytheKing
    JonnytheKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    its just bad and boring, im sorry but i dont think they could of done a worse job
    TWITCH jtk__gaming
    GM of Elder-Skills DC PVP Guild NA
    Main Toons
    MagSorc
    MagTemp
  • Solantris
    Solantris
    ✭✭✭
    Commenting to clarify, i like new features and content like this but I just feel like there are many base game things that could have benefited from those resources.